Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how tf is anaconda a slasher r u loving with me its a creature feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

You could probably say that some of the earlier slashers might get a PG-13 today, like Halloween or Texas Chainsaw. Maybe they'd get the R just based on "disturbing content" or whatever, but maybe not.

Really the only constant you can expect out of the MPAA are if there is a visible dick, you're going to get an R rating.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

how tf is anaconda a slasher r u loving with me its a creature feature

It’s a “a taco is a sandwich” level of genre inclusiveness.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

oh so u mean its not a slasher at all

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

If Anaconda counts, Jaws 2 should count too, that's even got a bunch of teenagers who get picked off one by one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's pretty clearly defined in the title, slasher is about the slashing. Hard to do good, gory slasher kills within the PG-13 rating. Creature feature on the other hand is all about the creature, that's the main draw. So you can get away with much less in the gore department.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
uh hello this movie is clearly a stabber, not a slasher

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Spaghetti and meatballs is a deconstructed meatball submarine sandwich.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Darthemed posted:

uh hello this movie is clearly a stabber, not a slasher

Can Nightmare on Elm Street be considered a slasher if Freddy only exists in dreams?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Basebf555 posted:

You could probably say that some of the earlier slashers might get a PG-13 today, like Halloween or Texas Chainsaw. Maybe they'd get the R just based on "disturbing content" or whatever, but maybe not.

For TCM it'd be the visceral shots of corpses and such. For Halloween it'd be the titties and the cavalier representation of teenage drug use and sex.

Which is to say, there are lots of reasons why a room full of anonymous, mostly rich white people would give a film an R-rating, none of which really have anything to do with the intrinsic quality of the movie. This even bares out in the context of slasher films.

Maybe people are conflating "slasher films" with "splatter films"? They overlap, but they're not the same thing. Go back and watch Black Christmas, it's a decidedly chaste movie. In fact, I'd argue that the best slasher films to experience are consistently more focused on emphasizing some morbid theme rather than how technically explicit they are. And, again, what ends up being explicit enough to get you an R-rating is highly dubious.

Kvlt! posted:

there are good pg13 horror movies but there has never been a good pg13 slasher movie ever

Happy Death Day

edit:

Let's also be clear here - the R-rating just means that a trust of the major film studios decided that the film was appropriate for someone as young as 13 to see as long as they're accompanied by a parent. Instead of talking about arbitrary content classifications, let's maybe talk about things like... good filmmaking.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
A hot dog is a slasher.

Hot Dog…The Movie is a sandwich

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 11, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If I put a slice of bread on each side of a Meatballs 2 DVD then it is a slasher.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunkboxer posted:

A hot dog is a slasher.

Hot Dog…The Movie is a sandwich

The Taco Bell Beef Canoe is a creature feature.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

COOL CORN posted:

God the new Black Christmas looks poo poo poo poo poo poo

Awwwwww....but I don't want it to be bad, I want it to be good!

Kvlt! posted:

there are good pg13 horror movies but there has never been a good pg13 slasher movie ever

Case in point: Krampus was PG13 and it's the best Christmas horror movie ever. Also Germlins, the reason the PG13 rating exists and the second greatest Christmas horror movie ever made, is an excellent movie.

PG13 horror movies are for the most part pretty great (a lot of my personal favorites had that rating), but you're right that none of the good PG13 horror movies are slashers. The whole point of a slasher is to show a whole bunch of violence and blood and crazy kills and you just can't do that within the confines that a PG13 rating entails.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

only a complete hopeless poser would say Krampus is a better Xmas horror movie than Black Christmas and Christmas Evil

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Krampus may not be the best Christmas horror movie ever but it's certainly the best one in quite a long time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

only a complete hopeless poser would say Krampus is a better Xmas horror movie than Black Christmas and Christmas Evil

You forgot silent night deadly night

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Tried to watch American Mary last night but couldn’t stand the terrible writing and editing. There’s a scene where Mary’s phone rings and then cuts to the end of class except now she is apologizing for falling asleep? Also, the writers need to learn the difference between a character and a caricature. Stopped when a surgeon at a party just kept repeating something about cutting people. Surprised that movie has decent reviews.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

You forgot silent night deadly night

Silent Night Deadly Night, Christmas Evil, and Black Christmas are like the holy trilogy of Christmas horror movies.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Snack Bitch posted:

Tried to watch American Mary last night but couldn’t stand the terrible writing and editing. There’s a scene where Mary’s phone rings and then cuts to the end of class except now she is apologizing for falling asleep? Also, the writers need to learn the difference between a character and a caricature. Stopped when a surgeon at a party just kept repeating something about cutting people. Surprised that movie has decent reviews.

I think you were supposed to watch it when you were a teenager and it was brand new; most of its charm was novelty that it doesn't have anymore.

edit: Holy gently caress that movie's not nearly as old as I thought. I, uh, I dunno. I got nothin' over here.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Everyone's still sleeping on Dial Code Santa Claus, and I'm over here scowling.

I'm on Letterboxd. I see all of you.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't heard of this but it looks like it's on Shudder, so I'll check it out soon.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Soska Sisters are obviously really huge horror fans and also evidence why you can't just give a camera to any nerd at a HorrorCon with encyclopedic knowledge of the genre and get a good film.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Franchescanado posted:

Seriously, I got to see this at the Fantastic Fest last year and I couldn’t believe how good it was. According to the director during the Q&A, that was the first US screening of the movie. Good that it’s finally getting the distribution it deserves.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

i'm not K Waste but i can sorta see that one because Event Horizon would be a very difficult plot to try and sneak chud poo poo into, and Zahler's other big thing is totally loving ridonkulous gore

also, yeah, American Mary is just okayish and the Soskas have done literally nothing else worthwhile

e: it just occurred to me that WWE is probably behind at least a chunk of the buzz the Soskas have gotten, given like half of their filmography is for WWE Films

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 11, 2019

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Rewatched Misery last night with some company, and we all realized upon rewatching that Paul Sheldon was the same dude as the dad from Elf, who coincidentally is a guy who works in book publishing in New York and hates the holiday season for some mysterious reason. So now I'm convinced Elf is a sequel to Misery, about a PTSD-suffering Paul Sheldon confronting his trauma and overcoming his fears of eccentric strangers, and also Christmas I guess.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bert of the Forest posted:

Rewatched Misery last night with some company, and we all realized upon rewatching that Paul Sheldon was the same dude as the dad from Elf, who coincidentally is a guy who works in book publishing in New York and hates the holiday season for some mysterious reason. So now I'm convinced Elf is a sequel to Misery, about a PTSD-suffering Paul Sheldon confronting his trauma and overcoming his fears of eccentric strangers, and also Christmas I guess.

YOu can't trick me into watching Elf a second time

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm not K Waste but i can sorta see that one because Event Horizon would be a very difficult plot to try and sneak chud poo poo into, and Zahler's other big thing is totally loving ridonkulous gore

It’ll just be Event Horizon but the minority characters get it even worse.

The gore was garbo in Littlest Reich.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

weekly font posted:

The Soska Sisters are obviously really huge horror fans and also evidence why you can't just give a camera to any nerd at a HorrorCon with encyclopedic knowledge of the genre and get a good film.

They were also in a Lucifer Valentine film which... yeah. That's not great.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Iron Crowned posted:

Tell me I'm wrong.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

The gore was garbo in Littlest Reich.

he didn't direct that one, he just wrote it. haven't seen Dragged and don't plan to, but Bone Tomahawk and Brawl both have legit good gore.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bert of the Forest posted:

Tell me I'm wrong.

Elf/Mother! double feature

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

The nazi rape movie or

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
On the topic of Misery, Caste Rock season 2 just wrapped up and actually managed to stick the landing this time.

Quality season, Tim Robbins got a good chance to shine (hah).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Burkion posted:

The nazi rape movie or
That would be Elves.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kvlt! posted:

I prefer cool looking monsters to boring old regular rear end humans with knives, if that makes me a poser then so be it :colbert:

Anyway, Black Christmas is the third best Christmas horror movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Black Christmas and Christmas Evil are masterpieces but I don't think Silent Night, Deadly Night deserves to be included in that category. It's good but I have more fun watching Krampus.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My sincere pick for Christmas trifecta are Black Christmas, Christmas Evil and Dial Code Santa Claus now. I still like Gremlins as a Christmas movie, despite it's flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FINE I WILL WATCH DIAL CODE FRAN