Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I got my Shield TV setup yesterday and it is seriously the poo poo. Even Sling TV, which I was ready to write off, works well on it now that it's had an update.

It's still a little pricey at $175 (with remote) but you get what you pay for. Kodi works like a champ on it (I am using it with the Emby for Kodi addon as the actual Emby app on Android isn't as good), I can launch Netflix, etc. off it, and TV through Sling. If Amazon would stop acting like a bunch of dickheads - they actually made an Android TV app for Prime, then limited it to Sony TVs - it would be the perfect all in one.

I know the Nexus player offers a similar experience and is a lot cheaper, but the Shield TV has a major advantage in that it is incredibly fast, as fast as my old NUC i3 Kodi setup if not faster. You can also stream PC games and their Grid service on it if that is your bag.

This thing has improved a great deal over the past few months and gotten cheaper to boot. Last time I looked at getting one it was riddled with small, annoying errors but those days appear to be gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ixian posted:

I got my Shield TV setup yesterday and it is seriously the poo poo. Even Sling TV, which I was ready to write off, works well on it now that it's had an update.

It's still a little pricey at $175 (with remote) but you get what you pay for. Kodi works like a champ on it (I am using it with the Emby for Kodi addon as the actual Emby app on Android isn't as good), I can launch Netflix, etc. off it, and TV through Sling. If Amazon would stop acting like a bunch of dickheads - they actually made an Android TV app for Prime, then limited it to Sony TVs - it would be the perfect all in one.

I know the Nexus player offers a similar experience and is a lot cheaper, but the Shield TV has a major advantage in that it is incredibly fast, as fast as my old NUC i3 Kodi setup if not faster. You can also stream PC games and their Grid service on it if that is your bag.

This thing has improved a great deal over the past few months and gotten cheaper to boot. Last time I looked at getting one it was riddled with small, annoying errors but those days appear to be gone.

I agree. In addition to your points, I like having Google voice search available on the TV if I need to know an actor or something similar. Having the Chromecast capability meant that I could easily stream football to that TV from a tab on my laptop yesterday. Very nice.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

emocrat posted:

Anyone got experience with the roku 4?

I got one when it first came out. I had an issue with a noisy fan (as apparently a large batch had this issue). I contacted Roku and they sent me a new one that is perfect.

I have been very happy with my purchase. I do not have a 4K tv but it is a much faster interface. If my internet would stop crapping out, i would be even happier. Before the issues, loading times were faster and I did not buffer on Watch ESPN. Unless the extra $30 is too much, I would suggest a 4 over a 3.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

I agree. In addition to your points, I like having Google voice search available on the TV if I need to know an actor or something similar. Having the Chromecast capability meant that I could easily stream football to that TV from a tab on my laptop yesterday. Very nice.

I've only used this a little so far but you are right, it's voice search that works well. The FireTV version isn't nearly as good.

I also love the fact you can plug headphones in to the remote and turn it in to the perfect "wife is sleeping" device - I was using terrible IR headphones before. The Roku has this too (some of them) but my Roku is regulated to the guest room for my in laws.

I need to find a way to set up a good keymap (similar to the FireTV) for Flirc on it, so the same remote buttons work for both, right now only about half my IR remote buttons work with the Flirc between Android TV and XBMC. In particular the "back" button needs to be remapped.

Edit: I didn't think about this, but Chromecast support means I could stream Amazon Prime from my Surface tablet/Chrome right? That's one thing those asshats can't limit I think.

Most stuff I can get on Netflix or HBO Now but Prime does have a few decent originals now.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 24, 2015

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ixian posted:

Edit: I didn't think about this, but Chromecast support means I could stream Amazon Prime from my Surface tablet/Chrome right? That's one thing those asshats can't limit I think.

Most stuff I can get on Netflix or HBO Now but Prime does have a few decent originals now.

Yep, that's true. Fire it up in Chrome, then cast away!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have been able to get 10-15 digital channels through my cable internet set up for the last 10 months. Today, all of the digital channels are "NO Signal" but I am getting 10 analog channels.

Does it sound like the "free ride" has ended or could it just be an issue with the digital channels (since we are still getting analog channels)?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have been able to get 10-15 digital channels through my cable internet set up for the last 10 months. Today, all of the digital channels are "NO Signal" but I am getting 10 analog channels.

Does it sound like the "free ride" has ended or could it just be an issue with the digital channels (since we are still getting analog channels)?

Get them how? Over QAM, or via CableCard?

The former, it's likely they finally got around to scrambling QAM - most providers in the US unfortunately do these days, since a court case about 3 years ago that cleared the way for them to do that.

For the latter, it's possible they flipped the channels to "copy-once" or some other scheme that requires DRM, which in turn requires a compliant system (like Windows Media Center) of which there are very few for HTPCs (basically, Windows Media Center).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

QAM I believe.

A friend has an extra "box" that they gave out last year when they announced that everyone had to have a cable box or one of these boxes. Would that work for me?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yes. It's just a little cable box. But you will have to pay for a TV package.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Yes. It's just a little cable box. But you will have to pay for a TV package.

So it does not just descramble the signal? Does it have cable card or signifying number that designates what it can show?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

So it does not just descramble the signal? Does it have cable card or signifying number that designates what it can show?

There are converter boxes, yes, but I don't think that is what you need if QAM was already working for you. If your cable company has started to scramble QAM your options are to buy a cable package - even a cheap, local only one - or switch to an OTA (over the air) antenna.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Okay. We live in the middle of nowhere and due to the trees that surround our house, we cannot get any good signals.

Thanks for the information though. The analog channels will give us the local news at least.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Okay. We live in the middle of nowhere and due to the trees that surround our house, we cannot get any good signals.

Thanks for the information though. The analog channels will give us the local news at least.

Dont be surprised if those also go away very soon.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Shouldn't have a cablecard, its just a tiny dumb cablebox. Usually shows a channel number and thats it. No guide or anything

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I've got an OTA antenna at the top of my Christmas list but honestly I may cave and pick one up before then. My house is situated pretty ideally and I want to get one up in the attic or higher (I've got a conduit running to my roof anyway so I wouldn't even have to punch holes in anything) and see what all I can pull in. I've used a setup at a friends place recently and it's simply cool as poo poo getting HD caliber video magically over the airwaves, and PBS owns. I'd also be curious to drive out to the in-laws place in the very very flat sticks about 30 minutes away and see what they'd be capable of pulling in and comparing.

What's the latest and greatest site to check to see what I can get in this area at such and such elevation? The last I checked I could get a few basic channels (Fox, PBS, NBC, CBS, etc) which is totally cool with me, I was just curious if any more have snuck in since then.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Check out Broadband Reports; there are lots of ISP-specific forums there. If yours is among them (and it probably is) you'd be surprised what you can learn. At the very least you can ask other users in the same zip code area if they have seen the same problem.

Tyson Tomko posted:

nutes away and see what they'd be capable of pulling in and comparing.

What's the latest and greatest site to check to see what I can get in this area at such and such elevation? The last I checked I could get a few basic channels (Fox, PBS, NBC, CBS, etc) which is totally cool with me, I was just curious if any more have snuck in since then.

http://antennaweb.org is still the best resource for this last I checked.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Ixian posted:

http://antennaweb.org is still the best resource for this last I checked.

Thanks! Hopefully in the next month or so I'll do it to it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tyson Tomko posted:

I've got an OTA antenna at the top of my Christmas list but honestly I may cave and pick one up before then. My house is situated pretty ideally and I want to get one up in the attic or higher (I've got a conduit running to my roof anyway so I wouldn't even have to punch holes in anything) and see what all I can pull in. I've used a setup at a friends place recently and it's simply cool as poo poo getting HD caliber video magically over the airwaves, and PBS owns. I'd also be curious to drive out to the in-laws place in the very very flat sticks about 30 minutes away and see what they'd be capable of pulling in and comparing.

Antennaweb or tvfool. Solidsignal even has a form where you give them all your info and they can recommend a product.

http://www.solidsignal.com/p/ota.asp?d=tv-antenna-selector-help&mc=03

If you do a roof install make sure everything gets grounded properly.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I've had the Charter Spectrum Stream service for about a month now and it's been almost perfect. It's only froze maybe once or twice and the stream looks really good. If you are sick of paying out your rear end for their cable service and have charter internet I would recommend it since it comes with NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC. Also you get to choose between HBO and Showtime.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My Nexus Player is ok, but I think I need to get a USB Ethernet adapter. My house is sort of long, and the NP is in the basement with my HT gear. I have a switch near it, but not decent wireless. So either I get a new AP or I can just plug it in. I already have an OTG adapter, so I just need a USB Ethernet port.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I got one when it first came out. I had an issue with a noisy fan (as apparently a large batch had this issue). I contacted Roku and they sent me a new one that is perfect.

I have been very happy with my purchase. I do not have a 4K tv but it is a much faster interface. If my internet would stop crapping out, i would be even happier. Before the issues, loading times were faster and I did not buffer on Watch ESPN. Unless the extra $30 is too much, I would suggest a 4 over a 3.

Cool, thanks. I probably will go ahead and do it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rad Valtar posted:

I've had the Charter Spectrum Stream service for about a month now and it's been almost perfect. It's only froze maybe once or twice and the stream looks really good. If you are sick of paying out your rear end for their cable service and have charter internet and it's available in your area I would recommend it since it comes with NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC. Also you get to choose between HBO and Showtime.

I keep checking with Charter, and nope, I still can't get it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Thermopyle posted:

I keep checking with Charter, and nope, I still can't get it.

Thanks for adding that, I didn't realize that it was only available in certain areas.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My Nexus Player is ok, but I think I need to get a USB Ethernet adapter. My house is sort of long, and the NP is in the basement with my HT gear. I have a switch near it, but not decent wireless. So either I get a new AP or I can just plug it in. I already have an OTG adapter, so I just need a USB Ethernet port.

You would probably get more benefit out of an AP on that side of the house.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
After living here for 13 months, I finally went on the roof and redirected the antenna.
Holy crap, 176 channels.
75% of which are either religious bullshit or foreign language channels.

At least I finally get all the basics.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does HDHomeRun require a cable subscription? Or is it Over the air, as in if my reception at my apartment is poo poo it won't be a good solution for me?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Does HDHomeRun require a cable subscription? Or is it Over the air, as in if my reception at my apartment is poo poo it won't be a good solution for me?

They have two versions. One for over the air and one for cable. If your apartment has bad signal try getting an amplified antenna and put it up high in your apartment. I got one for my house where on my old antenna got nothing. I got a Winegard Flatwave amplified antenna and I get 140+ channels.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

In the last two weeks, my Roku has added channels for Watch ABC Family, Watch Food Network, Watch HGTV and USA Now. ABC Family, Food network and HGTV allow live streaming of the channel (too bad USA does not) but with my in-laws cable log in, I am getting more and more content to watch online. I had tried out another 2 month trial of Sling TV to see how it had improved (I tested it out the first week and was not impressed) but with these channels now being offered, Sling is becoming less of a necessity.

Cord cutting keeps getting easier and easier to use.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I really don't think Sling is a good deal for literally anybody but college football/basketball fans of nationally televised teams.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Somehow I don't think it counts as easy cord cutting of it is dependent on using your parents' cable login.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Somehow I don't think it counts as easy cord cutting of it is dependent on using your parents' cable login.

They use our log ins for several streaming services. I was talking more about how more and more content providers are creating streaming services. As they see the response, that can lead to more online options for content.

Yes, you still need a cable log in to view the live stream but all of them offer some of their content without log in credentials. When I started, the only way my wife could watch ABC Family shows was by hooking a computer to our tv. Those days are past because content is accessible through so many devices now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm all for a 3:1 cable login sharing triangle :P

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

They use our log ins for several streaming services. I was talking more about how more and more content providers are creating streaming services. As they see the response, that can lead to more online options for content.

Yes, you still need a cable log in to view the live stream but all of them offer some of their content without log in credentials. When I started, the only way my wife could watch ABC Family shows was by hooking a computer to our tv. Those days are past because content is accessible through so many devices now.

Yes, but you wrote "Cord cutting keeps getting easier and easier to use" and when you need to use your in-laws cable company login to accomplish much of what you are doing it's not cord-cutting. In fact it's holding on to more than one cord, in a manner of speaking :)

More companies need to follow HBO/etc. lead and offer a subscription service that doesn't need to be tied to a cable TV account. Not that I am holding my breath.

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Spittin is a nasty habbit...
I'm hoping I can get some input here on what new media device I should buy. Some background: I have previously used a WDTV, The Boxee Box, and right now I'm using an OUYA with XBMC.

I REALLY enjoyed the Boxee Box until Boxee got bought out and stopped supporting it. It seemed like it could play any file format that I threw at it with no issues. With the OUYA running XBMC I am constantly having issues where the audio does not work correctly or the videos freeze up or play choppy if they are 1080p quality. It seems like the only format that works consistently is 720p .mp4 files. I do most of my media watching off of a NAS/home network and so I care about reliability there more than anything.

I see a few comments above about the NVIDIA Shield TV and how it is a great media streaming device. Does it have its own native GUI built in for streaming media though a home network? Or do I need to run PLEX OR XBMC or something like that? I don't keep up with the latest trends or know much about 3rd party applications for streaming. I just want a device that can play any (or at least most) file formats across a home network without issue and is user friendly. Any input is appreciated.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
If you're looking for out-of-the-box support the NVIDIA Shield is fine for your needs. It has a perfectly good GUI for local media support. You'll get more customization from Kodi (which you can sideload on the Shield), but from what you need, you're not going to see huge price savings by gbuilding your own system for Kodi. The only difference here is that the Shield isn't upgradeable, may not support future media specifications, and lacks the optionality you get with having a full-on linux/windows box.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Slowhanded posted:

If you're looking for out-of-the-box support the NVIDIA Shield is fine for your needs. It has a perfectly good GUI for local media support. You'll get more customization from Kodi (which you can sideload on the Shield), but from what you need, you're not going to see huge price savings by gbuilding your own system for Kodi. The only difference here is that the Shield isn't upgradeable, may not support future media specifications, and lacks the optionality you get with having a full-on linux/windows box.

Most of the "tiny box" alternatives aren't worth upgrading anyway even if they have the option.

Just buy a Shield. They are on sale again with the remote. Then put Kodi on it. You'll probably (definitely) have to do a little reading/fiddling but it's easy and once you get it set the way you like you'll wonder why it took you so long.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Other than gigabit ethernet and the SD card slot what benefits does the Shield have over the Fire TV at half the price?

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Spittin is a nasty habbit...

Ixian posted:

Most of the "tiny box" alternatives aren't worth upgrading anyway even if they have the option.

Just buy a Shield. They are on sale again with the remote. Then put Kodi on it. You'll probably (definitely) have to do a little reading/fiddling but it's easy and once you get it set the way you like you'll wonder why it took you so long.

Thank you Slowhanded and Ixian. Where are they on sale?

Hadlock posted:

Other than gigabit ethernet and the SD card slot what benefits does the Shield have over the Fire TV at half the price?

Curious about this as well. I think other users have said that the Shield is faster. Also, can the Fire TV side load? Edit: Yes it can. Either way, I'm leaning towards the Shield after all the positive feedback on here.

Spittin Wheelie fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 19, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Passthrough audio isn't fully supported natively on FireTV. Last time I checked, you couldn't get any multichannel audio out of the third party apps on the revised model, though that may have been patched in by now. One workaround is to sideload Kodi, but the device is still quite underpowered compared to a Shield.

The best home theater solution is to run Kodi off an actual Linux/Windows box, but that's overkill for most people.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 19, 2015

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

It runs Android TV which in the opinion of many beats the poo poo out of FireOS but different strokes for different folks and all that.

Also has a better CPU and the USB ports are usable for storage.

The remote also supports headphones (like the premium Roku devices) which is a feature not to be overlooked if you watch TV in bed or a noisy environment.

The FTV does play Prime Videos though, thanks to Amazons lovely lock out policy (though I find the way it melds them in to its regular interface to be annoying).

I have both and the FTV is regulated to the guest bedroom while the Shield has taken over as my main streamer/Kodi box for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Boxee already stopped supporting the bb before they got bought. They released that stupid boxee TV poo poo, those people really got screwed