Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:2 more oaths for August! Fiona the Black and an Iron Golem:siren:
Fiona is Privateer Press, the golem is Reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So I primed my models for this month early on, and just painted two of the three, but I've discovered the third is missing an arm - if I paint him in his box color scheme but he's, uh, partially disarmed, can I still claim the box art bonus?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Can I add to an existing oath, still?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Weirdo posted:

I Weirdo Oath three warmachine Objective Markers for the Month of August (Privateer Press, 30mm).

Black_Nexus posted:

I black_Nexus Oath one GW skeleton for the month of August!

Tadhg posted:

I, Tadhg, swear a fell Oath to paint Sharkey and Worm (Saruman and Grima) for the month of August..

overthefalls posted:

I, overthefalls, oath 1 Menoth Crusader from Privateer Press for the month of August.

Android posted:

I, Android, oath one GW ork kannon

Red Shoe posted:

2 more oaths for August! Fiona the Black and an Iron Golem

Accepted.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Under 15 posted:

Can I add to an existing oath, still?

No, when you posted your question you were 50 minutes too late already.

BTW, check Leperflesh's prize winner posts (links are in the 2nd post of the OP), I think you owe me your address from the June prize draws!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Tadhg posted:

I, Tadhg, swear a fell Oath to paint Sharkey and Worm (Saruman and Grima) for the month of August..

They're both from the GW Lord of the Rings miniatures line.

For the Shire! :hist101:

Tadhg you reprobate I still owe you a prize! Get in touch!

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath Complete :siren: One GW Ork Battlewagon

Detektuv’s Jurnal: Weathering This wagon has lived a tough life. Its paint is scratched and peeling, and that mud needs cleaning off

Because it can be configured with either a ram, a deff-rolla, or just as-is, I had to make use of the montage rule to show everything off. Hopefully this fits with the intended spirit/purpose of this rule.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
OATH COMPLETE
Aurora, Numen of Aerogenesis and a Skorne Titan Cannoneer
The lights on Aurora were the first time that OSL really clicked for me. I think they look pretty good, though it's hard to see in these photos. I then did the titan and tried OSL from the torch (on his hand), which came out pretty good too. Still working on photo quality, but getting better I think.

Aurora

Titan

Detectuvs Jernal is the powder residue on the front of the cannon barrel.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

Detektiv's Jurnal: the Weathering Both tanks got mudded-up pretty well. I did the paint weathering slightly differently on each tank. On the Renault I used a lot of washes, then fixed the colors by re-applying the base color before highlighting. On Char 2C (green one), I did the same thing but also vertically streaked the highlight color (mixed with the base color) to break up the huge flat surfaces and make them more visually interesting. There are chips and flakes throughout.

This is a Themed Group (:france:)

The gun and muffler on the Renault are Conversions (scratch-built).

Backstory: I originally posted this in the modelling / painting thread, but here's the Poitou's non-fiction story:

moths posted:

It's a French FCM 2c super-heavy, the largest operational tank ever. Only ten were produced, and each was named after a region of ancient France. This one is No 90, Poitou, which had a sweet olde-timey skull and crossbones painted on the fore turret.

Usually I'm weird about wargaming with proper nouns. It just feels disrespectful to the actual people represented. But in this case, it's a 100% "what-if" scenario. The FCM 2C would have been the undisputed lord of WWI, but it was unsuited for 1940s combat. They served France mainly as a propaganda tool, starring in grainy footage and publicity photos but largely kept out of harm's way. Eventually things got bad enough that all ten were put into the same unit and loaded on a train for the front... which got stopped by a wreck on the tracks.

The psychological cost of losing their all-star tank boy-band to Germany was unacceptable, so they were skuttled with French demo charges. One survived (likely due to a faulty explosives) and the sole survivor (the Champagne) was taken as a trophy to Germany before becoming lost to history. Most likely, it was destroyed in a warehouse during the fall of Berlin, or captured by the Soviets.
:iiam:

So this tank, Poitou No.90, never saw combat. Nobody bled and died inside of it, and that's a big deal for me.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I promised these sooner than this, so many apologies. I've got some goodies coming in sept/oct so I'll see about setting up a little something special. And if I'm lucky, grabbing another sponsor! Was really disappointing going through the thread seeing some amazing projects that never got finished in the end. Save those Whales people!

Let Ye Be Judged!!!

1 point: Bucnasti

I've seen this guy painted up lots, but you really drove the rocky look home. But it's the bits of grass about it and the great shading that I'm tossing you the point for.

2 points: SRM

Lateral thinking earns you points! Cybernetic troops as plague marines works really well creatively for those Iron bros.

3 points: Android

Papa Nurgle loves you so loving much.

Bonus Point: enri

I really love the idea of using a 40k tiny ripper and converting it into an Epic big beastie.

Lots of great work as usual! Really makes it hard to narrow down to a lucky few!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Weirdo posted:

I Weirdo Oath three warmachine Objective Markers for the Month of August (Privateer Press, 30mm).

Is Warmachine really 30mm scale? I've been marking it as 28 all this time...

Android posted:

I, Android, oath one GW ork kannon

Is this a 40k miniature, or is it for Warhammer Fantasy?

moths posted:

The gun and muffler on the Renault are Conversions (scratch-built).

I don't have before/after photos for this. If you already posted them, I missed it: can you please provide?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hope so:

On the small beige tank, the muffler and machine-gun are both bits of sprue that I cut, drilled, and stuck paperclips in to build. They weren't parts that came with the kit - it originally had a 37mm cannon (which I didn't attach) and no exhaust. I could take a photo similar sprues and a paperclip if you need that, but I thought they were common enough materials that it wouldn't matter; Like submitting a 'before' photo of the green stuff blob before you sculpt something with it.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

The jurnal entry didn't come out so great in the photos, but his lower half and elbow pads, as well as the Tractor control device were liberally drybrushed a pale brown to represent general wartime dustiness.

Asphyxious fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 27, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

I hope so:

OK, that's good enough. I didn't notice that some parts of that tank were scratchbuilt. (Generally for conversions I'm looking for a specific "this is the model before conversion" and "this is the model after conversion (possibly painted or just naked)" photos. I can figure it out if people get me something reasonably decipherable, though, and you've done that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Leperflesh posted:

Is this a 40k miniature, or is it for Warhammer Fantasy?

I don't have before/after photos for this. If you already posted them, I missed it: can you please provide?

40k - the k on Ork implies that. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1620113a is the official one, though I'm pretty sure that's a conversion of an Imperial Guard one.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Bonus Point: enri

I really love the idea of using a 40k tiny ripper and converting it into an Epic big beastie.

Thank you :D I've got some more 40k to epic conversions coming up but they're going to be really big beasties (trygon, harridan, etc.. Both from a box of gargoyles and a few extra hormagant bits :) )

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
So apparently my bases are lost on the warp :smith:

May have to cop out and just paint a brown flat top.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I had always assumed it was the "heroic" 28mm, but the back of the box says 30mm so there is it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I think Warmahordes is 28mm the same way GW is, i.e. some of them are about that tall...

I'm more-or-less finished. I need to base the remaining 3 guys then varnish, but I reached the stage of 'gently caress it, Devlan Mud' at this point. Should be finished Wednesday (given time to glue on basing sand, let it dry, wash it, let it dry, then varnish).

Then, boooones motherfucker.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It'll be a race to the finish for me again, I've finished the Grels and just have lenses to do on the Aegis defence line, but I've got eight more minis to finish, with only the Aspiring Champion with base coats at this point.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
dear god, its the 26th already, uh...guess I am painting tonight. what happened to August?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
oath complete!

I'm so sorry about the quality of these pictures. I got stressed out due to a long trip for work for the rest of the month, and I haven't had time to set up a photo space in my new apartment. With that:

8 15mm samurai, with spears and swords

8 15mm samurai, with arquebuses, decapitated head or in the act of becoming casualties.

Again, sorry for the bleurgh photo quality.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Yeah I was hoping to do something funny with the cough-drop bag but have spent the last several nights cleaning up pet corpses and blood because of terrible bad luck so I'll probably just end up painting and flocking the drat thing. Just be happy to finish my actual oath in the next few days. sheesh.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Well, it's a small OATH, hardly worth mentioning, but it is ... COMPLETE. Got the test model for the color scheme on my Nurgle CSM/Daemon army done. Had to strip it and start over, but I think it'll work now. I'm considering going back to hit the wounds, pustules, and maggots with some gloss varnish, but I'm not sure. The bases turned out OK, as well - I got a whole slew cast up for the army. My Weathering for the Detektiv's Jurnal entry is the rusted plaguesword. I've never painted rust before, and I've got to say, I'm happy with the effect!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Updated my oath complete pics so they don't look like complete garbage. Still a bit blurry though, maybe I'm getting the ISO wrong still.

edit: changed them again, yep. ISO was way too high.

Asphyxious fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 27, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

Display board is done. Served me well at the OFCC earlier this month, though it barely fits in my lightbox.

Germ posted:

From my reading of the rules, the display board isn't part of your monthly oath, it's just a seasonal thing, right? If I'm wrong let me know, and I'll post a full oath (that I can always add to later). However, for now I REALLY need to get a display board painted for this weekend. Therefore:

That'd be an unpainted display board. Let me know if I need to oath it official!

And, all finished-like.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I've said it before but god drat I love your stuff.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Raphus C, Oath complete:

Detektiv's Jurnal:
There is scratched paintwork all over the bike and dirt plastered everywhere.

This marker also has rust:

I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 - There are 6 vehicle damage markers. I have craters and removable weapons for the rest.

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
Oath complete:

Closeup of the monthly jurnal (muddy feet and base):

Clickie for biggie

Ugly rear end mini, glad to be done with it. Now to continue packing up several thousand minis so they can be moved to a new apartment. Happy fun times all around :P

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

School has started back for me so I'm glad I only had two models oathed this time. Both are GW Chaos Terminators from the same unit as my July Oath and painted the same way, with an exception for the DETEKTUV'S JURNAL. I didn't want to try anything too complicated, or do something that would require extensive repainting of last month's models, so I tried to create a verdigris effect on their brass sections with layers of dark green->green-> green+blue washes on the appropriate metal bits.

Hello!:

Side View:

Rear View:

Banner:

For next month, I can either work on some GW Fantasy Beastmen I bought to represent lesser demons years ago but never got around to, or finish a handful of my plague marines, but I haven't decided yet.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 28, 2013

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

3 Cryx Bonejacks, 1 Slayer Helljack, and 1 Deneghra

Bonejacks

Slayer Helljack

Deneghra

Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast

10 Tactical Marines

Sergeant Dantalion alongside the heavier firepower

Librarian Ipos

Crashed Thunderhawk terrain

For some inane reason I have Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast in my original Oath post but didn't bother to list her as to what models I was painting. I'm hoping that isn't going to be a problem.

And now the Strike a Pose bonus:

Sergeant Dantalion's 4th Company squad arrived at the crash site before dawn. The billowing smoke choked the sky, blocking out the waning rays lighting the up the broken, rotting landscape of Solaris IV. A cursed world, once a mining operation for the ever-valuable adamantine, but now was wasting away from the repeated incursions of Nurgle. His pustule-covered servants had laid waste to the local PDF and were running wild, infusing the local landscape with disease, making even the simple grass a deadly encounter. The Angels of Absolution were the only ones within close proximity, and sprung into action.

The 6th Company Thunderhawk Gunship had promised reinforcements to the beleagured troops fighting to clear the corpse-jungle five clicks south when it was shot out of the sky. Giant, bulbous flies had swarmed from the steaming jungle, latching on to the outer surface of the hull before exploding into burning acid, burning through the hull in seconds and causing a catastrophic engine failure. By the time Dantalion and his crew arrived, there was little left to salvage; most of the crew were dead, yet few of their fellow marines were left as casualties. Deep grooves in the dirt told that a Rhino APC had been here, and not too long off.

Librarian Ipos--dark, brooding Ipos, whose fiery temper was kept in check only by the cranial implants of his psychic hood--ran a hand over the acid-splotched hull. The faint glow of an exposed engine panel drew the attention of Brother Leraje, and upon further inspection found that the plasma coil had been removed. Something was off here. A faint psychic trail lingered; this, coupled with the missing coil and marines, gave the marines a new purpose. Perhaps there would be time to save their brothers, before whatever evil these Nurglites planned bloomed to fruition.

- - -

Well, I had fun this month! The Librarian especially was a joy to paint--even the banner wasn't too obnoxious, in the end. I'm a bit unhappy with the gunship terrain pieces though; for some reason it came out really washed-out, more than I intended, but I think that's just from the water I used when I 'salted' it.

Bonuses for this month: Detectuv's Jurnal (Weathering) and Strike a Pose.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Those Angels look flippin marvellous.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Jurnal and Strike a Pose
28mm Zombiesmith and Spartan miniatures

Jurnal
rusty tankette and smokey barrel

Strike a Pose!
Rytt had just about enough of this war. Good thing he was only 2 days from the end of his tour, all he had to do is get through the next 48 hours and go back home to his kit an kin. The moth-wing wine would be much the sweeter from his own porch, instead of hold up with 9 other Quar in their trench bunker.
Of course that is when the orders came in, one more recon mission, there is always one more mission it seems these days. This time his luck had run out, just like his fuel. But the war was over for him now, by the time he got back to the trenches he would be a free Quar, or a dead one. Packing up his last termite hardtac and his trusty Doru SMG he started the treck back to camp. And was that thunder he heard on the horizon....

And my Quar tank driver for when it get all blown up.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 28, 2013

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
It's going to be a challenge to say the least to get my oath finished,

Finished my yellows on the tank just need to mask it off and do some blue details and detail and base the dire avengers.

The orc and goblin are pretty much done just need based.

Deadline is midnight on the 31st?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

gilljoy posted:

Deadline is midnight on the 31st?

12 midnight on the 31st, GMT, so that's midnight in western Europe, 1 AM UK and various times across the US and Australia. See the OP for the actual times.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Oath Complete!

The weathering is all the blue mushroom stains on their faces, hands, knees, and feet.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
e: scratch that, I'm tired and I'm dumb when I'm tired. Already have your info, Under 15! you're at the top of my PM list :P

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 28, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

Asphyxious posted:

I've said it before but god drat I love your stuff.

Thank you kindly!

Man, I forgot about how inspiring the end-of-the-month-posting-frenzy can be. I want to know how folks do what they do.

Slimnoid - I saw your post about weathering powders over on the 40k thread. Are you using Secret Weapon, or another brand?

Mr. Booger - How'd you do your rust?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Winners of the Springer-Pinsel brushes (I know one of you haven't received your brushes yet), I've been asked by the very nice Springer-Pinsel lady if you guys are enjoying your brushes?

Also, I've been asked for direct feedback: "Do you have any idea if we should create other brushes for your special
and typical painting?" So please post here and let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

krushgroove posted:

Winners of the Springer-Pinsel brushes (I know one of you haven't received your brushes yet), I've been asked by the very nice Springer-Pinsel lady if you guys are enjoying your brushes?

Also, I've been asked for direct feedback: "Do you have any idea if we should create other brushes for your special
and typical painting?" So please post here and let me know!

I'll admit I haven't broken them out yet. It's hard to move beyond a brush you've been painting with for half a decade while it's still working.

I'll break them out tonight and let you know.

Edit: Hey Mr Booger, as long as you're answering questions, tell us about those trees you've got there.

• Locked thread