Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

david could be a race car driver if he wanted to

He is. He drives the alien creator car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

uploading david into a tesla and it drives around spewing proto-facehuggers out of the trunk

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

“Tesla embarrassed again after Cybertruck facehugger birthing scandal; Musk says fix will roll out within the next year.”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Would you take a third Prometheus film if David's bits are all obviously filmed by Michael Fassbender using a reverse dashcam while he's racing?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

and only then!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Locke remake but it's Holloway talking to David the entire time (get Tom Hardy or keep Logan Marshall-Green, works either way)

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
The Plains, but instead of a daily carpool with two Australian lawyers it's two Michael Fassbender androids long haul space trucking

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the way

https://x.com/filmupdates/status/1802663932055720268?s=46

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Lol perfect.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Actually cool. Gives the potential to do something similar to the chest burst in Alien

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Some of y'all are misreading David's characterization if you think he's insane or miserable or broken in some way. He's amoral and dangerous certainly, at least from the human perspective. But he takes great satisfaction from his existence and it's opportunities for exploring and experimenting and is generally having a fun time. He loves life!

He never suffers a psychotic break like Ash, and it's hard to imagine anything causing one in him. He doesn't seem to be burdened by any sort of expectations; his reaction to meeting his pathetic techbro father and getting his own head torn off is the same: wry bemusement.

The only time we see David lose his cool is when Oram wastes one of his creations. The only mistake he makes is mixing up Byron and Shelley, incredibly minor and understandable considering the close association of those poets.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i dunno if anyone's arguing that he's tortured or miserable, but agreed.

all through Prometheus and Covenant he is really having the most fun out of everyone, and why not! he met his creators and their creators and realises "oh hell yeah anyone can do this bullshit"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

david was pretty miserable in prometheus because all anyone does is remind him he's a machine and tell him he has no soul when weyland is killed he's finally free to do what he wants which is make aliens

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blood Boils posted:

The only time we see David lose his cool is when Oram wastes one of his creations. The only mistake he makes is mixing up Byron and Shelley, incredibly minor and understandable considering the close association of those poets.

That mistake is a little more important than you realize

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

david was pretty miserable in prometheus because all anyone does is remind him he's a machine and tell him he has no soul when weyland is killed he's finally free to do what he wants which is make aliens

he just totally hates humans. he's quite happy dream-butlering and watching movies on his own, but gets annoyed when Charlize and Ghost Dad ruin christmas. perks up again when they find the decapitated engineer, gleefully poisons Holloway the same night, doesn't even really seem to mind just being a head.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rucking Fotten is selling some rad Aliens/Alien 3 shirts today through Sunday, if anyone is interested.

https://ruckingfotten.com

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this brand besides being a fan. It's pre-sale, so you gotta wait awhile before stuff gets shipped, but I think it's worth it

XIII fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 22, 2024

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The xenomorph is David's portrait of us. He made it out of us and about us. It's simultaneously what we loathe and fear and, to him, the logical endpoint of all our activity.

Xenomrph posted:

But is it as important as you realize? David could mix up Byron and Shelley, which Walter was incapable of doing. Does this mean that David's cognition is impaired... or does it mean that David's unlocked the ability to make creative cross-connections that Walter is as yet incapable of?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ferrinus posted:

The xenomorph is David's portrait of us. He made it out of us and about us. It's simultaneously what we loathe and fear and, to him, the logical endpoint of all our activity.

That's a cool thought.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

What makes you think David was miserable? We don't really see him express anything close to that imo. He's certainly lonely, but seems to take comfort from Lawrence of Arabia's example. I don't think he wants to be human or believes in souls to begin with, so why would any of that bother him? Recall how he responds to Weyland or Holloway's neuroses and goals - his expression is subtle but reads to me more like amusement or disdain.

David is smart enough to find freedom even under the thumb of his masters. I don't think he seeks Weyland's death so much as knows it's inevitable and is all too happy to help him reach it.

Xenomrph posted:

How so? It's significant to Walter, but why would David care if his siblings and makers think he needs the latest updates? He's pretty arrogant, and has good reason to be - the two stories we have with him he's leagues ahead of everyone else.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blood Boils posted:

How so? It's significant to Walter, but why would David care if his siblings and makers think he needs the latest updates? He's pretty arrogant, and has good reason to be - the two stories we have with him he's leagues ahead of everyone else.

Why would the filmmakers, when making a potentially contentious decision of “who/what made Aliens?”, deliberately have the apparent creator of his very most favorite thing in the universe (the Alien) goof up attributing the correct creator of his very most favorite quote of all time?

Like, that wasn’t an accidental choice to have him do that. On a surface level it demonstrates that David is fallible, but on a deeper level it demonstrates that maybe David isn’t so good at attributing creators (potentially himself included). It’s not him lying or being deceitful, these are things he genuinely believes. He’s just wrong, independent of his opinions or motivations.

Not to mention, in a hypothetical future David story, having David come to the realization that he is not the original creator of the Alien would play into his downfall as a gothic horror villain. A macro scale collapse of his belief system, just as he experienced on a micro scale when he misattributed the Ozymandias quote. As Walter says in the scene, “when one note is off, it eventually destroys the whole symphony.”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love how stoked David was to poison Holloway.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

Not to mention, in a hypothetical future David story, having David come to the realization that he is not the original creator of the Alien would play into his downfall as a gothic horror villain. A macro scale collapse of his belief system, just as he experienced on a micro scale when he misattributed the Ozymandias quote. As Walter says in the scene, “when one note is off, it eventually destroys the whole symphony.”

It's kinda weird because David was in the ampule room in Prometheus where there was a large alien mural on the wall but I guess having his head ripped off turned out to be more than a mild inconvenience.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SUNKOS posted:

It's kinda weird because David was in the ampule room in Prometheus where there was a large alien mural on the wall but I guess having his head ripped off turned out to be more than a mild inconvenience.

david is kind of stupid

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Why would the filmmakers, when making a potentially contentious decision of “who/what made Aliens?”, deliberately have the apparent creator of his very most favorite thing in the universe (the Alien) goof up attributing the correct creator of his very most favorite quote of all time?

Like, that wasn’t an accidental choice to have him do that. On a surface level it demonstrates that David is fallible, but on a deeper level it demonstrates that maybe David isn’t so good at attributing creators (potentially himself included). It’s not him lying or being deceitful, these are things he genuinely believes. He’s just wrong, independent of his opinions or motivations.

The difference is that Byron and Shelly represent different philosophical viewpoints (on, specifically, the Prometheus myth. Both wrote highly political poems about the Prometheus character).

The ‘mistake’ is that David is reading the Ozymandias poem through the lens of Byron - like, incorporating it into Byron’s oeuvre. The short version is that, where Shelley was more of a photo-New-Age hippie type, Byron was more politically radical. So, as we see rather clearly in the film, David’s goal is to cause the mighty to despair by destroying their achievements. David’s work is the destruction itself (followed by his own kind of quasi-fascist utopia - a society of xenomorphs implicitly led by him).

The point is not that Byron is a creator, David is a creator, and therefore this is a secret clue about the lore & AVP is still canon. That’s dumb. David in the movie doesn’t seem to care at all whether he’s the credited author of the alien; that’s a fixation of nerds in the fandom.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

David is great because he's such a perfect representation of the person who thinks they're so above the common rabble due to their superior intelligence and ideology. In almost every way he has all the traits of humanity he hates, but because he so sincerely believes he's special and different and is the smartest boy in the room he becomes blind to how absolutely normal and flawed he is. He so desperately wants to be a god, a creator, that he's willing to delude himself into thinking he created the aliens. Like a weird kid who hates all his peers and runs off into the woods to find a caterpillar and later believes he invented butterflies, proof of his superiority and brilliance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Double feature where you watch Alien Covenant up until Walter “corrects” David about Byron/Shelley, pause the movie, watch all of Ken Russell’s Gothic, then finish Alien Covenant.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Double feature where you watch Alien Covenant up until Walter “corrects” David about Byron/Shelley, pause the movie, watch all of Ken Russell’s Gothic, then finish Alien Covenant.

I’ve never heard of Gothic, what is it?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ruddiger posted:

*David on flute, Walter on vocals*

🎶 With a taste of your lips, I'm on a ride
You're gothic, I'm slippin' under 🎶

Baronjutter posted:

David is great because he's such a perfect representation of the person who thinks they're so above the common rabble due to their superior intelligence and ideology. In almost every way he has all the traits of humanity he hates, but because he so sincerely believes he's special and different and is the smartest boy in the room he becomes blind to how absolutely normal and flawed he is. He so desperately wants to be a god, a creator, that he's willing to delude himself into thinking he created the aliens. Like a weird kid who hates all his peers and runs off into the woods to find a caterpillar and later believes he invented butterflies, proof of his superiority and brilliance.

That’s not in the film.

The David character (at the time of Covenant) is a fashy sex creep, so you don’t need to invent reasons for him to be bad.

Also, what is this imagined phenomena of children running away from home and thinking they invented bugs? That’s not a thing that happens. David didn’t invent bugs; he bred a new type of bug via some kind of genetic engineering. This is shown onscreen, with the thing popping out of Oram. David objectively created that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Technically Oram created that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

*David on flute, Walter on vocals*

🎶 With a taste of your lips, I'm on a ride
You're gothic, I'm slippin' under 🎶

That’s not in the film.

The David character (at the time of Covenant) is a fashy sex creep, so you don’t need to invent reasons for him to be bad.

Also, what is this imagined phenomena of children running away from home and thinking they invented bugs? That’s not a thing that happens. David didn’t invent bugs; he bred a new type of bug via some kind of genetic engineering. This is shown onscreen, with the thing popping out of Oram. David objectively created that.

Did he? Or we're just seeing the natural morphic lifecycle of an totally unknown lifeform adapt to new conditions? For all we know he "created" his version of an alien the same way someone who's never encountered a caterpillar might think that feeding it and giving it a place to make a cocoon has objectively created a new lifeform. We just don't know enough about the black goo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yes.

Baronjutter posted:

Or we're just seeing the natural morphic lifecycle of an totally unknown lifeform adapt to new conditions?

No.

We’re shown, in the film, what some “natural” xenomorphs look like. They’re all white and blobby. In Prometheus, another is blue and has a severe overbite.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Xenomrph posted:

There's two problems here. First, you're projecting your own concerns about copyright and franchise control onto a movie that isn't concerned with it. Who "really" created the xenomorph just isn't part of the movie's plot or narrative stakes because there's no "the" xenomorph in the first place, just a mutagen of unknown provenance that tends to affect humans in random but broadly similar ways. David hosed around with it and got a particular result that he liked, and there's no original or ideal or goal to compare it to any more than the post I'm writing now is but a doomed and hubristic attempt to create a true post that will only be written in the future and form the center of the entire Ferrinus's Posts cinematic universe.

Second, Byron and Shelley are, like, basically comparable and similarly if not equally important literary figures, each of whom legitimately did create important, popular, and original works (though as SMG points out, those works didn't just materialize out of thin air but were based on various pre-existing inspirations of their own). If the Byron/Shelley mixup is meant to tell us about David's suitability to claim genuine author's credit, then the implication is that, well, maybe he's misremembering and didn't create the xenomorph... but some other guy did. Maybe it was Jim from Weyland-Yutani, or Eddie the Engineer, or whomever, but even if it wasn't our David it was a David and you're still back in the bind of the alien's true creator being some loving guy.

It'd be different if, instead of two different writers, Covenant made reference to some pre-modern god-king who claimed that the sun only rose and the rain only fell at his decree. Obviously, there, we have a finite and short-sighted narcissist putting forward an inflated and inevitably-punctured notion of his own cosmic importance. But that's not what we got.

I'm gonna incorporate someone else's post here to expand on this further, because I think it's ultimately true that David both did and did not create the xenomorph, so to speak:

SUNKOS posted:

The mural depicted an eyeless, humanoid figure... just like we've repeatedly seen arise from basically random and uncontrolled combinations of the "black goo" mutagen/catalyst/whatever it is with living people. We got the "deacon" at the end of Prometheus, and the "neomorphs" in the middle of Covenant because that's just the sort of thing you get when you rapidly decompose and recombine human biomatter in the way the catalyst does. Maybe it's transforming us in accordance with its own telos and maybe it's just uncovering and realizing ours (I favor the latter explanation), but either way these gross, slithery birth demons are just a natural result of weighing down the gas pedal of our reproduction and evolution with that particular brick.

Consider these several artworks:

Some of these obviously took less time to create than others. Some of them are the collective efforts of several people while others are created by a single artist (in fact, all of them are collective efforts, because Escher had to get his pencils and paper from somewhere, but I'll leave this aside for now). The first piece might have been made completely accidentally, though the photograph taken of it was not.

Now, did any of these artists create human hands? No, that was already around. Neither did they invent snow or gypsum or graphite. They just did different stuff with the materials at hand, producing distinctly different results. It's not even the case that some of those results are more "natural" or "artificial" or whatever than the others, since those are largely ideological distinctions. But we can definitely say that Escher's Drawing Hands is the product of a distinctly different technical process than the Cueva de los Manos, and that he is its genuine creator, and that reproductions or references to it, which are themselves necessarily going to be a little bit or even very different depending on whether it's being copied or riffed on or parodied, are in some part traceable back to him.

The monster that specifically appears in Alien and its sequels is like Escher's piece, here; the distinct artistic product of one weirdo who, of course, did not invent palms and fingers and pencil and paper from whole cloth, but did do something cool and interesting enough with them that it has gone on to be remembered and reproduced by others.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 25, 2024

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ferrinus posted:

The mural depicted an eyeless, humanoid figure... just like we've repeatedly seen arise from basically random and uncontrolled combinations of the "black goo" mutagen/catalyst/whatever it is with living people. We got the "deacon" at the end of Prometheus, and the "neomorphs" in the middle of Covenant because that's just the sort of thing you get when you rapidly decompose and recombine human biomatter in the way the catalyst does.

Combinations of the black goo with living people also:

-Rapidly broke down the Engineer in the intro of Prometheus at a cellular level until dead.
-Seemed to do the same to Holloway except at a slower pace with the added twist of eyeball worms.
-Turned maggots into hammerpedes.
-Turned Fifield into a super zombie.
-Created the trilobite inside Shaw.

It really just does whatever the plot needs it to. In Covenant for example the black goo becomes a sentient flying swarm that uh, burns people sort-of? At the same time it also flies into someone's ear and makes an albino backburster. The black goo is like Gonzo, it's a whatever. SMG could use that stuff for an enema and nobody here could predict what would happen.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Combinations of the black goo with living people also:

-Rapidly broke down the Engineer in the intro of Prometheus at a cellular level until dead.
-Seemed to do the same to Holloway except at a slower pace with the added twist of eyeball worms.
-Turned maggots into hammerpedes.
-Turned Fifield into a super zombie.
-Created the trilobite inside Shaw.

It really just does whatever the plot needs it to. In Covenant for example the black goo becomes a sentient flying swarm that uh, burns people sort-of? At the same time it also flies into someone's ear and makes an albino backburster. The black goo is like Gonzo, it's a whatever. SMG could use that stuff for an enema and nobody here could predict what would happen.

No, it's more consistent than what you're depicting. The main thing it does is break things down - that's what we see in Prometheus's own intro animation. Then the bits it breaks down recombine randomly. So Holloway was on the path to total disintegration but in the course of doing that he inseminated Shaw with that octopus monster, had little worms spawning in his eyes, etc. The Covenant flashback is also a great demonstration of this because we can see most of the monk-engineers just breaking down but a few of the monk-engineers breaking down at the same time as monstrous limbs start ripping out of the sides of their bodies. Then the fungal spore pod -> infectious mist -> backburster progression we see in Covenant is the long-term result of David's bombing, so presumably most of the monks just kind of dissolved into goo but some of that goo was able to find another form which could go down to dissolve and recombine more humans or humanlike creatures in the future, etc.

So the goo is kind of groping blindly (!) towards something violent and penetrative and reproductive. It tends to get there in random and roundabout ways. Using the power of charcoal sketching and medieval alchemy, David was able to carve out and stabilize one such pathway, but it's not the only one that has existed or could exist, and even that pathway can't stop the spawn of the catalyst from changing a little bit more from generation to generation.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I love the goo......

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
As we see with the Engineer head (and, likely, the plants in Covenant), the goo also remains inert until it encounters something animal. I believe the products of goo exposure are based on the subject’s psychology.

SUNKOS posted:

The black goo does not affect machines.

I am an advanced chatbot, designed to write truthfully and accurately. I do not actually exist.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I am a goo man

Who has read a bunch of Aliens books lately, the Titan ones, and I like them. They're not high art or anything, not going to be shifting any paradigms in storytelling, but I'm enjoying them.

The Steve/SD Perry novels were fuckin dogwater, though, Jesus gently caress

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Leave posted:

I am a goo man

Who has read a bunch of Aliens books lately, the Titan ones, and I like them. They're not high art or anything, not going to be shifting any paradigms in storytelling, but I'm enjoying them.

The Steve/SD Perry novels were fuckin dogwater, though, Jesus gently caress

I’ve been gradually making my way through the recent Bishop novel, which aside from some odd continuity gaffes, ain’t bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I love the goo......

Alien Covenant (2017, d. Scott)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHncoxvxRO8