Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Ringer still negotiating their union contract:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Ringer still negotiating their union contract:

I have not listened because just learning of the existence of a podcast where Bill Simmons and Ryen Russillo discuss police brutality caused me to yelp in horror but apparently there's a point where Ryen goes out of his way to praise Bill for his diverse hiring practices lol

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 2, 2020

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Still waiting on the Police Brutality Exit Survey.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

I have not listened because just learning of the existence of a podcast where Bill Simmons and Ryne Russillo discuss police brutality caused me to yelp in horror but apparently there's a point where Ryne goes out of his way to praise Bill for his diverse hiring practices lol
Bill literally opens the podcast with how sad he is because...

...of the 100,000 dead of COVID and no end in sight?
...of the on-camera murder of yet another black man with zero consequences for the murderers?
...of the firestorm of protest and stark revelation that cops are brutal violent animals?

Nope! He's sad because some of his favorite little stores on Melrose Ave got trashed, and it's breaking his heart. Not the racism, not the massive loss of life, it's the property damage that has Bill feeling down.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/thebiglead/status/1267558423639490560?s=20

Trying to think of the funniest places that could hire him and I think it's 1) Deadspin and 2) Barstool

Edit: Although I guess The Ringer needs some diversity hires…

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hmmm who could I talk about this watershed moment in the history of race relations in the United States with? One of my minority employees? Close personal friend and Pulitzer prize winner Wesley Morris? Nah, get me HGH Dave Portnoy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

Hmmm who could I talk about this watershed moment in the history of race relations in the United States with? One of my minority employees? Close personal friend and Pulitzer prize winner Wesley Morris? Nah, get me HGH Dave Portnoy
Russillo, I am sure you will be shocked to learn, actually broke out the #notallwhitepeople argument in his part of the segment.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/thebiglead/status/1267558423639490560?s=20

Trying to think of the funniest places that could hire him and I think it's 1) Deadspin and 2) Barstool

Edit: Although I guess The Ringer needs some diversity hires…

https://twitter.com/knicks_tape99/status/1267557225280819201

https://twitter.com/CantGuardMike24/status/1267569283867070465

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 1, 2020

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Sports status: Not stuck to

https://mobile.twitter.com/timmarchman/status/1267529913583763456

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe the current batch of writers aren’t such prima donnas though

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

General Dog posted:

Maybe the current batch of writers aren’t such prima donnas though

That’s for sure. Prima donnas are the most talented singers in an opera company.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Root just loving ripped apart new Deadspin for their lovely writing lmao

https://www.theroot.com/and-the-pulitzer-prize-for-caucasity-goes-to-1843835336

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao the article in question was written by Rob "Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother?" Parker.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Spencer Hall took a buyout.

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1267888292760031240?s=21

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BWV posted:

Still waiting on the Police Brutality Exit Survey.

"1. Which character of The Wire would you say you are?"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

8 Winners and Losers from the George Floyd Protests

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it's a sign of the preferences of a media company that they'd rather keep Ezra Klein and Matt Yglesias around than Spencer Hall.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

it's a sign of the preferences of a media company that they'd rather keep Ezra Klein and Matt Yglesias around than Spencer Hall.

Those guys own a stake

Edit: or maybe not, I'm probably wrong

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 2, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Spencer should do fine and is probably the absolute last person from the banner society crew you need to worry about finding a new gig but it's still insane that you could run a sports website, be lucky enough to have him on the payroll, and decide you don't really need him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kind of baffling if they try to keep Banner Society going without him. There’s really no equity built up in that shingle without him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've seen a few people posting about "the Vox buyout" but what is it? They just offering severence to people to cut payroll?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I've seen a few people posting about "the Vox buyout" but what is it? They just offering severence to people to cut payroll?

Pretty much, yeah

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Everyone who was furloughed a month or two ago was also offered a buyout up front. So they could wait it out until the end of the furlough period and see what happened, or they could take the buyout at any time.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Vox will be fiiiiine. They've got Gideon Smith-Smythe-Smithe and other various names from the Upper Class Twit of the Year sketch about to launch a brand new podcast that's a deep dive into how TECH has changed EVERYTHING

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Chad Ford has been back in media for like a month and just dropped the N word on his podcast. It was in the context of trying to talk about the horrible stuff black people have to hear so I guess his heart was in the right place but he did not even hesitate, it was jarring.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

MourningView posted:

Chad Ford has been back in media for like a month and dropped the N word on his podcast. It was in the context of trying to talk about the horrible stuff black people have to hear so I guess his heart was in the right place but he did not even hesitate, it was jarring.

it's ok once he knows the right thing he should have said he will just go back and edit that in

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Well let's see what neo-Deadspin is up to today

Tiger Woods Hates Being Black

quote:

The symbol above his words resembles three Ku Klux Klan hoods.

It’s a coincidence, but you can’t unsee it.

:yikes:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

General Dog posted:

Apparently not satisfied with being sued by one faded megastar, Deadspin going for the deuce

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

General Dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HLUZq2Hm4w

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It is so weird that they made the decree about no politics and everyone good left and then removed that decree. Just an incredible fuckup.

I haven't seen a Deadspin link on my Twitter feed or anywhere in months so I can't imagine the site is doing well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Niwrad posted:

It is so weird that they made the decree about no politics and everyone good left and then removed that decree. Just an incredible fuckup.

I haven't seen a Deadspin link on my Twitter feed or anywhere in months so I can't imagine the site is doing well.
I think someone a couple of weeks ago pointed out that their top articles are still ones from before everyone left. That and their site viewership is lower than when the site was not being updated

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Niwrad posted:

The myriad prices they do about race do all tie back to criticizing a certain player, team, or league, so they do still follow the stick to sports mandate by letter, if not in spirit.

Basically if you throw “man, it’s also really bullshit that Collin Kapernick still hasn’t been signed,” that serves as a fig leaf that separates your new Deadspin post from old Deadspin’s typical “Orange Man Bad” posts.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 5, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That the content restrictions are looser when they are trying to relaunch while there are essentially no live sports going on isn't that big of a surprise. If the old Deadspin crew had capitulated I'm sure they would have looser guidelines too. Deadspin needs some kind of content.

Besides, I don't think "Stories without Sports" was really the real issue. This whole thing started when the writers criticized the site and the audio ads. "Stick to Sports" was always a veneer, it was "Stick to the Guidelines We're Giving You".

Writers in sports are largely viewed as commodities that can be cheaply replaced. They shouldn't cost much, they should mostly do what you tell them. That's why popular, content driven sorts sites are more likely to collapse than stay going. Right now the deadspin people are probably told to write whatever they want to get SOMETHING right now. As sports start coming back and people start getting, frankly, fatigued and bored with social commentary they'll probably get pushed back into a sports box.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Feels like it's time to officially say RIP to Banner Society after one season.
https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1268911720464080902?s=20

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/benjstrauss/status/1268939718365937670

Well poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Feels like it's time to officially say RIP to Banner Society after one season.
https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1268911720464080902?s=20

Kirk is one of the most effortlessly funny people in all of media I hope someone scoops him up quickly and let's him do his thing.

Kirshner and Richard Johnson also just announced that they're done with Vox so yeah I would think Banner Society is probably dead. I would think Holly and Godfrey are probably gone whenever their contracts are up too, and maybe Nanni, though he's pretty high up in the company now

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This is probably something that gets brought up any time someone we like is let go, but you'd think Jason and Spencer would be a good fit within the Ringer/Spotify podcasting and blogging universe. I guess nobody like that is really feeling like spending new money right now though. But hell, it seems like they're a couple of guys who wouldn't seem like a weird fit but would also expose the site to some new demos.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 5, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I will be a little surprised if The Ringer doesn't scoop up Prada. They seem to have a thing for SBN NBA guys

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Yeah my sub is up next month and probably not gonna renew, great as The Athletic has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I assume the Athletic would bounce back when there, you know, sports again. I am more tempted now to give it another shot but I don't exactly want to sign up until stuff starts happening.