Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

kaworu posted:

Honestly, I'm not just happy I stuck with Sardine, I'm happy that Sardine is still tirelessly working to soften Jackie's bitter heart - and she just doesn't give up no matter how many times Jackie hisses or swats at her or chases her. It helps that Jackie poses no real threat whatsoever to Sardine, and that Sardine doesn't want to play with Jackie or annoy her, just be chill kitty-friends with her. If Sardine were trying too hard then Jackie would be really pissed and miserable.

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We adopted a second cat a few weeks ago. He seems to be settling in alright, with only a few spats every now and then between him and our other cat (a female). However, he doesn't seem to want to use the scratching post, instead opting to scratch at the carpet. We also got a scratching pad thing that hangs on the door that we never hung up, but he doesn't use that either. What other options might entice him to more appropriate behavior?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hooah posted:

We adopted a second cat a few weeks ago. He seems to be settling in alright, with only a few spats every now and then between him and our other cat (a female). However, he doesn't seem to want to use the scratching post, instead opting to scratch at the carpet. We also got a scratching pad thing that hangs on the door that we never hung up, but he doesn't use that either. What other options might entice him to more appropriate behavior?

Put the pad down on the carpet where he likes to scratch, then when he starts scratching it slowly start moving it somewhere more appropriate over the course of a few days.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011
My kitten got giardiasis last week. Somebody who treated it effectively and give me some advice?

Vet gave me Panacur for him and his mom. They are one the last of the first five days and show no side effects, luckily.
I'm changing the litter box (I put the other one away for now) every day and use boiling water to clean it. Covered the favourite spots of the cats with old towels, which get washed regularly, too. Anything else I can do? Can't use any disinfectant, because they all have chlorine in it and I'm allergic to it.

Here's the little guy who got a poopy butt last week.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

hooah posted:

Something we have had success with a couple times is to take the cat and just gently rub his forepaws on the scratching post. Seems to have helped a little to clue them in, but I think it's only worked on kittens. Also you can try dropping some loose catnip on the post or mat.

Tamarillo posted:

My bastard Decoy left a dead mouse reverently placed in his empty food bowl, with no sign of any external trauma except for the neatly removed heart, which he had left intact sitting on the mouse's chest.

It was a profound moment coming home to that.

Incredible :allears:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 31, 2016

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Minister of Chance posted:

My kitten got giardiasis last week. Somebody who treated it effectively and give me some advice?

Vet gave me Panacur for him and his mom. They are one the last of the first five days and show no side effects, luckily.
I'm changing the litter box (I put the other one away for now) every day and use boiling water to clean it. Covered the favourite spots of the cats with old towels, which get washed regularly, too. Anything else I can do? Can't use any disinfectant, because they all have chlorine in it and I'm allergic to it.

Here's the little guy who got a poopy butt last week.

Used to work as a vet tech, this was something we saw every week at minimum: I hate to say it, but poopy butt needs a bath. You want to make sure there's nothing in the fur so they groom and get reinfected. Everything else you've done is perfect. The drugs will knock it out no problem, you just need to worry about preventing reinfection.

Also, how old is poopy butt? Reminds me so much of mine....

If he's still a baby, I'll be curious to see how much darker he gets.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Used to work as a vet tech, this was something we saw every week at minimum: I hate to say it, but poopy butt needs a bath. You want to make sure there's nothing in the fur so they groom and get reinfected. Everything else you've done is perfect. The drugs will knock it out no problem, you just need to worry about preventing reinfection.

Also, how old is poopy butt? Reminds me so much of mine....

If he's still a baby, I'll be curious to see how much darker he gets.

He's 3 1/2 months old. His mom is a lilac-point, so she's lighter and he's a chocolate. I'm curious what his final colour distribution will be. Hope he will be as beautiful as your cat.

Will it be enough to wash his butt, or do I need to give him full baths? I cleaned his butt with a damp cloth and then with a soft dry one, every time I caught him after doing his business for now. At least he has no diarrhea since getting the medicine.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Minister of Chance posted:

He's 3 1/2 months old. His mom is a lilac-point, so she's lighter and he's a chocolate. I'm curious what his final colour distribution will be. Hope he will be as beautiful as your cat.

Will it be enough to wash his butt, or do I need to give him full baths? I cleaned his butt with a damp cloth and then with a soft dry one, every time I caught him after doing his business for now. At least he has no diarrhea since getting the medicine.

Butt is USUALLY sufficient, but we did always recommend a full bath to be safe.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone know if flea medicine and kidney stuff can interact badly? My cat's on oral Ipakitine (which has chitosan and calsium carbonate apparently) and we applied small cat Activyl (with indoxacarbs, it says) to his neck about 24 hours ago (correctly so he couldn't lick it). He's been licking himself like crazy for about an hour and half now and I'm worried they might somehow be mixing badly.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just wanted to post this link my dad shared with me...

http://www.theestablishment.co/2016/07/14/how-cats-can-improve-our-mental-health/

Thought it was actually very much on the money, and my cat Jackie certainly helped me significantly in this manner at a critical point in my life. As someone who is also a sexual abuse survivor with PTSD like the author of that article, it may be that I'm clouded by some sort of innate bias based on the things she is saying resonating with me, but it does seem like she gets a number of things very much correct. Worth reading I think, anyway.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 31, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Organza Quiz posted:

Put the pad down on the carpet where he likes to scratch, then when he starts scratching it slowly start moving it somewhere more appropriate over the course of a few days.

I'll try this when I see him do it next.

Mister Adequate posted:

Something we have had success with a couple times is to take the cat and just gently rub his forepaws on the scratching post. Seems to have helped a little to clue them in, but I think it's only worked on kittens. Also you can try dropping some loose catnip on the post or mat.

I tried taking his paws, but he didn't like it too much, and immediately left the room where the post is. He also doesn't seem to keen on catnip; when we got him, I bought a toy that came with some loose catnip you could put into the toy, and he just ...didn't care. I mean, I get that it's the cheap-o crap from the pet store, but it should still do something, right? Unless it just doesn't affect some cats.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

kaworu posted:

I just wanted to post this link my dad shared with me...

http://www.theestablishment.co/2016/07/14/how-cats-can-improve-our-mental-health/

Thought it was actually very much on the money, and my cat Jackie certainly helped me significantly in this manner at a critical point in my life. As someone who is also a sexual abuse survivor with PTSD like the author of that article, it may be that I'm clouded by some sort of innate bias based on the things she is saying resonating with me, but it does seem like she gets a number of things very much correct. Worth reading I think, anyway.

This is part of why I like so much hearing about Jackie. I had a cat that helped a lot for many years. (Now I have a couple of cats who split up his duties, more or less.) Anyway, good article.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Tamarillo posted:

My bastard Decoy left a dead mouse reverently placed in his empty food bowl, with no sign of any external trauma except for the neatly removed heart, which he had left intact sitting on the mouse's chest.

It was a profound moment coming home to that.

Was the heart still beating? I imagined it with the heart still beating, like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

hooah posted:

He also doesn't seem to keen on catnip; when we got him, I bought a toy that came with some loose catnip you could put into the toy, and he just ...didn't care. I mean, I get that it's the cheap-o crap from the pet store, but it should still do something, right? Unless it just doesn't affect some cats.

No, some cats don't react to it. Mine seems immune to every cat stimulant I've tried-- catnip, silvervine, valerian root. Nothing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

hooah posted:

I'll try this when I see him do it next.

I tried taking his paws, but he didn't like it too much, and immediately left the room where the post is. He also doesn't seem to keen on catnip; when we got him, I bought a toy that came with some loose catnip you could put into the toy, and he just ...didn't care. I mean, I get that it's the cheap-o crap from the pet store, but it should still do something, right? Unless it just doesn't affect some cats.

There's a percentage of cats who are pretty much immune to the nip, sadly, though I have seen wildly conflicting numbers, from about 5% to 40%.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Gorgar posted:

This is part of why I like so much hearing about Jackie. I had a cat that helped a lot for many years. (Now I have a couple of cats who split up his duties, more or less.) Anyway, good article.

Aw, it's nice you had a helpful Therapy Cat too... That's how I referred to Jackie after I first got her and realized how helpful cats are to ones mental health/sanity, at least for me..

Maybe it's because I'm generally single, but before I got Jackie I got very used to... Always sleeping alone. I was not quite a social butterfly and it took me a while to sort myself out, both in terms of figuring out what I wanted in a relationship (still not quite sure!) and just sorting out of my own issues, and not feeling like I *could* have relationships with other people.

And again, this is where I think a cat is really helpful, because through this misery I was now actually developing a relationship with this cat - I care for her, I feed her, I play with her, I cuddle with her, and she slept just nearby at first. But what it really did was give me the confidence that I was actually capable of taking care of this living creature, and capable of actually improving her quality of life significantly from where she had been living before. It made me take cleaning in general a great deal more seriously, and made me a more neat, clean and organized person, whereas before I had some bad slob traits. My cat just significantly improved my quality of life in so many ways, as a person with a disorganized life, no confidence or self-esteem and several diagnosed anxiety disorders in addition to PTSD... Well, yeah.

She's a constant reminder that at the very least there will *always* be someone who loves me unconditionally and will forgive me for anything, and that's pretty important reassurance, even if it does come from my a cat. She sleeps with me every single night, no matter who else might be in my bed, and she has for 6+ years now.. Which honestly is such an insanely important comfort to me that... I can't even say. I've always had... Extremely bad nightmares. When I was a kid, we would call them "Night Terrors," and I'd always be having really, really bad dreams to the extent that I'd even sleepwalk or do very strange things - one night my dad found me just standing in the kitchen speaking gibberish apparently - I vaguely remember but didn't wake up till later. This stopped but I'd still get VERY bad dreams on occasion that'd have similar effects.

And you know what I'm going to say... Getting a cat made me a MUCH better sleeper. Just the comfort/warmth of another living creature nearby is... beyond huge. I seriously cannot get to sleep without Jackie on the bed. I mean I can when I'm elsewhere, but at home it'd feel too weird. I even stopped having dreams that were so bad I'd sleepwalk or get sleep paralysis all the time, because Jackie will basically wake me up for acting weird or tossing and turning in bed and stop the problem before it gets bad. It's amazing.

On top of all these HUGE mental health benefits, she's also soft, cuddly, pretty, non-violent, and I can stick my face in her soft belly-fur and nuzzle it and she won't even run away or anything,

Here's a picture of The Queen herself, looking resplendent and gorgeous:

Out of curiosity, is Jackie a short-hair or a medium-hair? Always kinda worried about that. And sorry about the :words: - can't help it!

edit: Another example, I was having an awful day today, and I came home, and Jackie had been acting rambunctious and went in and out three times before I put a stop to it. I go upstairs to my room and I'm sitting in bed trying to get work done on the computer and Jackie is trying to get in the way and I just feel lovely... I take Jackie aside and *plead* with her: "Jackie, PLEASE, just calm down, sit down, chill out, stop the craziness!" Because while that might be normal cat behavior for most cats, it isn't for Jackie.

And I just kept her eye contact for a while, and she walked in a circle and plopped down on the bed, where she has stayed for the last half an hour. Sure, she's been a bit fidgety and has been grooming herself and moving around a tiny bit (in order to reach her back or her rear end in a top hat with her tongue, you know) sforthe last 10 minutes, but she has stayed there, just like I asked. And she probably won't get up and leave until I do, unless I plan on not moving from this spot for hours.

But this is also what makes her a great companion/therapy cat. She actually somehow gets it (consistently!) when you honestly ask her to do something like this using a certain tone of voice.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 2, 2016

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When we first got our kitten the litter box we got had a spinny door on the front that she could push through to get in and have her enclosed area to go, and she was just fine with it. For some reason after a day away for surgery it's like she forgot how to use the door to the litter box and will just sit there meowing until we open the door for her to go in. I've tried closing the door as she goes in so she can feel the door and do her business with the door closed, and she can even find her way out okay with it closed but just won't go in on her own.

It's been anout a month since, we just took the door off the box so she can walk in and out as she pleases but it would be nice to have it back on eventually. Every now and then I try putting her in there paws first to let her in then give her some treats when she comes out but she still won't go with the door on. Is there a reason for this or is this just a case of "lolcats"?

Picture of the assailant

explosivo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 2, 2016

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Things my cats have done the last few days:

-I went to sit on a chair that was one's current daytime nap chair, so he jumped on my lap and started playfully (though obviously irritated even though he wasn't there beforehand) biting me and my phone. Then when I got up he didn't want to nap there (prob because it smelled like me).
E: just noticed he's napping there now. It's nighttime. What a cat :catstare:

-I got flowers and they ate some of them, and broke in half some others :( .

-Was ok with me brushing his teeth :confused:

-I put a pillow over my head while sleeping and one got on top of said pillow and fell asleep.

-opened/typed/did mysterious things while laying on my computer. How the hell did he open iTunes, it's not in my dock?? He must know some secret iTunes-opening-combo.

:catstare:

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Things my cat has done in the last few days:

-Slept
-Ate
-Peed and pooped

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Things my cat has done in the past few days:

Meowed at the wall
Meowed at a different part of the wall
Meowed at the top of the fridge
Eaten part of a cardboard box
Eaten some tape from same box
Walked between me and my fiancée about six times, giving head bumps, rubs, nose touches, and licks. :kimchi:
Fallen sideways off a footrest in her sleep, landing on her side, and staying there for like 15 minutes in an effort to convince us it was deliberate.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
My cat started sneezing the past couple days. He was really tired on Tuesday but his energy levels are back to normal except sneezing a couple times an hour.

I just took him to the vet last week where I paid $400 for shots and blood work and I hope I don't have to take him back for this. Would the vet ever just give me some antibiotics without me having to take my cat to the vet?

ughhhhhhh

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Crossposted from helldump your pets:

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 4, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Geno posted:

My cat started sneezing the past couple days. He was really tired on Tuesday but his energy levels are back to normal except sneezing a couple times an hour.

I just took him to the vet last week where I paid $400 for shots and blood work and I hope I don't have to take him back for this. Would the vet ever just give me some antibiotics without me having to take my cat to the vet?

ughhhhhhh

Honestly if his energy is back up, he's probably already well on the way to recovery. Keep an eye on him before you get too stressed, if he keeps improving he'll probably not need anything. but no, no responsible vet will do that, for numerous reasons (chief among them that it could be a lot of other things that antibiotics wouldn't help.) Could even be from the shots.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What shots? Vaccines?

One of my cats got a bit sniffly after his vaccines and another got horrendous nausea for 24 hours.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

My 11 month old cat has started being a jerk this last week and started splashing water out of her water fountain almost daily. I've tried googling but the only things coming up are "oh cats like moving water maybe you should try a water fountain to stop them splashing".

It's got a filter and I change the water pretty frequently, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the water. I don't think she's bored either.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this from happening or why it is happening, it's pretty annoying.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Your cat loves water. Maybe give it a whole tub to play with? :v:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Otherwise, maybe find a big mat you can put the water dish on, something with a lip around the edge so the water stays more or less contained? Your cat is enjoying this on some level, so can you find a way to make it not annoying for you?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Holy poo poo, you have a kitten who made it to 11 months before starting to be a jerk?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AbortRetryFail posted:

My 11 month old cat has started being a jerk this last week and started splashing water out of her water fountain almost daily. I've tried googling but the only things coming up are "oh cats like moving water maybe you should try a water fountain to stop them splashing".

It's got a filter and I change the water pretty frequently, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the water. I don't think she's bored either.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this from happening or why it is happening, it's pretty annoying.

It's probably attacking a reflection, thinking it's a bug or something.

Is a cat, can't fix. :shrug:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Something like a boot mat would be perfect, they have a lip and are almost indestructible.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

One of the amusing thing Jackie does while grooming is itch at at her chin in a very demonstrative fashion - she doesn't have fleas, she just likes to itch her chin with her back paw, I think it's a cleaning thing as I said, she does it after licking through and cleaning her back feet usually and it's done in the process of grooming, so yeah.

Anyway, here is Jackie mid-epicscratch:

When moving, this is mesmerizing and very cute. The white chin and black hums is just adorable to me for some reason.

Oh, the other funny thing she does while grooming is making farting sounds with her mouth while licking/sucking/chewing on her fur. It's pretty absurd.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

^My dudes Hobbes and Bones do the fart-sounds too. And Bones scratches his chin like that but he does it so hard it makes his jowls flap a little. It's unbelievably adorable.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sugi also does the fart sounds!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

A whole bunch of fridge magnets had been either knocked to the floor or knocked askew. Scout, at some point, tried and failed to jump to the top of the fridge, apparently sliding down the front of it and causing much chaos on the way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm gonna be away during the Christmas holidays, and I need to find a place that will board my cat from the 22nd to the 2nd. What kind of places should I be looking at? I'm hoping it's not too short notice to start looking for a place. :ohdear: Should I be looking at kennels, hotels? Temporary foster homes willing to take another cat for a week and a half, maybe?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

id recommend looking into pet sitting services that'll just come by your house once or twice a day to take care of them, if that's something you're comfortable with. or get a friend/family to do it if you have any favors owed you can cash in.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah, if that's not an option, try calling local vets. Some of them may offer boarding services, or be aware of good ones nearby.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I tried booking cat boarding for xmas in july and most places were already full out :laffo:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

From the OSHA thread:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hyperlynx posted:

From the OSHA thread:

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Here's some grossness. Today Decoy was rolled on his back with his big fat gunt of a belly on display, and I was making fun of him for being so fat and distended that his weird cat nipples were on display. Then I was like hang on that weird cat nipple looks weirder than it should.

I totally did not know this was a thing but apparently it is. What I thought was a weird cat nipple? Was actually a big rear end motherfucker cat nipple cheese blackhead what the actual gently caress. Apparently, for cats that don't clean especially fastidiously, the grime can build up in their nipples, inverting them, and basically making a horrible little hole for filth and a top that just looks like a nipple BUT IT IS LYING. After cleaning it up, I checked the rest and yeah turns out 3 others were horrible fetid potholes. Decoy you dirty rear end bastard

So the moral of the story is go check out some weird cat nipples.