Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

derp posted:

this is the club: https://www.chess.com/club/keep-your-fork

i dont remember if you can just join or have to be added

yes lets play! i'm jonasd12321, i challenged you. have room for a couple more correspondence games too if anyone else is interested :)

nice! apparently i can just join so i did that, and i accepted your challenge

en garde!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
well i just found out that the mobile app for chess.com sucks rear end and you are better off just going to the website on your phone. puzzle rush is fun!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

derp posted:

well i just found out that the mobile app for chess.com sucks rear end and you are better off just going to the website on your phone. puzzle rush is fun!

I like the mobile app well enough on the iPhone, but I've never tried the android.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the app is fine enough but i move way slower and not having puzzle rush sucks

also not being able to queue up multiple moves in bullet but meh

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Booked my flight to play Reyk. My gift to myself.

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
Awesome, I didn't know there was a dedicated SA group. I added you also kumba.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
If there's any lichess group let me know but I've got friends on there and don't want to move

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Hand Knit posted:

Booked my flight to play Reyk. My gift to myself.

Can we watch you play live?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

Can we watch you play live?

I think last year they broadcast the top 20 boards, and someone in my rating range would've been on board 30-35 to start. If that were to happen again, then no. In previous years, where my rating would've been just over 50%, I'd be around board 40 on round 2. So also no.

In other words it depends on the exact rating distribution of who ends up signing up, but it's unlikely.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

mfcrocker posted:

If there's any lichess group let me know but I've got friends on there and don't want to move

there's a group on lichess called GOON FRIEND SQUAD and although I assume they're from SA I don't know, so I started a new team:

https://lichess.org/team/lljk

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Seriously, why do Lichess correspondence games go like this so often?
https://lichess.org/YaQ1ittC/white

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I’m surprised by that guy’s rating given the moves, seems more like a blitz approach

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Half the Tata Steel players went for openings that I hadn't seen in top level classical chess for a long long time.

What is going on?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I played a bit as a kid and was Real Bad and then didn't even touch a piece until about a month ago. It's fun now that I'm back into it- looks like my ratings are starting to converge to 1000-1100 on chess.com, which makes sense. I gotta stop playing the AI, though, no matter how tempting it is to be able to just do that real fast and not worry if I get called away by something. I can't staaaaand daily chess, though; I'm in the chess.com site's yearly tournament for it, and my god, it's a nightmare for me. Still managed to pull off one upset on a 1300+ rated player, though, which I was real proud of. Hopefully I can slowly improve over the year.

Joined the goon group on chess.com! (It says 1240, which is dumb and bad because it's just overreacting to me going like 3-6 against a stronger field in the one daily tournament I'm in)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Got my 100 blitz games acheiv on chess.com after having an account there for 5 years lol. Blitz is really fun once you lose enough times to start winning some of the time

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hanging your queen is less embarrassing in blitz than a daily game, where it seriously makes me question my sanity and powers of perception.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
blunder all your pieces, win on time. 3 | 0 is where it's at. gave away both rooks and my queen and still won. somehow it still feels good even though it's completely stupid

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Mozi posted:

Hanging your queen is less embarrassing in blitz than a daily game, where it seriously makes me question my sanity and powers of perception.

:same:

If people are interested I should post the self-analysis I did of two matches I played in the daily tournament, one win, and one loss that I literally had in my hands until I made an exceptionally stupid and irredeemable move that made me lose outright. It's sure something. I shoulda beaten that 1380 player both ways, dangit, and not split 1-1! :saddowns: More broadly, I've been trying to analyze a number of my games both to figure out why my mistakes are mistakes, and what I was thinking when I made those mistakes, to try to not make the same mistake more than 20 or so times before I stop doing it. I didn't know how :justpost: this thread was about that sort of thing.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I would love to read that sort of thing, bring it on. It's something I've been recently tempted to start doing myself

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/tata-steel-masters-2019/3/1/2

Ding with the aggressive king. I really would've loved to see him play the computer-optimal 28...f4, but I guess that was just a bit too inhuman.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hand Knit posted:

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/tata-steel-masters-2019/3/1/2

Ding with the aggressive king. I really would've loved to see him play the computer-optimal 28...f4, but I guess that was just a bit too inhuman.

Lovely

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mukaikubo posted:

:same:

If people are interested I should post the self-analysis I did of two matches I played in the daily tournament, one win, and one loss that I literally had in my hands until I made an exceptionally stupid and irredeemable move that made me lose outright. It's sure something. I shoulda beaten that 1380 player both ways, dangit, and not split 1-1! :saddowns: More broadly, I've been trying to analyze a number of my games both to figure out why my mistakes are mistakes, and what I was thinking when I made those mistakes, to try to not make the same mistake more than 20 or so times before I stop doing it. I didn't know how :justpost: this thread was about that sort of thing.

:justpost: is a great mentality for these slow threads imo, do it!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I did a blitz game and made 0 blunders according to the computer. there should be an achiev for that

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Alright, let's see how this works. For backstory, this is my group in the chess.com 2019 Daily Tournament. Five people in my group bailed, so it was basically a round-robin with 7 people, with one person in the 1100s, one person in the 1300s, and I don't think anyone else below 1400. Murderer's row for a poor newbie. I handily beat the 1100s guy 2-0 in a pair of quick matches, split with the 1300-some 1-1 because I blundered away a sure win twice, and everyone else pretty handily pounded me into dust. I seem to have circled around 1100 for my 5-10 minute games, which is where I prefer. I'm gonna look at the two matches I had that I split with the 1300+ player, because that shows some of my bad habits pretty well, I think, and lets me berate myself a bit for being legally blind. My long-term goal is to get good enough to give a good account of myself in an OTB tournament of five, with my short term goal being "stop making idiot blunders every other match" qualitatively and "hit 1300+ in multiple time controls and tactics" quantitatively, hoping to be able to do the latter in 2019. So! First I want to look at my loss-that-go-away; it shows me as nearly 1200 here because I'd just finished and won both games against the 1100 in my group and hadn't hit any of my losses against the higher ranked folk yet.

I dunno how to do fancy stuff so here's the board https://www.chess.com/analysis-board-editor?diagram_id=5021694 someone can tell me what the best way to format this junk is, I have the PGN and whatever with these comments in there but people can click along with the board I think. Rather than post the full move list I am going to zero in on what I think the big mistakes on both sides were and why- there's more commentary by me in the analysis board. I think.

-The start was all wrong, because I have no idea how to properly execute a Sicilian. :v:
- 9. O-O was a surprise to me, and a gift. I was afraid he'd bring his bishop out to put me in check and I'd have to either ruin my ability to castle or at best let him choose to trade a knight/bishop and then wreck my ability to castle. Instead, he castles early, when I don't have a good threat anywhere, and that buys me time to develop some pieces so I can castle later.
- 17. c3 I understand the urge to protect the bishop instead of trade- I probably trade way too much- but here, he sealed up his bishop instead of trading bishops; it feels like he just wasn't comfortable with the pace of play and wanted to take a slow.
- 19. ...Na4 I am not sure why I did this. I wanted to threaten the bishop despite it being no threat to anyone. I think my plan was to overload c3, but he can reinforce it in fewer moves than I can bring another threat, so really, there's no threat on c3 I can credibly give and I just put my knight on the edge for no raisin.
- 22. ...h5 is a mystery to me. I traded away a mobile knight for an immobile bishop- not great. Then, when his rook slid over to finish the trade, I... push my h pawn forward to? I could have started the races by sending a rook onto the a-file and force him to start reacting to me, but this pawn move was passive and pretty much invites him to just solidify his pawn structure with 23. g5, which he does, and now I have to pull my bishop back and I've lost a step.
- 24. Nd4 is the first absolutely critical error of the game, and the first Interesting move, I think. Here's the problem- I trade error for error next move and don't exploit my opening. I immediately saw the tactical attack I executed, trading a bishop for a knight and a pawn and opening their middle even more to set up the rooks to control open files in the middle of the board. Nice! But what I DIDN'T see, but would have if I'd been more patient in this daily game, is that I could attack with my rook first. I saw that, but I didn't take it the next two moves; I saw that I could trade a rook for a knight and a pawn, but I did not realize that doing so would fork the rook and king: 24 ...Rxc3 25. Rxc3 Bxd4 and I fork and necessarily go up a rook. That would have pretty much ended the game. Instead, I took the obvious good move and didn't look beyond that to see the slightly-less-obvious great move. That's something I GOTTA work on.
-30. ...Rd5 is a complete failure of will. All I had to do was finish trading off rooks, and I've got a straight up pawn endgame 6 pawns vs. 5 with a better position, and I'd have to really blunder to not at least draw. Instead, I try to get a little tricky, only I do it in a way that doesn't actually compel him to do anything. And best case, if he takes the "bait", I isolate a pawn. Huh? I make a worse mistake later, but this is the original fuckup.
-31 ...e5 blunders the game away. I don't want to talk about it. :( It's a wonder I can put my own clothes on when I make mental errors like that readily! This was a win- even after I made two key mistakes, I could have ground out a win, but I can't survive the third blunder in 7 moves.

So, that was kind of ugly. But let's look at the game I actually won!

https://www.chess.com/analysis-board-editor?diagram_id=5021784

Once again, I have no idea how to execute or attack a Sicilian, as you can all see in the early game. :shobon:

- 6. f4 is... I think I'd just watched the video about how side by side pawns are the best thing ever. Sometimes they are not. This is one of those sometimes. He promptly trades pawns and now the middle of the board is a single lonely, isolated pawn that could be a sore spot the rest of the game.
-8. ...Bb7 was a literal godsend, and set up my best move of either game. It's a startlingly passive move; it doesn't appear to accomplish anything other than maybe clear out for a queenside castle??? But when I saw it, and stared at the board for a few seconds, something went *click*.
-9. Bxf7. Hot drat. Look, I just spent the rest of this post being snarky to myself, I can exult in the one Great Play I saw all by myself. Up above, I mentioned that I have to start seeing a few moves ahead and setting up material gains. Well, here I do, and it's not as obvious as a lot of the tactics I see at my level, so I think it's a pretty respectable play. If anything else, Always Look At Attacking f2 is now engraved in my memory because of how well it set up the trade that won me a pawn and gave me a commanding position after 11. Qxc5; I'm up a pawn, and now their pawn structure is as ragged as mine is. They never really recover from this though I give them a chance to.
- 13. Qc4 Specifically, I try to give back my positional advantage here. It's clear what the thought was- I wanted to put pressure to his king, because that pawn I isolated on e4 is still a painful open wound for me that I should have just written off long ago, but I'm still trying to save. I completely miss that the pawn move forward cuts off my attack and pressures my queen to make me lose a tempo and gives him a critical chance to recover- and when I retreat, I do it to d3, because I'm still trying to save that pawn!
-15. c4 I'm shook and should have taken a longer think. At this point I'm DESPERATE to stabilize my position by trading queens, because I in this moment want nothing more but to salvage a draw and not 'waste' my good play. I want to so badly that I offer him his choice of pawns to trade, just let me trade that queen come on please
-15. ...Qb6 saves me. Hey, what's that? *He* also made an unwise queen move to put pressure on a king where a piece could both block the attack and pressure the queen in return? Gosh, that sounds exactly like my Qc4 move, and I manage to punish it with the obvious bishop move.
-17. Qd7+ is a move I'm kind of proud of, in hindsight. I could have taken the queen immediately, and it's be an even trade but with a black pawn close in. Instead I push forward to give check, and instead of him getting to move a pawn forward, it's still a straight trade but his knight has to go backwards into a position it doesn't have to do much.
-17. ...Re7 It's nice to know someone else can make bonehead blunders. This transformed the even queen trade into a queen for a queen+rook, and basically sealed the game for me.
-26. Nd7 A lot of maneuvering and not a lot of interesting action. At this point I start getting overaggressive and taking trades anywhere I can just to get to a relatively straightforward endgame. A better player probably could have punished my myopic focus on simplification.

Aside from a neat final 2 moves that would make a fun beginner puzzle, that's the end of that game. So what are my takeaways?

*I'm slowly and painfully starting to look to put together Interesting attacks, but not quite often enough
*I lose sight of keeping a good pawn structure and positional play around the center in the name of aggression and trading down too often
*If you gently caress up and isolate a pawn and can't protect it without shredding your own position tying yourself in knots to keep up with the pressure being put on it, *don't try to protect it you fool!*
*I blunder a lot :saddowns:

All stuff I can work on.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 15, 2019

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
New tournament up. https://www.chess.com/tournament/new-years-conflict-resolution
If you're already in 'Keep Your Fork' then you already have an invite. If not let me know if you want an invite.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

I'm in, lord help me. Please, goons, help shed some of the rating inflation that puts me at 1240 :shepface:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Great I have a full time job now but sure I can use an hours homework every night

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Thanks for sharing these games. Some random thoughts.

Game 1:

4...Qe6+ — So generally speaking, you don't want your queen here. If he plays Be2 to block the check, then your queen on e6 is not only blocking your c8 bishop from getting out, it's also blocking your e-pawn from moving forwards which means that your f8 bishop can't get out either. As counterintuitive as it may be, in these super early positions, it's perfectly okay to just move your queen back to d8. The two most important things you've accomplished from pushing d5 are eliminating your opponent's e pawn, and opening the d-file for your rook (eventually). You get to keep those. You don't have any plans to win immediately with your queen, so get it to safety and put the rest of your pieces on good squares.

6... Bg4 — Something to keep in mind is that once the queens are off, white's c2 pawn gets a little weak. You're not planning to take his knight here (the bishop pair is far too valuable in this kind of position), so an idea might be to play Bf5, attacking c2. Whatever white plays to defend the pawn — d3, Kd1, or Bd1 — will be a concession.

9. 0-0 — You said you were worried about Bb5+ and losing the ability to castle. Don't be. With the queens off your king isn't in much danger if you have to play Ke7 or Kf8. Just take the time to figure out how you're going to get your rooks into play.

15...Rac8 — The best move you played. We've already mentioned the c-pawn being weak. You also have a far better semi-open file to control (your opponent only has the e-file, which isn't so good here).

16...Bf6 — Play Nb6 immediately. One of the things you want to do is keep as much control of the c-file as you can, which means stopping white from playing c4. His bishop on b2, while strong, is also not that threatening because you're going to come in with your knight and gently caress it up. Nc4 is actually a massive threat for you after Nb6, because white doesn't have a satisfactory way to defend both the bishop on b2 and the pawn on a3.

18... g6 — You're not getting mated, so make sure you control the d-file with Rd8. Your position would probably be close to winning, since you'd control everything.

19... Na4 — You're unsure about this move. It's fine, but it has to be part of a bigger plan. See white's stupid c3-b4-a3 pawn structure? You can absolutely dominate it by putting a pawn on b5. Now you have one of your pawns controlling three of your opponents, and you can line up and focus on c3. Na4 lets you do that with tempo, since white has to do something to protect the pawn on c3. This is a bit of a fine-grained point with respect to your game. The point about the pawn countering the pawn structure is the most important thing to remember.

22...h5 — You control the open files that exist. No need to create new ones. His kingside pawn attack is going nowhere.

For game 1, I want to leave you with the position after white's 26th move because this is probably the most important thing to look at. Review this position and ask yourself what is your plan to win. You're up a pawn and control the central space, so you should be winning. But how do you actually go about doing that? How do you consolidate your control of space in a way that lets you make progress? How do you keep your rooks active while denying your opponent the same? Where will your likely breakthroughs be? This is the sort of position where reviewing it will make you a lot better.

Game 2:

13. Qc4+ — You have a rook on the same file as your opponent's king, and no pawns in between. Your first thought should always be how to exploit that. I think both moves that attack the knight, e5 or Bg5, finish the game quickly.

15. c4 — So your attack has stalled. At times like this, a big skill is being able to refocus on the new plan. Your opponent's bishop and king are still awful, and the knight on f6 is very vulnerable. Your focus should be on getting your pieces towards his king, which means getting your knight and last rook into play. Positions like this can turn very quickly if you're not careful, since despite everything else being bad, your opponent can end up with more pieces in the centre and from there salvage the game.

There doesn't seem to be much else to say about this one. Good job seeing the Bxf7+ idea.

Some comments about the Sicilian in game 2, since you seemed confused about what your opponent was doing. Black really doesn't want to trade the knights on d4 like that because it means that white gets a good queen on d4 that black has a hell of a time dealing with. Your game played out nothing like this game normally does (white basically never trades knights on c6, though I suppose if you do that f4 is the right follow up since it stops black completely taking over the game with d5), but in these kinds of Sicilians black's goal is often to deny white an obvious point of attack, and then hope that your pieces are dynamic enough to compensate for your positional shittiness after you break white's centre with f5.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Woo I'm in, good thing a bunch of my games just endes

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Well, I joined the goon tournament. Despite almost never using chess.com. Hope I remember to make my moves.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I joined the goon tournament even though I only ever play blitz, so I expect to get crushed when my opponents have more than 3 minutes to think about their moves.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Woah, that filled up fast. Good luck everyone.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
what are your favorite blitz openings for black? for white ive been using that 'turtle' opening, which is pretty easy to play without thinking pretty much no matter what black plays. is there anything similar for black? do you have an opening you use every game, or most games?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I think most people have two openings as black. One against e4 and one against everything else.
My main defense is a king's indian, which works against pretty much everything.
My main defense against e5 is a french Sicilian, mostly because e4 players (on Lichess blitz at my level) love variants with 2.Bc4 or 3.Bc4 or 4.Bc4, and having the e5 pawn ready confuses them in hilarious ways.
https://lichess.org/gtWdmOGTM6y9

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hah, gunna have to try that one thanks xD

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like I'm playing the computer with 4 premoves off the bat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Unrelated to goons playing chess, but Carlsen just beat Giri's streak of 20 consecutive draws in classical chess.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, Lichess puzzles are originally all auto-generated from games that really happened on the server instead of constructed. This leads to some a bit dumb ones.

But today's puzzle is pretty interesting. I have never seen an under-promotion opportunity in a real game, this is the first one.
https://lichess.org/training/70066

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Is it weird that my lichess classical rating is 400+ points higher than my blitz rating? Looking at these graphs of my blitz games, I'm getting flagged more than twice as often as my opponents, so I really suck at time management. Also, my opponents force me to checkmate them way more often, so I probably resign too early.

https://lichess.org/insights/AlekhineThinkov/termination/result/variant:blitz/result:1,3/termination:1,3,6

e: these games are mostly 3+2

JayMax fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tonberrytoby posted:

So, Lichess puzzles are originally all auto-generated from games that really happened on the server instead of constructed. This leads to some a bit dumb ones.

But today's puzzle is pretty interesting. I have never seen an under-promotion opportunity in a real game, this is the first one.
https://lichess.org/training/70066

I love how delightfully human that game is, Black has a solid advantage makes a few blunders and it's mate.

Chess is pretty cool.