Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Addition!

Three Reaper Bones Dragons, 2 small 1 large, in 28mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, oath nine Dark Elf Corsairs and nine Dark Elf Crossbowmen. I refuse to call them Darkshards. That's a silly name. Oh, and they're 28mm GW.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

JerryLee posted:

:siren: OATH ADDITION :siren:

In addition to the above, I, JerryLee, further oath to paint one "Satheras, Male Warlock" by Reaper in 28mm

stabbington posted:

I swear to paint this Umbra Legate (28mm Infinity from Corvus Belli) by the end of February.

Weirdo posted:

I Weirdo Oath 5 Fleabag Riders by Mantic Games, 28mm, for the month of February.

Signal posted:

Oath Addition!
Three Reaper Bones Dragons, 2 small 1 large, in 28mm.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath nine Dark Elf Corsairs and nine Dark Elf Crossbowmen. I refuse to call them Darkshards. That's a silly name. Oh, and they're 28mm GW.

Oaths Accepted!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I, HiveCommander, oath five Diamond Corps, an M8-Blitz Auto-Tank, Leopold Magnus and his cypher Static from Sodapop Miniatures for the month of February

28mm by the way. I've been really bad and forgetting to take photos of stuff before I start painting so I haven't been very active in the thread, but it's my Goon Years' resolution to change that :shobon:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

HiveCommander posted:

I, HiveCommander, oath five Diamond Corps, an M8-Blitz Auto-Tank, Leopold Magnus and his cypher Static from Sodapop Miniatures for the month of February

28mm by the way. I've been really bad and forgetting to take photos of stuff before I start painting so I haven't been very active in the thread, but it's my Goon Years' resolution to change that :shobon:

Oath Accepted!

I feel ya on the 'forgot to take pictures'!

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:ducksiren: December judgment! :ducksiren:

Third Place, 1 Point: Slimnoid

Both the gremlins and marines look great this time around. I really like the dark tone of the wood on the bases of the gremlins, it goes well with the clothes, contrasts nicely with the green skin tone. Same goes for the Deathwing Knights, really like the bases, and the dark skin tone goes together nicely with the armor and the darker shades on the maces and rims of the shields.

Second Place, 2 Points: LaikatheSpaceDog

Love the look of the tile and the sink. Very cool and grimy. I really dig your shading/highlighting technique, I've always like the look of the blockier style of highlighting. And of course the mirror is cool as hell.

First Place, 3 Points: Ledgem

I really dig this model. Very cool idea for the base, with the melted snow around the spire. Came out perfectly. I love the look of that brown you used on the back spines and head and leg armor. Matches the purple perfectly, and the lighter color of the wings as well.

Jurnal, 1 Point: Slimnoid

Hey, I get to give you a point just because of the cool things you do on your bases! Your weathering effects have been great month after month, these ones are no different. The rust specifically looks very well placed, great technique.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I hope it's not too late to oath!

I'm committing to finishing my new Librarian.

Edit: just read the rules, I'll get the right time zone in there.

E2:

Bavius fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 15, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I, Ugleb, oath for the month of Febuaty 2015 2x PHR Helios for Dropzone Commander, 10mm scale, by Hawk Wargames.

As I still have a bunch of stuff I've already started to finish up and Febuary is half done already, I'm keeping the oath small!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oathing 6 Necron Wraiths:

Oath addition of 1 Plague 3rd Gen Sphyr Aqissiaq and 1 Plague 3D. (Mantic Games 28mm)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Bavius posted:

I hope it's not too late to oath!

I'm committing to finishing my new Librarian.

Edit: just read the rules, I'll get the right time zone in there.

E2:
Thanks for editing your post!

Ugleb posted:

I, Ugleb, oath for the month of Febuaty 2015 2x PHR Helios for Dropzone Commander, 10mm scale, by Hawk Wargames.

As I still have a bunch of stuff I've already started to finish up and Febuary is half done already, I'm keeping the oath small!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oath addition of 1 Plague 3rd Gen Sphyr Aqissiaq and 1 Plague 3D. (Mantic Games 28mm)

Oaths Accepted!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I have a question about the one-time bonuses, not necessarily for this month but in general:

If I pose a model in a combat scene, and then write some backstory about the scene, could I claim both Strike a Pose and In Battle! at the same time?

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:goatdrugs: DECEMBER JUDGEMENT :goatdrugs:

1 Point - SRM

This is quite a complex and unusual scheme, pulled together seemingly effortlessly! Several different elements play off each other; the bright copper and comparatively dull silver, the green casings and red insignias, and white armor with deep black shading, not to mention further details of blue and yellow-green. Each of these relationships is handled really nicely, and they avoid being too clashy. Tricky stuff, good maneuvering.

2 Points - Ledgem

I can only imagine how unwieldy this thing is to paint. The flesh tones are looking really nice, and the gold scales contrast in a super tasteful way. The pinks and reds on his head bring the attention to the right place first, and aside from that you've kept it from being overcomplicated, which allows the model itself to share more of the spotlight. The cool blue-grey on the base rocks pretty hard, too, I find it refreshing like a cold drink.

3 Points - Slimnoid

Those are some really unique and handsome deathwing knights for sure, but it's these goblins that caught my eye most of all. Everything is just working so well. The green is deep but lively, and a little sickly. The spectrum of clothing colors is suitably drab, making it easy to bring out a few well-chosen details (I'm looking at you, pig). Good use of the grass, water effects, and mugs (!) on the bases, they absolutely seal the deal.

Bonus Journal Point - Laika the Space Dog

Whoa! Another charming and characterful piece. That sink looks completely nasty, in a disturbingly believable way. The reflection is what I am impressed most with; matching the look of the character in 2d and 3d is challenging enough, and you've gone ahead and painted the wall behind him as well as several different weathering techniques layered on top. Well done, it looks great!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

krushgroove posted:

I think Iris of Ether just needs to catch up with the spreadsheet, you'll be OK!

Iris of Ether is so, so behind right now. Been hittin' the Skyrim a little too hard. :shobon:

With that said, I think I finally put completion status for the small handful of outstanding January oaths in my spreadsheet, so :siren: please check to make sure things look right! :siren: I'll give it a few days before I do prize drawings.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

My spreadsheet stuff looks mostly OK, I think it's only missing the terrain qualification for December (the big marine statue).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Faaaah super :effort: this month. Oath Complete: Halbarand, Cleric by Reaper Miniatures Bones

It's mega :effort: but it's my first (completed) paint on plastic in 6 months. My white and dark red have dried out, and I desperately need to rewire my lightbox (none of the three lights worked at all), and generally :argh: at life with it, but it's done, and speedpainted no less. Quality is acceptable but not exceptional, thanks in no small part to various washes.

Completion pic:

Claiming:
Jurnal: Fourth Wall the Torm for Dummies book in the little cutaway.
Jurnal: Freehand the Torm symbol on his chest tabard.
Speedpainting: two and a half loving hours bitches.
Hopefully Fly Your Flag for the Cormyrean purple dragon symbol on the back which is freehanded onto a freehanded shield on his otherwise-blank cloak - but it's not technically speaking a banner, and I'm never winning, so meh if it doesn't fly(!).

e: oh holy poo poo my camera has too many megapixels, don't zoom in guys it has nothing but flaws if you look any closer aaaaaaaah.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATHING: Jaga-Jaga, The Death Charmer from Privateer Press

Also...

Bachtere posted:

:ducksiren: December judgment! :ducksiren:

[...]

First Place, 3 Points: Ledgem

:stare:

And 2nd from Monoliths too!

Thank You! Wow! That dragon was such a fun project and I love how the melted snow turned out so much. I'm gettin' better with scenic water stuff! The painting itself was a blast too. It means a lot to me though wow! This made my day!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:siren: OATHS COMPLETE

Skeleton archer unit:

Mummy captain:

Warlock-type dude:

I decided that rather than removing/covering his integrated base I'd try incorporating it into the scene as a sort of stone slab. I tried painting it a similar shade to the red rubble at first, didn't like it, so I made it a contrasting color and freehanded a bunch of lines onto it to give it a ritual look. I think it ended up working out okay.

The Jurnal is the inscriptions on the scroll he's holding:

While they probably look like generic ye olde magick runes at a glance, the keen-eyed and esoterically knowledgeable may recognize that, in fact, they spell out "DONGS" when transliterated from Elder Futhark.

The devastating effects of the spell thus invoked are, presumably, best left to the imagination.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Addition!

As the Helios skimmers are going well, I hereby add to my burdens two PHR Angelos skimmers for Dropzone Commander, 10mm, by Hawk Wargames.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 18, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ledgem posted:

OATHING: Jaga-Jaga, The Death Charmer from Privateer Press

Ugleb posted:

Oath Addition!

As the Helios skimmers are going well, I hereby add to my burdens two PHR Angelos skimmers for Dropzone Commander, 10mm, by Hawk Wargames.
Oaths Accepted!

JerryLee posted:

I have a question about the one-time bonuses, not necessarily for this month but in general:

If I pose a model in a combat scene, and then write some backstory about the scene, could I claim both Strike a Pose and In Battle! at the same time?

Yep! You also get the Double the fun! Achievement, if you claim it!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I, jodai, oath these: Governor's Proxy, a special sewer base, Vanessa, Taelor, 3 Ronin, all from Malifaux(Wyrd Miniatures, 32mm)

The Governor's Proxy, the base and Vanessa haven't been primed and Vanessa has a hand from a different model so that's why she's got some color.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Additional Oath: 3 count-as Servo Skulls (Games Workshop, 28mm)

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
I, Android, oath 3 hellbats and 3 tentacles (flying frog 28mm)

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Oath Complete!

Camera ate the highlights on a lot of that red, but drat that was a fun model to paint. Mostly glazes over zenithal primer, messing around with vallejo game air bloody red (that color is good, you should probably buy it).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

stabbington posted:

Oath Complete!

Camera ate the highlights on a lot of that red, but drat that was a fun model to paint. Mostly glazes over zenithal primer, messing around with vallejo game air bloody red (that color is good, you should probably buy it).

Shiiiiiiiit son, that's some drat good work.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

I, Bad Decision Dino, oath that I will paint these 5 Games Workshop Eldar Striking Scorpions.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Slimnoid posted:

Additional Oath: 3 count-as Servo Skulls (Games Workshop, 28mm)

Very good.

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, hereby Oath: 1 Testors Ryan PT-20 Trainer and 1 Testors Gee Bee Racer.

Both planes have been battle-damaged and Chaosified. Also visible is the Green Stuff that will be artistically glopped onto the base.

Edit: Is imgur having problems? My image disappeared. I'll try it again...

LaikatheSpaceDog fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 21, 2015

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Final oath: A warrior (Reaper) and Argus Moonhound (Privateer Press)

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for February six Reaper Bones miniatures.
Back row: Stone Golem; Halbarand, Cleric; IMEF: Nick Stone; Duke Gerard
Front row: Sascha Dubois; Arthrand Nightblade, Elf Ranger

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

stabbington posted:

vallejo game air bloody red (that color is good, you should probably buy it).

I try not to buy new paints just to buy new paints, but you make one hell of a sales pitch

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Complete!

M1 Blitz Tank:

Jurnal is the attempt at anime/manga style cell-shading and outlining, it shows a bit better in real life (if that doesn't qualify then there's NMM on the gun barrel and exhausts too).

Diamond Corps Squad:

I quickly grew to hate these guys and the blobby details which should have been sharp, I guess it's the downside of the material/casting technique used.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Last minute oath!
I WhiteOutMouse Oath 2x priests, 2x guardsmen and 1x heavy weapon team 28mm Mantic corporation miniatures and 28mm Warmachine miniatures both uses in conversions/count as for 40k. Themed Group

Left two metal guys are unprimed, middle 60mm is primed white and right two are sprayed red.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
My February Oath is Rats!

(Reaper Bones 28mm)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Adding this Privateer Press mercenary heavy warjack head to my oath - I'll be using it for the jurnal this month on one of the other items I oathed earlier.

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

I, Vermintide oath one Skaven Doom Flayer (28mm GW)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Deathwing Terminator

Terminator Apothecary

Techmarine

Inquisitor

Assault Squad

Servo-skulls

I'm claiming this month's journal (4th wall) on the Servo-skulls (they're the bots from MST3k! In 40k!) as well as I rolled a 6! on the servo-skulls, since they're game markers and not actual units in their own right.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

MST40K bots own.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete

Backstory

These Dreadball Xtreme pirates are painted up as members of the Securan race - from my Distant Worlds LP

The Securan Paradise having conquered the know Galaxy and instated the Pax Secura. After generations of peace and love, the population at large was board of the Peace - they wanted some violence like their ancestors. Hence the Securan 69'ers were born!

Taking the sexy green alien space babe cliche and running it to the endzone, the 69'ers lull their opponents into a false sense of security before beating them into a pulp - and the 69'ers don't just keep to the regular Dreadball - they are also know to hit the Xtreme circuit to try some more illicit fun.

Journal - Take your pick from
1) Sexy Redheaded Greenskinned Aliens
2) The race from my Distant worlds LP
3) The Iron Man style uniform.

I think I have this one covered!

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, oath for February, one Skorza Shieldbreaker, from Wrath of Kings by Cool Mini or Not
28mm scale, ~3 inches tall.

Somewhat belated, as it's taken a week to get them all put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

:barf: DECEMBER JUDGMENT :barf:

3rd Place (1 Point) – Red Shoe
I always admire your work, but there’s something about this month’s selection that really does it for me. You’ve got some nice spots of bright color that really make things pop. The touches of blue on the rangers, the OSL on the stingers, the green runes on the sword. The big thing that does it for me is the… well, the big thing. The Earthbreaker That looks like a model where it would be easy to get it looking dull and monotonous with all those flat areas of metal. The pitting and layered effect with the paint is sheer genius. It keeps everything consistent while adding visual interest where there normally wouldn’t be any. I’m guessing this guy will get a lot of double-takes on the battlefield.

2nd Place (2 Points) – Ledgem
Gorgeous color selection. You do a nice job of making some nice colorful contrasts while keeping things subdued enough that it’s not over the top. The purple and the yellow-ish brown work great together. I wish there was a few closer photos so I could judge the brushwork more closely, but everything looks smooth and flows together gorgeously. Wonderful, intimidating model. I love the melted snow effect on the base, as well!

1st Place (3 points) – Laika the Space Dog

For the sake of Odin’s balls, you monster, stop it. While taking wonderful 90s GW models and putting them in cool and characterful scenes isn’t a crime in my America (not yet, at least), I’m pretty sure that incredible freehand painting is. Copyright infringement, you gently caress. The image of that Ogryn is copyrighted by GW, and you just broke the law. You’ll be getting a lawyer and a SWAT team at your door shortly. I hope the memory of these points keep you warm WHILE YOU'RE IN JAIL!!!! I’d say more, about the grimy sink, about the wonderful cracked mirror, but there’s really no point. Get back to painting and try to submit more photos before you get taken to jail.

Bonus Journal Point (1 Point) – Red Shoe
I mentioned the chipping effect, right? I particularly like that the metal underneath isn’t rusted, and that the demarcation between paint and metal isn’t blocked off with black. It makes it subtle. You can see the layers without it seeming 2-dimensional or painted-on.

• Locked thread