Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I haven't played it (I keep meaning to) but I faintly recall hearing from multiple sources that Ciphers are basically the god-kings of unique dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zaodai posted:

At least solo it will. If you've got at least one other character you're probably fine.

Bears are nature's perfect killing machine, after all. Speaking of, are Ranger pets decent? I don't think I tried a ranger. Rogue always seemed a better choice for a shootyman.
Yeah, that was half a joke. It just feels like "Go into the bear cave alone, get loving murdered" is a bit of a rite of passage for new PoE players. :v:

My current character is a dwarven ranger with a bear pet, and it's powerful enough. The bear isn't terribly tanky, but not exactly fragile either and it hits like a truck since I invested some talents in it.

EDIT: To elaborate, it ignores 3 points of DR, gets a 30% sneak attack damage bonus plus a separate 50% damage bonus vs. targets suffering from DoT's. The ranger's Wounding Shot both hobbles the target (Hobbled qualifies for sneak attack) and makes it bleed. And on top of that I have the Marked Prey ability for when I'm feeling extra spiteful. Combine all that and poo poo loving dies.

I mean my custom-created rogue still has the party's top scores for kills and damage because she's a ridiculous murder machine, but I'm pretty sure if the game counted my ranger and his bear as one it might be different.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 19, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaodai posted:

At least solo it will. If you've got at least one other character you're probably fine.

Bears are nature's perfect killing machine, after all. Speaking of, are Ranger pets decent? I don't think I tried a ranger. Rogue always seemed a better choice for a shootyman.

I used the ranger companion because her banter with Edér is great ("ohhhh, i just wanna hug your fluffy doggy" "yes well it's not my fault if you lose your fingers"). The pet is a very decent aggro puller, and does reasonably good damage on top of that... and then your Ranger is murdering poo poo with a bow from the back row and dropping some lower-level nature magic to insult your enemies even further. It's really great, they didn't make any dump classes (except paladin)

My Lovely Horse posted:

I haven't played it (I keep meaning to) but I faintly recall hearing from multiple sources that Ciphers are basically the god-kings of unique dialogue.

Ciphers get a lot of extra class-specific dialogue but it's more for prying into the lore and stuff--as far as I can tell, it doesn't actually have that much more true check-circumventing potential than any other class. I mean, I loved playing Cipher because while I like Vancian casting, unfortunately PoE made the mistake of making Vancian casters refresh their spells per rest while making Ciphers restore MP per encounter, so they're just more convenient to play as because you don't have to mash R every other battle.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 19, 2016

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
As for attributes: Resolve is the very best stat for conversation options, I think, followed by Perception and Intelligence. Constitution is the worst, so you might want to pick a weedy class.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Resolve options also tend to be forceful "You do what I want" -kinda choices, so ultimately it comes down to what kind of person you want your character to be.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I found a breakdown on Reddit of dialogue by class/background/I forget what else, I played the game a year ago. Cipher is definitely the champion, but Paladin and Priest are close. A disclaimer though: at least in 1.0 Paladins are bad, and you get a Priest as one of your first NPC companions (and arguably the most interesting of them).

Barbarian: 3 Chanter: 2 Cipher: 17 Druid: 1 Fighter: 5 Monk: 2 Paladin: 1 + Order Priest: 6 (3 unique - without equivalent "Clergyman" background check) + Deity Ranger: 3 Rogue: 3 Wizard: 4

Kind Wayfarers: 7 Bleak Walkers: 6 Shieldbearers: 3 Goldpact: 2 Darcozzi: 3

Berath: 3 Skaen: 7 Magran: 6 Wael: 5 Eothas: 7

Aristocrat: 8 Artist: 4 Clergyman: 7 (4 unique) Colonist: 9 Dissident: 6 Drifter: 4 Explorer: 9 Hunter: 10 Laborer: 8 Mercenary: 8 Merchant: 11 Mystic: 5 Philosopher: 11 Raider: 11 Scholar: 13 Scientist: 6 Slave: 7

Aedyr: 12 (5 of them with Aloth) Deadfire: 9 Ixamitl Plains: 1 Old Vailia: 4 Rautai: 9 - 8 with Kana The Living Lands: 9 White That Wends: 14

Aumaua: 7 Coastal Aumaua: 1

Dwarf: 0 Boreal Dwarf: 1

Elf: 1 Snow Elf: 7 (3 with Glaswal)

Godlike: 10 Fire Godlike: 4 Nature Godlike: 2 Moon Godlike: 2 Death Godlike: 3

Human: 1

Orlan: 14 (5 with Captain Aldmar) Hearth Orlan: 1 Wild Orlan: 1

Male: 7 Female: 12

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I picked a fighter as my main, against the advice of the wiki and I regret it. It's a useful class in a fight, but you get Eder so early there's no reason to be one yourself. If I weren't too far in to start over, I'd have picked cipher, their playstyle is pretty rad (and you get a free glowing weapon, and who doesn't love that).

I actually picked a paladin as my very first character but fortunately quickly rectified my mistake. The alignment gimmick is neat but basically they're less fun fighters otherwise.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
You can always bench Eder and get a replacement from the Inn. Also, eventually enough people offer to join that you'll have a voiced party member you can replace him wiith too.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gerblyn posted:

You can always bench Eder
Actually no you can't because he is the second coolest guy in the game and playing without him is objectively bad and wrong. :colbert:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So err, anything to pay attention to in Satellite Reign?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

double nine posted:

Sometimes you get bonus rewards for bringing a specific agent to an objective, so be sure you read the mission descriptions carefully and buy the extra mission info when it's available.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You also get ALL the special bonuses from taking certain agents in. The wording makes it sound like the rewards are exclusive but if the mission says Soldier and Hacker will get bonuses, go in with both.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nordick posted:

Actually no you can't because he is the second coolest guy in the game and playing without him is objectively bad and wrong. :colbert:

gently caress you eder #1 durance #2

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

The White Dragon posted:

Edér used to be #1 but now he's veeeery narrowly #2 after Zahua.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

The White Dragon posted:

None of Eder's conversations can really hold a candle to Durance turning against his god. Maybe from a gameplay perspective he's more useful but it's definitely close, priests are really good too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Durance was pure, undistilled, pretentious Avellone writing and I love it

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Durance was pure, undistilled, pretentious Avellone writing and I love it

Is that the fire priest guy you meet early on? Been ages since I've played.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

double nine posted:

Always keep moving. Enemies are infinite and will outnumber you quickly.

Level up the mind control skill asap. It instantly neutralizes lone guards, and A couple guards make good meat shields. Civilians in a guarded area triggers enemies to arrest them which is a great distraction.

The grenade skill unlocks grenades, the best item. Equip everyone with it to split up tough enemies and destroy cover

Other than that experiment with gear. A good combo when you have money is the corpse bomb coupled with the item that airdrops your dudes where they died.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Is that the fire priest guy you meet early on? Been ages since I've played.

What does the flame reveal??

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

double nine posted:

The tutorial makes it seem like stealth or combat are both feasible options, but they really aren't. Enemies are bullet sponges and the sound of gunfire just draws reinforcements so it's best to prioritize stealth--in most instances trying to shoot your way out will get you overwhelmed.

Skills and mods that allow you to take shortcuts are good to focus on early, like Hardwiring/Hacking or the arm upgrades that let you use high vents. Not only do they let you bypass lots of guarded areas in the game, but they also provide quick escapes should you get seen and need to escape.

Destroying cameras is rarely better than disabling them, since destroying cameras summons more enemies which may or may not eventually despawn. In each area there's a mission that will slow camera response times for that section of the city--once you do that mission you can pretty much just run past cameras as they won't have time to set off the alarm before you get out of range.

Always stick to cover in enemy areas, even when there are no guards or cameras around. Simply moving around in cover in hostile territory gets your agents EXP so there's no reason not to.

The hacker's Hijack ability is probably the most versatile skill in the game and you should try to max it ASAP. Hijacked guards won't attract attention, so you can use them to scout out an area and see what's there before you try to move your team. They also can also open secure doors that you'd need to hack otherwise. My favorite use for hijacked enemies is creating diversions--move a few hijacked enemies away from where you're trying to go and have them open fire on cameras or guards. All the other guards in the complex will hear the shooting and run there, allowing you to get to your destination with minimal resistance.

Speaking of diversions, if you lure a civilian into an enemy corp area, the guards will arrest them and take them outside which distracts them. Even better is if you lure a rival corp soldier in--rival corp soldiers will resist arrest and start a firefight which will escalate quickly as each side calls for reinforcements. With both factions concentrating on killing the other, you can pretty much walk right in and they'll ignore you.

If you see a guard starting to call for reinforcements, don't start shooting, because you probably won't kill them in time. Either hijack/scramble them to immediately cancel the call, or run up close before attacking--your agent will kick the guard away before he starts shooting, which will cancel the call. The Infiltrator's melee attack is good for this too since it's so absurdly damaging after a few levels in the skill.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Genpei Turtle posted:

If you see a guard starting to call for reinforcements, don't start shooting, because you probably won't kill them in time. Either hijack/scramble them to immediately cancel the call, or run up close before attacking--your agent will kick the guard away before he starts shooting, which will cancel the call. The Infiltrator's melee attack is good for this too since it's so absurdly damaging after a few levels in the skill.
The assassin's knockback shot is also good at stopping a call for reinforcements. Enemies can't call for help when punted on their asses.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 21, 2016

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Take a pistol with a silencer. Shoot people in the back with it. Instakill on anything (even high level heavies with shields + armour) and no noise. Way too many people forget that you can do that.

Fastedit: You get told about this once in the tutorial and then the game never mentions it again. It's the alt-click thing or whatever.

Also, don't rush hacking 5 on the first district. It costs way, way too much - there are only two ATMs that 'need' it, and you can try those several times with lower skill levels anyway. Just run away before the guards come to investigate.

Nullkigan fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 21, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Your infiltrator and hacker will easily be your best two units. You can give your hacker augs to let him cloak and use the same vents infiltrators can, or you can give your infiltrator an aug that lets him use the hacker's hack skill instead.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do I need to know when playing EDF! 4.1

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

What do I need to know when playing EDF! 4.1

There's not really a lot to know. Rolling is better than walking, the fencer is better than he seems and shoot bugs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

the fencer is better than he seems

Really? I've heard literally nothing but bad things about him.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Morpheus posted:

Really? I've heard literally nothing but bad things about him.

The fencer is great but one of your weapon combos will always be a shield or javelin launcher and a weapon with dash. You can use the shield reflect or javelin to cancel the recovery on the dash and suddenly you're the fastest moving class.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
One weird thing they changed in 4.1 compared to 2025 is that the first level is probably the hardest level until around level 10-12, so you're probably best off turning the difficulty down to easy just to get it out of the way, then back up to normal or hard so you can start collecting decent weapons again.

An easy way to grind for weapons early on (at least for Rangers) is to first play through levels on hard difficulty until you can get a decent rifle and rocket launcher. Then head back to level 2 and 3 and play through on very hard until you upgrade your rifle and RL again once or twice, then repeat on Inferno. You can get some really good-to-game breaking stuff pretty early this way.

Ranger's Rocket Launchers have basically unlimited range, so as soon as you see a crowd of ants on the horizon start shooting into it at random while advancing. If you're lucky enough/have a crazy enough Launcher, you can take out the entire mob before you even get close enough to use a rifle. (By the way, there's absolutely no penalty for leveling an entire city just to kill one ant, so have fun demolishing skyscrapers with all the shots you'll be missing.)

A decent easy strat for Fencers is to find a gun that reloads in the same time it takes to dump all of it's ammo (spread guns work best) and equip it on both hands. Then you can hold down one or the other trigger non-stop, for the whole level, if you want, without stopping to reload.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 21, 2016

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Any additional stuff for Grim Dawn? The wiki is kinda sparse.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I understand it's a fairly short and straightforward game, but anything I might miss first time through in Costume Quest 2?

Also, thanks for the Warcraft 3 tips!

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

edit: I'm an idiot who can't use a wiki.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

paco650 posted:

I understand it's a fairly short and straightforward game, but anything I might miss first time through in Costume Quest 2?

Also, thanks for the Warcraft 3 tips!

It's been a while, but I don't remember anything permanently missable. If you played the first, the second will seem pretty natural/similar, hit lots of stuff for candy corn, clear out all the enemies in an area for some unlocks. There's probably somebody who has played it more recently than me who can offer better advice though.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Phantom Brave is coming to Steam in a couple days, anything worth knowing?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Greaseman posted:

Phantom Brave is coming to Steam in a couple days, anything worth knowing?

If you stack people up on the top of your house (5 I think?) in the hub by throwing them on top of one another you get a bottle mail as a unit. Bottle mails suck but have the unique ability of having a 100% chance to keep the item you used to summon them on the field.

This means you can easily get powerful stuff like boss weapons which you can then use for a bunch of other power gaming stuff.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

KoldPT posted:

Hello friends, my PS4 has just shipped!

Anything for Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth,

As soon as you see a platinum sukamon get 2-3 of them. Also get 2 exp enhancing accessories for them at the digifarm as soon as possible (do the cheapest development option with all the digimon at the farm having the builder personality)

Pair 2 of them with a mon strong enough to sweep whatever random encounters and you'll cut down 90% of the tedium and get to play with the best part of the game as friction free as possible. One of the stats that is usually required for the latter digimon and only be gained by devolving digimon. I can't stress enough how helpful it is to be able to level them back up in like 5 minutes.

Always have access to a digimon with either a fixed damage or piercing ability (like gatomon). You have to fight a super high defense boss with a self healing ability several times and this piece of advice will make it 100 times less painful.

Any advice for actually getting good at Heroes of Might and Magic games? I feel as though I always turtle too much trying to get stacks of death.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 23, 2016

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DrManiac posted:

Any advice for actually getting good at Heroes of Might and Magic games? I feel as though I always turtle too much trying to get stacks of death.

There was a whole bunch of stuff a few pages back.

The very basics: have one unit do all your fighting. Money is good. Build and upgrade as fast as you can.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In Life is Strange are the optional photos always sitting out like the first couple are and I just need to find them or will some of them be the result of a) conversations with people and/or b) major decisions I need to make? If b) is Yes, then are any of them missable because of a decision I made some hours prior?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

owl_pellet posted:

In Life is Strange are the optional photos always sitting out like the first couple are and I just need to find them or will some of them be the result of a) conversations with people and/or b) major decisions I need to make? If b) is Yes, then are any of them missable because of a decision I made some hours prior?

The answer is B. Sometimes you have to do something in a scene to trigger a photo op for example you have to reverse time and warn Alyssa about the football so the window breaks.

None of the photos are permanently missable and there's a collection mode which lets you select individual scenes with no story in case you miss them.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Sweet thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just picked up Enter the Gungeon on PS4, theres nothing on the wiki, do I need to know anything? (Also The Witness and Dangerous Golf, but I've read the page for the witness and dangerous golf seems pretty self explanatory).