Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Saraiguma posted:

is there a good text writeup on the basics of LTN? I don't need it to do anything fancy just "when station a needs x of y material send train z to station b that has x of y material from a supply depot"

An LTN network has three types of stations.

1) A depot station. Wire a constant combinator to the light on the LTN station and send it the signal Depot Station. I like to name my depots AAA-Depot so they're always on top of the station list.
2) A provider station. Say it's an iron mine, with a bunch of miners feeding iron ore to a set of chests with inserters to the train cars. Wire all the chest together and then to the light on the LTN station.
3) A requester station, which has a bunch of chests and inserters unloading from the train car. Wire these chests and a constant combinator to the light on the LTN station, and then set the constant combinator to negative 8000 iron ore.
4) Set up a train, and send it to the depot on automatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Taffer posted:

Take a look at TSM too - they both have strengths but TSM made more sense to me and was a more natural extension from vanilla train setups, so it's what I use.

TSM seems neat but can you use multipurpose trains with it? It seems that each type of resource is its own closed network with its own supply depots using that mod.

Biffmotron posted:

An LTN network has three types of stations.

1) A depot station. Wire a constant combinator to the light on the LTN station and send it the signal Depot Station. I like to name my depots AAA-Depot so they're always on top of the station list.
2) A provider station. Say it's an iron mine, with a bunch of miners feeding iron ore to a set of chests with inserters to the train cars. Wire all the chest together and then to the light on the LTN station.
3) A requester station, which has a bunch of chests and inserters unloading from the train car. Wire these chests and a constant combinator to the light on the LTN station, and then set the constant combinator to negative 8000 iron ore.
4) Set up a train, and send it to the depot on automatic.

Couldn't this cause long wait times if a station doesn't have enough of a certain resource?

Saraiguma fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 4, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Saraiguma posted:

Couldn't this cause long wait times if a station doesn't have enough of a certain resource?

ltn shines when you're dealing in bulk, yeah. if you're trying to use it to manage shipping 2 or 3 stacks of things around, its gonna be clunky and bursty
happily, the solution to that is most excellent: make more poo poo

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
LTN is not great at handling small amounts, and is a complete train wreck (ha) if you try to mix deliveries of both small and large amounts of things at the same stations. There are some network things you can do to help batch up or control deliveries beyond just using the min request size, but they're complicated and error-prone.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Re: Space Exploration, I kept at it and just now an entire swarm of meteors fell directly on my Meteor Defence Installation and obliterated 28 entities in the process, including a provider chest containing 500 steel and electric furnaces :cripes:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Saraiguma posted:

TSM seems neat but can you use multipurpose trains with it? It seems that each type of resource is its own closed network with its own supply depots using that mod.

Trains are dedicated to a resources, yes. The advantage of this is that you can have trains loaded and ready to go the moment they're needed somewhere, instead of needing to go out and fill up first. Also if you like to make megabases, it doesn't hurt your UPS like LTN does.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Taffer posted:

Trains are dedicated to a resources, yes. The advantage of this is that you can have trains loaded and ready to go the moment they're needed somewhere, instead of needing to go out and fill up first. Also if you like to make megabases, it doesn't hurt your UPS like LTN does.

You can get LTN to have trains ready also by setting up the requester stations to ask for like 4 trains, but then of course you have to build a stacker at the requester station.

LTN is definitely much worse on UPS, and I am currently using TSM and starting to really like it more than LTN in some ways. It's nice that I don't have to build a dedicated stacker for each station, and instead locate my supply depot (where the loaded trains wait for a station request) wherever I want, and use a single depot to supply multiple requesters if I want, and set up secondary or tertiary supply depots as backups also.

The auto-refueling in TSM is also great, as I don't need to have a refueling setup on every single depot parking spot like I do in LTN.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Sweeper posted:

...I can’t belt enough copper wire on a single line...

It is recommended to direct-insert copper-wire from one assembly machine to another where needed, and belt the copper plates around.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Saraiguma posted:

is there a good text writeup on the basics of LTN? I don't need it to do anything fancy just "when station a needs x of y material send train z to station b that has x of y material from a supply depot"

I would recommend this very good post by forums user Bhodi

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Locator posted:

The auto-refueling in TSM is also great, as I don't need to have a refueling setup on every single depot parking spot like I do in LTN.

This is definitely my favorite feature, and one of the things that made me feel it was worth plowing through the clunky UI to use the mod. It's really convenient.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Re: Space Exploration, I kept at it and just now an entire swarm of meteors fell directly on my Meteor Defence Installation and obliterated 28 entities in the process, including a provider chest containing 500 steel and electric furnaces :cripes:

I think you can change settings for meteors in the mod settings somewhere. They're really annoying.

The thing with space exploration is that the mod author wanted to have mechanical differentiating factors between the planets, right. For some reason varying the enemy count on them and varying the efficiency of solar power on them wasn't enough, he wanted more. So he added the meteors and he added bot attrition, both of which are factors that vary across other planets, and if they just applied to other planets, that'd be cool.

Them applying to Nauvis is one of the worst parts of that mod. You can't treat nauvis the same as any other planet because you have to play the entire god damned game up until you get to rockets there! What the gently caress! At least with bot attrition if you automate bot production and insertion into the network you essentially dont' care, but meteors being ble to go smash poo poo loving sucks. gently caress

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
so I'm messing with LTN on the demo map and I have a simple iron plate setup made and it should work but it's just stalled at the depot, any ideas?

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Phobeste posted:

I think you can change settings for meteors in the mod settings somewhere. They're really annoying.

The thing with space exploration is that the mod author wanted to have mechanical differentiating factors between the planets, right. For some reason varying the enemy count on them and varying the efficiency of solar power on them wasn't enough, he wanted more. So he added the meteors and he added bot attrition, both of which are factors that vary across other planets, and if they just applied to other planets, that'd be cool.

Them applying to Nauvis is one of the worst parts of that mod. You can't treat nauvis the same as any other planet because you have to play the entire god damned game up until you get to rockets there! What the gently caress! At least with bot attrition if you automate bot production and insertion into the network you essentially dont' care, but meteors being ble to go smash poo poo loving sucks. gently caress

and the sheer amount of work to research everything is insane. compared to normal bobs run, you will add another 300 hours just to get somewhere in SE

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So what's the recommended strat for beacons? I'm trying to get a save to the point where I'll be repeatedly launching rockets, rather than quitting after the first one. Trying out beacons for the first time and the way it throws off production ratios is causing problems. I assume there's an upper limit to the usefulness of speed beacons of how fast inserters can actually work?

My attempt at a blueprint to resolve my green chip shortfall:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eschatos posted:

So what's the recommended strat for beacons? I'm trying to get a save to the point where I'll be repeatedly launching rockets, rather than quitting after the first one. Trying out beacons for the first time and the way it throws off production ratios is causing problems. I assume there's an upper limit to the usefulness of speed beacons of how fast inserters can actually work?

I'm sure this is a nice, effective design at all, but god drat are beacons ugly. The new model is not any better than the old one.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm sure this is a nice, effective design at all, but god drat are beacons ugly. The new model is not any better than the old one.

Two potential fixes for you:
Classic Beacon (original design, upscaled to high res)
Beacons But Better (less cluttered/busy design)

Edit:
Down The Rabbit Hole (goatse-flavoured beacon)

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 4, 2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GotLag posted:

Two potential fixes for you:
Classic Beacon (original design, upscaled to high res)
Beacons But Better (less cluttered/busy design)

Edit:
Down The Rabbit Hole (goatse-flavoured beacon)

That second one is actually pretty nice. The sleek design actually looks like this is an end-game tech rather than some piece of poo poo thrown together.

I get that "piece of poo poo thrown together" is Factorio's whole aesthetic, but the Beacons are supposed to be the tip-top of the tech tree. Would it really hurt for them to look like it?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The real magic impossible tech in factorio is assembler 1.

Being able to rearrange a couple metal plates into arbitrary machined shapes with a simple circuit board controlling it? Nuts.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ikanreed posted:

Being able to rearrange a couple metal plates into arbitrary machined shapes with a simple circuit board controlling it? Nuts.

this is the real burner inserter erasure

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Evilreaver posted:

this is the real burner inserter erasure

I guess I never use burner inserters because they felt like cheating.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

assemblers are magic, inserters are magic, free energy conveyor belts are spooky eldritch magic

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Eschatos posted:

Yeah, inserter speed will be a bottleneck. You also have a sort of diminishing returns on the power efficiency gain you get from adding speed beacons to prod module:d assemblers the more of them you add. Beacons that only cover a single machine are usually not a very efficient use of power and modules, if you're at a point where that matters, and especially early on you want to favor designs where beacons cover more machines. All this depends on the machine though; rocket silos and the multi-megawatt buildings mods like to add are worth beaconing on their lonesome.

Personally I've always been a fan of having lines of assemblers with beacons between and possibly to the sides. It's easy to build, understand and expand as well as generally both space, power and module efficient.

(excuse the compression artifacts, I am lazy)

Those aren't optimal or anything, you can come up with better designs, they're just stuff I've built.

Note that running belts directly towards the machine instead of along the side as you usually do makes it much easier to fit beacons on all sides of the assembler. The belts just go underneath the beacon. I generally think this is a little too fiddly to build and takes a little too much space, but if you want max beacons then it's an option.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ikanreed posted:

The answer is nano machines.

They need iron for their structure, and organics from coal, plus trace elements. They handle all the difficult backend stuff.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Clark Nova posted:

assemblers are magic, inserters are magic, free energy conveyor belts are spooky eldritch magic

Belts don't concern me so much. One trivial "driver" node that consumes power and they are pretty much the same as real world belts.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Eschatos posted:

This is a pretty good start for beaconed green circuts, you've got the right idea but you're probably wasting some of the speed beacons that aren't hitting multiple assemblers.

The key to beacons and modules is to first focus on your most expensive consumers. Yes you'll need more green circuits, but green circuits are cheep compared to blue circuits etc. Productivity modules give a flat bonus that is equivalent to the value of the component produced, each free rocket part or blue circut is worth astronomically more than each green that goes into it. Rocket Silo, Labs, and blue circuts are your first major benefit of beacons, followed by high end science packs and green circuits. Green circuits are still pretty high up on the priority list so its not like you're throwing away resources as if you were beaconing steel or bricks.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Personally I like to run stuff directly into my assemblers after doing a few calculations for how many assemblers I need, then mess with trying to move everything into a good spot. For example, my 100 SPM setup looks like this:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

M_Gargantua posted:

The key to beacons and modules is to first focus on your most expensive consumers. Yes you'll need more green circuits, but green circuits are cheep compared to blue circuits etc. Productivity modules give a flat bonus that is equivalent to the value of the component produced, each free rocket part or blue circut is worth astronomically more than each green that goes into it. Rocket Silo, Labs, and blue circuts are your first major benefit of beacons, followed by high end science packs and green circuits. Green circuits are still pretty high up on the priority list so its not like you're throwing away resources as if you were beaconing steel or bricks.

Oh yeah, I kinda took this for granted but this is very important. I've had friends who started out beaconing with their electric furnace setups, figuring that had to be an efficient place to start since everything uses plates!

Beginning at the earliest part of the production chain is indeed the opposite of what you should do: the effect of a production module -- and therefore also the effect of adding speed beacons to it -- is basically proportional to how much total raw resource goes into an assembler each second. A single blue circuit or rocket control unit assembler indirectly consumes much more ore per second than a furnace does directly, so modules on the assembler are equally much more effective. Start at your most expensive non-idling end-of-chain consumers and then work your way down.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Vasudus posted:

I'm in the process now of refactoring everything. Much like every playthrough of a factory game, I had thought I was being logical with my layout and belt placements. Also like every playthrough of a factory game, I was wrong. At least I've got all the science researched and I'm ready to start working on the rocket. Afterwards I'm not quite going for a 1k/science setup, maybe 200/min.

The Spidertron is loving insane. I kitted it out with high explosive rockets, 3x shield generators, 2x lasers, and an exoframe powered by two fusion reactors. Not even sure I need that much juice. But over about 20 minutes time I cleared out every single biter nest on my screen to the point where it'll be about six hours before my pollution triggers another one.

When I first built my Spidertron and took it out for a spin, I wrecked absolute face with rockets and lasers, cleared my perimeter, and when I came back to my base and wanted to put the four personal laser defences back into my own power armor, I noticed I hadn't even put them in the Spidertron's grid.
I was in a bit of disbelief and repeated my quick excursion, and - sure enough - laser defences from your power armor still work when you're in the Spidertron. Since I have six laser defences, five exoskeletons, four Mk.2 batteries and 3 Mk.2 roboports in addition to a fusion reactor in my power armor in the default walking-around setup, I just crammed three exoskeletons, a fusion reactor, and five Mk.2 shields into my Spidertron and went on a murdering spree with absolute impunity.

Surely, this cannot be intentional? Because...it's broken as all hell.

Also, what settings are you playing on, because I I've stopped periodically clearing nests since it's completely pointless. Within 5-10 minutes, there are a couple of new biter outposts within my pollution perimeter, and within another 10-20 or so, there are enough to send continuous attacks my way.
And I didn't change any of the world generation settings outside of making resource fields have higher yield.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Spidertron works the same way as any other vehicle. Your Personal defenses also work in cars and tanks.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Phobeste posted:

Well I can change the upper limit so that meteors drop in random intervals of between 1 minute and [x], so I guess I'll just crank that up to several hours and cross my fingers.

Balsa posted:

and the sheer amount of work to research everything is insane. compared to normal bobs run, you will add another 300 hours just to get somewhere in SE

Research hasn't been too bad but I'm still working on getting off of Nauvis. Those new science packs look like a goddamn handful and a half, though. What is it with this mod and so many constructions requiring 5+ items? The rocket science packs need 7!

I did have my "oh wow" moment when I launched the first modded satellite rocket and got the full overview of the planet (which is much larger and has weird snow and purple biomes now), and the moon (which is 97% water for some reason). I can mostly deal with the complications added by the multiple motors, sand, glass, and etc. I think I actually rather like how the revamped beacons work; requires a different kind of strategic positioning and needs a lot less power to be run to the beacons themselves. The new biomes and planet layout are nifty, the prospect of space station builds is neat, having multiple maps to go to on one save is grand.

But the meteors suck poo poo, the overcomplication of formerly simple assembly lines is a bugbear (why does concrete need IRON STICKS?!), the new constructions pretty much all being 5x5 and larger is really taking the piss (not even worth it to use industrial furnaces because of the size footprint), and one look at the requirements for launching a single cargo pod to attempt the next step of this is already giving me a headache. On the whole I'm getting Galacticraft vibes from this, and not in a good way.

It has made me appreciate just what a fine line of complexity the vanilla game manages to balance, though. If I could just get the tweak this makes to beacon operation as a standalone thing, I think I'd just go with that and chuck the rest of the whole ordeal.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Saraiguma posted:

so I'm messing with LTN on the demo map and I have a simple iron plate setup made and it should work but it's just stalled at the depot, any ideas?

From your screenshot I have no idea what you have tried to do here.

With LTN your trains should have no circuit conditions at all. You give them an initial order to go park at a "Depot" and put them on automatic. They go to the depot and LTN issues all of their instructions from there as needed.

All the magic with LTN happens at the stations and that's where everything gets configured and set up.

Edit: Or are those orders on the train you are showing the ones that were issued by LTN?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

When I first built my Spidertron and took it out for a spin, I wrecked absolute face with rockets and lasers, cleared my perimeter, and when I came back to my base and wanted to put the four personal laser defences back into my own power armor, I noticed I hadn't even put them in the Spidertron's grid.
I was in a bit of disbelief and repeated my quick excursion, and - sure enough - laser defences from your power armor still work when you're in the Spidertron. Since I have six laser defences, five exoskeletons, four Mk.2 batteries and 3 Mk.2 roboports in addition to a fusion reactor in my power armor in the default walking-around setup, I just crammed three exoskeletons, a fusion reactor, and five Mk.2 shields into my Spidertron and went on a murdering spree with absolute impunity.

Surely, this cannot be intentional? Because...it's broken as all hell.

Also, what settings are you playing on, because I I've stopped periodically clearing nests since it's completely pointless. Within 5-10 minutes, there are a couple of new biter outposts within my pollution perimeter, and within another 10-20 or so, there are enough to send continuous attacks my way.
And I didn't change any of the world generation settings outside of making resource fields have higher yield.

I have expansions turned off, but have the other settings turned up pretty high. So I don't have to worry about them encroaching on me too much, but I'm punished for expanding/polluting too quickly without the military might to back it up.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

The Locator posted:

From your screenshot I have no idea what you have tried to do here.

With LTN your trains should have no circuit conditions at all. You give them an initial order to go park at a "Depot" and put them on automatic. They go to the depot and LTN issues all of their instructions from there as needed.

All the magic with LTN happens at the stations and that's where everything gets configured and set up.

Edit: Or are those orders on the train you are showing the ones that were issued by LTN?

That's what LTN autogenerates when I send the train to the depot, is the constant combinator on the receiver and is the pickup and I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Everything is properly signalled and the depot turns blue when there's no orders but when there are orders everything turns yellow (good) then never progresses (bad)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Your LTN inputs and the wiring reading the state of the station are on two separate circuits.

Try using the same wiring color to input on both stations and see if that fixes it.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Buff Hardback posted:

Your LTN inputs and the wiring reading the state of the station are on two separate circuits.

Try using the same wiring color to input on both stations and see if that fixes it.

I tried that and it didn't seem to change anything

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Just to confirm, you also set the depot as a depot using the LTN Depot signal, right?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Buff Hardback posted:

Just to confirm, you also set the depot as a depot using the LTN Depot signal, right?

yep

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

want to throw that version of the save somewhere so i can take a look?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

M_Gargantua posted:

Spidertron works the same way as any other vehicle. Your Personal defenses also work in cars and tanks.

Then I guess I've either been too dense to notice this or not played for too long, drat.

Probably both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Buff Hardback posted:

want to throw that version of the save somewhere so i can take a look?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BiukYBFGOEMpDCj-dkI8KWH95x0rf71p/view?usp=sharing