Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tree fell on truck
Dec 7, 2003

the tree just wanted a hug
Party Membership is a democracy.
One man, One vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To be fair, Baldur's Gate 2 mods will offer pretty much any kind of NPC romance S might hope for. In the male elf romance department alone there's Xan, Kivan, an extraplanar necromancer prince, a winged elf knightly type (he's a ranger with detect evil) who plays hard to get, and a chaotic good drow fighter/mage.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Plus Sarevok. Don't forget Sarevok.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

caleramaen posted:

Sarevok isn't a male elf.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Hope you like it. :unsmith:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

caleramaen posted:

What if Syvishtara kills him?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, Baldur's Gate 2 mods will offer pretty much any kind of NPC romance S might hope for. In the male elf romance department alone there's Xan, Kivan, an extraplanar necromancer prince, a winged elf knightly type (he's a ranger with detect evil) who plays hard to get, and a chaotic good drow fighter/mage.

At the risk of being probated for an emote only reply...

:suicide:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

ETB posted:

Hope you like it. :unsmith:

woohoo! Thanks a lot man :).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fighting Trousers posted:

At the risk of being probated for an emote only reply...

:suicide:

I don't think those five will be that bad - the Avariel guy leaves for good if you kick him out, IIRC. His deal is that you helped him on his mission to Athkatla, and stays to help you in return because of it. Kick him out, and he heads home. The prince guy is by the same writers who did Saerileth, so the chances of goons allowing S to romance him aren't good unless there's a serious degree of bile fascination.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cythereal posted:

Sarevok isn't a male elf.

It's still a terrible idea for a mod. It actually sounds more offensive to me than the Imoen romance mod.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vorgen posted:

soooo... all those in favor of romancing Keldorn if we're still female by then?

Naturally!

Cythereal posted:

The prince guy is by the same writers who did Saerileth, so the chances of goons allowing S to romance him aren't good unless there's a serious degree of bile fascination.

And him too, just because I don't think people will comprehend just how bad it is without seeing it for themselves.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

vilkacis posted:

And him too, just because I don't think people will comprehend just how bad it is without seeing it for themselves.

except for those who have seen Saerileth.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Brainamp posted:

except for those who have seen Saerileth.

Not having seen the prince's mod myself, the only way that the extraplanar necromancer prince romance mod could possibly be worse than the Saerileth mod would be if he really puts both the "necro" and "romancer" in necromancer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fortunately for our mental safety, the Keldorn romance is pretty unlikely to succeed in this thread, given that it apparently takes until ToB to build into an actual "romance." Darian, the Avariel paladin-wannabe, also has a slow-building romance that only completes if you specifically recruit him in Chapter 2 or 3, don't kick him out, and you reach a certain point in the romance before leaving for Brynnlaw. The Sarevok romance is likewise ToB-only.

Perhaps less fortunately, IIRC Solaufien gives no fucks about whether you're in a committed romance or not if you recruit him and starts hitting on you regardless. And I think the first romance option S will run into in BG2, aside from Imoen, is Chloe.

quote:

Not having seen the prince's mod myself, the only way that the extraplanar necromancer prince romance mod could possibly be worse than the Saerileth mod would be if he really puts both the "necro" and "romancer" in necromancer.

Well... if Saerileth is a standard JRPG female lead inserted into a WRPG, then Tsujatha is a standard JRPG male lead inserted into the same. He's from a self-published book or campaign setting, I forget which, that the authors made.

Also in BG2, we'll get to ship our party members if we want. Chloe, Kelsey, and Gavin will all romance Imoen if Charname doesn't take them, and Darian will romance Aerie in ToB if you didn't romance either character. Plus there's at least one mod that adds two NPCs who romance each other.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Jazzimus Prime posted:

extraplanar necromancer prince

And if that isn't a combination of words that screams "I'm a special loving snowflake", I don't know what does.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Were going to be lost in a blizzard of special snowflakes soon enough. But if you guys want to have a non-special snowflake, there is always Hubelpot the vegetable merchant. He's a vegetable merchant, and starts as a level 1 druid in Shadows of Amn. He sells vegetables in Waukeens Promenade.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Vorgen posted:

Were going to be lost in a blizzard of special snowflakes soon enough. But if you guys want to have a non-special snowflake, there is always Hubelpot the vegetable merchant. He's a vegetable merchant, and starts as a level 1 druid in Shadows of Amn. He sells vegetables in Waukeens Promenade.

Is this the vegetable dealer they erected a statue of in Tradesmeet?

(do it)

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
EDITED: I disgust myself sometimes.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Well... if Saerileth is a standard JRPG female lead inserted into a WRPG, then Tsujatha is a standard JRPG male lead inserted into the same. He's from a self-published book or campaign setting, I forget which, that the authors made.

It's more like the unholy offspring of JRPG leads and Twilight characters.

At least that's that's the impression I get based on reports from people who claim to have actually read Twilight.

Vorgen posted:

Hubelpot

He's one of those characters I've heard good things about, but never used because I got so fed up with the engine before I could get around to it. I'd definitely be interested in seeing some of him here in another few years once we actually get to SoA.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vorgen posted:

I helped beta test that mod many years ago, it was actually pretty good. The character himself is terrible, he's a level 1 druid and his stats are all around 8 or 9.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

fong posted:

he's a level 1 druid and his stats are all around 8 or 9.

So....perfect for our party then?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Brainamp posted:

So....perfect for our party then?

+5 Hubelpot

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

fong posted:

I helped beta test that mod many years ago, it was actually pretty good. The character himself is terrible, he's a level 1 druid and his stats are all around 8 or 9.

Yup, having played BWP recently, I can confirm this. I shadow-keeper-ed everyone's stats though so that my part composition isn't decided by char's classes and stats.

Karatehamster
Nov 4, 2009

pokie posted:

Yup, having played BWP recently, I can confirm this. I shadow-keeper-ed everyone's stats though so that my part composition isn't decided by char's classes and stats.

If you pick him up early in the game and them help him along with some of the stat-boosting items you end up finding, he holds his own pretty well IMO. I was happy enough with him to keep him until the beginning of Throne of Bhaal in my latest playthrough, where his script bugged to the point where he became unplayable and I had to dump him for Jaheira.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

I can't remember this version of D&D particularly well but will he need a decent wisdom to even cast spells (wis needed 10 + spell lvl)? Starting out at lvl 1 doesn't seem too bad since he will get crap loads of XP when Vorgen is running about killing demi-liches, ancient vampires, and silly dragons left, right, and center. Although I guess you could keep him around just for shapeshifting?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Anal Papist posted:

I can't remember this version of D&D particularly well but will he need a decent wisdom to even cast spells (wis needed 10 + spell lvl)? Starting out at lvl 1 doesn't seem too bad since he will get crap loads of XP when Vorgen is running about killing demi-liches, ancient vampires, and silly dragons left, right, and center. Although I guess you could keep him around just for shapeshifting?

I think his Wisdom is a bit higher, from memory

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

fong posted:

I think his Wisdom is a bit higher, from memory
And to be fair, the BG games have always played it a bit fast and loose with stats and requirements. Minsc doesn't have the mental stats to be the class he is, let alone use its spellcasting abilities. Coran has a higher dex than is actually possible and is better at using a bow than he should be able to be. Etc, etc, etc.

Character over rules. Nothin' wrong with that.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Ok, here are the final votes:

code:
What should we do with this oversexed thief?

1. Back to the Jovial Juggler	
2. Do her treasure hunt only	.................
3. Taker her on permanently	....................

A. Replace Xan			....
B. Replace Branwen		
C. Replace Imoen		
D. Replace Kivan		
E. Replace Mur'neth		.................................
Looks like Mur'neth is getting Jovialed. I'll start working on the next update now.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

17 Eleint, 1369

Gameplay note: :siren: :siren: This update is rated PG-13 by the Action Text Rating Board. *Action Text Rating Board scrutinizes you* If you find Action Text descriptions of almost-kissing to be disconcerting, please be prepared to skip some paragraphs. :siren: :siren:

I feel a little dubious about this obviously over-sexed woman standing in front of us, but she did mention treasure. I've never found myself to be someone who passes up treasure. So, with some relief, I turn to Mur'neth and ask him to take a break back at the Jovial Juggler for a while longer. I remind him to not eat anyone while he's there. Then I welcome Safana into the party with a warm smile.

She said the treasure was just south of Candlekeep. That means we should head north. I hope this doesn't get us into trouble. We follow the path to the north. We are met with a woman in a gray robe.

Pardon me, but if you do not trouble yourself with the events of the day, what purpose do your star-gazings serve?

What purpose? The Sword Coast is by no means the center of the universe. Lives and dramas are lived out across the Realms. There are lands closer than you would think that neither know nor care about our little problems.

Why, of course the Sword Coast is the centre of the universe. At least for now - because that's where I am. You see, darling, I met this absolutely dashing philospher once, who tried to seduce me with learning. Much of it were silly things, like giving up material wealth for... something; but one was useful. He taught that the only part of the world that exists is the one that rotates around us. I knew it all along, but it was pleasant to see that the sages are finally catching up with me...

I am more interested in what this sage says, though. I kinda miss talking to smart people.

And what of these lands? What intrigues lay beyond our borders?

Well, just across the southern mountains there are troubles brewing in great Amn that will make our current concerns seem small by comparison. To the far north there is a city where winter never rears its ugly head; a city that has not been seen nor heard from for many a year, but will soon welcome the return of a multitude of citizens. Both of these events will unfold regardless of our current troubles. Great may be our concerns, but much more is on the horizon. Leave me be, I have much to think upon.

You don't really believe that, do ya, Syvishtara?

I can say things like that, link it to some mumbo-jumbo about star alignments and other stuff too, you know, and make it sound just vague enough to cover almost any circumstance.

Wait a second here... hmm...

So you see.

Gameplay note: Ladies and gentlemen, Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale II references, here for your amusement. I'm pretty sure Icewind Dale I happened hundreds of years ago right?

I am scared to death, Xan. But I march on, because I must.

That is close to what I feel about the endless chain of our battles. It can break any man, given enough time. Were I alone, I would probably consider closing my eyes and waiting for death to come. But I have a mission, and companions I have sworn to protect.

I fear that soon the unceasing chase we have to endure would get to you, as well. You cannot yet imagine the years upon years of facing deadly perils, of narrowly escaping death at every turn. Eventually, you will be forced either to become a merciless killing machine, or to lose your will to live.

It will not last forever. Once I deal with the Iron Throne, I shall be free to settle down, if I choose to do so.

Perhaps... perhaps, in the future, you indeed may forsake this self-destructive course, and live a long, happy life, as you should.

That sounds strange, given that you've been adventuring... for how long? And you do not intend to settle down anytime soon, do you?

A moonblade wielder cannot escape into quiet and solitude, however they might wish it. Even as I hold the sword in my hand, it judges each and every of my deeds, demanding that I continue to protect my land and my people. I am the champion of the lost cause, summoned forth to fight hopeless battles, left without a choice, and, indeed, without a future. *sigh* I am so tired of facing this side of life, and it alone...

But enough of this. Come, Syvishtara, let us continue on our path of misery.

But even though he acts like he doesn't want to talk about it, not five minutes later Xan speaks up again.

So, what has happened to him?

Cousin Erevain intended to see the world, before joining his family in Retreat. Evidently he traveled as far as Icewind Dale. *sighs*

Retreat?

Your ignorance is disconcerting, but then again, what is not? If you do not learn of Retreat, you are doomed to be the last elf left on Faerun, Syvishtara. Our people are leaving this sorrowful land, and move to the island of Evermeet.

Oh, *that* Retreat! Gorion used to call it Exodus... Never mind that, tell me what happened to Erevain.

*sighs* Elvendom should learn a lesson from Erevain's fate. A group of ragged mercenaries came to the Halfway Inn about fifty years ago. They brought back Erevain's sword and diary. His... his body was found near Kuldahar path...

He has departed for Arvanaith, then...

Do you know naught? An elf who died so far from home, and in a violent way, may never enter the afterlife in Arvanaith. Only a fool can forsake the elven immortality for an adventure.

Which, coincidentally, makes us both into fools, friend Xan. Admit it, mellonamin, you do like the life of an adventure, despite your gloomy demeanor.

*Xan looks at you worriedly and walks away, fumbling a healing potion, for some reason.*

But he comes back a few minutes later. :siren: :siren:

*Xan approaches you, twirling a brush in his hands and looking strangely hesitant.* Syvishtara, do you have anything against extra magical protection? I have some experience with magical wards, and I do believe they will help against your enemies, if applied on your skin properly.

Interesting. Let's try it.

*For a second, the color drains off Xan's face, but then he composes himself. You allow him to steer you away from the group, where you settle down, with him sitting in front of you. Xan frowns, looking at the brush, and under his gaze, it flashes blue, yellow, and finally, pitch black. He shakes away the clinging drops and slowly draws his hand towards your collarbone.*

*The touch of the brush is light and soft, though it stings your skin, ever so slightly, with whatever magical components are added to the paint. It glides along your collarbone in slow, delicate and rhythmical strokes, following some mysterious pattern. You cannot see what it is, but Xan obviously does, for his eyes are transfixed on the image, his lips are slightly parted, and you have not heard his breathing for quite some time, which might be only partially due to his artistic inspiration.*

*The tip of the brush moves down again, tracing a line to your cleavage, and you feel Xan's fingers burning hot through the brush. The movements of his hand become slower and gentler, until they resemble caresses, not brush strokes, and your own breathing suddenly seems heavier.*

*Whether your reaction is too much for him, or he is truly done with the patterns around your neckline, but Xan withdraws the brush, and the next moment, his other hand gently tilts your head upwards, as he starts to work on your neck once again. However, he only makes the situation worse, as his left arm now lies on the nape of your neck, supporting you, and his face is bent over yours.*

Gameplay note: I think it's important to show which choices I'm presented with here, and to remind you that the thread voted to have Syvishtar(a), as chaotic neutral, try to screw everything that moves.

*You wrap your hands around his shoulders and kiss him on the lips.*

*Before you are able to say or do anything, Xan sharply shakes his head.* Do not move. The wards are not yet complete; it can be dangerous.

Gameplay note: I guess... we didn't kiss him then? Retroactive action text gets really confusing really fast.

*Xan quickly picks the brush from his lap and resumes his work. However, this time his movements are swift and sharp, and his face betrays nothing but calm concentration. The wonderful feeling of being the center of his universe is gone; he is pensive and gloomy, his fingers are cold, and his lips are tightly closed.*

*Soon, his work is complete. He sighs, helping you up.* Syvishtara, I was a fool to have suggested it in the first place. When magic and emotions collide, it is a disaster waiting to happen, and we have taken enough risks already. My... loss of concentration could cost you your life, were the circumstances different. I shall not endeavour it again.

Gameplay note: There is also no change to my stats. I think this qualifies Xan as a ward-tease.

We pull ourselves together, go back to the group, and we are patrolling in short order again. I hear some dogs through the forest, and Kivan rushes out to tame one.

Kivan takes out one worg, and Xan takes out the other.

The two dogs are done in by Imoen. Hardly a fight at all. We get back to work.

*An almost empty water-skin hangs on her side. Branwen shakes it energetically, and topples it over her generously open mouth. The contents pour between her eager lips, but a single drop traces a line down her jaw and stops, sparkling tantalizingly, at the nape of her neck.*

I'm still a little hot and bothered because of Xan, and kinda mad too. I want to make him jealous.

*lick it off*

*laughs* By Tempus, you are thirsty!

Xan doesn't react.

We head north and eventully come to some cliffs overlooking the sea.

I think I can see Candlekeep far to the north! I gaze at it for a while, then turn away wistfully. I can never go home. I lead my companions across the cliffs, where we eventually find... hobgoblins?

Kivan takes one out even before I cast my first spell.

I feel pretty proud of myself when I'm able to take out the second one just after I finish casting.

The elite hobgoblin never even had a chance.

And neither did the other one.

The rest of the battle is a slaughter barely worth mentioning. The gulls cry out their glee at our victory. When it is over, and Kivan has cleaned up the mess, Imoen pipes up. I turn to her out of habit but she isn't speaking to me.

I suppose. The lady whom I had an appointment with is fashionably late. I wonder what keeps her?

Erm? Anyone I know?

We all will be introduced to her very soon. The name is Death.

None of us should be seeing her for a while, hopefully. Yea, I know you're a big grump and all, but I got the perfect thing to cure you of your continuous depressive mood.

*sighs*

That's what you think. Anyway, wanna hear 'bout my idea?

I have seen your like before. If I say: "No", which is my uttermost desire, you shall ask: "Why?", and you shall continue pestering me until my very end. I would love to spend my last moments in peace, so spit it out and remember that brevity is-

Great! Now listen, cuz I know you'll be glad when this works, and you can let everyone know it was Imoen who cured you.

Here it is: I'm going to dress you in all bright colors, especially in a lot of pink. We can even dye your hair pink if that'll help, paint your fingernails pink, anything to get you over this "life's not worth living" attitude!

*looks at Imoen's bright cheerful smile dubiously* I doubt that will work. All it will do is waste your time, money and effort you could better spend preparing for our eventual demise.

That's what you think! Just you wait. I know it'll make you all perky and cheerful, just like me!

*aside* Pesky and earful, more like...

I hope he lets her do it. Xan could use some cheering up. I decide to lead us back down the cliff face, and at the bottom is a pack of worgs. We attack. They attack. Everybody attack-tacks.

Kivan kills 1 and Xan kills 3. The battle is nothing to write home about.

Branwen says she sees something dangerous on the beach - many women standing about with bows. I'm a little leery of that kind of situation, so I send Kivan in to investigate.

He sees that the beach is full of sirines. Don't they charm people? It seems quite dangerous to go down there. Kivan continues up the coast, though, and I don't stop him. I can't even see him to talk to him anyways.

Wait! I seek no battle. What do you mean 'murder and trespass'?

You lie and feign ignorance. My sisters have seen you with the murderers from the ship and the tower.

They came here looking for treasures and worthless baubles. I have told them and I tell you now; there is no treasure here but the wind, sand, and sea. Begone from our home!

If you want, I can pass on your warning. They are more kin to me than to you, and may heed my words when they scorn yours.

Many are the lies your kind spins, but this one last time I will believe. Make the land-thieves leave, and you will have pleased I, Sil, the Queen of these beaches and surf.

To please me is to please my sisters. Our wrath will be stayed for the meantime. Go.

On the way back, Kivan checks to make sure the sirines on the beach are no longer angry. They seem to be fine. He comes back and tells us everything. We decide that Sil must be talking about the guy in the lighthouse, so we go back to give him her message.

I met a sirine named Sil, and she told me all about you.

You spoke with Sil, did you? Ha. She's been a thorn in my side ever since we set up our operation here.

And what, pray tell, did she have to say? As if the word of an evil monster could be trusted. Ha!

She told me you're looking for treasure, and that you've killed a number of her kin. Explain that away.

If you're trying to outsmart me into giving a confession, you've failed. Innocent men tell no lies, and when I say my business here is legitimate, I speak the truth. Now, if you don't mind, I have better things to do than speak with people who accuse me of being a criminal.

There's the door. See yourself to it.

But I don't want to give up this easily. I open my mouth to say more.

TO ME! WE ARE ATTACKED!

Kind of nasty of him to say he is being attacked before he attacks us, but his comrades appear from behind the screen nevertheless.

I have no patience for this, so I cast Rhialto's Holy Missiles at the one that looks like a mage. He drops.

Kivan is the one to kill that stupid old man.

One of the now-obviously-pirates jumps out of the shadows to stab Xan in the back, but she fails. I suck the life out of her in retaliation.

Branwen takes out the next one with her hammer.

The close quarters have caused Kivan to switch to his spear. I can tell because I see little flashes of flame when he hits someone. Right next to him, Xan cuts down the assassin-pirate that attacked him.

Kivan manages to burn the next one to death with his Spear of Fire.

And Imoen brings her own share of the pain by taking out the last one. The room is ours.

There is a lot of junk on the bodies, and also a Studded Leather Armor +1. I give it to Safana.

We leave to go tell Sil that the pirates are dead. But when we arrive it is night, and she is not there. We decide to camp out on the beach to wait for her to return. As we make camp, Kivan strikes up a conversation with Safana. Apparently she had been telling him stories out of earshot?

My windows opened up on the cliff wall, with a sheer drop of eighty feet. A waterfall was weeping at my fate, and I was nearly going mad, listening to its sorrow. There was a moment when I stood on the windowsill and thought of taking my own life.

And in that crucial moment you had one of those brilliant ideas which saved your life and the life of your lovers on numerous occasions.

That's exactly what happened! Know what I did?

I suspect that you pulled a few strings of silk from your flatteringly revealing gown, braided them together and strangled the seven-foot-tall eunuch with it, when he came ot escort you to the Pasha.

However did you know? Anyway, then I took the eunuch's sword and shield and fought my way through the guards, and finally it was only Pasha Uzef who stood in my way.

And he was a fearsome swordsman, and his eyes shone as two coals.

Oh yes. It's almost as though you were there. We had been inflicting blows on each other to no avail for a long time, and then he dropped his sword at my feet and knelt. "Lady Safana," he told me, "my love for you is too strong for me to live without your favor."

"Where is your dagger, my lady? I beg you to pierce my heart and end my suffering!"

Ed' i'ear ar'elenea! By the sea and stars! Safana, you waste your talents. Were you a bard, people would pay dearly to listen to your tales.

Wow, Kivan almost seems to not be sad. She really is good. We get everything ready and bed down for the night.

In the morning,

Mmmph... what?

Thank... thank Corellon... you... you are alive. I had a very disturbing vision last night, a... a vision about you. You were so close... and then you dissolved into dust before my very eyes. I woke to find you lying pale with your eyes closed, and I thought the worst.

Sometimes my dreams are akin to yours. I hear a ghastly voice whispering "You will learn!" and wake up drenched in sweat.

If your nightmares are indeed the source of your eerie powers, they might give you the key to who you are. However, this way is too drastic and damaging. I do not know which is worse, shrinking from this path or embracing it.

But I can help, albeit a little. Erecting a mental shield against your nightmares is beyond my current skill, but you may share my reverie from now on, if you want. Perhaps it will stop our dark visions. Or perhaps it will doom us together. Do you accept?

Yes, I do. Thank you, Xan.

Yes... I hope it will not happen again. My heart nearly stopped this morning... but enough of this. Let us go.

Share our reverie every night? Doesn't this mean we have to sleep together? Welll, if it will stop the nightmares... ok. I go to talk to the sirine.

Not yet, Sil. Give me time.

Time is not mine to give. Make haste before the fickle sea winds change.

I realize that we didn't check the back room, or the cellar, or other places where pirates might hide out. I guess we can't just lie to her now can we? We make our way back to the lighthouse. When we enter, we find more pirates. Didn't we kill these guys already?

The battle lines shift quickly, and the mage pirate looks like he's getting into position for something nasty. As he begins casting, Imoen shuts him down with some Magic Missles.

Around the same time, the assassin pirate jumps out of the shadows and into Imoen's face, but misses her backstab. Kivan puts her down.

Branwen gets hit twice mere seconds apart, and doesn't look so good.

I throw her a healing potion. Kivan manages to kill another pirate.

I kill the next one with my staff!

Imoen takes out the last of them.

*Xan makes a motion to take your hand, but instead his fingers slowly slide along your wrist, leaving your skin to tingle and shiver.*

But going back into the back room only shows us a well-stocked pantry.

A quick check of the lighthouse reveals nothing.

With no more pirates left to fight, I have no choice but to return to Sil again. On the way over there, Branwen looks at me in one of THOSE ways.

*She smiles at you, a strangely shy smile for a loud and outspoken battle priestess.* I have come to enjoy your company. Thank you for letting me travel with you.

Then, of course, it is time to approach the sirine.

The pirates will trouble you no more. I was forced to kill them.

We expected as much, and feel no loss at their deaths. Our waves are now free, and you shall be duly rewarded. Go north. There lies the cave the invaders were seeking. Take from it what you will, but beware the guardians.

Gameplay note: we get 750 xp from that. Nice.

Guardians? We will have to be careful, true. We do go north, and we do find a cave.

We just go in. How tough could the guardians be, anyways?

Kivan seems to be the best at sneaking around these days, so I send him in first. He comes back with a report of Flesh Golems.

Those are the things Thalantyr uses to guard his tower! Can we really take them? Hmm, only one way to find out. Kivan chooses his best arrow, the Arrow +2, and fires it at the flesh golem from hiding.

Nothing happens. Uh oh.

In a panic, we rush in to attack, and spring a trap!

Nevertheless, we mob it. Xan, Imoen, and I all get in solid hits. And finally, it falls to my staff.

Since this is her specialty, we send Safana in first, to check for traps. She doesn't really find any right away.

Between two evils I always choose the one I haven't tried.

She does actually find a trap after navigating the narrow walkways.

She disarms the trap, and then lets us know.

When I'm good I'm very very good, but when I'm bad I'm better.

She also comes running back, saying that she awoke another flesh golem.

Xan takes out this one, with a little magical help from Branwen.

Gameplay note: These suckers are 1000 xp a pop. I should kill them all!

Safana goes back and loots the treasure, which seems like a pretty big haul. Imoen follows her to help carry things and keep an eye on her. She asks Imoen a question then.

Sure you can work with us any time.

You've made the right decision boys, but now we should talk about the leadership of this group, I think it needs overhauling.

Oh no she didn't! That bitch! I try to focus on the treasure, but I'm still seething in indignation. The treasure is pretty big, actually. First there are potions. 3 Antidotes, 1 Elixir of Health, and 1 Potion of Adsorption we have seen before. But the 1 potion of Infravision and 3 Potions of Major Healing we have not.

Then there is the equipment. There is a normal Ninja-to and a mithril ring, but there are also magical items: two rings, two cloaks, 3 darts, and a book. We decide that killing the remaining flesh golems is the highest priority, then identifying the items.

We mob the next golem. Branwen springs a trap, but doesn't even care.

I manage to heal her, and then let my staff get the killing blow.

Then we hunker down in one of the caverns and get ready to seriously study this treasure. The first cloak we identify is Morridin's Cloak.

This would be good for Rose, if we had her in the party. We'll have to keep it on the mule for her.

The second cloak is a Cloak of the Wolf. Wow, this looks like real fun!

Werewolves are supposed to be incredibly powerful and dangerous to anyone. Since Safana is completely useless in combat, I think I'll give this to her. Then she can finally take off her sheep's clothing.

The third thing we find, is a book. A manual actually. A Manual of Bodily Health.

Out of all the party that needs this, Xan, with his 7 constitution, could benefit from it the most.

I give it to him and tell him to read it cover to cover.

Then we try to sleep for the night, so that we can identify more items in the morning. But in the night, we are awakened by a thudding of heavy footfalls.

The heavy footfalls do some damage to Xan.

Xan moves back out of melee, and Branwen turns to heal him. Imoen saves the day with the final deathblow.

We emerge out into a bright, clean, bird-singing day, and Xan asks a question.

We will go to Arvandor, I suppose. I know little about it, however.

Arvandor... We carry a piece of paradise within our souls, always. But will it be heaven for me, when I bring my turmoil into this sacred place? Ah, but I will not. While you may find yourself entering your afterlife unhindered, I will linger behind for centuries to come.

Why is that?

That's my pride and my curse. Are you familiar with the history of the moonblades? No, I do not suppose you are.

The sword I wield has a cruel tale to tell. It has originally been forged to choose a royal family, but now it is only a symbol, albeit an important one. The blade is thousands of years old, and it has passed through many hands, eventually ending up in mine. The previous owners are not simply dead, but their spirits are trapped within the moonblade, a terrible price to pay for using its abilities. Only when the blade's magic is no more are they allowed to travel to Arvandor. A similar fate awaits me in the end.

That's terrible! I am sorry, Xan.

As am I. There is no point on musing over it, however. What will come will come.

Sometimes I wonder what would have become of me, if I had never come by the blade. Perhaps my miseries started on the day I had acquired it. But that is a story for another time. Let us continue, Syvishtara, while we still can.

We sleep another 8 hours, and then Finch's glasses work again. The first ring is a Ring of Fire Resistance. That goes to Xan.

The second ring is a Traveler's Ring.

If we had a bard, perhaps we could figure out what the ring did. I'm guessing it is something related to speed, though. It must be.

You know what? I like this beach. I want to stay here for a bit longer. The sirines definitely know their beaches.

Gameplay note: Hey, does anybody know the difference between Arvanaith and Arvandor? Earlier Xan was moaning about his uncle Erevain dying in Kuldahar and not being able to enter Arvanaith, but later on he talks about himself being unable to enter Arvandor because his soul will be trapped in the moonblade. Can anyone clarify?

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 13, 2012

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Wait, so... Branwen's and Xan's romances interact... ?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vorgen posted:

A city where Winter Never comes?
Oh, I know! It's Icewind Dale! :downs:
Well done.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^^ In partial defence, IWD2 features the city of Kuldahar which has the same magical-warming shtick, although yeah, when phrased like that it's definitely talking of Neverwinter.

Vorgen posted:

Gameplay note: Hey, does anybody know the difference between Arvanaith and Arvandor? Earlier Xan was moaning about his uncle Erevain dying in Kuldahar and not being able to enter Arvanaith, but later on he talks about himself being unable to enter Arvandor because his soul will be trapped in the moonblade. Can anyone clarify?
They're the same place, but it's called Arvanaith as the elven afterlife, Arvandor as the home of the elven gods.

I'm a bit rusty on 2nd ed. D&D mechanics, but was Xan really the best beneficiary of that tome? The biggest advantage of a high Constitution is extra HP, but those don't kick in until you're past 10 anyway.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 29, 2012

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Ahhrraahhhh! You used the +1 constitution item on Xan! Why would you do that? It should be made easier to kill him not harder.

Seriously, the game ends when the main character dies so he/she should get it and if not that you have fighter characters that could get regeneration.

Xan better get dyed pink at some point, just to make up for this.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

NihilCredo posted:

I'm a bit rusty on 2nd ed. D&D mechanics, but was Xan really the best beneficiary of that tome? The biggest advantage of a high Constitution is extra HP, but those don't kick in until you're past 10 anyway.

Yeah, you get no benefit from con until 15. Non-fighter classes only get +1 HP/level at 15 and +2 HP/level at 16+; fighters keep getting bonuses until 24 con (+7).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

NihilCredo posted:

^^^^ In partial defence, IWD2 features the city of Kuldahar which has the same magical-warming shtick, although yeah, when phrased like that it's definitely talking of Neverwinter.

They're the same place, but it's called Arvanaith as the elven afterlife, Arvandor as the home of the elven gods.

2nd edition is way wonkier than that. Xan had 7 constitution previously. 7-14 constitution give a +0 bonus to hit points. Unless his Con had been 6 or less or 14 or greater using this item on him would be useless. The only thing that might mitigate this is that there might be some mod which makes the stats use 3rd edition values. If that is the case, than this did help Xan a little, albeit only after he levels up.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Does Con affect anything else in 2nd ed.? Saving throws, that kind of thing?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

NihilCredo posted:

Does Con affect anything else in 2nd ed.? Saving throws, that kind of thing?

I think saving throws are dependent on level and class in 2nd edition. I don't think there is a stat component.

Pangolin Poetry
Jan 1, 2008
no, you definitely get bonuses to saves from stats. save vs. spells, for examples, gets buffed by having a WIS of 15

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Vorgen posted:

Here it is: I'm going to dress you in all bright colors, especially in a lot of pink. We can even dye your hair pink if that'll help, paint your fingernails pink, anything to get you over this "life's not worth living" attitude!

Now you have to do this :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I want it noted that not everyone wanted Xan.

• Locked thread