Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you can just quit the game to pause though. it saves the state you care about, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What song are they using in the trailer? I've been searching for it back when I first heard it in Generations for the 3DS, but I could never find it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgRLwVYd6QM

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I have heard you can not pause in dark souls? It's on consoles now that have home buttons, can you just press those?

i used to think the home button on the ps4 worked like a secret pause button but then i had to try it during a boss fight in bloodborne and came back double dead

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How did Nintendo suddenly become the favored platform for perverts

https://twitter.com/xseedgames/status/1050920336219430914?s=21

https://twitter.com/mearathedigger/status/1050922798632378368?s=21

https://twitter.com/kolma/status/1050922055221346304?s=21

https://twitter.com/kingbabyduckesh/status/1050929937660678144?s=21

https://twitter.com/datfurryraccoon/status/1050926548931342336?s=21

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 13, 2018

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/xseedgames/status/1050920336219430914

its a portable console

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/xseedgames/status/1050920336219430914

Where are you getting anything about the Switch from that?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Knorth posted:

I think Alwa's might be the same price actually, but it's good, I'm enjoying it a lot! It's tricky, some of the jumps are pretty precise but it's not obnoxious about it and it's not a game about upgrading your attacks and weapons so far at least so every critter you see can be lethal if you're not careful. All the animations are really charming too. Just a good as heck NES-like adventure

Chip-tune or whatever doesn't generally do that much for me but the music has been really nice so far, this intro area track is ridiculously catchy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XU9tKwiojA

I’ve also been enjoying it myself. It’s a bit short and can be challenging, but it’s a nice puzzle-platformer and has an assist mode to remove tedium if you want. Bosses are mostly about memorizing patterns and picking your opportunities to strike, especially early om when you’re stuck with a short melee attack, but it’s satisfying when you finally get it down and pull off the win. It’s also interesting how the game incentivizes exploration, as finding the blue orbs results in dealing free hits to the bosses before each boss battle.

If the gameplay seems at all appealing based on that, I definitely recommend it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Serenade posted:

its a portable console

:eyepop:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s a dockable handheld!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

This actually has a specific answer. The Switch exclusive Senran Kagura game is nothing but touching the Senran Kagura characters. So presumably a mainline Senran Kagura game with a touching minigame would have no problem being released on the Switch. Also the Senran Kagura series started on the 3DS, so there's probably some Senran Kagura fans who want mainline titles back on Nintendo handhelds.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is smash gonna have those real character outfits for the miis like the last one

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Super No Vacancy posted:

is smash gonna have those real character outfits for the miis like the last one

We don’t know yet.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should imo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Mega64 posted:

It’s a dockable handheld!

I'll dock your handheld

gently caress I'm obsessed with monster hunter. That's all I've played the last month or so

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So it turns out Tricky Towers is the Tetris game I've wanted since forever.

Alan_Shore posted:

They've released the Kairosoft games on the Switch I see! Dungeon Village and Game Dev. Good fun games, but absolutely mobile phone games and not worth £9

I was dumbfounded by that. Like, they didn't even improve the art quality??

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

It's the new Vita, OP

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ineffiable posted:

Kicks you to the main menu if you suspend.

I think the game is still running in the background if you go to home button to look at other stuff.

That just really sounds like a ton of bullshit. I just want to play a single player game and pause like a normal person. It sounds like it just doesn't respect my time or the fact that the player may have life interruptions

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The fact that you can just quit to menu and start up from exactly where your player was standing means that in almost all cases having no pause isn't a big deal.

The one annoying part is if you're fighting a boss since that's the only time that quitting out doesn't put you right back where you were (it puts you outside the boss arena instead).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That is not and never will be a substitute for a pause button, what the gently caress are you thinking

You think I'm going to quit and reload my save whenever I want to take a sip of water or read the text I just got?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

RandomFerret posted:

That is not and never will be a substitute for a pause button, what the gently caress are you thinking

You think I'm going to quit and reload my save whenever I want to take a sip of water or read the text I just got?

Home button.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Two Beans posted:

Home button.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

You're not in such constant danger that you can't just stand there for a moment to do something like that. I'm talking about when you need to get up and do something for a bit.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

If you play twewy with joycons you can turn on coop mode and control one character per joycon. It's hard to do both at once, which approximates the original pretty well imo, but it wasn't meant for this so it feels dumb. The joycons have to be detached though so it doesn't work in handheld mode.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have heard you can not pause in dark souls? It's on consoles now that have home buttons, can you just press those?

Seriously? Not a deal-breaker or anything but that's' pretty stupid, even if they try to make it up by saving where you are.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

That just really sounds like a ton of bullshit. I just want to play a single player game and pause like a normal person. It sounds like it just doesn't respect my time or the fact that the player may have life interruptions

Its dark souls

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

they're persistently online games so you can't pause for the same reason you can't during a match of splatoon

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Motto posted:

they're persistently online games so you can't pause for the same reason you can't during a match of splatoon

Oh yeah fair enough. You can play offline though right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but there's no separate online/offline mode so it works the same way.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Glad to see the Switch thread will soon get access to Dark Souls arguments too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The lack of pause is pretty much just so you can't pause and think about the danger you are in, or try to manipulate it to fix mistakes. Like if you are going to go into the menu and change weapons, enemies are not going to wait for you.

However there are tons of spots in the game were you are in no danger and there is no issues with taking a break there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's always nuts when I see speed runners quick switch equipment in the middle of a boss fight or whatever, I've beaten the games multiple times but never come close to being comfortable enough to do that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The recent clueless dark souls posts in this thread kinda further cement my suspicions that some people who are primarily Nintendo gamers are a decade behind the curve.
I don't know how you can be the sort of person who posts on a games thread on a forum like SA and not have had some sort of idea how dark souls works. It came out nearly a decade ago!

Haha I just realised he Dark Souls messaging system will be more robust than the Switch's messaging system :qq:

I can't wait to play it again though and if people in the thread wanna co-op I am down for that 😎

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gooigi

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1050930343228846081

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The plot reasons to justify why Gooigi is a thing are weird/interesting.

Like, usually they'd just treat it as a game mechanic separate to the deep lore entirely, but no, they actually added a tiny bit of relevance to the 2p mode.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Goowser
King Goo
Goo Bones
Chain Goo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

someone out there is already drawing gooigette and god bless them

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

someone out there is already drawing gooigette and god bless them

a yes, the big tiddy gooth gf

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

a yes, the big tiddy gooth gf

haha 'gooth' sounds like you're trying to say goof with a lisp