Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

There was nothing important in your post.

Harsh but probably fair. I still think claiming that comparing anything to Advance Wars is going to be "this generation's 'it's like FTL!'" is at least as dumb as my post though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its like ftl with no spaceships and grids

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The advance wars comparison is dumb though. Grid and pixels, that's all they share in common. AW was about armies and superpowers, not countering known quantities. It's more like an against-the-deck board game, such as the Legendary games.

Boiling Advance Wars down to "armies and superpowers" completely ignores what you actually do with them, though. AW was absolutely about countering known quantities in the campaign, and the strategy was similarly based around denying enemy actions. The scope in ITB is much smaller and the strategy has more of a puzzle element with the foresight and movement abilities, but drawing parallels between the gameplay of the two isn't misleading at all.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

I may well be going against popular belief here, but Into the Breach is pretty good.

I think it's worth trying out even for some of the people who bounced off of FTL.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Boiling Advance Wars down to "armies and superpowers" completely ignores what you actually do with them, though. AW was absolutely about countering known quantities in the campaign, and the strategy was similarly based around denying enemy actions. The scope in ITB is much smaller and the strategy has more of a puzzle element with the foresight and movement abilities, but drawing parallels between the gameplay of the two isn't misleading at all.

I know genres are dead and all, but I don't think this type of thing is any better.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh apparently in Cities: Skylines, digging a sewage pit instead of draining into a water source will inevitably cause it to overflow and drown your entire city in poo

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So uh apparently in Cities: Skylines, digging a sewage pit instead of draining into a water source will inevitably cause it to overflow and drown your entire city in poo

Did you expect it to be some sort of infinite hole?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

I know genres are dead and all, but I don't think this type of thing is any better.

It was a useful comparison to me, that helped me get an idea of what the game was like before I looked into it more. There isn't really a name for small scale grid based strategy games without the FFT-esque RPG elements, but Advance Wars is a pretty recognisable comparison that instantly made me think of moving units around a grid. I don't really get why some people hate the comparison so much, especially when the devs mentioned it as an influence.

quote:

Once they'd settled on that basic idea, dropping in monsters and mechs "felt quite natural," as they began to draw from personal favorites like XCOM, Hoplite, Advance Wars, Front Mission, Armored Core, and Desktop Dungeons.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Into The Breach is the Citizen Kane of Advance Wars clones

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant believe they went so far as to call the game Advance Wars: Kaiju Chess

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

il_cornuto posted:

Can I get a couple of quick recommendations for £5 or less games for someone who likes Hexcells, Quell, Mini Metro and Hidden Folks? She's also really into Darkest Dungeon recently, but that is by far the most complex game she's played.

I can't link it right now, but Freeways

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I haven't played that game in ages, but I think there's actually a way to dam it up and harness the poo as a source of energy?

e: https://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/discussions/0/1318836262656618010/ lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Whatever drat genre it is Into the Breach is cool and good

It makes me feel like Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius

for all the good and ill that portends :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

still an improvement on the working title of Into the Unknown's Breachlegrounds

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

flesh dance posted:

I haven't played that game in ages, but I think there's actually a way to dam it up and harness the poo as a source of energy?

Yeah, if you have a sufficient water source, it can be used as hydro power.

Filthy filthy hydro power.

But basically your water comes from somewhere, it has to go somewhere when you're done with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I actually made it to the third island's boss! :toot:

Then my mech ran headlong into a 4 damage attack while low on health and so the death spiral began.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Too Shy Guy posted:

Does it completely ignore anything? You never just mash armies at eachother and hope things go right, you have to counter. Scale and scope are the core factors you should compare games on the same genre on - Into the Breach is far closer to the modern XCOM games in gameplay, scope and scale. You have units with distinct classes rather than a force-level power. You lack the ability to recruit new forces in combat, unlike Advance Wars. The biggest difference is simply that actions are certain and not percentage based, except for the grid defence mechanic, and that enemy actions are declared during the player's turn.

Honestly, gameplay wise titles like Close Combat are much closer points of comparison than Advance Wars. The Advance Wars comparison is just easier due to its aesthetic similarities and nothing else. Making such comparisons can be misleading and most importantly, it's utterly meaningless. It's the Dark Souls of tactics games anyway.

il_cornuto posted:

It was a useful comparison to me, that helped me get an idea of what the game was like before I looked into it more. There isn't really a name for small scale grid based strategy games without the FFT-esque RPG elements, but Advance Wars is a pretty recognisable comparison that instantly made me think of moving units around a grid. I don't really get why some people hate the comparison so much, especially when the devs mentioned it as an influence.

Yeah, it's a graphical influence. Small scale grid based tactics game, also an influence on that list? XCOM. But again, this is pointless.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I actually made it to the third island's boss! :toot:

Then my mech ran headlong into a 4 damage attack while low on health and so the death spiral began.

I lost a pilot on the first boss because oh hey mobs can do more than one damage huh :saddowns:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I don't really think this game has much in common with FTL, either, for what it's worth. The aesthetic is about it. If you bounced off FTL, this game feels a good bit more forgiving on the standard difficulty. I'm still waiting to see if it's got a similar degree of out of left field wtfery at the end of game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Toadsmash posted:

I don't really think this game has much in common with FTL, either, for what it's worth. The aesthetic is about it. If you bounced off FTL, this game feels a good bit more forgiving on the standard difficulty. I'm still waiting to see if it's got a similar degree of out of left field wtfery at the end of game.

The endgame is thankfully more of the same as the normal game. I'd even say it's easier than the normal gameplay, but your mileage may vary.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
ItB is good, and FTL was good. There's a very similar feeling framework of picking your next battle, picking up the currency and meting out fuel to power up your mechs.

It's also quite a bit more forgiving than FTL.

Honestly how do you not like FTL?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 28, 2018

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Really happy to hear it's a bit better tuned.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

ItB is good, and FTL was good. There's a very similar feeling framework of picking your next battle, picking up the currency and meting out fuel to power up your mechs.

I adore FTL but the final boss is such a tremendous motherfucker that I wouldn't blame anyone for souring on the game just from that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

FTL is a really good core gameplay loop completely undermined by being a roguelike and having a lovely final boss. And random encounters you have to look up on a wiki to be optimal instead of just telling the player the odds after the first time they run into the same one).

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

DatonKallandor posted:

FTL is a really good core gameplay loop completely undermined by being a roguelike and having a lovely final boss. And random encounters you have to look up on a wiki to be optimal instead of just telling the player the odds after the first time they run into the same one).

You can also just play the game and be pissed every time your guy dies from giant alien spiders

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

I adore FTL but the final boss is such a tremendous motherfucker that I wouldn't blame anyone for souring on the game just from that.

Me hello this is me. I bounced hard off FTL first from hearsay then from seeing it for myself how stupid that finale was. So far so good on this though, but no grand final boss yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

This is clearly the kind of game that benefits from tunes, podcast or video in another monitor though :v:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think the final boss is an integral part of the intended experience of FTL (for better or worse, it definitely makes the game less enjoyable to many). This is an issue if you want the game to conform to your expectations (especially if your interest in spaceship games is more towards the open-ended, like Starsector or something) as opposed to playing the game on its own terms. The final boss is meant to be challenging, and it's for that very fact that it feels meaningful to win. My recollection of some Oregon Trail-type games was that they just peter out at the end, with no denouement other than seeing how many points you ended with.

The flagship has 3 forms and a lot of raw strength + dangerous powers, so if you're just fleeing through the last couple of sectors it's going to be very rough. On the other hand, if you have a strong enough build you can generally get by with brute force (getting to this state more likely if you have the extra scrap rewards from Easy). In the usual situation that's somewhere in the middle you basically have to have enough foreknowledge of what you can do to neuter or mitigate the really dangerous bits. Figuring out that kind of stuff is admittedly a static puzzle, which can be painful if you're approaching it through trial and error in a game where runs can take a few hours. Nobody likes losing, but the fact that you can and will lose if you're not adequately prepared is what gives the fight weight.

The flagship adds some real stakes to the rest of the gameplay. Every little piece of scrap you can wring out of a sector or encounter is just that much more you'll have invested into something that you can use in Sector 8, even if it's something marginal like an extra power slot in oxygen so that it doesn't go out in a single hit. I think that certain aspects of the flagship fight could be altered without losing this sense of stakes, but it would still need to be hard enough that some players would still write it off as BS.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 28, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I think it's a core mechanic (and used overall very, very similarly) in that Gemini: Heroes Reborn game that's sort of a spiritual successor to Psi-Ops.

Apparently I'm a huge grump or something though because I thought TF2's campaign was thoroughly...okay. Maybe even Alright if I'm being generous.

you are definitely a grump

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The only bad part of the TF2 campaign is the fight with Viper, everything else was real good.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This looks like it could be really neat, and is apparently coming to PC so please don't mind all the Playstation logo nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwMlDBz94U

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Battletech is up for preorder and releases next month. Looks pretty slick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HereJw4XP4

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

man nurse posted:

I’m gonna buy chrono trigger when I get home and you cannot stop me

man nurse, sit down. Do you know why we're here today?

man nurse, your friends are here because they care about you, because they're concerned about the direction you're headed, and they want to help you.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

me, one hour into swap mode in puyo puyo tetris : wow i am bad at puyo puyo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Knorth posted:

This looks like it could be really neat, and is apparently coming to PC so please don't mind all the Playstation logo nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwMlDBz94U

I dunno what this is even about but language puzzles! Pretty music! It looks neat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just look at this tanky mobile rear end in a top hat and weep for how much he carried me

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Into The Breach doesn’t have FTL’s endgame issues, if that’s giving you pause. No mandatory obstacles that certain builds can’t deal with.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Synthbuttrange posted:

http://theearthdefenseforce.wikia.com/wiki/Global_Defense_Force_Tactics

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Pigbuster posted:

Into The Breach doesn’t have FTL’s endgame issues, if that’s giving you pause. No mandatory obstacles that certain builds can’t deal with.

this is great news.

I love FTL but holy cow I'm bad at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Wow it looks like everyone is Chrono Triggered about this port.