Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

AcidCat posted:

I've been enjoying Fringe, it's a fun show especially because of John Noble's performance as Walter. I've also enjoyed seeing who the next random guest star will be, so far Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Jared Harris, a pre-duchess Meghan Markle, and in the episode I just watched last night our favorite Ginger Jedi young Cameron Monaghan.

It's one of my favorite shows of the last 20 years. It's certainly not without its flaws, but it captures that sweet spot between serialized and monster of the week stories perfectly, the cast is delightful, and there's this earnestness to the writing and performances that you can just tell everybody was having a ton of fun on the show. It'll always be a classic for me, even if the last season kind of went to hell.

Rest in peace, Lance Reddick. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Fringe rules. I'm so glad I finally gave it a try.

I just finished Mrs. Davis on Peacock. I had my doubts in the middle of the season but it actually wrapped up OK. It's got a unique absurdist feel, like somewhere between a PG-13 version of American Gods and Dirk Gently with maybe a sprinkle of Russian Dolls. Betty Gilpin (Debbie from G.L.O.W) has to do a lot of heavy lifting but I think she pulls it off. There were a couple of reveals that hit really well I'm thinking about how the initial scene from Ep. 1 featuring the Holy Grail turns out to be an unaired Super Bowl commercial – get it... "super bowl", – and the AI Mrs. Davis starting out as a Buffalo Wild Wings app. I kept hoping it would have subtle deeper insight into tech and religion but by the end it kind of lays all its cards on the table. Pretty decent ending though, and I'd say worth the watch but I'm not sure it will make my top 10.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm watching Salvation which is also fun because of John Noble. But I swear his accent changes in every episode. He's gone from vaguely sounding Eastern European to upper class English and now Welsh.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
All this Fringe talk makes me think I need to finally give it a go.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Fringe took most of what I liked about X-Files, removed everything I disliked, and gave it warmth and heart and stakes and comic booky stuff that just rules.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Fringe took most of what I liked about X-Files, removed everything I disliked, and gave it warmth and heart and stakes and comic booky stuff that just rules.

Yeah my recollection of X-files is that the mysteries were sometimes unresolved or they couldn’t rule out the more mundane explanations while Fringe almost always gave you the goods and double-so for whatever hairbrained thing Bishop would construct.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Yeah my recollection of X-files is that the mysteries were sometimes unresolved or they couldn’t rule out the more mundane explanations while Fringe almost always gave you the goods and double-so for whatever hairbrained thing Bishop would construct.

I dunno. Some of the best episodes of the X-Files were the ones where it turned out it was just a hungry gator or a dude who lost his marbles.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Me and my girlfriend are giving The Stand remake another shot after bailing out after episode 1 when it first released. We are in episode 2. I dunno what I really think about it because I feel like I'm still being introduced to the world.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Me and my girlfriend are giving The Stand remake another shot after bailing out after episode 1 when it first released. We are in episode 2. I dunno what I really think about it because I feel like I'm still being introduced to the world.

It's fun and the sets are wild.

Feels like every year or so Paramount goes balls out on the set design and casting for some show no one is ever going to watch, and the Stand was one of those things (their current Grease show is another). They're just fun to watch on a pure spectacle level, but the villains -- when they turn up -- were also really enjoyable to watch purely on a performance level.

The show's a bit dumb, but eh, had fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watch Roundup:

The Watchful Eye: FUN trash that genuinely kept me guessing the entire time. Pretty twisty, slightly more NY Gothic take on the Only Murders In The Building formula, complete with sudden spooky lightning storms, secret passages, weird architecture, mad women in the attic, etc. but it's also, as a friend pointed out, a Spy Noir except starring a babysitter who blunders her way into a viperous conflict within an old New York incest family.

For me, two things made it stand out above the usual thriller: it's surprisingly well plotted, rarely flagging throughout the ten episode run, and the main character is allowed to be surprisingly unlikable AND proactive about it. I really liked her in spite of herself, she's a good character.

Classic Canadian casting (so, IMO, solid to good) but with the very reliable Amy Acker and Kelly Bishop rounding out the cast with some strong performances. Recommended if you're into this kind of US Summer thriller.

Slasher (Season 5): less good than the previous three seasons, but mostly because they seem to have redirected their gore budget into other spaces for this season. (Slasher's pleasures as a series are that it's basically Scream but with really heavy gore and decent plotting.) There's also some wibbles early on when it seems like the show is trying to be less predictable, but instead sort of comes across as unfocused. It nails it in the back half though, with a strong finale that's one of the few shows to carry through with its class warfare themes.

Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies: Maybe this would have worked for me if I liked Grease much, but this is so loving Grease-y. It's also incredibly overproduced, characters can't just sing their soulful "I want" song into the camera, they need to develop musical telekinesis and start flinging themselves all over the school corridor while singing the literal words "I Want" into camera. This is on every loving level; they seem to have exclusively cast dancers as their extras and they all move around the school in deliberately overproduced choreography that draws attention to itself, and it's just so very loving exhausting. Also the plots are generic and the songs suck. Gave up after two episodes.

Up Here: Much better musical, which reminded me of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend -- both in its focus on not-really young, slightly lovely people doing musical cringe comedy romance, with a frank take on loving, but also in its sense of humour. Which is great, and doesn't do that (American?) thing where gags need to be underlined, and undermined, by a straight man character who just reinforces how absurd the thing you just saw was. There's a gag early on about an oven that just killed me because everyone's just escalating the entire time, rather than one character saying dumb poo poo like "there's a rat! in your oven! you know how bad that is!?"

For a high concept musical, the series weirdly doesn't do very much with its central gimmick. Like, supposedly the two leads are vaguely special for having a chorus of inner voices that dog their every move, literalised by each having three actors following them around and intrusively breaking into song. But they're surprisingly underutilised. Not a bad thing, just odd.

There also isn't a huge breadth to the songs here, but they're nice and well produced, and the leads -- Carlos Valdes and Mae Witman -- have great chemistry. Valdes in particular was a huge revelation for me, The Flash loving wasted the dude. But Witman and Katie Finneran are both excellent -- particularly Finneran in her two roles.

Primo: Sweet and funny. Made me laugh, which is all I ask from this kind of sitcom, but I also thought the characters were decent and likable. Of course it's on FreeVee so it probably won't be renewed (High School! :shakesfist:)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Primo is so good, one of my favourite new sitcoms in a while. You can really see the Mike Schur influences at times, and not just because he’s snuck at least one Infinite Jest reference in there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Primo is so good, one of my favourite new sitcoms in a while. You can really see the Mike Schur influences at times, and not just because he’s snuck at least one Infinite Jest reference in there.

Eight episodes is too short for these kinds of sitcoms. They barely have time to give every character a focus episode and then bomb season over, and most of the characters never get a chance to have anything like arcs or whatever.

Not a mark against the show, but shows with large casts, light tones and short episodes don't survive on eight episodes like this. British comedies mostly get by in virtue of smaller cases and darker themes. (And a far less crowded landscape, Black Books would vanish without a trace in current year.)

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Hughmoris posted:

Really good show. Especially considering it was on a network.

I don't listen to the Smartless podcast, but I watched the first episode of Smartless: On The Road because I like all these guys (Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Sean Hayes). It's good and pretty charming. Think it would be better if it were more authentic. Lots of times it feels kind of scripted.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I just got through Citadel on Amazon. I gave it a chance because the Russo Brothers were producers on it, but I should have taken The Grey Man on Netflix as a warning.

This show is fine if you want a hollow, shlocky spy action thriller to turn your brain off and watch things go boom. But it relies way too heavily on flashbacks and the story is overly convoluted to the point of being parody. For such an expensive show, it looks like a mid-budget network procedural at times.

Long story short, this show was like someone decided to make a serious take on the paintball episodes from Community.

I have my doubt that's the "spyverse" will take off. But the show ends with a teaser for a 2024 series that will continue it. Citadel: Diana, which also looks super formulaic and riffing off better titles that's already done all this before.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Fringe rules. I'm so glad I finally gave it a try.

I just finished Mrs. Davis on Peacock. I had my doubts in the middle of the season but it actually wrapped up OK. It's got a unique absurdist feel, like somewhere between a PG-13 version of American Gods and Dirk Gently with maybe a sprinkle of Russian Dolls. Betty Gilpin (Debbie from G.L.O.W) has to do a lot of heavy lifting but I think she pulls it off. There were a couple of reveals that hit really well I'm thinking about how the initial scene from Ep. 1 featuring the Holy Grail turns out to be an unaired Super Bowl commercial – get it... "super bowl", – and the AI Mrs. Davis starting out as a Buffalo Wild Wings app. I kept hoping it would have subtle deeper insight into tech and religion but by the end it kind of lays all its cards on the table. Pretty decent ending though, and I'd say worth the watch but I'm not sure it will make my top 10.

Fairly amusing but ultimately forgettable seems to be the gist of it for Mrs Davis. It firmly stays in its lane throughout, always opting for quirky over clever and silly over funny and never getting caught in cringe or delving deeper in any of its major themes than required by its plot, which, like a well performed magic trick, is a dazzling execution of a few very straightforward ideas. I watched it two episodes at a time which felt like a good rythm for not getting too bored with gimmicks and still wanting to find out what happens next. I hope it leads to more work for Betty Gilpin because she really shines in this.

e: Primo is really good. Grounded, uncomplicated, light-hearted, wholesome, fun. I could watch it all day, every day.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 29, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Now that Barry and Succession are over... RIP

I found a show called Gryphon on Prime. It has subtitles, but it is ok so far. Fantasy, magic, in modern times.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I knew that The North Water was AMC riffing on their success with The Terror. I did not know it was also an erotic thriller.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I knew that The North Water was AMC riffing on their success with The Terror. I did not know it was also an erotic thriller.

Does anyone hang dong?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Watching black spot on Netflix. Another twin peaks lite that could stand to be more twin peaksy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Does anyone hang dong?

Not so much so far, about halfway in, but you see Farrel's hairy arsecrack. And it's Andrew Haigh so it's all shot well and the performances are really strong. I'd say it's actually better looking than The Terror, believe it or not.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Just started watching The Other Two and I’m really digging it. Odd mix of whimsy and wit. I don’t think it really needs any of the more emotional beats it tries to hit though. They’re falling a bit flat to me, but not enough to really detract from the show in general.

Also Ken Marino is in it so I’m pretty much stuck watching every episode of it. Don’t know what it is about the projects he picks but even at their worst they’re juuuuuust good enough to keep me watching. Or outright great with Party Down.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Robobot posted:

Just started watching The Other Two and I’m really digging it. Odd mix of whimsy and wit. I don’t think it really needs any of the more emotional beats it tries to hit though. They’re falling a bit flat to me, but not enough to really detract from the show in general.

Also Ken Marino is in it so I’m pretty much stuck watching every episode of it. Don’t know what it is about the projects he picks but even at their worst they’re juuuuuust good enough to keep me watching. Or outright great with Party Down.

Season 3 is firing from all cylinders and is going all in with the magical realism. The most recent episode is about capitalist pinkwashing on the fence and it's literally about the company Disney.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

Season 3 is firing from all cylinders and is going all in with the magical realism. The most recent episode is about capitalist pinkwashing on the fence and it's literally about the company Disney.

It's bonkers. There's been a couple of episodes that one article I read properly referred to as Looney Tunes, not generically, but as literally cartoon-like. The episode where being in "the business" literally impacts who she can and can't see was brilliant, with a couple of sight gags almost worthy of the invisible car from Atlanta.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It's bonkers. There's been a couple of episodes that one article I read properly referred to as Looney Tunes, not generically, but as literally cartoon-like. The episode where being in "the business" literally impacts who she can and can't see was brilliant, with a couple of sight gags almost worthy of the invisible car from Atlanta.

I was a huge fan of going off script Pleasantville. "That judge is at the very bottom of IMDB."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Both of those eps are so loving good lol

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
The Watchful Eye is very bingeable: I had to pry myself away from it every night to go to bed after a couple of episodes. It's fun but not camp, which is surprising with the supernatural stuff getting mixed in, and always builds its reveals around showing a bigger picture without falling into the unreliable narrator trap, or trying to outsmart its audience. Just an entertaining watch, overall. Sadly, I was thinking it'd wrap up neatly at the end but it's more like early Lost in promising answers next time, and I cannot see that ending well.

Barry was mad. I don't know how they kept up this type of quality over the series, given that so many shows poo poo the bed at some point. The production, the visuals, the storytelling, it's all still amazing and I keep asking: who knew Bill Hader had this in him? I mean, sure , the guy is chums with the President of Hollywood so I guess he got the best people for the job, but still: what an achievement! I can now only hope that we will get a spin off in a few years called "Lilly".

Marvelous Mrs Maisel is another show that recently wrapped up its final series. A musical fairytale with great actors and production values, its main character was merely a device, mostly, to show slices of past lives, and it's had a lot of filler over the years, even from the start, and this final series is no different. It's art over matter, dresses and set pieces to complement a talent for showmanship but also to hide that there is very little going on behind the curtain, it is much more of the same repeated over and over again until, finally, it stops. Its initial premise of being frank about hardships was only a foil for a lot of glossy theatrics and it never went back on that.

Having watched these last two series of these last to shows I will say: I loving hate timeskips and I hope it is not a fad and if it is, I hope it dies a horrible loving death real quick.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

The Watchful Eye is very bingeable: I had to pry myself away from it every night to go to bed after a couple of episodes. It's fun but not camp, which is surprising with the supernatural stuff getting mixed in, and always builds its reveals around showing a bigger picture without falling into the unreliable narrator trap, or trying to outsmart its audience. Just an entertaining watch, overall. Sadly, I was thinking it'd wrap up neatly at the end but it's more like early Lost in promising answers next time, and I cannot see that ending well.

Mad. Yeah I agree, this show was heaps fun. Hopefully it gets renewed.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I'm not sure what television reviewers were watching, because I thought 'White House Plumbers' was excellent. 67% positive seems far too low.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I wasn’t into it. Didn’t find it especially funny or well-told. Theroux was incredible, though.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

Eh, I wasn’t into it. Didn’t find it especially funny or well-told. Theroux was incredible, though.

It was worth it for Theroux's portrayal of Gordon Liddy alone. But I thought the whole series was well done. I really liked it a lot.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

i couldnt get through the first episode, didn't like woody harrelson's performance though i usually support actors going HAM and chewing scenery. the scowl he puts on just makes it look like his character is trying to force out a giant poo poo the entire time, and the weird gruff voice didn't help.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I went in expecting Veep but Watergate and what it actually was never clicked with me.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

I was a huge fan of going off script Pleasantville. "That judge is at the very bottom of IMDB."

It was incredible. They need some Emmy love. And just the idea of a courtroom drama whose entire conceit is that its star lawyer constantly gets overruled is so goddamned ridiculous and I laughed like an idiot every single time it happened. Dana Delany was amazing too, but she always is.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It was incredible. They need some Emmy love. And just the idea of a courtroom drama whose entire conceit is that its star lawyer constantly gets overruled is so goddamned ridiculous and I laughed like an idiot every single time it happened. Dana Delany was amazing too, but she always is.

The final punchline completely recontextualizing the whole plot was the cherry on top.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I wasn't feeling the third season up until this episode.....which I thought was great.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I have been watching Mrs. Davis and have a couple episodes left. I can't decide if it is smart and clever or dumb and random, but Betty Gilpin is really good in it, and I like the guy who plays J.

Also, the actor who plays Wiley sometimes looks shockingly like Tom Cruise, but that's not really relevant to anything.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Baskets has gone from "laugh at the sad sack wannabe clown" to "I really hope this guy gets help" and that's a neat journey. Zach G is great but Louie Anderson as Christine just continues to be one of the best and most real characters going. RIP king.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Ishamael posted:

I have been watching Mrs. Davis and have a couple episodes left. I can't decide if it is smart and clever or dumb and random

After 3 episodes I settled on dumb and random and dropped it, but ymmv, I know there were several folks in the dedicated thread that really liked it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It can be multiple things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its definetly both

I found it pretty fun overall but the whole Jesus thing is very dumb and maybe even unnecessary (I think it adds very little to the history), but funny anyway

edit: and the whole related holy grail origin story too, though Shohreh Aghdashloo has the virgin Mary was awesome

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 6, 2023