Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

cant cook creole bream posted:

After being thoroughly impressed by how season 3 is going, I decided to go through The Other Two again.
The first two seasons are good and had some great moments, but season 3 is a remarkable leap in quality.

Yeah I've been loving this season (yesterday's ep included). I'm glad they leaned so heavily into surrealism, it's working pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

koolkal posted:

Yeah I've been loving this season (yesterday's ep included). I'm glad they leaned so heavily into surrealism, it's working pretty well

There's some stuff in there which is quite fun even if it's not surreal.
"What a loser.
I hate Chase Dreams.
He sucks.
Loser.
Loser.
Chase Dreams sucks.
rear end in a top hat.
Loser.
Sucks."
"And that's just one comment."

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Law According to Lidia Poet on Netflix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erBj7WBvP1Q&t=5s

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm also two episodes into the new The Full Monty series. I haven't seen the movie for at least 20 years and my recollection of it being that, although the characters are all going through struggles it's a very funny movie with a) funny parts and b) feel-good parts with the underdogs working together. Soooo... so far there's not a lot of that in the series, which picks up 25 years after the movie with the same cast. The town still sucks, and everyone's life still kinda sucks. It's not completely absent humor but it feels like a light drama. I definitely wouldn't give it a strong recommendation at this point.

I'm guessing it's a double skip if you can't even recognize a single person in the original movie? Is the original even worth watching at this point?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I only half know the original but is it still about them stripping at all or no? I'm not sure if its weirder if it is or it isn't.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Annabel Pee posted:

I only half know the original but is it still about them stripping at all or no? I'm not sure if its weirder if it is or it isn't.

Not so far in the series. The two main venues are a decaying school and an old farts cafe with money trouble. So there could be fundraising later in the series but 2 ep in they haven’t hinted at that at all.

The original is pretty good so I wouldn’t dismiss it based on this.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
PSA: checking my list of shows I was following I've found out that Lockwood & Co, Britannia and Avenue 5 have been cancelled.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Meatgrinder posted:

PSA: checking my list of shows I was following I've found out that Lockwood & Co, Britannia and Avenue 5 have been cancelled.

Too bad about Avenue 5. I was pretty so-so about the first season.....but the second season turned out really good. Zach Woods should be in more stuff.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’m couldn’t get into Avenue 5 but I watched all of both seasons. There was usually one or two real good laughs an episode, which is pretty good for most comedies these days.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The Avenue 5 airlock scene was one of the best scenes of 2020.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Our Planet season 2 on Netflix: more of this, please. The nature shows on Netflix have been pretty good. Shame this is only 4 episodes though.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
So I've gotten MGM+ as an addon to Prime, thanks to whoever suggested that. I'm liking From a lot, although I'm kind of dreading whatever ending they give us eventually. Thank Lost for that. It's a really exciting, properly spooky show though, so I'm enjoying it for now.

Then when browsing MGM+, I noticed a War of the Worlds series. It's was made by Fox, not the US Fox but the international studio I guess. It stars Gabriel Byrne, it had 3 seasons, so I figured, sure, why not! And I'm just torn. The first season is, hands down, excellent. The second season, most of it, is good too. But then they introduce a twist: the aliens are actually human. Hmm, okay sure, there have been sci-fi stories like this before, I'll allow it. And then the second twist: the teen Emily, who was blind, and now can see is actually the "Eve" to these aliens, with the "Adam" being the horrible French kid Sasha. Toward the end of the second season, they get sent off in a space ship, which caused all of this to happen and I just don't really know how to feel about it.

I'm about half-way through the 3rd season, and Gabriel Byrne's character has used the formulas and a stolen alien ship to do what he thought was go back in time, but it's an alternate universe. Maybe? The series itself can't seem to decide whether they're talking about time travel or alternate dimensions. I'm not to the very end, so maybe it'll all tie back up together at the end but my brain hurts with how much they're talking about quantum physics and Hawking radiation and time travel or alternate dimensions and I missed when it was just humans vs. aliens. I think they probably bit off more than they could chew. Like I said, I'd highly recommend the first season, but after that, the train goes careening off the tracks and I don't even know how to feel about it.

raven77 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 19, 2023

sad question
May 30, 2020

Shame about Britannia.Weird but rad show. Coolest portrayal of druids around.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

sad question posted:

Shame about Britannia.Weird but rad show. Coolest portrayal of druids around.

And Romans, honestly. I wish they'd gotten a final series to wrap things up.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

raven77 posted:

So I've gotten MGM+ as an addon to Prime, thanks to whoever suggested that. I'm liking From a lot, although I'm kind of dreading whatever ending they give us eventually. Thank Lost for that. It's a really exciting, properly spooky show though, so I'm enjoying it for now.

Then when browsing MGM+, I noticed a War of the Worlds series. It's was made by Fox, not the US Fox but the international studio I guess. It stars Gabriel Byrne, it had 3 seasons, so I figured, sure, why not! And I'm just torn. The first season is, hands down, excellent. The second season, most of it, is good too. But then they introduce a twist: the aliens are actually human. Hmm, okay sure, there have been sci-fi stories like this before, I'll allow it. And then the second twist: the teen Emily, who was blind, and now can see is actually the "Eve" to these aliens, with the "Adam" being the horrible French kid Sasha. Toward the end of the second season, they get sent off in a space ship, which caused all of this to happen and I just don't really know how to feel about it.

I'm about half-way through the 3rd season, and Gabriel Byrne's character has used the formulas and a stolen alien ship to do what he thought was go back in time, but it's an alternate universe. Maybe? The series itself can't seem to decide whether they're talking about time travel or alternate dimensions. I'm not to the very end, so maybe it'll all tie back up together at the end but my brain hurts with how much they're talking about quantum physics and Hawking radiation and time travel or alternate dimensions and I missed when it was just humans vs. aliens. I think they probably bit off more than they could chew. Like I said, I'd highly recommend the first season, but after that, the train goes careening off the tracks and I don't even know how to feel about it.

From I do enjoy, but it is good to go in with limited expectations. I think it suffers from inconsistent acting and uninspired writing at times. I do think it benefits from binge watching (I binge watched all of season 2 so far last week), because watching it weekly could be frustrating. It does have a strong Stephen King influence (even more than Lost did) and it pushes the creepy horror which I really like. I guess my overall take is the premise is greater than the execution at times, but it such a good premise it is well worth watching.

I did give War of Worlds a watch and really enjoyed most of the first season. That said season 2 and the way it handled the younger characters (especially Sasha), turned the show into a misery watch for me. I never even started season 3 due to my frustration with season 2.

Speaking of King and MGM+, I did enjoy Chapelwaite a lot. Very loosely based on King's short story Jerusalem's Lot, which is a prequel to Salem's Lot. Perpetual Grace LTD is a great show (got cancelled after one season tho) on MGM+ too.

Has anyone checked out Joe Pickett on MGM+? I love Michael Dorman and I have been tempted to give it a spin.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 20, 2023

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I don't know if I updated since starting Yellowjackets season 2 but hooo boy this one goes places.

I gotta give it up to the music supervisor for getting some great period-accurate needle drops, the casting continues to be a strength as Then Misty and Now Misty are so much alike and the mystery box design of the show isn't quite at Lost levels of insane so it's keeping me well fed, so to speak

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

The last series of Never Have I Ever was just as charming and light-hearted as the previous ones, though it was occasionally clutching at straws to fill its run up to the finale. It also felt like they couldn't book some of the actors in the supporting roles, as a lot of them appear very briefly or not at all. The narrator gimmick never got old for me, and apart from the penultimate episode which felt rally stretched too thin, I enjoyed watching it.

American Born Chinese is pretty nice. Sure, it's just another Journey to the West, but so far I really like the actors and the duality of Chinese legend and US reality. Sadly the Taiwanese character got disneyfied into a Chinese character, but it's no secret how much The House of Mouse kowtows to parts of its Asian market, so something like that was to be expected.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I don't know if I updated since starting Yellowjackets season 2 but hooo boy this one goes places.

I gotta give it up to the music supervisor for getting some great period-accurate needle drops, the casting continues to be a strength as Then Misty and Now Misty are so much alike and the mystery box design of the show isn't quite at Lost levels of insane so it's keeping me well fed, so to speak

I wasn't that much a fan of season 2 (it did get better towards the end), but the music was great. The last episode killed it with the God is Alive Magic Is Alive and Street Spirit drops. I hope in season 3 they move beyond some of the current storylines, which are by far the weakest part of the show.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

nate fisher posted:

I wasn't that much a fan of season 2 (it did get better towards the end), but the music was great. The last episode killed it with the God is Alive Magic Is Alive and Street Spirit drops. I hope in season 3 they move beyond some of the current storylines, which are by far the weakest part of the show.

Yeah the 90s plot has always been the more interesting and important, it's the real meat of the show (pun intended).

Getting the adult cast in one location will hopefully move the present day stuff forward and I like that it looks like they're getting suckered in by Lottie again 25 years later. Hopefully this parallel continues

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Went though Schitt's Creek.
Cute series. The mother just completely sucked all the way through. I did not like that character and not even in a way which is appealing to watch. The rest of the cast were lovely.
Honestly, it felt a little bit too saccharine. There were rarely any actual conflicts without a handy solution. Also I can't help thinking that their lives in 2020 might not turn out as well as the ending implies.
And I was a bit irritated whenever the show kept acting as if Stevie (Emily Hampshire) was some tomboy with no sense of style or appearances, rather than distractingly beautiful. The standards for beauty are really weird on such shows sometimes. Kim's Convenience was similar in that way.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 22, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Got through the first 2 seasons of Ted lasso. The first was fun and upbeat and the second got pretty serious. Looking forward to starting the third season but honestly gently caress Nate. I don’t even understand how he felt cast aside by Ted and Beard unless he’s specifically talking about how Roy came in and coached.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Congratulations on never having issues with self-esteem and insecurity and father figures

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm also two episodes into the new The Full Monty series. I haven't seen the movie for at least 20 years and my recollection of it being that, although the characters are all going through struggles it's a very funny movie with a) funny parts and b) feel-good parts with the underdogs working together. Soooo... so far there's not a lot of that in the series, which picks up 25 years after the movie with the same cast. The town still sucks, and everyone's life still kinda sucks. It's not completely absent humor but it feels like a light drama. I definitely wouldn't give it a strong recommendation at this point.

I finished this and my opinion improved by the end. The first couple of episodes were kind of a jumble trying to introduce/reintroduce every character, but by mid-season each episode was focusing pretty hard on just a couple of characters. Also, by then I had reset my expectation for the tone of the series so I could appreciate it as an often melancholy story rather than missing the humor. It almost avoided blatant call-backs to the movie, and I kind of wished they had tried a little harder. we do get a bit of dancing from the old crew, but it's as a ludicrous distraction during a hostage situation sandwiched between a failed suicide attempt and a heart attack... there's also some ham-handed flashbacks during a memorial service . There were some other misses for me the billionaire pigeon enthusiast was just kind of wtf, and whatever 'found family' themes with the restaraunteur couple didn't really land for me, and the Kurdish woman was fine but felt way too much 'saintly minority character helps white dude feel good about himself as he learns not to be a dick... and I'm not sure if I feel happy or disappointed that Dave and Jeannie didn't end up with the weird little kid from school .

Definitely not a perfect show but it's got enough I don't regret watching it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Escobarbarian posted:

Congratulations on never having issues with self-esteem and insecurity and father figures

Oh Jesus gently caress man.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Went though Schitt's Creek.
Cute series. The mother just completely sucked all the way through. I did not like that character and not even in a way which is appealing to watch. The rest of the cast were lovely.
Honestly, it felt a little bit too saccharine. There were rarely any actual conflicts without a handy solution. Also I can't help thinking that their lives in 2020 might not turn out as well as the ending implies.
And I was a bit irritated whenever the show kept acting as if Stevie (Emily Hampshire) was some tomboy with no sense of style or appearances, rather than distractingly beautiful. The standards for beauty are really weird on such shows sometimes. Kim's Convenience was similar in that way.

Haha pandemic would've been the perfect season opener to set them back a few squares. Agreed it's too saccharine at times, but still enjoyable in the end.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

How anyone can not love Moira Rose is completely beyond me. Catherine O'Hara basically invented a brand new dialect for that character.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Schitt's Creek is usually a little untethered to reality by virtue of being overly loving nice, buoyantly so, but there's a moment in the sixth season premier where daddy Rose looks at Moira and he has this look of, like, "holy poo poo, she's not just eccentric, she's severely mentally ill and I'm gonna have to manage her for the rest of our lives". That's stuck with me more than anything else on the show.

Love Moira, show's great, and there's a surprising amount of depth to the cast despite how unrealistically nice and frictionless the world is.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

nate fisher posted:

From I do enjoy, but it is good to go in with limited expectations. I think it suffers from inconsistent acting and uninspired writing at times. I do think it benefits from binge watching (I binge watched all of season 2 so far last week), because watching it weekly could be frustrating. It does have a strong Stephen King influence (even more than Lost did) and it pushes the creepy horror which I really like. I guess my overall take is the premise is greater than the execution at times, but it such a good premise it is well worth watching.

I did give War of Worlds a watch and really enjoyed most of the first season. That said season 2 and the way it handled the younger characters (especially Sasha), turned the show into a misery watch for me. I never even started season 3 due to my frustration with season 2.

Speaking of King and MGM+, I did enjoy Chapelwaite a lot. Very loosely based on King's short story Jerusalem's Lot, which is a prequel to Salem's Lot. Perpetual Grace LTD is a great show (got cancelled after one season tho) on MGM+ too.

Has anyone checked out Joe Pickett on MGM+? I love Michael Dorman and I have been tempted to give it a spin.

I agree with you about From. I just wonder if they're ever going to tell us what's up with the monsters or just leave it at "paranormal town". If that's the only explanation we get, I'm okay with it though. I agree, the premise makes it worth watching.

If anyone ever watches the War of the Worlds series, the first season was excellent. Just watch that and pretend it ended there, because I agree, their handling of the teens, especially Sasha was wtf and the twists were just too much.

Thanks for the recommendation on Chapelwaite, I'll watch it next!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Haha pandemic would've been the perfect season opener to set them back a few squares.
Just think about it for a few seconds with regards to where everyone ended up and what that implies.

*Alexis is some kind of event or talent manager in New York. (Honestly, not sure, what exactly she's up to.)
*Moira is filming a hospital soap.
*David went all in on a store. And it's not the kind of place which could switch to online service. Plus, he just bought a house.
*Twyla just bought the dinner place.
*The others are setting up a large scale motel chain!

Yeah, all of them are doomed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm finally getting around to checking out Yellowjackets, and man the blurbs and summaries I've seen so far have really sold it short. Somehow they always gave me the impression it would just be a fairly grounded plain "surviving against the elements" kind of deal. They really should have led with the teenage cannibal cult angle. :v:

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Watched two horror-type shows which is normally not my kind of thing but they were rated very highly and life, friends, is boring so:

The Devil's Hour is a British show about a woman who may or may not be schizophrenic (which seems to be a commonly recurring gimmick for reality shifting female leads, eg Undone, Search Party) who works for a child protection agency but gets caught up in a murder investigation. What little tension there is, is derived from people being really, really stupid and, predictably, the show writes itself into a corner and has to rely on a cop-out to achieve some sort of resolution. Despite this, the cast is really good - especially the Zuckerberg boy - and it is a very enjoyable watch that'll keep you entertained to the very end.

Katla is an Icelandic show about a mostly abandoned village near an erupting volcano where people show up who shouldn't be able to show up. An extremely, and often excrutiatingly slow watch, the slightly Lovecraftian premise delivers zero tension since none of the characters seem to have any motivation to communicate with each-other or work towards any type of resolution, whatsoever. The cast is really good, but I can't tell you how much I have wanted to punch a couple of these characters in the loving face throughout the 8 episodes. Still, the show sticks to its guns to the very end and rightfully so: its big reveal isn't so much where the invaders come from and what threat they pose, but how everyone is somehow emotionally damaged, socially inept, an insufferable rear end in a top hat, completely deluded or downright evil.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Perestroika posted:

I'm finally getting around to checking out Yellowjackets, and man the blurbs and summaries I've seen so far have really sold it short. Somehow they always gave me the impression it would just be a fairly grounded plain "surviving against the elements" kind of deal. They really should have led with the teenage cannibal cult angle. :v:

That's funny because it was the opposite for me, everyone I talked to lead with the other bit. The real selling point for me is the modern day cast

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Meatgrinder posted:

Katla is an Icelandic show about a mostly abandoned village near an erupting volcano where people show up who shouldn't be able to show up. An extremely, and often excrutiatingly slow watch, the slightly Lovecraftian premise delivers zero tension since none of the characters seem to have any motivation to communicate with each-other or work towards any type of resolution, whatsoever. The cast is really good, but I can't tell you how much I have wanted to punch a couple of these characters in the loving face throughout the 8 episodes. Still, the show sticks to its guns to the very end and rightfully so: its big reveal isn't so much where the invaders come from and what threat they pose, but how everyone is somehow emotionally damaged, socially inept, an insufferable rear end in a top hat, completely deluded or downright evil.

Agreed, as much as I disliked the show for not being what I wanted it to be, I respect them sticking to that theme how even the greatest miracle cannot fix these broken people.
Also that black sand beach is apparently notorious for huge waves coming out of nowhere and dragging people into the sea and certain death. There is no land between there and Antarctica and that gives small waves a chance to get big and mean. The lead actress also makes classy jazz-pop as GDRN to get out of the down mood the series gives you.

I've started Bloodhounds, a South Korean show about a young amateur boxer getting dragged into the world of loan sharks. He as to deal with an evil loan shark and a good one who lends to people in need and only sends muscle to beat up the ones who lie about their plight.
Fight scenes are well made and brutal and so far it's compelling. The seemingly simple business of loan sharking is revealed to be quite intricate and complex and it uses the COVID-19 setting very effectively. It's also got the little girl from The Man From Nowhere as the right hand woman of the good loan shark.

edit: Apparently Kim Sae-Ron had a DUI crash into some power infrastructure last year causing a local blackout and a lot of her role got cut out as a result.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 25, 2023

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched two horror-type shows which is normally not my kind of thing but they were rated very highly and life, friends, is boring so:

Now check out the first season or two of Glitch (the Australian one, not the Korean one) for a fun compare/contrast exercise of two different-ish shows with an almost identical premise. The Australian one an easier watch, much less moody. I lost steam in the 3rd season but the show starts off pretty good.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Speaking of horror, I have to talk about Siberia which I've been enjoying far too much despite how B-tier it is/feels. It is a fake reality show set in a forest in Russia where contestants start to die mysteriously. I honestly don't know how much to reveal for fear of spoilers, but it's a one season show, I'm halfway and I still have no idea what the hell is lurking in the forest outside of the survivors' camp. I've never watched reality TV so I wonder if I'm enjoying the crappy interpersonal drama in a horror setting, or if the creators somehow managed to add a touch of campy to create something that's more than the sum of its parts.

But please: is it possible for once to create horror movies whose symbolism isn't "perhaps the true horror was humanity all along"? 99% of media falls in this cliché, I feel anything that masterfully avoids this pitfall should just be classed as a new genre.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo the Christmas flashback episode of the new season of the Bear is unbelievable.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Holy poo poo the Christmas flashback episode of the new season of the Bear is unbelievable.

ugh holy moly this episode FLOORED me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was phenomenal. The next episode is almost as good, for very different reasons.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Escobarbarian posted:

It was phenomenal. The next episode is almost as good, for very different reasons.

The two episodes counter balanced each other in the stress department.

How many Emmy/golden globe winners were sitting around that table in the Christmas flashback? The best episode of TV I've watched im a long time.

It should get its own thread if it doesn't already have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pretty sure the rule is person who suggests that is obligated to make it