Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Wait,does accuracy work differently in crossfire? I'm pretty sure JA2 has a 0-100 scale for accuracy and I see all the weapons have around 4-5 accuracy for you,even the rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

The Road Crew posted:

...will you be getting AIM/M.E.R.C. people in too? I have to say that seeing Fiona put on the same team with Sheila "Scope" Sterling would be delightful.

Yeah, I'll start hiring in mercs once the money starts flowing, which should be within the next few updates. I love Scope, but in Wildfire I'm pretty sure she's actually a mid-game MERC hire, rather than being available right away from AIM, so if we want to see her, we'll need to spend some money on people like Biff and Haywire.

Capilarean posted:

Wait,does accuracy work differently in crossfire? I'm pretty sure JA2 has a 0-100 scale for accuracy and I see all the weapons have around 4-5 accuracy for you,even the rifles.

I have no idea how accuracy figures in mechanically, or how it works in regular 1.13, but yeah, I think the top sniper rifles max out their accuracy at 11 (there may be a 12 or two in there).

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Chitzena, Arulco
June 28, 2011 – 0300 EST

“De harbor. It be just ahead.”

“Sam? How many are we looking at?”

“Hard to see, but I’m gonna guess we won’t be dealing with more than just a customs enforcement team, maybe around ten or twelve guys.”

“Alright, so what’re we waiting for? Let’s do it.”

Under the cover of the darkness and rain, the group approaches the harbor from the southeast. Sam and Dimitri split east of the southernmost building, while Fiona and Jesse go west. As they duck against the wall, Jesse hears some suspicious sounds coming from overheard. He switches to his silenced pistol just as a blackshirt guard peers down from the roof, and puts two rounds in her. At the same time, another blackshirt trudges into Dimitri’s line of fire. Started, he jerks down on the trigger, killing the soldier with a burst from his AK but announcing the attack to the entire harbor. Meanwhile, a greenshirt charges Jesse, and is put down, while Fiona drops the blackshirt following behind him. Another blackshirt closes with Sam, and he gets the kill with his Garand. Back on the other side of the building, yet another blackshirt walks along the edge of a pool of light, giving Jesse a fine shot. He gets the kill. With Jesse covering her, Fiona advances and nearly bumps straight into another blackshirt! Switching to her UMP45, she triggers a burst of hollow-point and throws him back several feet.

As Fi and Jesse take cover behind some boxes, Sam and Dimitri push north and east to investigate the firing positions built up on top of the warehouses. They listen for a bit, but don’t hear any movement above, and when Dimitri climbs up to investigate, he finds the first position empty. They continue advancing towards the second warehouse, and Sam catches sight of a blackshirt standing outside the doors. He unceremoniously shoots him in the back. Twice. The gunfire apparently catches the attention of someone behind the sandbags over the warehouse door, and they hear someone moving around. Dimitri sneaks around the side and throws up his Molotov Cocktail. The oil-alcohol mix quickly spreads across the roof, and Dimitri can hear the cries of pain. Sam waits for the fire to die down in the rain, then climbs up onto the roof to find the guard’s body, pistol clutched in his charred hand.

Meanwhile on the west side of the harbor, Fiona and Jesse advance towards the customs building and guard house at the end of the breakwater. With the area in front of the customs house dark, Jesse throws a break light, and the pool of fluorescent green illuminates a greenshirt waiting for them behind the sandbags. Fiona brings him down with one shot from her Mosin-Nagant. The two advance cautiously on the guard house at the end. With Fiona covering, Jesse climbs up to the roof, then drops down through an access hatch inside the building. As he steps into the darkness, he hears noise immediately beside him, and out of the corner of his eye, he spots a greenshirt lifting his weapon. Acting solely on instinct, Jesse drops backwards, swings his HK33, and three-round-bursts the soldier in the chest.

With all of the soldiers dead, they group splits up to tear open the crates lying around for any equipment they can use. In the customs house, Sam manages to find several shipping crates packed with silver.

Although the doors to the warehouses are locked, Fiona finds a useful skeleton key: TNT. Slapping on a couple detonators, she blows open the doors one by one.

Nothing special lootwise. A couple key finds are the nearly $14,000 in cash and silver, which will come in very handy. There are some night-vision binoculars and some low-quality night-vision goggles that Sam snaps up. There are also a few clips of .30-06. With three full magazines now, he sets aside the Garand and switches to the Browning Automatic Rifle full-time. Otherwise, there are some 9mm AET rounds (badass ammo that shreds both armor and people) which Jesse takes, a backpack that Fi grabs and fills with miscellaneous supplies, a few grenades, and a reflex sight that Jesse slaps on his HK33. There is also a utility knife that Fiona uses to change her trigger group from 2-shot to a 3-shot burst fire.

Once they take what they want, everything gets deleted except the gasoline (it’s valuable and it can’t really be carried around).

Everything, that is, except a few beers. Fiona, Jesse, and Dimitri each grab one, while Sam pulls the bottle of rum from his bag.

“Bottoms up!”

-----------------------------------------

Chitzena, Arulco
June 28, 2011 – 0330 EST

Sam leans over a radio, its guts spilled out all over a small desk.

“Hey Fi, hand me that screwdriver, will ya? … Okay… just… about… got it!

The radio returns to life with a burst of static.

“Is the signal strong enough to reach Michael?”

“Should be. Only one way to find out.”

He lifts the handset.

“Hey Mike, it’s Sam. Come in, Mike. Can you hear me? Over.”

Static crackles.

“Come in, Mike. Over.”

“Yeah, Sam. I read you. Over.”

“Good news! We’ve taken southern Chitzena, and we’re in control of the harbor. Over.”

“How long before you can start shipping ore?”

“Well, when I say ‘we’re in control of the harbor’, I’m talkin’ as of, like, fifteen minutes ago. We’re gonna move on and finish securing northern Chitzena tonight, then talk to the miners about restarting production on behalf of the rebels. Over.

“Sounds good, Sam. Keep me posted. Over.”

“How are things on your end? Found Skyrider yet?”

“Yeah, but we’re not the only ones…”

“Looks like one of the Queen’s patrols got here just before we did. Over.”

“What are you gonna do?”

“We’re gonna need Bullock to fly that chopper… We might be able to get up to his cabin and get him out before the Army gets ahold of him. Over.”

“Good luck, Mike. Over.”

“Thanks, Sam. You too. Over and out.”

-----------------------------------------

Northeast of Drassen, Arulco
June 28, 2011 – 0330 EST

“So that’s the plan? Grab Skyrider before the Queen’s men find him?”

“It doesn’t look like they’ve spotted his cabin yet. If we hurry, we can get in and out without them ever even knowing we were here.”

Michael and Ira crouch low and work their way through the trees and soft ground towards the small cabin hidden in the swamp. Peeking in the window, it appears unoccupied, but when they slip through the front door, they see a man crouched in the corner. He looks up, startled.

“Wha--? Who--…? Ira? What are you doin’ here?”

“The Queen’s men are here.”

“Mr. Bullock, we need to get you out.

Skyrider nods, but before they can make a move, shouts echo outside, accompanied by the splashing of boots through water.

“We’re too late. Mr. Bullock, stay down. Ira, watch the door.”

Ira crouches in the corner, her big WWII rifle aimed at the doorway, as Michael takes the opposite corner, his pistol covering the windows. The setup pays off immediately, as two soldiers burst through the door. Michael double-taps the first as Ira blows a hole in the second. As two more soldiers rush past the doorway, Ira works through a gun jam and manages to take them both down.

Michael adjusts his position to get a better angle out the window, and immediately double-taps a target who appears out of the darkness. Another headshot brings down a second enemy, and then more foes appear in the window on the other side of the cabin. Four headshots later, and three more enemies lie dead.

More sounds from outside alert Michael, and he turns his pistol back to the south-side windows to take down one more enemy. There is a brief moment of danger as another foe tries to get off a shot at Michael through the window, but Ira is on the ball and is able to make the killing shot.

“Ira, stay here and watch the door. I’m gonna do a quick sweep and see if we missed any.”

Michael slips out the door, slapping a fresh magazine into his Glock as he goes. Hearing whispers off to the west, he works his way through the trees, finds the last two foes, and drops them.

“Ira, what the hell is goin’ on? Everything’s all quiet, then suddenly, few days ago, I see a plane crash. Then, next thing I know, I’m hearin’ gunfire across the lake, and now a whole goddamn squad of the Queen’s goons are knockin’ on my door.”

“What’s going on is we’ve got some help, and we’re starting to take it to the Queen.”

“What’s that got to do with me? I ain’t a fighter.”

Holstering his pistol, Michael walks back through the door.

“No – you’re something much more valuable. A pilot.”

“Heh. Wish to God I wasn’t. That chopper is a goddamn albatross around my neck. Queen won’t leave me alone! I thought I was safe out here, but…”

“Deidranna’s men are everywhere. We’ve hit her hard the last few days. Kinda stirred up the hornet’s nest.”

“Oh, so it’s you they’re lookin’ for. Huh. And I almost got caught in the crossfire.”

“You knew it was only a matter of time. And they’ll be back, Mr. Bullock. We need to get you to safety.”

“Yeah, maybe so. Maybe so… But why me? Why the interest in Skyrider?”

“Your charming personality. Why else?”

“Yeah, okay. Stupid question. You need a pilot.”

Michael nods.

“We need a pilot.”

Skyrider thinks a long moment, then returns the nod.

“I ain’t a fighter, but I ain’t got no love for the Queen. I had a good life in old Arulco. You get me to my eggbeater, and I’ll do my part to try and bring it back. Plus, if things go south, I can just fly outta the country.”

“Works for me. For now, though, let’s just get you to Omerta.”

“Fair enough. Lemme just grab a few things.”

Nothing much here. Ira swaps out her NVGs for a better set and trades her vest for some customizable combat webbing.

Next Episode: North Chitzena

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
So, why are you deleting items that you don't end up taking?

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Volmarias posted:

So, why are you deleting items that you don't end up taking?

Just one of the self-imposed rules I set for this game to up the challenge a little. With 'Enemies Drop All' on, it's too easy to alt-click everything in the sector inventory (which sells it off for a fraction of its value) and build up quick cash. I wanted to try having very limited funds in the early game, and I didn't want to leave the sector inventories clogged, so I settled on the "give everything to the rebel militia" (i.e. delete) policy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Actual bars of silver, huh? How good are they in terms of value-to-weight? Like, would you be better off with high-end guns?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Glazius posted:

Actual bars of silver, huh? How good are they in terms of value-to-weight? Like, would you be better off with high-end guns?

I believe silver can be deposited straight into your account like cash, so it's effectively weightless. I imagine FiddlersThree would prefer guns until Bobby Ray's is open, though, or at least until paid mercs show up.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Yeah, the silver can be (and was) dropped straight into the generic "account", just like the cash has been. Once Chitzena is fully cleared and the mine starts churning (hopefully I'll have the game post up sometime before the weekend, but it's a busy week, so no promises), I'll be taking another vote on the next course of action.

Naturally, of course, this will include spending a chunk of our hard-earned cash on some of AIM's finest (and/or MERC's weaniest).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FiddlersThree posted:

Just one of the self-imposed rules I set for this game to up the challenge a little. With 'Enemies Drop All' on, it's too easy to alt-click everything in the sector inventory (which sells it off for a fraction of its value) and build up quick cash. I wanted to try having very limited funds in the early game, and I didn't want to leave the sector inventories clogged, so I settled on the "give everything to the rebel militia" (i.e. delete) policy.

Oh, ok. I assumed that you would be saving some of the stuff for other mercs that came, eventually.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Volmarias posted:

Oh, ok. I assumed that you would be saving some of the stuff for other mercs that came, eventually.

For certain hard-to-get items (tool kits, gasoline) I am stockpiling a bit, and I'll probably use the jeep storage as well for certain things (ammo particularly, but also decent weapons/attachments that I want to hang on to). It's a little arbitrary, but it's basically just to prevent me from gaming the system. Its working so far, so...

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think it's a little weird but it makes sense. Are you going to hold onto anything vaguely of value to take to Tony other merchants?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Wow, just found this thread and I'm already loving it. At first I thought it was gonna be sorta gimmicky, but you really have a handle on the character's voices. Definitely following this.

My only complaint: needs more yogurt.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

SpookyLizard posted:

I think it's a little weird but it makes sense. Are you going to hold onto anything vaguely of value to take to Tony other merchants?

After I meet them, I may have the characters sell them some particularly high-value items that they take, but I haven't decided yet.

As for the yogurt, Michael will have to wait until Drassen Airport is open and shipments can resume. (I shoulda modded yogurt in as an item in Bobby Ray's inventory. Rats.)

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Chitzena, Arulco
June 28, 2011 – 0338 EST

With the harbor secure, Fiona, Sam, Jesse, and Dimitri continue taking advantage of the cover provided by the night and the rain as they move north to clear the rest of Chitzena.

With another dozen foes ahead of them, the foursome creeps in from the south, using a small beach bungalow to cover their approach. As Fiona advances, she spots an enemy lurking at the corner, and motions Jesse forwards. He draws his pistol and makes the silent kill. The group then splits up, with Sam and Fiona taking the south side of the building and Jesse sweeping north with Dimitri. As Jesse takes cover behind a stone wall, he finds an enemy soldier just on the other side, and takes him out. Hearing the body fall, another enemy rushes towards them from the north, and Dimitri opens fire with a burst from his AK. He kills the soldier, but alerts the sector to the squad’s incursion. Meanwhile, Sam has pulled his night-vision binoculars and spotted a blackshirt in the garden near Jesse. Fiona wounds him, and Jesse is able to finish him off.

Jesse jumps the wall and advances into the garden with Dimitri following close behind. A moment later they find another enemy, and Jesse takes him down with his HK33. Sam moves out from behind the wall, and, with his binoculars, spots another blackshirt behind the far wall of the garden. He radios the position to Fiona, who is able to make the difficult shot. Sam calls out two more foes as they appear behind the cover of the wall, and Jesse and Dimitri are able to combine their fire and take out one of the targets.

Focused as they are, however, nobody spots a blackshirt creeping through the garden until he blasts Dimitri with a barrel full of buckshot. His armor protects him somewhat, but the shock of the hit smashes the rebel to the ground, bloody and wheezing. Vengeful, Jesse three-round-bursts the blackshirt into the next life, then fires another burst over the wall at another lurking foe. Wounded, the enemy ducks behind the wall. Meanwhile, another soldier charges towards them along the road, but Sam is ready. Coolly, he unfolds the bipod of the BAR and uncorks the weapon for the first time, delivering a controlled burst to the soldier and taking him out as Fiona dashes up to staunch Dimitri’s bleeding. With his wounds under control, Fiona’s anger at the wounding of her companion boils over. She unslings her UMP45 and crosses into the yard of the next bungalow, where she burst-fires a blackshirt to death. Circling around the north side of the bungalow, she locates the last defending soldier and ends him.

A few items of interest are recovered from this battle. First and foremost, a Steyr Scout – a light modern 7.62mm rifle that can do an admirable job as a sniper weapon. It’s lighter and faster than the Mosin-Nagant, but what clinches it as Fiona’s new primary weapon is its ability to take modern optics (like the 7x Battle Scope sitting there). There’s some decent armor here, too. Fiona takes a full set of Zylon, Sam grabs the Kevlar pants, Jesse takes the Kevlar vest and the taclight, and Dimitri takes the NVG. Fiona also packs away the land mine in anticipation of the counterattack that the Queen is sure to launch. (note: the second inventory page contained only a single rag, so I didn’t bother including the screenshot)

“So what’s the plan now?”

“We don’t have much choice. We need to get control of this city if we want to keep the harbor. We have to push through.”

Jesse points to Dimitri, who sits by a tree, clutching his badly bruised chest.

“Well, what about him?”

“Why don’t we ask him?”

“Dimitri, how’s the wound?”

The rebel winces, but puts on a brave face.

“It is fine. Only little pain.”

“Can you fight?”

“Remember what we said before, Dimitri. You don’t have to try and impress us.”

“I do not fight to impress. I fight for Arulco! Little pain do not stop Dimitri Guzzo.”

Dimitri scowls as Sam shrugs at Jesse and Fiona.

“I guess we got our answer.”

Fiona slings the strap of her new rifle over her shoulder.

“Then let’s go shoot some bad guys.”

They creep from the northwest onto the grounds of a pleasant resort. As they fan out through the foliage, Sam and his very useful night-vision binoculars catch sight of a patrolling greenshirt. Jesse makes the kill. A moment later, a blackshirt guard’s patrol takes him into view along the north side of the building. Fiona can make the easy shot, but does not take it as there is no need to go loud just yet. Instead, hearing some noise on the roof, Jesse creeps close and climbs up to find a guard. A single shot takes him out, but the blackshirt below apparently heard the noise and climbs up to investigate. It’s the last mistake he makes.

A greenshirt emerges from inside the resort. With Jesse on the roof to provide a nice crossfire on any other hostiles that might emerge, Fiona goes loud and takes him out. Jesse sneaks to the edge of the roof, where he hears lots of activity below as guards rush to investigate the gunshot. Two shots take two of them down. A third, however, manages to get close without being seen and opens fire on Dimitri, wounding him and then fading back into the shadows. Jesse, meanwhile, takes out another greenshirt as Dimitri shows his grit. Keeping ahold of his AK, he turns and firing an on-target burst at the bastard who shot him. As the soldier bleeds out and an uneasy quiet descends, Fiona rushes up to once again apply first aid to the rebel soldier.

As Jesse and Fi move in to clear the potential hornet’s nest of the main resort building, Sam, followed by the badly limping Dimitri, take what they imagine to be the easy duty – clearing the grounds. Their expectations are foiled, however, as a charging soldier catches Sam completely off-guard. As badly hurt as he is, Dimitri’s reflexes are still sharp. Unable to get a shot with Sam in the way, he rips his knife from its sheath, stumbles forward with teeth bared, and slashes hard at the soldier. His timely attack surprises the soldier and saves Sam. His bold attack must have resonated with God Himself, because moments later a hidden enemy sprays a wild burst of SMG fire at the melee, missing Dimitri but killing the soldier he had just stabbed. With no cover and a hidden enemy, Sam tosses a grenade. The cry of pain confirms the hit. With the resort ostensibly clear, Jesse dashes out and puts the killshot on the enemy before he can recover from the grenade blast. The search is then on for the final two foes, whom Jesse discovers on the east side of the resort, next to Chitzena’s famous ruins. Three shots, and they are down.

“Oh my… John, is it over?”

“Well, I don’t hear any more shooting, Mary…”

Inside the resort’s foyer, the team watches, bemused, as an older couple emerges tentatively from one of the guest rooms.

“Look, John! John, look – they have guns! They don’t look like the army men that were here before… Are they terrorists?”

“Hey… You’re, uh… you’re not terrorists, are you?”

“No, sir.”

“Oh, hey! Are you the rebels?”

Jesse looks thoughtful.

“You know, at this point, I’m thinkin’ maybe we kind of are…”

“Well, then! It's good to meet ya. John Kulba from Cleveland, Ohio. ‘The Gateway to the Great Lakes.’”

“Cleveland? What are you doing in Arulco?”

“I’m afraid we really messed up good. Mary and I were supposed to be going to Aruba. My wife booked the tickets through one of her travel agent friends. Didn’t know we were in the wrong country ‘til we landed.”

“Well, that’s not quite true, John. Paula told us to check the tickets and make sure everything was okay. You checked them, John. I specifically remember you checking them.”

“Mary, please, I’m trying to talk. I know the ticket said ‘Arulco’, but how was I supposed to know that’s not how Arubans spell Aruba? I mean, these people speak Arubic. Anyway, thisguy Pablo at the airport didn’t tell us nothing about any war. He even went on about all the tourist attractions this country has to offer, including this pile of rubble.”

“My husband as no appreciation for history.”

“I wouldn’t trust that slippery man to park my car. Now, I’m stuck here without a safe way to get back to the airport in Drassen. I can’t wait to get my feet back on American soil.”

“Well, you may be stuck here at least a little while longer. The Queen has shut down all traffic in and out of Drassen .”

“Oh, well isn’t that just great.”

“I’ll tell ya what, though. Once we boot the Army outta Drassen and get back into contact with the outside world, we’ll see what we can do about getting’ you back there safely.”

“John and I would appreciate that very much. Thank you!”

Very little of interest lootwise from this one. Dimitri slaps the foregrip on his AK, Fiona takes the leg protectors, Jesse grabs the Guardian vest and passes his Kevlar to Sam, and Sam grabs the Seal 2000 knife. With so few changes, I’m not going to bother posting an inventory screen.

Next Episode: Power to the People

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

FiddlersThree posted:

Very little of interest lootwise from this one. Dimitri slaps the foregrip on his AK, Fiona takes the leg protectors, Jesse grabs the Guardian vest and passes his Kevlar to Sam, and Sam grabs the Seal 2000 knife. With so few changes, I’m not going to bother posting an inventory screen.
You could have given Fiona that M1911 Hi-Cap: identical to her 1911, just capable of having 14 rounds instead of 7. It also looked like its condition was better. :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Is it possible to buy Silenced weapons from BRs? Will you be doing so? It seems like with your characters, your best bet is to just sneak through each area with silenced weapons and clean without any problems or fuss.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Is it possible to buy Silenced weapons from BRs? Will you be doing so? It seems like with your characters, your best bet is to just sneak through each area with silenced weapons and clean without any problems or fuss.

There are a few weapons with integrated suppressors available, as well as a wide selection of silencers and suppressors for different guns; most ammo also comes in cold-loaded/subsonic for quieter shots. This early in the game I think he'll only have a few available - although those 'few' will likely include one or two Delisle Commando Carbines, the quietest gun in the game (they make about as much noise as a knife stab does).

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

There are a few weapons with integrated suppressors available, as well as a wide selection of silencers and suppressors for different guns; most ammo also comes in cold-loaded/subsonic for quieter shots. This early in the game I think he'll only have a few available - although those 'few' will likely include one or two Delisle Commando Carbines, the quietest gun in the game (they make about as much noise as a knife stab does).

To expand this, most Assault Rifles can use silencers, but are almost completely pointless to have on if you don't use cold loaded ammo. If you want to sneak around, you'll have to use SMG's or pistols. Some assault rifles break this rule, like the AN-94 and the AS VAL though.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

radintorov posted:

You could have given Fiona that M1911 Hi-Cap: identical to her 1911, just capable of having 14 rounds instead of 7. It also looked like its condition was better. :v:

I'm actually really close to just ditching Fiona's pistol altogether. The UMP45 is her CQB go-to weapon, and it makes more sense for her as she has the Auto Weapons trait. As soon as I pick up some load-bearing equipment that makes sense for her (a demolitions pouch or vest), I'll probably reconfigure her gear and drop the sidearm.

Volmarias posted:

Bobby Ray's has a wide variety of both integrated-silencer weapons and differently-sized silencers for all types of weapons, from small pistols to sniper rifles. Especially when paired with our custom cold-loaded armor-piercing ammunition, there will not be a target that you cannot silently dispatch at any range!

(e;fb x2)

But yeah, sneaky night-ops can be a very, very effective way to play the game. The player's squad will almost always have the advantage in NVG's and related optics. However, that does get old -- sometimes it's just more fun to have big old throwdowns with long-range sniper headshots, grenade launchers, machine guns, and mortar support. Here in the early game I'm using a lot of night ops, but as we progress and the weapons get more fun, I'll be balancing it out more.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
What's the difference between shirt colours?

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

What's the difference between shirt colours?

I believe it has to do with rank. Certain colors indicate how strong a certain enemy is.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
It varies between the versions, but in the mod I'm using, greenshirts are regular, low-level soldiers. The blackshirts are elites.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH

hold the loving boat here

are you tellin' me that ANIMAS has loving Delisle carbines? how the gently caress did i not know this

where do i get this
how do i make this with NCTH?
fancy maps and stuff I don't care about but gently caress me delisle carbine gently caress yes

(also the inner gun sperg in me just wants to remind you that it's always suppressed, never silenced. Silencers exist in movies, suppressors exist in real life thanks in advance)

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Greenshirts = second-line scrubs armed with WWII-vintage, handguns and pump-action shotguns
Redshirts = army regulars with mostly Cold War-vintage gear (70's-80's-era SMGs, older ARs, semi-auto shotguns etc.)
Blackshirts = elite troops with modern equipment

Your own militia works like that, too. Simply replace red with light blue and black with dark blue. Also, armament tends to get better as the game progresses. End-game black- and reshirts can have grenade launchers, rockets, sniper rifles and mortars!

Also, 1.13 on Lots of Guns has a shitload of obscure stuff. DeLisle carbines, twenty+ differrent AK variants, russian silenced assault, sniper and anti-materiel(!) rifles, the WA2000 (only $45,000 per gun!), some turkish shotgun that looks like a M-16 clone, crazy revolvers that fire shotgun shells etc. Play on SciFi and even weirder poo poo comes up, like the Steyr ACR flechette-rifle, G11 PDWs or a MetalStorm SMG. Also, thermobaric munitions for grenade launchers and RPGs. :black101:

Edit: Yeah, the descriptions on Bobby Rays are awesome. All mustard gas grenades (and the mortar shells) have an extra disclaimer that using them against humans violates the Geneva Conventions and that they're only sold for pest control. :v:

And the AKM is described as having been used in Afghanistan, Vietnam and on many passenger planes.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 9, 2012

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Magni posted:

Also, 1.13 on Lots of Guns has a shitload of obscure stuff. DeLisle carbines, twenty+ differrent AK variants, russian silene assault, sniper and anti-materiel(!) rifles etc. Play on SciFi and even weirder poo poo comes up, like the Steyr ACR flechette-rifle or a MetalStorm SMG. Also, thermobaric munitions for grenade launchers and RPGs. :black101:

It's good fun just browsing through the list from Bobby Rays- some of the weapon descriptions are just as fantastic as in the original, like the OSV-96. "At nearly 2m in length, this rifle is also useful for polevaulting."

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
also i'm fairly certain i've never seen a delisle in vanilla 1.13

i may be wrong but since the delisle loving owns i doubt it

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

The Delisle does not appear in vanilla; I just spent the last hour in Bobby Ray's and it was definitely not there.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
One of my favourite tv shows and a game I keep trying to play but suck at... This is awesome.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

FiddlersThree posted:

buy some for me ill love you forever and ever and ever

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Meduna, Arulco -- Queen Deidranna’s Palace
June 28, 2011 -- 0408 EST

Scowling, Queen Deidranna stalks out to the palace foyer where her chief of staff, Elliot, awaits.

“I trust you have good news.”

“Well, there is news, your Highness, but I would not propose to dictate to Your Grace whether the news is good or not.”

“Spit it out, Elliot! Have the rebels been captured or killed?”

“Ahem, well, Your Highness, it seems that they have not yet been captured. In fact, it seems likely that they are in control of Chitzena.”

“In control of Chitzena? In control of Chitzena? What do you mean, in control of Chitzena?”

“It appears that a team of rebels snuck into the city last night, killed all of the soldiers stationed there, and took control of the harbor.”

Deidranna’s face twitches.

“Ours was a most valiant effort, Your Highness.”

Deidranna delivers a stinging smack to Elliot’s face.

“Valiant effort, Elliot? What do I care about valiant efforts!? You have lost me my harbor! How am I supposed to ship my silver? I am I supposed to resupply my army?”

“Perhaps… erm… eBay, Your Highness? We could ship by airplane from Meduna.”

“Elliot! You IDIOT! We had four thousand barrels of diesel for our tanks in that harbor, awaiting pickup! My army cannot crush the rebels if they cannot drive their tanks! I want these rebels caught, Elliot! I want to show all of Arulco what happens to those who defy me!”

-----------------------------------------------

Chitzena, Arulco
June 28, 2011 – 0414 EST

Chitzena is quiet. Much of the population of the small, seaside city is just beginning to emerge from their homes after cowering through a night of confusion and gunfire to find the Army garrison dead and their town effectively liberated. Jubilant cheering rings through the streets, and Fiona, Sam, Jesse, and the badly wounded Dimitri feel their spirits lifting as they walk back towards the south side of the city.

“I’m going back to the harbor to radio Michael and let him know that we’ve kicked the Army out of Chitzena. Can you gentlemen keep an eye on the road?”

“We might also want to start feeling out the locals about organizing. We’ve got guns lying everywhere – some of these people must know how to use ‘em.”

“I’ll start asking around, but, ya know, havin’ a few bucks to spread around might help convince people that we’re legit. Help sway popular opinion a little.”

“We’ve got all that silver and cash from the harbor. Don’t spend too much, though. We don’t know how long we’re going to have to make it last.”

“I will help you, Sam.”

“No, Dimitri, you’ll take it easy. Get some rest.”

“I’ll check your bandages. We’ll have you back in fighting shape in no time.”

“Jesse, can you also run over to the mining office and talk to the foreman? See if there’s any truth to what Miguel said about the miners working for us.”

“Yeah. I’m on it.”

“Alright. Then I guess I’ll see you in a few hours.”

“Michael, it’s me. Do you copy? Over.”

“Yeah, Fi. I read you. How are things in Chitzena? Over.”

“It’s actually quite beautiful here. I wish my swimsuit hadn’t been blown up with the plane…”

“So I take it the city is under control? Over.”

“Yes – the Army is out of the picture, at least for the time being. Sam is seeing about organizing some of the locals into a militia to help keep them out. Over.”

“Good. What about the harbor? Does it look like we’ll be able to start shipping silver soon? Over.”

“I think so. Jesse’s talking to the miners, but the shipping shouldn’t be a problem. Over.”

“Good. And the harbor has a landline, right? See if you can get through to Barry. We’re going to need some help finding a buyer. He can act as our agent. If you’ve got internet access, log in to AIM and see who’s available. Over.”

“And–… I know you won’t like this, Michael, but given our budget for this operation we might also want to consider MERC as well. Over.”

“…We need professionals, Fi. Not hobbyists. Over.”

“What we need and what we can afford are two entirely different things. Over.”

“Alright. See who’s available, anyways. We’re also going to need an equipment supplier. There’s that Tony that Miguel pointed us to, but we may need an offshore option as well, depending on how things go with Kingpin. Reach out to some of your contacts and see if there’s anyone willing to make small, short-notice shipments into Drassen. Over.”

“So what’s your plan? Over.”

“Ira and I were able to extract Mr. Bullock from--…”

(muffled) “Skyrider. Call me Skyrider.”

“Sorry. We were able to extract Skyrider from his cabin, and we’re taking him back to Omerta now. Over.”

“Good. Then I’ll radio you in a few hours with any updates. Over and out.”

Jesse and Dimitri enter the main office of the Chitzena silver mine to find the foreman there waiting for them.

“Hey, how are you doing, my friend?”

“Well enough. I was hoping you guys would be stopping by.”

“Why’s that?”

“What can I say? I love your work. The guards were all up in a tizzy, talkin’ about what you’ve been doin’ around Drassen and how hard they were going to kick your asses if you showed up here. It was good to see the tables turned for once.”

“We do what we can.”

Fred glances at Dimitri’s bloody bandages.

“Though it looks like you didn’t make it out unscathed.”

“Is just scratch.”

“If you need some medical supplies, we might have some in the locker room. I’m Fred, by the way. Foreman of the mine.”

“Jesse. Pleasure to meet you.

Jesse glances around the office, buying a moment of time before changing the subject.

“So it’s a pretty nice operation you got goin’ here.”

Fred snickers.

“We’re the smallest mine in Arulco, in terms of production, at least. But we do our best.

“I assume that you’ve got standing orders to turn all production over to the Army?”

“Well, we had standing orders to turn the silver over to the Army, but things have changed a little, now, haven’t they?”

“So what’s the plan?”

“No need to tiptoe around it, Jesse. Arulco’s a small island, and news travels fast. Miguel Cordona got word to us about backing your play.”

“Oh, come on! I had a speech all ready to try and convince you to support us.”

“Sorry ‘bout that. You can still give it, if you want.”

“Naw, it’s alright. The moment’s passed. Anyways, the long and short of it is--…?”

“My miners and I despise the Queen. There’s not a one of us that doesn’t want to see her overthrown, so we’ll be turning the silver we mine over to the rebel cause.”

“That’s appreciated.”

“Just to be clear, though, my first priority is looking out for my miners. The Queen’s been working us without pay for weeks, now, so I’m setting aside some of what we pull outta the ground as back wages.”

“I got no problem with that.”

“I’m also gonna be giving them the day off today. Some of my men haven’t seen their families in days. They’ll work hard to fund your operation, but a day to rest and celebrate would go a long way towards convincing them you’re for real.”

“Yeah, no – that’s fine. It’s gonna take a day or so to work out the distribution channels anyways.”

“Then it sounds like we’ve got ourselves an arrangement.”

“Pleasure doing business with you, Fred.”

“You as well, Jesse. For what it’s worth, we’re all pulling for you.”

Fiona fishes her cell phone out of her pack, cycles up the phone number for money launderer extraordinaire Barry Burkowski, and punches it into the landline telephone.

“This is Barry. How may I be of service?”

“Barry, it’s Fiona.”

“Oh, goddammit. What does Mike want now?”

“Actually, Barry, as I recall, the last time we spoke it was you asking Michael for a favor.”

“... yeah, okay. Fair enough. What is it that Barry Bukowski can help you with today, then?”

“You're in luck. It's not even a favor. More of a business proposition.

“I'm listening...”

“We need you to broker a deal for some raw silver.”

“Okay, now you’ve got my attention. How much silver are we talkin’?”

“Eventually, the daily output of all five major mines in Arulco.”

“… you’re serious?”

“I’m calling you from Chitzena, where I’ve got a few crates of the stuff being loaded onto a ship. We’re also going to have regular daily production from the mine here.”

“So what do you need from me?”

“A buyer. I’m sure you’ve got plenty of clients who would be interested in this deal, so find someone not too abhorrent and make an arrangement. I’ll also need you to set up and monitor an offshore account on our behalf where the funds will be deposited, and where they’ll be accessible to us.”

“Okay. I’m getting some ideas. The gears are turning. They might turn a little faster, though, if I knew what my cut was going to be.”

“Five percent off the top.”

“Oh, come on, Fi. If you want me to put this deal together for you, you gotta cut me in for more than that.”

“Can you hear me rolling my eyes, Barry? I know you’re going to skim off the top. Keep it to no more than fifteen percent total, and I won’t come and blow up your house. How’s that?”

“I think I can work with that.”

“Good. Let me know when it’s all arranged.”

With the silver export angle handled, Fiona returns to southeast Chitzena to continuing ministering to Dimitri’s injuries, and Jesse joins Sam with trying to organize a basic militia in the town.

By mid-day, they have assembled a group of ten men and women, armed them with weapons from the Queen’s fallen soldiers, and worked them through some rudimentary combat training.

Omerta, Arulco
June 28, 2011 – 1513 EST

After an exhausting, all-night hike through the swamps and an afternoon of driving, Michael, Ira, and Skyrider finally arrive in Omerta.

“It pisses me off, man.”

“I’m sorry?”

“What the Queen has done to this place. Omerta used to be a beautiful little town. Now it’s just a damned smoking hole in the ground. You sure there are people still livin’ here?”

“As of two days ago there were. You just gotta know where to look.”

Ira pulls away the rug and knocks on the trapdoor, and it swings open. Skyrider follow her and Michael down into the secret rebel bunker.

Miguel steps forward, a broad grin on his face. The bunker feels different… the faces are not quite as lean, the eyes not as hopeless. Even Carlos smiles as they enter, though his eyes turn wary as the unfamiliar Skyrider emerges from the stairwell.

“My friend! It is so very good to see you! It seems every passing hour brings word of a new victory!”

“We’re doing what we can, Miguel. But it’s going to be a long fight.”

“Believe me, I know this. But, tell me… who is your friend?”

“Miguel, this is James Bullock, also known as Skyrider.”

“Ahhh! It is very nice to finally meet you. I regret that I never had the chance to take your tour before. But… maybe if things keep going well, maybe you will be flying us into Meduna before too long, eh?”

“I’ll be keepin’ my fingers crossed, Cap.”

“Ah, but where are my manners? You have had a long night and day, I think. We do not have much, but Father Walker was able to provide us with some supplies. I think we can spare a meal or two.”

“Thank you, Miguel. Also, do you mind if Skyrider stays here with you until we gain control of Drassen?”

“It is no trouble at all. First Chitzena, then Drassen… then what next? Cambria? Grumm? Alma, even? Ha! I am very glad you have come, Mr. Michael Westen. Very glad indeed!”

Michael and Ira share a meal with the rebels and see that Skyrider is taken care of. Afterwards, they settle in to get some work done – Ira learning a little more about leadership and training from Miguel, and Michael cleaning and maintaining their weapons and gear.

Chitzena, Arulco
June 28, 2011 – 2229 EST

“Fi, do you copy? Over.”

“Yeah, Sam. What is it?”

“Well, I’ve been keepin’ an eye on the road, and it looks like an Army squad is comin’ up, all full of piss and vinegar about us kicking ‘em out of the city. Over.”

“How many?”

“I make it eleven. Looks like a mix of regulars and blackshirts. Look like they’ll be coming in from the east. Over.”

“Roger. Let’s get everyone together and start planning the surprise party. Out.”

A few minutes later, Fiona narrows down the likely approach that the soldiers will take and conceals her pilfered landmine there, making a mental note to disable and remove it as soon as the threat has passed.

Then she climbs up onto the roof of one of the mining complex buildings to take up position alongside Sam…

…as Jesse and Dimitri watch the southwest to make sure no soldiers slip by. They watch, alert for any movement, any sign of attack, for nearly two hours.

“I don’t think they’re comin’.”

“Sam? Can you take a look?”

“Yeah, yeah…”

A few minutes later, a badly out-of-breath Sam comes charging through the underbrush.

“Son of a--… bitch… The bastards--…. They went right by us…”

“Let’s move. We can set up in the ruins.”

The quartet quickly moves north to the undefended resort next to Chitzena’s famous ruins, leaving the ten volunteer militia in charge of the defense of the mine. Jesse and Dimitri take cover behind the remains of some columns to the north…

…while Sam sets up his Browning behind a tree and some brush…

…and Fiona breaks into a house to cover the southwest flank.

More than eight hours later, with the morning sun hanging clear and heavy in the sky, the enemy finally attacks. Fiona takes the initiative, dropping first a blackshirt immediately to her south, then another to the east. At this range, she almost cannot miss. Sam then bags a regular with a single shot from his BAR.

On the west side of the ruins, Jesse drops a blackshirt with two rounds from his HK33, and badly wounds a greenshirt with a third shot. Despite his still-seeping wounds, Dimitri sees two blackshirts preparing to split their center, and thinks quickly. Rising painfully to his feet, he pulls the pin on a stun grenade and hurls it right between the two elite soldiers. Jesse, meanwhile, has heard a noise to his west. He jumps up and gets the drop on a greenshirt trying to outflank them, killing him with a single shot.

Back down in the south, Fiona and Sam keep up their deadly fire, dropping both of the remaining western targets. With the wounded Dimitri facing two stunned but still very dangerous elite soldiers, Sam breaks position and runs to assist. On the east side, Jesse finally finishes off the soldier he had earlier crippled.

With one soldier left unaccounted for, Jesse jogs between the pillars with his pistol out. He quickly finds the greenshirt as she angles for a shot on Dimitri, and makes the quick kill. Sam, with one of the two remaining blackshirts up and active, goes prone and takes him down with a short burst. Despite the pain of his AK kicking into his shoulder, Dimitri manages to get a hit on the last enemy as he tries to recover from the stun grenade. At nearly the same time, Jesse finally closes the distance and makes the kill with his pistol.

Nothing too stellar. There’s another BAR, as well as a Bren gun (another low-magazine-capacity machine gun). It does hold thirty rounds to the BAR’s twenty, but Sam by this point has built up a decent reservoir of magazines, so it doesn’t make sense to switch. Dimitri grabs the Seal 2000 knife, a Kevlar helmet, and some Zylon armored legwear, while Sam takes some LBE webbing. A couple of grenades make it into their arsenals to replace ones that have been used, but that’s about it.

With the ruins once again quiet, Sam glances up from collecting the weapons and gear of the dead soldiers to see a wizened old man hobbling towards them. Sam walks to meet him.

“It is… regrettable… that the sanctity of this temple has been spoiled by so much suffering.”

“Ah, yeah… sorry about that. But… you know… they did attack us.”

“No, you misunderstand. You are warriors, fighting to restore peace to Arulco. I do not lay blame on you. Nor is the suffering I speak of that of these men who have fallen in battle.”

“Okay. Good. Glad that’s cleared up, then, I guess…?”

“I am Yanni, caretaker of these sacred grounds of Chitzena Temple. I have spent my life looking after these monuments to an early age. It has never been easy, but since Enrico Chivaldori’s death and the rise of Queen Deidranna, our troubles have not ceased.”

“Well, hopefully we can keep ‘em out. We may need to shoot a few more, but we’ll try and keep as much blood off the temple grounds as we can. No promises, though.”

Yanni is quiet for a moment.

“Do you know why people from around the world came to Chitzena?”

“I’m guessing you’re not going for ‘the beaches’…?”

“The Golden Chalice of Chance. To touch it was to be blessed with life’s fortune. Centuries old… encased in the finest jewels, it was the spiritual lifeblood of the people. It is what they hold dear. The Queen knew this…”

“She took it?”

“She locked it behind thick glass for the enjoyment of the wealthy who live in Balime. She did not want the peasants of the countryside to prosper from its blessing, or to feel hope or inspiration from its beauty and history. Greatness would be bestowed upon the one who returns it to Chitzena. To have it here, once again, may very well unite the country.”

“Well, that’s certainly something to think about… It’s in Balime, you say?”

“Yes. In the museum, behind heavy security and heavy guard. But if there is any who can restore it to its rightful place, I believe it is you and your companions.”

“I appreciate the vote of confidence, Yanni. I guess I’ll talk to you again soon, hopefully with this Chalice of Chance in my hand.”

“I hope so as well.”

Weary from their long night of waiting and the fury of the morning’s firefight, the squad trudges back south towards the mine to continue their work. No sooner have they arrived, however, before one of the militiamen reports another squad of soldiers coming up the road.

It looks like another fight is on the way.

Next Episode: A Voting Interlude

FiddlersThree fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 12, 2012

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
I really really hope that Barry is not the only recurring BN character, because you seem to have the voice for all the characters down pat. Are you actually Matt Nix? You can tell us.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I really really hope that Barry is not the only recurring BN character, because you seem to have the voice for all the characters down pat. Are you actually Matt Nix? You can tell us.

Nate is going to show up to tell Micheal about how he has this really sweet gig providing trucks to this lady D-something.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
I want this to be an honest-to-god TV series, with you as head writer.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Deidranna HAS to bring in Dead Larry as a ringer.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Does "Burn Notice" the TV show exist in this universe? Because there's a particular MERC character I want to see used, and given his personality, there might be a nice way to convince him to come to Arulco.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Agent Interrobang posted:

Deidranna HAS to bring in Dead Larry as a ringer.

He can take the place of Mike.

jwalrus fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 12, 2012

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Bren gun! :neckbeard:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

HoldYourFire posted:

Bren gun! :neckbeard:

That is all.

quote:

Does "Burn Notice" the TV show exist in this universe? Because there's a particular MERC character I want to see used, and given his personality, there might be a nice way to convince him to come to Arulco.

... This. So very this. Or he could be like the 'alien bitch' guy from that time in the place... actually, they're not dissimilar. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So uhhh... what happened to that landmine?

• Locked thread