Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

Originally when he first rolled up, I was convinced it was Bryan Cranston. Was somewhat disappointed when it wasn't him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
"15 of these babies between his house and his office" :haw:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arzakon posted:

Hanneman's history is literally MarkCuban.txt and that is awesome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cuban:

quote:

"In 1999, during the dot com boom, Broadcast.com was acquired by Yahoo! for $5.7 billion in Yahoo! stock.[25] After the sale of Broadcast.com, Cuban diversified his wealth to avoid exposure to a market crash.[26] In 2011, Cuban was No. 459 on Forbes list of "World's Richest People", with a net worth of $2.6 billion.[27]"

:lol: Even putting the money into short-term government bonds would have given a better return then whatever the gently caress he has been doing.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 28, 2015

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cuban:

:lol: Even putting the money into short-term government bonds would have given a better return then whatever the gently caress he has been doing.

It makes me so mad that he's literally lost half his fortune and he's still one of the richest people in the world.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
To be fair to Mark Cuban he didn't get even half of that 5.7 billion. That was the total purchase price, which was divided up between many shareholders, including cofounder Todd Wagner. After you factor in taxes I'm sure what he got was less than his current net worth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I think Cuban would have to be a pretty godawful businessman to have cut his money in half after owning one of the most consistently good teams in the NBA for 15 years.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Seph posted:

To be fair to Mark Cuban he didn't get even half of that 5.7 billion. That was the total purchase price, which was divided up between many shareholders, including cofounder Todd Wagner. After you factor in taxes I'm sure what he got was less than his current net worth.

Obviously, I'm saying that it's hilarious considering that he's a self-proclaimed genius entrepreneur who regularly sits on Shark Tank and talk poo poo when he really just lucked out on the dotcom bubble. :allears:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Mark Cuban has been using his money purchasing, and then trying to pay like crazy to try to win Dallas Mavericks championships.

Also being a loon.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Xoidanor posted:

Obviously, I'm saying that it's hilarious considering that he's a self-proclaimed genius entrepreneur who regularly sits on Shark Tank and talk poo poo when he really just lucked out on the dotcom bubble. :allears:

And managed to get his money out of said bubble before it burst, that's not just luck. Don't get me wrong, he's a crazy randroid douchebro, but it's not like he took daddy's money and managed to gently caress up drilling oil and fell rear end backwards into being president of the US.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It is luck, there's nothing beyond gut feeling that can help you time a financial bubble.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He also sold a business before that for a couple of million.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
People who think Mark Cuban wasn't just lucky are conveniently disregarding the countless others who were in at the same time and lost everything. He's not an idiot, but he also isn't a fortune teller. Many if not most people knew the bubble was going to burst, they just all had different guesses as to when and how it was going to happen.

He even tells the story about how he advised his friends and partners to get out at the same time he was, and they didn't. Whatever was happening at that time, he failed to make a compelling case to them beyond "my gut says exit".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Aw, man. I just started catching up on this show and didn't know Peter Gregory's actor died. :( 4 episodes in and he's already my favorite character. He's just so absurd.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't think its getting enough love because it was so early in the episode, but Jared comparing Hooli as his abusive spouse and then selling it with all the completely offbeat movie comparison was great. The entire scene was just so low key and plays that character so well.

Deadulus posted:

Gavin comparing the treatment of Billionaires to the Holocaust is a reference to Tom Perkins. He took some flack for doing that in a letter to the WSJ.

I was really expecting anyone at the conference to throw out a Godwins law reference. Nerd conferences and nobody drops it? Missed opportunity there.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Hold up. Totally forgot about the funniest joke in the episode when the Prius drove by as Hanneman said how everyone in Silicon Valley drives Priuses

e; alright, maybe not the funniest joke, but a good one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

Aw, man. I just started catching up on this show and didn't know Peter Gregory's actor died. :( 4 episodes in and he's already my favorite character. He's just so absurd.

I was surprised they handled it with a really absurd unflattering death of the character . Yeah he was a great character though. I wish I could have seen what the show would have been with him in it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't think its getting enough love because it was so early in the episode, but Jared comparing Hooli as his abusive spouse and then selling it with all the completely offbeat movie comparison was great. The entire scene was just so low key and plays that character so well.

"Every day here has been like that shopping scene, Richard. I'm puttin' on hats!"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Grump posted:

Hold up. Totally forgot about the funniest joke in the episode when the Prius drove by as Hanneman said how everyone in Silicon Valley drives Priuses

Well he saw the Prius drive by and said that, but yeah, then two more drive by in the scene which was pretty good. And the establishing shot of the next scene shows a Prius taxi.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grump posted:

Prius is passe in SV, real top tier assholes drive Teslas

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

The Burger King scene only rivals the Season 1 finale joke as my favorite moment in the show.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

axeil posted:

The Burger King scene only rivals the Season 1 finale joke as my favorite moment in the show.

"And their selection consists solely of these... burgers, of which they are presumably 'king' hehmm?"

is up there with the best lines of the show. that weird chuckle thing at the end is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUxMY77i0q4

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"The seeds. Atop the breading."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

axeil posted:

Even better it was inspired by a real world story in which George Lucas had his staff go and buy him the whole burger king menu.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

"The seeds. Atop the breading."

Billions...of breadings.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Timett posted:

I think my favorite part was the team trying to smile with their top and bottom teeth at the same time.

Yeah, Kumail Nanjiani doing that made him look like he was drawn by the Ren & Stimpy artist.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

axeil posted:

I think you mean Burger Kinggg.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

Spoeank posted:

Mark Cuban has been using his money purchasing, and then trying to pay like crazy to try to win Dallas Mavericks championships.

Also being a loon.

Buying a private jet for $40m just to get a guiness record probably hasn't helped either... And don't forget his failed Avion tequila venture ;)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ultramiraculous posted:

Billions...of breadings.

Cicadas.

zealott
Mar 30, 2004

adrenaline_junket posted:

Buying a private jet for $40m just to get a guiness record probably hasn't helped either... And don't forget his failed Avion tequila venture ;)

I'm not sure anything about Avion is failing.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
It was a smaller moment that easily could have been cut, but the exchange between Richard and Dinesh about the number of staff they needed was incredible. Richard's eventual response to the realization that he's still being yanked around conveyed so much frustration and rage. I love the continuing narrative of the team's personal motivations loving with Richard's goal of trying to run a business.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Gilfoyle changing his number of necessary underlings to 11 because he's a better manager than Dinesh was the real punchline of an incredibly long setup. Martin Starr was great as Bill and Roman, but he kills it here.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

adrenaline_junket posted:

In which I learn Avion is more than just an entourage plot.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Inkspot posted:

Gilfoyle changing his number of necessary underlings to 11 because he's a better manager than Dinesh was the real punchline of an incredibly long setup. Martin Starr was great as Bill and Roman, but he kills it here.

He's also great in the horror-comedy Dead Snow 2, where he plays the leader of a group of nerds who are self-styled zombie hunters.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

that was quick: http://thisguyfucks.com/

:eyepop:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Jake Armitage posted:

People who think Mark Cuban wasn't just lucky are conveniently disregarding the countless others who were in at the same time and lost everything. He's not an idiot, but he also isn't a fortune teller. Many if not most people knew the bubble was going to burst, they just all had different guesses as to when and how it was going to happen.

He even tells the story about how he advised his friends and partners to get out at the same time he was, and they didn't. Whatever was happening at that time, he failed to make a compelling case to them beyond "my gut says exit".

I'd say selling broadcast.com for $5.7 billion would be a pretty clear sign. I'm not going to dig into it, but I'd have to guess he knew that the income of the company was $0 (or whatever it was).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Just came across this random startup generator on Slashdot:
http://tiffzhang.com/startup/
you can tell the pages are fake because of all the women in C-level positions

This was from a couple pages back but I got a good one and wanted to share: http://tiffzhang.com/startup/?s=591575234989.

More on topic, this show is really, really well-written and I can't get enough of it. How long is this season supposed to be?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I believe 10 episodes, up from 8 last year.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

etalian posted:

Even better it was inspired by a real world story in which George Lucas had his staff go and buy him the whole burger king menu.

What's the story behind this? I've tried googling it but haven't come up with anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Probably because George Lucas calls it lunch

(because he's fat)

• Locked thread