Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mukip posted:

You don't really notice when you are playing (so distracted by various things) but I've been re-watching some of these videos and they certainly love their Sigmar.

The Bretonnian shouting is pretty great. The knights shout "For the Lady!" as one and it sounds pretty cool and impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sound design in general in this game is really drat solid. Chaos infantry shout "blood for the blood god" with the last part drawn out really long as they finish a charge.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The second of Saturday's twin updates. This will be the last update in this style, there will be narrated videos and some other minor changes after this.

Turn 13-20

A new rebel force has arisen. They aren't part of the secessionist forces so they must have a totally separate grievance from whatever theirs is. This sort of thing does not reflect well on Brand Franz™. Maybe they are angry at all the hostile armies pillaging their towns and have decided to get in on the action themselves? In any event, it's not just we who have to worry about these rebels; they are liable to attack anybody.

Despite the best efforts of our troops Grunburg is soon captured by the secessionists. Consequently, our trade deals with several factions are broken as Grunburg was a necessary trade route for them. This is especially annoying for our relationship with Talabecland, since we also got a -20 relations event with them on the same turn.

At least with Wissenland in the war on our side, we can expect the secessionists to be worried about a second front. With the powerful city state of Nuln just south of Grunburg, it's likely that the secessionists will focus of defence from now on. It may be that they have been too successful and over-expanded (chroniclers eventually note that Karl Franz seemed increasingly desperate and delusional at this stage).

Something odd happened this turn as the remnants of the Marienburger army are wiped out by the rebels. I guess they were really mad at von Korden, too? He got his rear end kicked that's for sure.

So this is how things stand as of turn 15 or so. Marienburg is still in the game, defying expectations earlier in the thread that it would quickly be crushed by Bretonnia. This is actually really good for us since it means that our horrible setbacks might not prevent Marienburg from being captured later. The reason why I want Marienburg so badly is because it has a very wealthy trade port. Marienburg is so wealthy in fact that it once bribed a previous Emperor with an obscene amount of gold to purchase it's independence, but that guy was an rear end and Emperor Karl Franz does not recognise his treacherous deal.

Stirland has lost it's capital city to the Von Carsteins; Count Haupt-Anderssen only possesses the fairly irrelevant province of The Moot now so things are looking grim for him. We are down to Reikland, having accomplished nothing territorially since the game started over a dozen turns ago...

Yeah I'll bet they are. We don't have the gold to pay for tributes so the gods will just have to stay angry.

At some point Karl ranked up again and we unlocked this new regiment of renown. It's easy to see why Stirlanders would want revenge since they have things even worse than we do. This armour-piercing missile unit will compensate for the loss of my handgunners in case I need that capability. They can be pretty decent character snipers.

Meanwhile in Altdorf, the taverns have been emptied of sodden layabouts. The disgraced offered new commissions. The boys summarily declared men and handed spears. Those with unusually high-pitched voices enrolled without further comment. All are drilled to within a inch of their lives. The Altdorf army has been rebuilt and is ready to march.

The first order of business will be putting a stop to Boris Todbringer's support for the secessionists. Completing this mission will also net us a wizard. It's set up as an ambush against two separate enemy forces, giving us a chance to destroy one and then the other. But our large army could handle both of them anyway. We can't auto-resolve quest battles so I'll have to play it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byMJUkiardw

Crushing victory. We had the numbers for once.

Karl Franz has acquired the services of a battle wizard from the Light College of Magic (he's also dressed as the pope for some reason). There's quite a variety of wizard options for The Empire and the light wizard (as a randomized result) is one of the better ones. Most wizards don't start off being very good, you need to put a few skill points into them before they really get going. For now Konrad will be acting as magical artillery.

The day we all feared has finally arrived. The enemy are at the gates of Altdorf itself. Fortunately, this is not the end but the beginning. Our new armies sallies out for it's first battle.

It's a good time for this important research milestone to have been reached. This tech provides +5 morale to all of our infantry, which negates the morale penalties inflicted by legendary difficulty. Our troops are no longer unusually cowardly.

The rebels have a lot of troops, but so do we. Karl Franz will be able to call upon artillery, knights and elite infantry for this battle whereas the rebels are numerous but qualitatively lacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCVNlyVGGko

Despite bringing a sizeable force, the rebels were outnumbered and outmatched in the largest battle yet. The Luckstone popped up again; Karl will be happy to have that back since it's a pretty useful item.

The rebel remnants are hunted down vengefully in a further battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2-DwEhSCqc

The rebels attempted to hold the high ground, but magical artillery and missile superiority makes it count for nothing.

At the end of turn 20 we don't really have any territory outside of our home city, but we do now have an army worth talking about and the immediate threats have been vanquished. This army must now set out to accomplish what ought to have already been done like 10 turns ago and end the Reikland civil war.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
At least things are finally turning around again.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
No where to go from here but up! :discourse:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This is a good LP! If you're unsure of narrating it maybe just pause the replay occasionally and tell us/write what you are doing and / or reacting to?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Might it be an idea to go for Eihart -> Marienburg then the rest of Reikland? After all, Marienburg not only has the fat stacks of Portmoney, but also, vitally, walls. So it will have a larger garrison and the enemy will have to take time to siege it down, that at least theoretically you won't have to worry as much about when it comes to facing the endless tides of enemy. And Wissenland will be a nice distraction down south.

On the downside, that'll probably annoy the Pretty Borders faction no end.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm pretty sure there's enough angry factions in Reikland already.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Yvonmukluk posted:

All traitors to the Empire deserve their fate :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, I was just making an observation, not dismissing the idea.

Do you have any ideas who among the crop of assholes that are the current bunch of Elector Counts you might want to confederate with, once you're not fighting for your life anymore, or is that too premature? I mean I guess you could get an 'OH GOD WE DON'T WANT TO DIE' confederation from Stirland as freebie, but considering the downsides it seems a terrible idea for the first start. Then again, don't they have Imperial Distrust? I say, let 'em get eaten by vampires! :colbert:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
We don't want to confederate with Warhammer Bavaria/West Virginia anyway. :barf:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Klaus88 posted:

We don't want to confederate with Warhammer Bavaria/West Virginia anyway. :barf:

Confederations are honestly so disruptive in terms of Public Order and Diplomatic Relations that it's better to have no confederation at all than to go for a bad one.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How do you command a group of units to attack the opposite numbers, as opposed to "everyone attack that ONE unit"?

I recall being able to sometimes capture human enemy artillery from the Quest battle- what are the mechanics of doing that? I haven't managed to do it in the later patches.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Comstar posted:

How do you command a group of units to attack the opposite numbers, as opposed to "everyone attack that ONE unit"?

I recall being able to sometimes capture human enemy artillery from the Quest battle- what are the mechanics of doing that? I haven't managed to do it in the later patches.

a) Either press ctrl-g to lock formation or click the little lock symbol in a control group to do the same. You will still want to adjust who each unit is charging against, specially in the flanks of your formation.

b) It is random chance, but you need to have less than 20 units in your army and to eliminate the enemy's artillery unit. You also need to be fighting against your own race. Chance is pretty small though.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Nah i think theres a specific button you should press before you click to attack, like alt-right click or something and they will autotarget stuff in front of them? I can't remember exactly but i remember reading about it

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

Confederations are honestly so disruptive in terms of Public Order and Diplomatic Relations that it's better to have no confederation at all than to go for a bad one.

All it does for Brets is give you a small public order boost. For the Lady!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Grand Prize Winner posted:

All it does for Brets is give you a small public order boost. For the Lady!

Well, you have to waste a bunch of tech time on it.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Yvonmukluk posted:

Do you have any ideas who among the crop of assholes that are the current bunch of Elector Counts you might want to confederate with, once you're not fighting for your life anymore, or is that too premature? I mean I guess you could get an 'OH GOD WE DON'T WANT TO DIE' confederation from Stirland as freebie, but considering the downsides it seems a terrible idea for the first start. Then again, don't they have Imperial Distrust? I say, let 'em get eaten by vampires! :colbert:

Everyone that I wanted to be friend with are getting wrecked and the rest have the aversion diplomatic penalty. So It's going to be a while before amicable relationships can be had with the other imperial factions. The best bet would be Wissenland, I've got good standings with them and their Capital of Nuln is easily defended so close to Reikland.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does being friends with Wissenland give any benefits? They are the home of the Imperial Gunnery School, after all.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Well if you confederate them you can build the Gunnery School at Nuln. It gives a veterancy bonus to artillery which is nice, since artillery really needs veterancy in order to function properly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

That, and I suppose it might be the only way to get back the other cities in Reikland, if Wissenland beats you to the bunch in capturing them. Unless there's some non-violent way of reclaiming cities of which I am unaware.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Yvonmukluk posted:

Unless there's some non-violent way
We could use the secret cheat code of alt-f4, I guess.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
That wouldn't stop the AI from doing things on the campaign map, such as capturing towns in battles that we're not involved in (which is what Yvonmukluk's talking about).

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Turns 21-25

Konrad Boxwhatever levelled up from last turn's battles, but before having him learn more spells we'll get the important "prime mover" skill. This allows him to reduce building costs by 20% in total. It makes a big difference because higher-tier buildings are very expensive. Altdorf was recently upgraded to a larger city so I have lots of building options, but for now I'd rather spend the gold on troops.

As you can see we are losing gold every turn because of the size of our army. But you need to spend money to make money. Thanks to all the battlefield loot from the last couple of turns there's enough gold in the vault to keep the army paid for some time.

Karl Franz leads the army south to Grunburg, only to find that the secessionists aren't around. Perhaps it's proximity to Wissenland made them more cautious. Grunburg is liberated once more.

Karl ranks up again, unlocking two new regiments of renown. These are some of the better ones, too, so I disband some spearmen to make room or them in the army. We also pick up another weapon and throw it in the box labelled "magic swords".

Karl Fanz has a good number of levels on him now. He has one point in the 'Fervent' skill, causing him to cleanse both Chaos and vampiric corruption from provinces he's in. This isn't a big deal now, but later in the game it will start to matter so I'll discuss it then. He also has 3 points in the 'Leader of Renown' skill, reducing recruitment costs. A 15% reduction doesn't seem too great, but it pairs well with the 'Headhunter' skill that I'm working towards which (despite what you'd expect from Warhammer with that sort of name) simply adds veterancy to all newly recruited units. So I'll have Karl be a recruitment factory for cheaper and higher quality troops later in the game.

Karl has also picked up a lot of attributes as a result of all these battles. The best one is 'Confident Attacker'; +5 morale for all units when attacking? Yes, please.

uh huh

This is how things stand at the end of turn 21. The province of Talabecland has been conquered by Ostland, whereas the faction of Talabecland has conquered the entirety of Ostermark and wiped them out. This is all terribly confusing.

Quickly moving on from Grunburg, the next target is Helmgart to the west. This is where the entire secessionist army has been stationed. It's quite large and supported by a town garrison. You can see from the balance of power bar that the computer think we stand no chance... But theres' no turning back. At this stage in the game progress needs to made if we don't want events to spiral beyond our control. On the other hand, because the secessionist forces are stationed within the (unwalled) town, if they lose the battle they will be entirely wiped out (there's no retreating from settlement defences).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TshfOv-iYAI

It was an expensive victory, but we've had worse. With the secessionist army obliterated all of Reikland is left wide open. A pretty cool set of magic armour was found and goes straight onto Karl Franz.

It's not all good news as Stirland is finally wiped out by the Von Carsteins, and a desperate delaying action is made by secessionsist elements inside Helmgart. But although we lose some men to the secessionist captain's attack, it's for too late for that sort of setback to have any substantial effect. The Reikland army wastes no time of marching on the final stronghold of the secessionist, Eilhart. It falls immediately.

Finally! Karl Franz generously funds a victory festival, to be held across Reikland. Perhaps all the free beer will stop them from rebelling constantly. It was a long road back from the bottom after losing our original army to Skarsnik, but now things are much less desperate.

One of our adversaries sees sense and calls it a day. Hochland was an opportunistic foe who has lost interest now that the Emperor's star is rising again. We could use fewer threats to worry about so yes... peace in our time.

But Count Gausser hasn't had enough. We haven't actually fought either of these guys and there's no indication that Nordland's army is about to show up so it's not a big deal for now.

In other new, it's disappointing that the dwarfs of Karak Norn have not made more progress against Skarsnik's greenskins. It seems that while Skarsnik was recovering from his defeat at our hands, Karak Norn was busy fighting Argwylon. Only recently did the dwarfs and wood elves settle their differences and Skarsnik has recovered his strength in the meantime. At least we get another deal and some more gold out of them.

But we are soon reminded that the wars must continue. A Crooked Moon raiding force is spotted heading for Grunburg. It's a small army, but it's led by a pair of melee characters (an Orc Warboss and Goblin Big Boss). It would be a rather ignorable army otherwise, but there's a pair of melee characters in there which do pose a threat, so our treasurer Rupert Taalson is brought out to stiffen the backs of the town garrison. It's only fitting in the Warhammer world that accountants know how to swing a sword. Perhaps they use some sort of skull-based numeracy system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47PgliUGk10

Rupert accounts well for himself, slaying a a very distracted Orc Warboss.

Elsewhere, other threats are stirring...

Apparently the game really doesn't want to give us a drat break. But these orcs may decide to attack somebody else instead.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 26, 2017

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

That's a nice turn around. Must be really nice to have the RoRs, don't know how you win that fight without the tattered souls.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Huzzah! Glory to the Empire!

So, I guess it's time to beat up Marienburg and take all their stuff soon. Are you going to start building a second army to watch your back?

Also, oh dear. You have a border with the Von Carsteins. This is a bad thing.

What level is Franz at, now?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Those Tattered Souls were heroes in that fight. Tanked half that army.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

It can be good for the long run for the empire to go into Sylvania early and raze some cities to slow them down. Having a border with them makes it easier. Their armies are pretty easy to destroy when they're nothing but skeletons and zombies.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Yvonmukluk posted:

Huzzah! Glory to the Empire!

So, I guess it's time to beat up Marienburg and take all their stuff soon. Are you going to start building a second army to watch your back?

What level is Franz at, now?

I already have a second army of Flagellants led by the Arch Lector. Franz is at level 10, iirc.

I'm certainly pondering what to do about the vampires, both Vlad and Mannfred. A raiding campaign against their settlements is certainly a good strategy since I want to hurt them without being lumbered with indefensible and rebellious territory.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Trujillo posted:

It can be good for the long run for the empire to go into Sylvania early and raze some cities to slow them down. Having a border with them makes it easier. Their armies are pretty easy to destroy when they're nothing but skeletons and zombies.

Their armies lead by Vlad & Isabella. Plus all the stuff they started with.

And Marienburg/Nordland up north and Crooked Moon down south.

Good thing Franz has picked up all those positive traits (seriously, dude is incredible).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Comstar posted:

Is this a mechanic introduced in TW: Warhammer? Because the more I look at this game, the more I think all those UI additions would have been so nice to have in Napoleon.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy hell those Tattered Souls and Silver Bullets were the clear MVPs.

Were the Sigmar's Sons the ones who received that giant wave of enemy bullets you pointed out at the start? RIP

edit: Wait, the Successionists are dead right? So does that mean we can just run up and resecure all the stuff we lost and then make a push for Marienburg?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 27, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artificer posted:

Holy hell those Tattered Souls and Silver Bullets were the clear MVPs.

Were the Sigmar's Sons the ones who received that giant wave of enemy bullets you pointed out at the start? RIP

edit: Wait, the Successionists are dead right? So does that mean we can just run up and resecure all the stuff we lost and then make a push for Marienburg?

I think they already have. After all Reikland is now finally united.

Also mudkip could we get a count of the all the factions that have been eliminated thus far.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
The narrated videos definitely help, at least for me. As someone who's very new to this game/series and struggling to get his Dwarf campaign off the ground, it helps to see someone who knows what they're doing explain why various mechanics work a certain way.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Thanks for adding the narration! I really appreciate it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also mudkip could we get a count of the all the factions that have been eliminated thus far.

Oh right.

Thanks for the narration too! It helps a lot.

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg
Yes this LP keeps improving :swoon:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dmar posted:

Yes this LP keeps improving :swoon:

Agreed. This was already a good LP, now it's getting real interesting.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
bouncing back like a champion!

fuckin 5d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

MonsterEnvy posted:

So far I believe it's just Stirland, Ostermark and the Skullsmashers that have been destroyed.

Checking the replay, Sigmar's Son attempted to assault some crossbowsman, but the the crossbows ran away while a bunch of other missile units poured fire into the SS (as Sigmar's Sons were affectionately known).

Mukip fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 27, 2017

• Locked thread