Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well he's going to have to be super angry to out angry Dick, Hank and Jason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Quincyh posted:

Right, right, but... Krypto the Superdog definitely the most interesting thing here.

Yeah I think that's a genetically (or otherwise) altered dog, as opposed to a doggie straight outta Krypton.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I hope Krypto and Gar get along.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
There were only 11 episodes? Kept looking for the new one past few days but that was it. What a bizarre episode to end it on really did not feel like a finale. I like this show but man did it have a terrible time finding its feet. I hope they can clean up the jank next season if there will be one.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 31, 2018

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

shirunei posted:

There were only 11 episodes? Kept looking for the new one past few days but that was it. What a bizarre episode to end it on really did not feel like a finale. I like this show but man did it have a terrible time finding its feet. I hope they can clean up the jank next season if there will be one.

From earlier in the thread:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Reportedly they completely cut out two filmed episodes during post-production, including the original episode twelve. There are pictures / clips floating around of Starfire and Raven teaming up with different looks, and a sequence with Starfire on her crashing spaceship.

https://screenrant.com/titans-season-finale-became-premiere/

Oh hey, they're moving a lot of that material to the start of next season. wtf. If it's done, just show it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

So the SA consensus is that this isn’t horrible? I’ve heard not great things from a friend who watched it and I’ve sort of dismissed it as the pendulum swinging back towards grimdark to appease all the nerds who (wrongly) complain that Teen Titans Go is childish and bad compared to their precious fake anime. I obviously loved the original series so maybe I’ll check it out. Especially if the Doom Patrol spin-off means the guy in my avatar will show up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s so self-consciously dark and gritty that I’m halfway convinced it’s a brilliant parody.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's not horrible. There are a lot of good bits, but the plotting is all over the place, and there's basically no building to the finale, which was kind of a wet fart.

I give the first season a C, all in all. Watch the first few episodes and see if you like it, but don't feel bad if it doesn't catch you. I'm looking forward to the next season based on the potential it has, but they really need to figure out what kind of story they're trying to tell if it's gonna stick around.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's incredibly weird. It's at once ludicrously grim 'n' gritty, and all-in on comic book cameos and the DC universe being shown rather than gently alluded to. Robin is a murderous vigilante serial killer who ~loses control~ when he puts on the mask, but he talks about Batman all the time, the costume is faithful, he hangs out with Jason Todd, etc. Starfire is an alien called Koriand'r from the planet Tamaran, and has the goofy purple hair and outfit, but also she's a cold-blooded amnesiac killer who burns people to death and laughs about it.

I enjoyed it. It's kinda bad and stupid, but it's popcorny. Occasionally the dialogue is so canned you can say it before the characters do. Other times, it's genuinely pretty smart and fun.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Plus it has Thad Castle in it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Plus it has Thad Castle in it.

gimme a HAWK

gimme a MANNNNNNNN

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's like your average CW show with better production value and characters who don't turn incredibly unlikeable.

The writing is edgy in a Snyder way, not a very profound one.

It's basically bad the way people predicted, but the budget seems super high compared to what you're used to for a live-action DC show with passable colourgrading. It just keeps throwing DC characters at you, and there's not much time for any character development - for better or worse. The A-plot is also bad, but it's mostly in the background until you're reminded of it.

It also has probably the worst TV wig of all time. You'll know when you see it.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I have enjoyed it and think the criticisms are valid, look forward to season 2 but season 1 finale was both interesting concept but made the main plot moot.

The most immersion breaking thing for me was Dawn saying her mum had afternoon tea everyday, trust me no-one except maybe the Queen has time for that poo poo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Titans is casting for Slade, Ravager and Jericho.

https://thegww.com/titans-deathstroke-and-ravager-to-join-jericho-in-season-two-of-dc-series/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hazo posted:

So the SA consensus is that this isn’t horrible? I’ve heard not great things from a friend who watched it and I’ve sort of dismissed it as the pendulum swinging back towards grimdark to appease all the nerds who (wrongly) complain that Teen Titans Go is childish and bad compared to their precious fake anime. I obviously loved the original series so maybe I’ll check it out. Especially if the Doom Patrol spin-off means the guy in my avatar will show up.

If you like Arrow and aren't averse to violence and cursing, you'll dig this.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This stupid chick keeps leaking images, she's leaked about 3 or 4 so far.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ufarn posted:

It's like your average CW show with better production value and characters who don't turn incredibly unlikeable.

The writing is edgy in a Snyder way, not a very profound one.

It's basically bad the way people predicted, but the budget seems super high compared to what you're used to for a live-action DC show with passable colourgrading. It just keeps throwing DC characters at you, and there's not much time for any character development - for better or worse. The A-plot is also bad, but it's mostly in the background until you're reminded of it.

It also has probably the worst TV wig of all time. You'll know when you see it.

Yeah, the main plot is this near-parody of a 2000s puzzle box show, replete with characters giving each other cryptic warnings and saying things like, "I don't know...but it's important." It does at least go somewhere by the end of the season.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rocksicles posted:

This stupid chick keeps leaking images, she's leaked about 3 or 4 so far.

Surely they're going to stop using her if she doesn't wise up?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Surely they're going to stop using her if she doesn't wise up?

She's removed all images, but the damage was done, it was her that leaked Donna's costume.
She's probably gone.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Phylodox posted:

It’s so self-consciously dark and gritty that I’m halfway convinced it’s a brilliant parody.

Eh. I kinda agree with this. At some level, I'm pretty sure this is meant to be a commentary about how superheroes are basically just another shade of gangster. The protagonists maim, torture and kill more people than the "bad guys", and the violence is always extra hammed-up when they do it.

But then they keep trying to humanize what are basically a pack of psychopaths, or try and make some kind of arbitrary contrast in the violence. "Look, the heroes torture people by beating them, but the villains do Nazi medical crimes." It's like the show is trying to be Mandy, but got stuck also trying to take itself seriously.

On the parody front, the Netflix thumbnail is of a wide-eyed Robin looking like little-Johnny-serial-killer-just-murdered-his-first-victim, so that does kinda weigh in favour of that.

PS: this isn't exactly a spoiler, and should probably be clear from all the various reviews, but this show tries harder than Game of Thrones on the gratuitous torture and violence front. If this is your thing, I guess you might enjoy it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Phenotype posted:

I still have no idea why they put in 45 minutes about Hawk and then ignored him completely for the rest of the season.

Yeah, this annoyed me, mainly because they spent a whole episode trying to get the viewer to care about Hawk and Dove, just so we'd feel something when they put Dove in a coma / seemed to kill her off at the end of the episode.. It felt contrived and cheap.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Titans spinoff series, Doom Patrol premieres this Friday. Don't know if you can tell but I'm excited.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

The Titans spinoff series, Doom Patrol premieres this Friday. Don't know if you can tell but I'm excited.

The promo for it looks really good. A bit more light hearted at first glance and matches the tone of the Titans episode. Idk why Cyborg is part of the team though. He fits, I guess, but I'm used to him generally punching at a higher weight class than the Doom Patrol and I wonder how his canon origin will mesh with the new show

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Beast Boy left the Doom Patrol for the Titans, why wouldn't Cyborg too? Launch in one series, join another.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

The promo for it looks really good. A bit more light hearted at first glance and matches the tone of the Titans episode. Idk why Cyborg is part of the team though. He fits, I guess, but I'm used to him generally punching at a higher weight class than the Doom Patrol and I wonder how his canon origin will mesh with the new show

I expect Timothy Dalton will add some gravitas to the shenanigans.

Really stoked for this, I've been hoping for live-action DP for a long time; the cast is pretty great and the producers & writers seem keen to depict some of Grant Morrison's zaniness.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 14, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Space Fish posted:

Beast Boy left the Doom Patrol for the Titans, why wouldn't Cyborg too? Launch in one series, join another.

Beast Boy was originally introduced in Doom Patrol and was part of their team in the early days so it makes sense to connect him that way. Cyborg doesn't have that connection which it's why it stuck out

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yo this Doom Patrol show is pretty good. Also should we ask muscles to make this a general DC Universe thread or does someone wanna make a new thread just for DP (imo the former would make more sense)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Make this a general DCUniverse thread. Young Justice doesn't have a thread either and it'd probably fit more with that thread than in the General Kids Show thread.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I'm all for including Doom Patrol into the Titans thread, seeing as how one spawned the other they are likely to stay connected in the future as well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Timothy Dalton is always a delight.

DC Daily showed some footage of Cyborg, looks pretty legit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk_DkVPWawk

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 16, 2019

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I liked the first episode. Brendan Fraser is hysterical.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
“More TV superheroes. Just what the world needs”, says Nobody. Ever one to break the 4th wall. "Critics. What do they know. They're gonna hate this show".

Loved that first episode. I'm so accustomed to disappointing adaptations and this was better than I anticipated.

The whole cast is great. Alan Tudyk narrating as Mr Nobody was such a brilliant choice, and depicting the Notional Man was never going to be easy but he carries it off.

In the bigger picture view, this show is not at all like Titans’ grimdark realism and vicious violence. The writers and director aim for the playful surrealism of Grant Morrison's source material. Rather than trying to bring superheroes into our world like Titans, the episode pulls us into their comic book existence, where anything can (and probably will) happen. And unlike Robin/Dick Grayson and Cyborg, they're not crime fighters.

I also liked that the first 40 minutes were to get everyone's backstory, although The Chief is still a cypher. It was good to get all that out of the way in one go, so the oddness (and further character introductions) can expand.
And, after their disastrous field trip, just like in Titans I expect a super-powers training montage soon.

Some of the visual are lifted right off the comic page, and many are improved. I was dreading the Negative Spirit was going to be an actor in a black body stocking with some CG aura or glow. This is way better than my feeble imagination:

In an interview Diane Geurrero said she read the comics before the script and she does seem to have a good handle on Jane's mercurial character. The scene with The Hangman's Daughter painting in the rain was lifted right off the comic book page.

And another one of her personalities got an HD graphics upgrade.

And I'll end now with the DP family prayer

So...when can we start talking about Catastrophe Theory?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 17, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have a nitpick or two about Doom Patrol:
- I'd really have preferred to see Jane's personality changes portrayed just by acting instead of having a special effect signal each change. The point was always that she's legit and realistically mentally ill, the effect makes the changes themselves seem like a superpower. Plus I think I'd feel a bit put out as an actor, like my performance wasn't good enough.
- the timeframe of these folks dating back to the 1950s and spending 20-60 years cooped up in that house together feels much too long. That's a "secret history of the world", Planetary kind of timeframe.

But it's a good debut and I'm keen to see where it goes! I was a bit worried it wouldn't be weird enough and honestly I still am but the way episode 1 ended shows at least someone on the show definitely has the right idea.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's a time of Peak TV for me, there's psilocybin on Star Trek and

If you want more Grant Morrison inspired weirdness you could check out season 1 of Happy! with Chris Meloni and Patton Oswalt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7OYkSgmM-w

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 17, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I liked Happy! a lot, but didn't think it felt much like Morrison's particular brand (but neither did the comic). The donkey and the whole meta commentary are much more in that vein, each in their own way.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's three more shows slated to be released on the new streaming service: Swamp Thing, Star Girl and Harley Quinn. Having a proper DC Universe thread to fit all of them probably won't be too big an issue.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

There's three more shows slated to be released on the new streaming service: Swamp Thing, Star Girl and Harley Quinn. Having a proper DC Universe thread to fit all of them probably won't be too big an issue.
I'm living for this.

Not just Swamp Thing, they're adapting Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing, which makes it more than a man who transforms into a plant-thing and could include the Parliament of Trees and that epic elemental story.
I hope they bring Matt Ryan over to continue playing Constantine.

These are exciting times, the fans of great classic titles of the late 80s / early 90s are now in position (and have the tech) to adapt them for the small screen.
No studio would gamble the money to make a big-screen version of The Painting That Ate Paris, and a network couldn't pull millions of weekly viewers for these oddball stories, but streaming services need new content and are willing to take chances.

Makes me wonder where Green Lantern will turn up (and who will wear the ring), whether in the Justice League movie, the Arrowverse, or DC Universe so he can be involved in out-there galactic stories.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 18, 2019

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Binary Logic posted:

Makes me wonder where Green Lantern will turn up (and who will wear the ring), whether in the Justice League movie, the Arrowverse, or DC Universe so he can be involved in out-there galactic stories.

We already know that, it’s Diggle from Earth 90.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Phylodox posted:

We already know that, it’s Diggle from Earth 90.

I say make it a plot arc for our diggle next season of Arrow and then spin him off onto his own Arrowverse show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What was the line, "Where's the ring, John?" or something like that. I admit I forgot about it.

The Lord Bude posted:

I say make it a plot arc for our diggle next season of Arrow and then spin him off onto his own Arrowverse show

That would be a brave and bold move. Tie it in to the next big crossover story and then launch GL from the consequences of whatever mess Flash makes of the multiple universes.