Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:nsavince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

everything is boxed up and I'm gonna ship it today :dance:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I've acquired the humorous part of my gift, now awaiting the Real Part. Stay strong Santee.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

ADINSX posted:

everything is boxed up and I'm gonna ship it today :dance:

Its shipped! My santee should expect it December 19th. :dance:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
something thats shipping directly from the printer to santee will arrive after xmas probbably . should get my box out this week

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
forgot to say i shipped everything this afternoon

mad rush after all this careful planning and I forgot to put any indication of yosmas cheer beyond the inherent goodness of the gifts and obvious a forethought

santee it's in two parts one will be quick the other a day or so behind

guy said he was emailing me the tracking number once they packaged the oddly shaped bit ($$$)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:woop: I GOT MY YOSMAS PACKAGE, ALL THE WAY FROM NORWAY! :woop:

Thanks Tankakern!

Mail delivery lady: "Are you, uh, 'Doc Block'?" LMAO

:w00t:

Holy moly, a lot of good poo poo!

For hacking the planet.

Løiten Aquavit. Tried some and it's p dece! Will deffo help me get drunk later.

Some kind of Norwegian lifestyle or fashion magazine. :tipshat:

Whoah, really?

Nope, LMAO :laffo:

Gotta keep those Z's at bay

Norwegian chocolate. Tasty!

Now I'll be an expert on this Hip Hop Operating System :dance:

Some sort of AMD Athlon 64 [img_amd-more-cores.jpg]

Best of all: a laptop with FreeBSD installed that boots to some kind of game emulator. Screen got damaged during shipping :( but I have a monitor that I can hook up to it if I can find the right cable.

A very good YOSMAS indeed! :megadeath:

Thanks Tankakern, you're awesome!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

neat, it finally arrived!

oh god what did they do to the poor laptop, i did pad the thing with bubble wrap too... oh well, shucks.. i see someone selling a gutted d430 on ebay for like $15, so if you want to have a use for it it's possible at least! if i remember right, it's updated with some sort of ssd-over-zif (1.8") and more ram than standard, so it should be a ~power house~ of an d430 :p

sorry for not including the actual rx480 :p used the box as padding, could've filled the box with old gpus but i guess that would amount to using yosmas as a recycling plant

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Tankakern posted:

i guess that would amount to using yosmas as a recycling plant

... filed under "yosmas'19 gift ideas"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
shipping out my package 2nite

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

neat, it finally arrived!

oh god what did they do to the poor laptop, i did pad the thing with bubble wrap too...

it doesn’t look like it in the photo, but the box was pretty well crushed and falling apart. one corner was completely torn, with the aquavit nearly falling out LOL

quote:

sorry for not including the actual rx480 :p used the box as padding, could've filled the box with old gpus but i guess that would amount to using yosmas as a recycling plant

it’s OK LOL 👍

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
lmao i'm guessing that pranke usps "Terry Tate will block your mail" service I signed up for... wasn't a pranke after all, and Terry body checked my yosmas gift all the way back to sender

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am a tremendous dipshit and I didn’t get all the gifts to arrive before I left town for the holidays so my santee will get a shipping notice on the 30th when I get back.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

lmao i'm guessing that pranke usps "Terry Tate will block your mail" service I signed up for... wasn't a pranke after all, and Terry body checked my yosmas gift all the way back to sender

:siren: package delivered :siren:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I hope it arrives today, please let me know santee, I lost the shipping receipt but they said the 19th

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
apparently this was box attempt #2, and it sure smelled like it. some of the packing material was clearly up too late partying! you could smell the whiskey on its breath

a lovely hand written letter. your handwriting is much better than mine

(1) beverage: a lovely bottle with a lovely glass. can't wait to try it

(2) local foods: the jalapeno jerkey is good! I'm saving the other jerkey for emergencies

(1) documentary of my life: yes, there are many aliens in my line of work. all these new blockchain startups here in san francisco can't get H1Bs anymore so they turned to the next best thing

(1) terrifying deceit: the cat is out of the bag. I feel adequately betrayed. CrazyLittlest will likely enjoy this bag.

some DVDs

Thank you Santa! this is an awesome gift and I'm grinning ear to ear

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: a box and a tube came in

put the note aside per instructions

box contained shirt and 3 wrapped gifts!

i know ive seen this movie but i was very drunk and do not remember anything about it other than it has vampires and jovovich cant act. now i can rewatch it!

lmao is the the one where master chief jacks it in the suit

time to break out my ti-83+ to write some basic programs!

yo where the nutat?

tube contained a Hackers poster which is def going up on my wall

the note

thanks a ton ADINSX!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Kuvo posted:

yo where the nutat?

In the halo book :dong:

glad it all made it there in one piece!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Kuvo posted:

i know ive seen this movie but i was very drunk and do not remember anything about it other than it has vampires and jovovich cant act. now i can rewatch it!

haha this movie is fun imo, it's worth it just for the villain

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

equilibrium had JUST come out and its like they watched that and said "what if that scene when he's surrounded by bad guys, but the whole movie".

I think it even happened multiple times in equilibrium, they out equilibrium-ed equilibrium.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

(1) beverage: a lovely bottle with a lovely glass. can't wait to try it

this hooch got some kick to it :) thanks again Achmed Jones

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Kuvo posted:

tube contained a Hackers poster which is def going up on my wall

:captainpop:

Thats awesome

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

(1) documentary of my life: yes, there are many aliens in my line of work. all these new blockchain startups here in san francisco can't get H1Bs anymore so they turned to the next best thing

book reading counter: 7 times so far

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

equilibrium had JUST come out and its like they watched that and said "what if that scene when he's surrounded by bad guys, but the whole movie".

I think it even happened multiple times in equilibrium, they out equilibrium-ed equilibrium.

ultraviolet was written and directed by kurt wimmer, the same dude who wrote and directed equilibrium.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Doc Block posted:

ultraviolet was written and directed by kurt wimmer, the same dude who wrote and directed equilibrium.

oh wow so its literally like that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

explains a lot & I love both those movies lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

a package arrived!

extremely impressed that it reached me before the 24th (which for us is the main event, christmas evening, in norway/scandinavia), given the slowness of posten norge

brøderbund!!! awesome

a letter appears

a fancy dog!

sounds very neat, indeed! let's look further

a raspberry pi, with a case and an sd card! :o

a voice hat, a voice hat microphone, a speaker, a 4 pin button and cables for connecting it!

:o best cover art ever

mystery cd and vintage red hat! cool

aaaaaaaaa awesome

popping the rpi into my monitor

is that openrc i see?!

hmm what's the login

oh there was a cd, that's right, the letter mentioned that

ah! awesome

*hacker voice* im in

this was awesome, el dorito, thank you!

really looking forward to trying out the printshop cd and the creative children melodies cd! i'm guessing it'll be a hit :P have to post a follow-up, but i guess it'll be after new years...

and thanks for all the effort giving me the gift of gentoo on a raspberry pi, it worked nicely :D now i have to find a cool project with that speaker and button!

merry christmas from norway!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

merry christmas from norway!

Happy to hear it all made it unscathed! I had BIG BIG plans to install mplayer, create a systemd service to start on boot, and use directfb to play 火車. And cool variants thereof.

But then I spent way too much time on provisioning the initial sd card and realized that I needed to get the package out soon for christmas so that you can get started on compiling stuff while the holidays are going.

Anyways, my initial investigations have mentioned that the pinouts for raspberry pi 3, pi zero, and the pi 1b+ are the same. So with any luck, you may be able to use the components for something or just use them for another SBC.

I was very close to sending you the $9 sbc from a defunct manufacturer but it’s not working. Might need to be flashed but all of that work would exceed the time I had :smith:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

funny enough, gentoo’s prebuilt stage3 for the raspberry pi doesn’t come with systemd

Which is both a blessing and a curse. I would have probably spent more time if I knew that I was going to experiment more with systemd, but I would have probably shipped on the 31st.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

isn't that system constantly one single emerge command away from wearing out the microsd card :haw:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nice! i shall consider it a blank canvas for me to emerge on :P

i think you can get a few years out of the sd card even if you're emerging, but you should keep backups :p as far as i know, they're more sensitive to heat

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I got a package today :dance:

The note implied that it was one of n packages so I'm going to wait for the rest before I post it

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

O.
M.
G.

Santa this was awesome. I'm sick as hell but I took a shittone of pics I'll post in the am. :holymoley:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Alright here we go........

What's this?

OMG

Hrmm there's a note

wife asked if this was printed on a dot matrix printer, then said 'probably' and left the room

The new YOSTOP (hell yes)

details below

This amazing book

holy poo poo its cyperbunk as gently caress, this is amazing

OMG great picks

doggo approves

Lego (its plural)

I already let him open one of them and its amazing

Doggie Treats

Normally he doesn't like hard dog treats (unless they're CBD) but he loves these, great choice!

:frogsiren: YOSTOP :frogsiren:

Let's boot her up

:allears: my nostalgia :allears:

Let's see whats on here

banime but it doesn't work

no idea what this is

I can't find where the CD is on the drive? It's not in the game installer folder :(

HELL YES, Haven't tested it yet but my eldest is very excited to try it

OH HELL YES

Seriously Kuvo this is amazing, thanks for everything!!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

merry Xmas eve eve, yospos posters

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
yeah

i really hope my santee gets the stuff today at least some

been waiting on sms from usps and i guess everyone there is dead

can't blame em tho

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

awesome, im glad it made it there without the beer (or laptop battery) exploding. honestly surprised i was able to get win98 running on that thing. problems encountered included

- no cd drive, so i had to format the HD via a linux live thumbdrive then transfer the install files to the HD. linux however did a bad job with the MBT so scandisk freaks out about it all the time
- getting the "less than 16mb memory" error while doing the install. some command switches fixed that
- having to reboot into the linux live thumdrive after install so i could copy some third party win98 usb mass storage drivers onto it, to get thumbdrives to work
- acquiring and figuring out how to install the 3rd party vid drivers on there to get something higher than 640x480 16bit color (the display is 1024x600 wtf)
- installing the network drivers which didnt work and crashed on boot (theyre disabled though msconfig)
- spending hours looking around for sound drivers, which i am convinced at this point dont exist
- installing (then uninstalling) several games that did not run well (or just crashed the system)

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I can't find where the CD is on the drive? It's not in the game installer folder

there should be a folder on the root of the HD named "transfers" or something that has the game ISOs in a subfolder. use daemon tools to mount them

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

holy poo poo yostop was sned ?? :eyepop:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm hugely ashamed of my gift this year, now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001