Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I have an all-or-nothing mindset too. I'm currently having the longest success of my life by being 100% measured and strict on weekdays and then just free to do whatever on weekends. It's more than the cheat day or cheat meal that people recommend, but it's bonkers good for my long-term motivation. It helps because 2 days a week of relaxing on food also makes it so that my brain doesn't want to completely binge. Most weekends, I just naturally end up eating a pretty moderate amount, even with no rules.

For me, my #1 goal over the past year has been "to not stop", and I really mean that - and this setup has made that easy. I believe I could actually do this for the next few decades. I have like a handful of "menus" that I pre-make for lunch each week - and now that they're all made and counted, it's just really easy week-to-week to replicate. I'll keep making new ones, idk, make a little booklet or something. The basic point here is that it's a moderation technique for people that can't moderate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

pentyne posted:

Instead of gorging yourself on fried chicken, cheeseburgers, fried wings for one day, spread it out during the week. A single cheese burger is 300-500 calories assuming meat, cheese, bun, and not a half cup of mayo or bacon. Dumped the fried for baked, portion it out etc. Reveling in bad eating habits 1x a week will undo a lot of accomplishment.

Because otherwise if you're plan is hugely restrict calories, gorge yourself on day 7 I can't really see that working. The only people who have 10,000 calorie cheat days are the people working out 3 hours a day.

Nah it wouldn't be a 10,000 calorie cheat day. Closer to maybe 3,000 calories; 2,400 of which would come from one big meal at a restaurant or with take out with the family.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
There is a weight loss thread in YLLS too for those who may be interested. I posted my intro!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908764&pagenumber=27&perpage=40

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Nah it wouldn't be a 10,000 calorie cheat day. Closer to maybe 3,000 calories; 2,400 of which would come from one big meal at a restaurant or with take out with the family.

That's still a terrible idea and your stomach is going to try and kill you from the sudden surge of grease, meat and starch after 6 days of nutritional sugar drink.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

You’ll find even that will be hard. That’s one of the nice things about fasting is that when you do try and eat like a pig it’s loving difficult.

I just finished a 72 hour fast and ordered out a gyro platter from the Mediterranean place. I was so painfully full after half I had to throw it away. I’ve finished that same order before a dozen times.

I know your stomach doesn’t literally shrink but it really loving resets that “I’m full” barometer

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Bum the Sad posted:

You’ll find even that will be hard. That’s one of the nice things about fasting is that when you do try and eat like a pig it’s loving difficult.

I just finished a 72 hour fast and ordered out a gyro platter from the Mediterranean place. I was so painfully full after half I had to throw it away. I’ve finished that same order before a dozen times.

I know your stomach doesn’t literally shrink but it really loving resets that “I’m full” barometer

I think this is true ime as well. Maybe there is something to be said for starting out weight loss progress with a fast for this reason. Even if you don't keep fasting it can help you be less hungry or get full quicker going forward.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Put the platter in the fridge and eat it tomorrow :psyduck:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Goodpancakes posted:

Lol I just did this with half my chipotle bowl i had for lunch

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Goodpancakes posted:

No, I'm fasting for another 72

Well it's actually a rum fast. I consume only rum, instead of like slimfast like the OP.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
It's actually a really great diet plan

The way I've worked it out is

Night 1: Rum
Night 2: Rum
Night 3: Rum and food

Then just keep repeating that cycle.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

What actually is Slimfast? I know it's a "meal replacement", but how does it actually differ from mixing protein powder and milk or water? I could see "shake for breakfast, shake for lunch, and a sensible dinner" working in the days before we had nutrition labels everywhere and we could really count calories on MFP, but does it really do anything other than that?

Bum the Sad posted:

Back in university during my >300lb days, I would've had no problem getting a pack of cookies or muffins or something from a grocery store bakery.
My 215lb 33-year-old self has now been conditioned to buy anything more than a chocolate bar or ice cream cone as an occasional treat. If I don't buy it, I don't have access to it when I get the craving. Now that I'm working from home for the immediate future, I don't have to worry about being tempted by someone bringing in "treats" from the office. Not exactly a great replacement for not being able to go the gym, but it's something.

I also realized if I cut most sweets from my diet, not only did I have less cravings for sweet food, my tastebuds also reset and I started enjoying eating other things. I credit my whisky appreciation to my weight loss.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I went from 385 to 200 with the help of our very own SwolePT and a lot of hard work and elbowgrease, but according to other people in my life who are trying to lose weight moving around more and eating a balanced diet and no sugary drinks doesn't work unless you're already in good shape and besides fat peoples genes are more suited to being stationary and storing lots of carbs anyway, that way they don't have to eat as much when they go to hibernate, and the fat will just fall off them. Then we'll see who's laughing.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Nastyman posted:

I went from 385 to 200 with the help of our very own SwolePT and a lot of hard work and elbowgrease, but according to other people in my life who are trying to lose weight moving around more and eating a balanced diet and no sugary drinks doesn't work unless you're already in good shape and besides fat peoples genes are more suited to being stationary and storing lots of carbs anyway, that way they don't have to eat as much when they go to hibernate, and the fat will just fall off them. Then we'll see who's laughing.

How do I hibernate?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Nigmaetcetera posted:

How do I hibernate?

Plug up your butt with pine needles and close your eyes until winter is over.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

wait pine NEEDLES?

oh my god i was told CONES

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Nastyman posted:

Plug up your butt with pine needles and close your eyes until winter is over.

poo poo, Ill need to relocate to the Southern Hemisphere for this one because spring ain’t even over here.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nigmaetcetera posted:

No I was about 340. I was regularly binging to maintain that weight on account of being severely depressed, though, and switching from an all cinnamon roll and ice cream diet to an all white meat chicken and hot sauce diet took care of it. The amphetamines probably didnt hurt either. I did this all under a doctor’s supervision. Ill probably do it again, but not so extreme.

Gotta get me them doctor-prescribed amphetamines they sound dope

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Gotta get me them doctor-prescribed amphetamines they sound dope

Naw they’re no good, they replace all your bad feelings with good ones, make you completely confident like you always should have been, enhance your libido and sexual pleasure massively, make you skinny and sexy, and prevent premature ejaculation. You don’t want any part of that horrible darkness!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

What actually is Slimfast? I know it's a "meal replacement", but how does it actually differ from mixing protein powder and milk or water? I could see "shake for breakfast, shake for lunch, and a sensible dinner" working in the days before we had nutrition labels everywhere and we could really count calories on MFP, but does it really do anything other than that?

A normal slimfast shake is

Fat
5 g
Carbs
25 g
Fiber
5 g
Protein
10 g

Plus a bunch of mico nutrients.

It's mostly designed as a mid day filler to keep people from eating large meals 3x a day. Drinking it as a your only source of food is not a good idea.

When solyent debut and all the techbros fell in love with it as the solution to the waste of time of buying and eating food it started the discussion about liquid meals. The inventor nearly killed himself when he tried to develop the recipe because he added way to much of one vitamin.

All the rational people pointed out that liquid nutrition has existed as a thing for decades for infirm or medically incapacitated people and soylent was at best overpaying for basic human nutrition but the tech bros said it was the end of solid food tyranny and embraced it as the second coming.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I work 16 hours a day. You're supposed to sleep 8 hours a day. When am I exactly supposed to exercise? I also have to fit in showering, shaving, and talking to my wife.

Speaking of which, she thinks this is a terrible idea but knows my personality and also knows this is the only way I will lose weight. However, she proposed a slight modification to my stupid experiment: every 7th day eat solid foods and eat whatever I want. I'm big on fried chicken, chicken wings, cheeseburgers, garbage like that. So she said every 7 days I should eat all that poo poo. This way, my body will at least get some carbs/protein, and I'm not going to really put on that much weight (if any) by eating like poo poo once a week and then having 420 calories the rest of the week. Plus it will be like a "treat" or "light at the end of the tunnel" every week, making me more likely to stick with the Slim Fast shakes the other 6 days.

I am contemplating it. I could really go for some habanero wings right about now.

Got it. Not gonna exercise but going to add fried foods.

I'm curious about this 112 hour a week job you have. If you are honestly (you aren't) working that many hours it could be a massive contributing factor to all of this. It also begs the question: Why do you want to lose weight in the first place? If you are locked into an infinite string of 16 hour work days you don't really have work/life balance at all, so who cares about the weight? I'm so confused by all of this.

Additionally, I can do nothing but roll my eyes when anyone says they have an "all or nothing attitude" towards something. It typically means they will do all of what they want to do and none of what they should do. An actual "all or nothing" type of person would be cleaning out their fridge, buying a rowing machine, and seeking professional medical advice. They would be changing it all. I'm getting serious Scott Adams vibes from OP.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

When solyent debut and all the techbros fell in love with it as the solution to the waste of time of buying and eating food it started the discussion about liquid meals. The inventor nearly killed himself when he tried to develop the recipe because he added way to much of one vitamin.

Also their first warehouse was rat-infested because no one involved had food experience.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Dude if you lose 100 lbs too fast you are going to hate your loving body. You'll look like that X-Man with extra skin everywhere, I think his name was Skin. Do it slow like you're supposed to so your skin has time to tighten up.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Grem posted:

Dude if you lose 100 lbs too fast you are going to hate your loving body. You'll look like that X-Man with extra skin everywhere, I think his name was Skin. Do it slow like you're supposed to so your skin has time to tighten up.

if only anyone ever in 6 previous pages had thought of this repeatedly and brought it up multiple times and talked about it over and over in various ways and the OP even responded to it a few times so there was some previous insight on this exact subject as it pertains to them right in this very thread

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

if only anyone ever in 6 previous pages had thought of this repeatedly and brought it up multiple times and talked about it over and over in various ways and the OP even responded to it a few times so there was some previous insight on this exact subject as it pertains to them right in this very thread

yeah but if he loses weight too fast he'll have extra skin

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

Is that actually how that works? Or is it that you get fat to the point it ain't going back to the way it was ever? I think age plays a role too?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Really just curious about this 16 hour work day leaving only time for sleep and to wave at the wife from a reasonable distance.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

The_Continental posted:

yeah but if he loses weight too fast he'll have extra skin

I heard you'll have loose skin if you lose weight too
fast

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I lost 10 pounds and now I cant see or walk due to the great, Shar Pei-like sheaves of skin covering my eyes and impeding the movement of my limbs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

age plays a role too

Is pretty much what any doctor will say about anything. Really, just going off random internet people for advice about health and fitness is helpful to get informed about the basics but the idea of not ever seeing a doctor to get a baseline of health and fitness is like trying to build a model by throwing away the directions and hoping you just "get" it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

pentyne posted:

Is pretty much what any doctor will say about anything. Really, just going off random internet people for advice about health and fitness is helpful to get informed about the basics but the idea of not ever seeing a doctor to get a baseline of health and fitness is like trying to build a model by throwing away the directions and hoping you just "get" it.

OP's spectrum disorder makes him a prime candidate for someone who can put a model together without the instructions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The_Continental posted:

OP's spectrum disorder makes him a prime candidate for someone who can put a model together without the instructions.

Yeah but he's outright ignoring all the advice so he's basically trying to speed run it while blindfolded and insisting it's the only way possible.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Yeah but he's outright ignoring all the advice so he's basically trying to speed run it while blindfolded and insisting it's the only way possible.

He is almost perfectly following the classic Goon in the Well playbook, and is about 2/3 of the way through:

An Ancient Goon posted:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Can we start pissin'?

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I lost 50 pounds last year on the diet he suggested and I'm not dead. I didn't use slumfast but had similar calorie intake

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Dong Quixote posted:

He is almost perfectly following the classic Goon in the Well playbook, and is about 2/3 of the way through:

It's missing the final line, "why are you guys pissing on me :( ?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

grill youre saelf posted:

I lost 50 pounds last year on the diet he suggested and I'm not dead. I didn't use slumfast but had similar calorie intake

People have done massive calorie restriction diets before and they worked. They even think that people with adult onset diabetes can cure it in a few years by doing it.

The difference is they ate a very specific amount of food and nutrition and they would see doctors to make sure they were healthy, not slurping down coma patient food and then gorging on fast food once a week.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bum the Sad posted:

This is true: if you've eaten nothing at all the previous day, an apple, a raw carrot and a handful of nuts for lunch suddenly seems like an amazing luxury lol.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

When I get to 190 lbs I am going to do everything intelligent recommended in this thread, such as weighing my food and counting calories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvzHMmDDTBI

youre never actually going to do this part

quote:

I work 16 hours a day. You're supposed to sleep 8 hours a day. When am I exactly supposed to exercise? I also have to fit in showering, shaving, and talking to my wife.

Speaking of which, she thinks this is a terrible idea

also maybe you should try and find a way off the 16 hour work days and possibly listen to your wife here ???

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Like legit op I would recommend mental health counseling before I’d recommend a diet, if this is the one way you’re convinced you can lose weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Op, your job is going to kill you way faster than the weight. Finding a different job that gives you enough time to exercise should be your first priority.