Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I don't trust you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can trust me, I'm police.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Stick with the prod, prod with the prod.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sharkopath posted:

I'm taking over this thread now because you can't trust AnacondaHL.

I'm still counting your 1st place vote for K-On lol

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've only seen 4 KyoAni shows but they were all really good

1. K-On!
2. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
3. Amagi Brilliant Park
4. Clannad

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm still counting your 1st place vote for K-On lol

Admitting to criminal misconduct I see... the judge is going to throw the book at you. I'm shutting this vote down.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*stomps around smashing potted plants and voting boxes*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Whoa, you're losing your sh*rk, man!

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
EDIT: never mind, stupid avatar-based joke spoiled by SA forum mechanics.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 16, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sharkopath just needs to meltdown over Keions ant this thread will have fully redeemed itself.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kytrarewn posted:

EDIT: never mind, stupid avatar-based joke spoiled by SA forum mechanics.

It was a joke that would only ever be gotten by people who have played Rune Factory 3.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Sharkopath just needs to meltdown over Keions ant this thread will have fully redeemed itself.

Whats a Keions ant?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Is it missing, this Keion's ant?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everybody please help find Keion's ant, because it is missing and Keion misses it very much.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think he means "k-on and"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not that I want you to stop this epic line of comedy

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
*guitar riff*

K-on!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

(In head, audible to Player)

I wonder if there's a connection between Anaconda's voter fraud and Keion's missing ant... I should look for more evidence while I continue the investigation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stay safe, high rear end ant.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Okay, I'm good with releasing the results at this point. With 51 voters, here are the final scores:

By raw point total, the winner is:

Nichijou! It was a back and forth battle, but the 2011 comedy won out in the end (-1st place votes got 0 points in this list).

But wait, that's not the whole story! By weighting the 1st place vote point totals like the MVP vote that mean there's a certain weight given for being the best of the best. First here's the list of all 1st place votes, as if everyone was given just one vote:

So if you're looking had to watch/recommend just one quality show, one could consider Hyouka as the winner.

Another metric we can use is how "popular" a show is, from the raw number of times it showed up in people's voting lists. This would be the closest equivalent to how we have been doing Best Anime of the Year voting:

(Note: 0.1 points was given for each -1st place vote, just for visual reference). So here, the popularity of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series has stood the test of time. Personally I'm shocked that not a single voter cast a -1st place vote for the show.

And finally, we can ask "what if a show got a bunch of points just because it was on everyone's list?" Here we can look at the average points earned per vote:

Again, Hyouka shines as the top show.

So Nichijou has officially won the vote, but there are certainly arguments to be made for each of the top 3 shows. One way to investigate was to look at how polarizing shows were via standard deviation or something, but there's no convenient spreadsheet function to do the IF lookup with it so :effort:. Instead, I created a simpler metric that compared a show's ranking on the "popularity" list and compared it to it's position on the Raw Score and Average Score lists:

This also looks into "if people who omitted a show from their vote watched the show, what could happen?" This list changes a bit when I give different values to the -1st place votes, but in general the "underwatched" shows are Free, Full Metal Panic, Clannad, K-On!, and Hyouka. If you're looking for a new show to watch, these have the highest probability to work for you! And yes, I can't believe I'm actually seeing K-On! as an underrated show, but that is what happened.

On the other end of the spectrum, Chuuni, Lucky Star, Haruhi, and Amagi Brilliant Park all scored lower than expected, meaning lots of people watched them but didn't like them as much, relatively. But who knows, maybe if you haven't watched the show you may really enjoy them and regress their score back upwards!

You can view the full standings and raw data here.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Cool. The two best series won

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sorry, we already decided K-On! is the winner, nice try though, pretty sneaky.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

As long as Hyouka is near the top the results are good. I'm glad we had this thread in case anyone still hasn't seen it yet, thank you OP.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

very interesting.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

neat

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Admoon posted:

As long as Hyouka is near the top the results are good. I'm glad we had this thread in case anyone still hasn't seen it yet, thank you OP.

Additional words on Hyouka: a 13 in 34 1st place vote rate is very high. The two presumptions for why people did not vote for Hyouka are 1) they did not see it and 2) they didn't like it, but didn't hate it enough to downvote it. Looking at the popularity list I'd say a majority fall into category 1), hence why it shows up in that green section of the polarizing table. But boy the people who watched it really liked it. Constrast with Nichijou, which has a wide general appeal, some top score appeal, and bombs for a few.

tl;dr: Hyouka is the ultimate e/n show.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

AnacondaHL posted:

A good post.
Please handle the anime of the year 2015 deliberations, thank you.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I really have to watch Hyouka soon. Also I don't get why some people hate Nichijou. I guess humor is very taste dependent.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I really have to watch Hyouka soon. Also I don't get why some people hate Nichijou. I guess humor is very taste dependent.

It definitely is. I didn't list Nichijou on my list because I didn't even finish it, I felt the humor got old after ~10 episodes and couldn't continue watching. I also couldn't get into Nichibros which seemed to have a similar sense of humor so it's really just not for me.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i believe its also very important to considee who voted for what, and the results for that are clear:

Sharkopath posted:

Sorry, we already decided K-On! is the winner, nice try though, pretty sneaky.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Please handle the anime of the year 2015 deliberations, thank you.

Nah, the current AotY system is fine. It's too hard to get everyone to rank their top shows from a list of 200+ in a meaningful way, but much easier for a list of 16.

Also this thread was obviously just a cover for me to get more people to watch Hyouka, and I wouldn't want to introduce that bias into the AotY voting :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

We're changing the AOTY system, which you would know if you read our cool chat thread.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

Nah, the current AotY system is fine. It's too hard to get everyone to rank their top shows from a list of 200+ in a meaningful way, but much easier for a list of 16.

Also this thread was obviously just a cover for me to get more people to watch Hyouka, and I wouldn't want to introduce that bias into the AotY voting :v:

Joke's on you, I would've gotten to it. Eventually.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

Cool. The two best series won

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

We're changing the AOTY system, which you would know if you read our cool chat thread.

I'm too old to keep up with the chat thread :negative:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

You should just post when you see something cool or want to share or say something, and have fun!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Hyouka deserves as much attention as it can get. It was a cool show that not enough people watched.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm re watching it because of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

Well to be fair the chat thread moves fast. Even more so depending on topic.

Anyway, here's what the AoTY posts boil down to currently:

Bad Seafood posted:

I think people should be allowed to pick a top five, but I also think people should be required to explain their picks.

Sharkopath posted:

i wanna encourage people to think and write more about the anime they like, is what i want out of my year's end anime thread

So less of which has the most votes really.

• Locked thread