Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I have completed the Valley of the Dying Things, and now I present to you, my audience, a choice.

A- Take this team right into the next Scenario - A Small Rebellion. - After a small respeccing of characters so that Hox isn't hogging all the XP.
B- This Team, Community Scenario (suggestions/requests welcome)
C- Audience (YOU!) New Party Build, Community Scenario
D- berryjon's 1 PC Challenge, Community Scenario.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Let's keep it simple and go with A.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Voting for B on this one.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I thought The Za-Khazi Run was the next scenario, and A Small Rebellion the one after that?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Quackles posted:

I thought The Za-Khazi Run was the next scenario, and A Small Rebellion the one after that?

Nope, ASR is the middle Scenario, and is supposed to give you the resources required to try and make it through TZR.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
A - let's finish up the default scenarios first

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

berryjon posted:

Nope, ASR is the middle Scenario, and is supposed to give you the resources required to try and make it through TZR.

Huh. I think Jeff mighta swapped the order for Blades of Avernum... maybe I'm misremembering.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm actually thinking C, I like the idea of this team being kept for the default scenarios, but I also want to see a change of pace first.

I'll be voting D later though.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm voting A because I've never seen what lies beyond this scenario before and I'm deeply curious

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Deki posted:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Deki posted:

:emptyquote:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'll vote B

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vanigo posted:

I know Berryjon says alchemy is bad, and for the most part he's right, but when I played Exile 2, I loved it, purely because it meant that I could carry a giant stack of ingredients around and brew weak energy potions in the middle of dungeons. The ingredients stack properly, you see, whereas the potions don't.

Duly noted.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Vote A.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
C

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Apologies for kramering in here, but Jeff Vogel's newest game, Queen's Wish 2, is now released to the general public. He's put it 15% off for the first week.
I heartily recommend it.

Queen's Wish 2 on Steam
Queen's Wish 2 on GoG

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 24, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Time to Kramer on to steam then.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I always buy straight from SWS. I lose the 15% discount, but SWS gets all of the money that way and it comes with a Steam key.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm seeing a definite trend toward respeccing and moving on to A Small Rebellion, but you guys will have until I post the next actual update to make your voices heard.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
A

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1947750/Queens_Wish_2_The_Tormentor/

To any who care, sequel to Queen's Wish is out (by Spiderweb Software, so it's vaguely on topic.)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Andyzero posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1947750/Queens_Wish_2_The_Tormentor/

To any who care, sequel to Queen's Wish is out (by Spiderweb Software, so it's vaguely on topic.)

points up the page

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Scenario 1 - The Valley of Dying Things
Chapter 12 - Control and Waste Disposal

The following is not what officially happens in this scenario, as I don't want to do it. The healing Scepter is far too important to get me through the rest of the scenario.

And he gives us a Wand of Fireballs. Yeah, no.

"That's enough time in the sun, back to work. I think we can finish this."

"If thiz key we got from the Library Spirits is the one I think of, we will be able to get through the secured double-doors at the bottom of the second school and descend further."

"We have to be close to the end, right? How much more can there be?

"Too much? Not enough. We've been here for almost a month, I think we're good at solving this as we're ever going to get."

"We could have been fazter though."

"Maybe, maybe not. Let's not assume anything at this point."

"And here we are."

"I am glad that worked."

"Well, I do have one question now that this door is open."

"Who expected even deeper caves?"

"Not I."

"This is getting ridiculous."

"At least there's a sign."

"OK, that... How did they get out here? The door was locked and nothing on the wall was damaged."

"That, and does this mean that these... Alien Beasts are natural somewhere, some how?"

"Guys, they're coming for us!"

:black101:

"And that iz that. We can handle them in small doses."

"Az long as they stay that way."

There were four in this fight, and they started far enough away that I could Slow them twice and chain-bless myself to fight them properly.

"How big is this cavern, anyways?"

"Three miles, but not as the worm tunnels."

"It iz... a shallow down, nothing we cannot handle. And there iz a road."

"Nothing to do now, but go forward."

"Does anyone... see them?"

I don't. I think the flag was broken, and the enemy didn't spawn in.

"I still get weird feelings in my spine. It's so much quieter down here than it is on the surface."

"I know of what you speak, even the water is calmer without the wind to stir it up."

"Hold on, zide passage."

:catholic: "It haz healing properties."

"We don't need it then, we'll leave it for now."

If you do...

And you can't use it again. It's a respite for those who came down here even less prepared than I.

"How far down, you think?"

"To Vahnatai lands."

"Probably."

"Welcoming committee."

"But we're also close to the end, I think. 2 miles down the road?"

"I hope that doesn't land on someone."

"And they're here!"

"Small dozes. Few at a time."

"And another zide passage."

Same as the other one.

Also, we're at the edge of one tile of the overworld, and are now adjacent to the upper overworld. If my mapping is correct, this map tile is to the 'west' of the first one we entered the valley in. For all this, the Scenario is only a 3x3 Map with about a dozen towns and dungeons.

"End of the road."

:catholic: "Let's get some light in here."

"Who, and why?"

"Some stupidities are better left unknown."

"I will uze the stone."

"I'm glad we don't have to deal with the contamination here."

"But hopefully, we can deal with the contamination here?"

"Iz this one of those human language puns you just used?"

"Yes, and it's a bad one too."

"At least we know we're in the right place."

"Nice chairs. Waiting area? But we'll go North first."

"I have no idea what all thiz is."

"Nope. Anyone?"

"Unless it's making or stopping the contamination, it's not worth our time to poke at it. Professionals can come after to deal with this."

]

"Hold on, this wall was destroyed, and then rebuilt."

:catholic: "Move Mountains!"

"Oh."

"This ... why?

"No identifying marks, the bodies are desiccated, but otherwise fairly intact."

"No rank insignia on the robes. No anything."

"There's nothing here for us then, let's get moving."

"Rest in Peace."

"More healing resources."

"Save it for later. And I have a suspicion. Let's go to the south side of the facility."

"I thought so! Those mages wouldn't take the trip from the School every day, so why not have side rooms here for them?"

"Good logic."

"Shiney! Just a plain ring though."

"And here is where they died. drat."

"Indeed. Time to keep exploring."

"Splitting Oozes!"

"This is getting out of hand!"

Yes, it is, and I'm a bad spot to fight this. Time to cut and run, and trust the poor AI pathing to keep me safe.

"Safe."

"For now. Until we need to leave."

"But the north side might be safer.

"Regardless, there should be something in the middle we can use, if only more stairs."

"Or there could be really big chairs?"

"We're in the right place. Instructions still at hand?"

"Yes."

"peace"

"What the...?"

You see a translucent shade, shaped like a middle aged man. It wanders aimlessly from chamber to chamber, not really seeing anything. When you get close, however, it turns and walks up to you. "I am a shade," it says tonelessly. It stares straight ahead, eyes unfocused.

"Oh. OK. What are you doing here?"

"I was placed here with messages."

"Tell us your messages."

"The School was only given one week to close. For this reason, much virulently poisonous waste was left inside. Any leaks would result in incredible destruction. This upset Palhatis, so he took steps to prevent a disaster."

"Too late on that count."

"Shhhh!"

"Who was Palhatis?"

"We know thiz."

It continues, in a completely emotionless voice. "Te mage Palhatis was one of the administrators for the School of MAgery. When the Empire closed the School, he was murdered."

"..."

"Do you know why he was murdered?"

"Many here were killed by Vinnia, on orders from the Empire. It was thought they were disloyal."

"Who was Vinnia?"

"Vinnia was an administrator, and very loyal to the Empire."

"Tell me of her loyalty, please?"

"The leaders of the Empire decided that magical power could only be trusted when centralized under their direct control. The research of the School of Magery was so successful that it was the first to be closed. The haste for the closure was the reason for my message."

"If the name Garzahad leaves this spirit, all will burn."

"A Disaster has occurred. What is the plan?"

"Although all the controls and devices in the School were deactivated, he made sure that the controls to the waste disposal unit remained. These controls might still be activated."

"What controls?"

"The controls are in the northern control chamber. Sit in the chair to operate them. It is assumed that you will have full knowledge of their operation."

"And if we don't know?"

"Of course. If you don't know how, scrolls of instruction were left behind. If you find one, you will know how to use the controls. I do not have one. There is none here."

"Here."

"Now all we need is a volunteer as this is the right chair already."

"No question, I'm team leader. This is my responsibility."

"No time like the present."

"Amazing system, but not without flaw."

"I think I know were the Panel is though."

"We all do."

"And now, we muzt ascend."

"That was painless. Everyone, make sure the scrolls and packaged up tight. When we're ready, we're running for the Waste Storage facility.'

"We're ready."

"MOVE!"

"Take them out!"

"That was invigorating, but exercise like that while breathing near the filth? Bad."

"Shut up and let's get in."

"No good, I can see sealed doors down that hall. There muzt be an alternate way in."

"Found it! Zaka, Move it!"

:catholic:

"Oh. My. gods."

"This ends."

"Do not move carelessly. Any of theze could rupture at any moment."

"I hear you."

"Is this hot to you?"

"It iz.. Oh."

"Quickfire"

"That will burn everything out. And perhaps a good chunk of the cavern az well."

"And nothing of value will be lost, as long as we can be safe."

"Hey guys, we're not alone here."

"Defensive line! Let them come to us and we'll break them."

"Fireball!" :science:

Quickghasts, Ghouls and a couple Wights. They'll come to us, we pulverize them.

"I love it when the enemy obliges us."

"Fireball!"

"And we're good. No one else is coming."

"Another Quickfire chamber. Good."

"We just need to get through there now."

"Might az well."

"Dammit, not through there."

"Oh, that iz not good." :science:

I do NOT want to deal with Acid now.

"The other zide of the portal from the School. It haz to be."

"It iz."

"We can loop around through here."

"I don't believe it, just a little more, and the Quickfire would have been released!"

"And it would have zolved our problem."

"Almost there, I see a way through."

"Oh no. Non, no no no!"

This is bad, really bad. I can't go through the filth without getting Diseased, and I can't use the Scepter to heal the disease while in combat, which would give the Imps and Hordelings time to wear me down. I tried drawing them out of the room, to fight them where I have room to maneuver, but that didn't work out. There's only one option now.

"Break through! Someone has to get to the controls!"

"We are behind you. Haste him!"

:black101: :black101:

"Clear, they're... they're still fighting."

"There has to be a way... Let's see what the controls have to say."

"Please..."

"Oh."

"Yeah, that's about right. No way out, is there?"

"Just have to power it up with this..."

"Yeah, that's about right."

"Everyone for themselves!"

"No! We go together!"

"Thiz will be a good death."

:supaburn: :supaburn:

"It has been a...."

"That was... Yeah, let's just get out of here."

"So, I've gone over your reports."

"Thank you, Anaximander, Ma'am."

"Don't Ma'am me. I'm not old enough yet."

"Sure thing, boss."

"So, in summary, you investigated the Vale, found several systemic issues that should have been addressed years ago, followed the evidence into the School of Magery, unleashed a Dragon, made contact with a new Vahnatai Council/nation, discovered one of the Empires buried secrets, and then unleashed Quickfire into an enclosed ecosystem before running for your lives?"

"Yes?"

"If I was twenty years younger, I would be disappointed that you seemed to be so lazy."

"Ma... Sir?"

:sigh: "You did nothing wrong. You had a mandate and you filled it. The Empire Liaison in Lorelei may be angry, but they're not angry at us. There's a lot of damage done to the Vale that the Empire now is not at fault for, but has to take responsibility for fixing."

"And us?"

"Avernum is clear, and we've begun reaching out to this new group. Your openness with the Vahnatai is a point in our favor, but we're still going to be careful as we have no idea what their internal and foreign policies are."

"That sounds like everything. Anything else?"

"Rest, train, get your gear in order. The Empire has requested our help in investigating reports of A... small rebellion on one of their islands ... Morrow's Isle. I have a rough map here."

"When you're ready, you'll take the portal network to the nearest station, then travel overland. Investigate and Resolve if possible. Dismissed."

berryjon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 27, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap:

Ah, quickfire. One of the strongest and most bonkers magical effects in the Avernum series.

I have fond(?) memories of switching into combat mode to outrun quickfire, because you can move 5-6 spaces per turn in combat, versus 1 out of it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Quackles posted:

I have fond(?) memories of switching into combat mode to outrun quickfire, because you can move 5-6 spaces per turn in combat, versus 1 out of it.

It's the best way to beat the Test of Speed in E2. That, and Quickfire only expands to the four cardinal points each time it 'moves', but you can move diagonally.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Quackles posted:

:golfclap:

Ah, quickfire. One of the strongest and most bonkers magical effects in the Avernum series.

Same. I mostly recall a certain boss battle in Avernum remake 2, which allowed you to keep re-setting a certain quickfire release.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xander77 posted:

Same. I mostly recall a certain boss battle in Avernum remake 2, which allowed you to keep re-setting a certain quickfire release.

Wait, what?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I installed Blades of Avernum and, as I thought, it's the same four scenarios that are clearly designed to be played in order with the same group as they specify increasing and compatible level ranges.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Empire isn't chasing you for violating the exclusion order?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

The Empire isn't chasing you for violating the exclusion order?
The Empire hired us to fix the problem in the first place, we entered it in service of our official duties, solved the problem and alerted the empire to a major catastrophe. We performed a pretty notable service for the Empire - and almost as importantly everybody knows it was us so they have to seem grateful.

I would assume we glossed over the whole "released a pissed off dragon" part of the story though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Quackles posted:

Wait, what?
G.

After you escape the boss area, you can just go back in. The game really isn't expecting you to do so, and things kinda break.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Scenario 2 - A Mild Rebellion
Chapter 1 - Selathni

Before I begin this scenario, I need to do some clean up. Basically, because of the way the balance in the game is set up, the most XP is given to the person with the most kills in combat, with everyone else getting trickle experience. Sadly, this means that Hox is sitting at Level 21, while Johnson is at Level 9. Which means that in the time between this scenario and the previous one, I went into the character editor and did some revamping of character's skills to make them more combat viable.

This is the normal message that pops up when you open the Character Editor. And in the days of the late 90's, when system resources were a lot more tight, this warning was with merit. With modern systems, it isn't a problem to have both up at the same time.

This is the basic Editor after I've loaded the party. The game does not automatically restore your HP/MP or clear statuses when loading them into a scenario or leaving one, so I'm going to be fixing that in the "Free Extras" menu, which can be used in the unregistered version of the game. But the important part here is going to be the "Edit Skills" button, which I am going to use to respec some of this party (but not everyone), to better allow them a piece of the XP pie.

Taylor Danger is going to go all-in with his Crossbow, so I'm dropping the 8 points of Thrown Missiles and boosting his Dexterity and Strength by 1 each, and his Archery by 1.

Jovanna Cooper is also going to emphasize her Bow more, and drops the 5 points in Throwing for 1 point of Strength and 1 point of Archery.

Shinwell Johnson is gong the other way, and putting some focus into his Sling. I'm stripping out all 6 points of Archery, boosted Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence by 1 each, put 1 point into Throwing, and 2 points into SP to help stretch his small spell casting pool.

All members of the party do have some Skill Points from leveling up in store from the end of the previous scenario, so I'll be spending those this update. And with that out of the way, let us begin.

I don't know why the game takes away your Special Items when you start a new scenario. I would expect the save file to be cleaned up when you leave one, not enter a new one.

"Can we not keep the Healing Zcepter?"

"No, it iz required by the Empire Priests to help specialize their spells for the Vale. We muzt return it."

:(

"That's enough, we're almost there, finally."

"Whoever is writing this into a story of our lives will have to come up with an awesome explanation for what is happening, because the Empire does not tolerate Mercenaries or Adventurers."

"I have to agree. The Empire needs people like us, but has no formal structure in place for it, which is why they are very desperate to get us to investigate Morrow's Isle and the conflict here."

"That we are former Exiles, Avernites, makes it more likely we will be able to assess the small rebellion from their side, though we are, officially unofficially being retained by the Empire to conduct this investigation."

"That's the plan at least."

"LAND HO!"

"That's our que. Also, Shinwell?"

"Yes?"

"You're up."

"Odd."

"Indeed. You would think that an island as relatively small as this one would show some degree of discontent."

"Only if the local powers aren't making an effort to keep the front-facing town looking good."

"We're all well aware of the necessary signs."

"He's right. For now, let's make our contact and start the process."

"A... storm wall. We have never needed one, zo this construction is new to uz. We should note this for learning from later."

"A lot of towns and cities have this sort of stuff to them, like wavebreaks.

"Still interezting."

"True, but we have a job to do. Sight seeing later."

This is the "Abort Scenario" location.

"And here we go."

"Here's hoping. Excuse me, we're looking for Kurt?"

"Hold on, I need to finish this Cat's Cradle."

"That's alright, we're supposed to talk to you about a Slaughterhouse?"

There is no way I couldn't do that.

When you get close to this small man, he motions you over to join him. As you sit, he takes a quick look around the room, paying close attention to the windows and doors. When he sees its safe, he turns to you. "I am Vonnegut. Welcome to Morrow's Isle." He keeps an eye on the windows and doors. "Forgive my caution, but the Hill Runners have made all our lives dangerous. I am here to explain the reason you've been brought here."

"We're all for a reason, given the ... situation."

"The Hill Runners are led by a person named Stalker. They have had success in fighting the Empire here on the Isle. Your job is to infiltrate them. I am not here to tell you how to do that, just to be your contact and to provide information."

"And the information?"

"You are to go east to Willow. Somewhere there is a secret stairway down which leads to where our leader Jaen will speak with you and give you your orders. He will tell you how to infiltrate the Hill Runners and why. However, before you go, a serious warning."

"Go on then, deliver your warning."

"You're not the first people on the Isle we've tried to infiltrate in, nor are you the first outsiders to try and do things on your own. We are certain that you will be contacted by the Runners to that you can help them with their sinister deeds. Do nothing for them until you have been to the contact point to clear things with Jaen. If you do work for the Runners or Stalker without permission, you will be slain."

"And what does the public know about Stalker, in case anyone asks before we meet the new boss, same as the old boss?"

"Practically nothing is known about him. Or her. Stalker is completely ruthless and vicious, and a shrewd tactician as well. If you can infiltrate the Runners, we might be able to find and eliminate this threat. Fortunately, we have Jaen."

"And what about Jaen? What are they like?"

"Jaen was sent here by the Empire to destroy Stalker and his Rebellion. He's just as secretive and vicious. It is he who will be giving you your orders, after you contact him."

"And the Hill Runners?

"They are the rebels, the violent raiders and murderers who have turned this Isle into a place of constant terror. They are the reason you have been brought here."

"Thanks. We're going to get out feet under us, and start work right away."

"'ello!"

With tanned skin, earring and tattoos, you have little doubt that this man is a sailor. He's currently working on what must be one of many bears. He grunts and belches. "I'm Belk. Sit down and join me." He waves unsteadly at a nearby stool.

"And what brings you here?"

He barks out a laugh, with a little spittle in addition. "I'm a sailor, or I'm retired. I'm not sure."

"What did you do as a sailor?"

"Making runs to Morow's Isle was a good bit'o'work. Safe. Lots to do. They pay well. I was all set to retire, but then the troubles started."

"Tell me about the troubles?"

"I get here after one trip, and within a day, ONE, these Hill Runners come up to me!" You see the barkeep look over, uncomfortable at the mention of the Hill Runners.. "They try to convert me!"

"No!"

"They say, help us or we cut you down in your sleep. Then a soldier comes up to me the next day, and says he has his eye on me cause I was seen talkin' to a Hill Runner! This place is madness! I'm escaping!"

"Where would you escape to? Valorim?"

"I'm going somewhere where people aren't getting killed everywhere and you can keep to yourself. Pretty reasonable, eh?"

"I have a hard time disagreeing with you on that."

"And what about you?"

Even for inns frequented by sailors, the Sea Wurm Inn is a bit on the scruffy side. The bar maid is doing her best to fight the decay, but it's been a losing struggle for some time. She grabs some mugs, expecting some heavy drink orders. "I'm Klivans. Welcome to the Sea Wurm Inn. Beer is 5 Gold for the lot of you. Room for 6. And if you're expecting to travel, we have some rations."

"Actually, we are running short on rations."

Before...

After. And yes, leaving me with a round 10K in gold was the plan when I saw the numbers. Because I could, that's why!

"So, what's this about travel problems?"

"Get a beer, and I'll tell you about it."

:sigh: "Beer, please."

You get a few mugs of the Inn's beer. As expected, it's noxious stuff. As you choke it down, Klivans says "You look new here. Haven't you head how dangerous the Isle's been lately?"

"What danger are we talking about?"

"The northwest corner is full of jumpy Empire soldiers. The northeast is full of Hill Runners. I'd suggest staying close to port until you know what you're doing."

"Thank you for your time."

"This isn't a great set up. Both sides are harassing people into joining."

"More than that, this is the sort of thing that the Empire wouldn't have gone to the point we are at now in the past. They would have sent in the Army and flooded the island with troops."

"Changes by the Empress after Valorim?"

"Maybe? Prazac's caught a lot of grief from the rumors on the way here, from people who think that she should have just ordered the Army in and stormed Valorim by force."

"Which is what the perps behind those plagues were hoping for, according to the briefings we got."

"That was then, thiz is now. Without regard for the why, we have a job to do."

"Which would include not robbing the dock warehouses."

"Nothing saying we can't look, can we?"

"Just some Holly, and some dried food here. Nothing valuable for us in the other warehouses."

"Horses?"

"Yes, yes they are."

"That's a bad pun."

This man's clothes tell two stories. They are high quality, made of silk and velvet. But they are also torn and dirtied, as if their wearer has had a hard time of it. His shirt is also stained with some of the wine he's been drinking.

"Morning, sir."

He motions for you to sit, and pours you some wine. "Greetings, fellow victims. I'm Bearden."

"Phillip, and thank you. If you don't mind, what is it that you do?"

"Nothing. Not any more. I'm a victim, sure as I'm sitting here." He gulps down more wine.

"What, pray tell, has made you a victim?"

"Well, I'd be glad to tell you all about it!" He starts to fall over, and then rights himself. "I was running a lumber mill, in the ruins of what was Fahl, but then it was destroyed."

"What was the mill like?"

"Beautiful place! The serfs sawed and processed thirty big logs a day! It was going to make me rich, but then it got destroyed."

"Destroyed? Fire? Water?"

"That lumber mill was my way to richness! Lord Volpe said so when he invited me here! We were going to turn this island into a paradise! But now I'm stuck out in the cold, and Volpe doesn't do anything to help."

"Wait... Who is Lord Volpe?"

"Well, that's a thing."

"Hello."

Behind the counter, you see Purdee, the elegant and pert owner of the Purdee's Resort. She bows to you as you approach, and wipes clean the counters in front of where you sit. "I am Purdee, and I run Purdee's Resort, the loveliest inn in all of Valorim."

This line confused me for a while before I resolved it as realizing that Morrow's Isle is probably continentally part of Valorim, but not anywhere close to the mainland. Not like, say, how Vancouver Island or Prince Edward Island is with the mainland can be more closely associated with the Isle of Bigail. Rather, it would be more like Iceland with how it is still 'Europe', but pretty far out. Also, Morrow's Isle is only 2x2 Outdoors sections large, much smaller than Iceland.

"Thank you for your hozpitality."

"You are welcome. You must be one of those... oh... it's on the tip of my tongue... Nephil, right?"

:lol: "No! We are Slithzerikai, or just Slith. Tell me, what makez your place different from the other inn?"

"My apologies. Well, when the Captains want a good place to stay, they come here. Private rooms, 14 Gold, good solid means for sale, and bottles of Morrow Isle's finest wines, only 12 gold!"

"We do not drink wine, sorry. But we will tell the Humanz with us about you."

"Please do so!"

"Why?"

"Why not?"

"Because that's trespassing?"

"Get out."

"Gone!"

Barnard, the Captain of the Guard. All he does is repeat what we were told earlier by Vonnegut, that the Hill Runners are bad news and should we work with them, our days are numbered.

"What place iz this?"

"I'm concerned about there being no one home."

"Might az well."

No, I don't think this does anything aside from making you feel better.

"And the shrine..."

"Ah, passive healing. Not that we need such thingz."

There is nothing plot or character-worthy here. We have:

Identification, Armor and Sales. I pick up some Steel armor for people, but I want to keep the Encumbrance down on everyone. Those pants on Danger is as good as Iron Chainmail at a fraction of the cost, and weight.

And training! Let's get this out of the way while I'm here.

With 15 Skill points, I give him 7 ranks in Edged Weapons as he would up with a Steel Rapier in the last scenario (I know it says Bashing, I fixed that off-camera), and an extra point of SP. He'll be a mini-Art in no time!

Also with 15 SP, Cooper buys 7 levels of Edged weapons for her Magic Knife, and saves that last Skill Point for next time.

Danger dumps all 20 points into Archery, bringing it from 9 to 19!

After being annoyed missing so many spells last time, Zaka put all 6 points he had into Mage Lore, instead of something smart, like Spell Points.

Tokka-Gesss had 15 points to spend as well, and he put 12 into 6 ranks of Pole Weapons (he picks up an Iron Halberd while shopping, a whopping 1d18+2 damage weapon!) and 1 more point into Strength.

Phillip Hox, level hogger that he is, has THIRTY THREE points to spend. In fact, now that he's over 20, he's only getting 4 Skill Points per level, instead of five! He spends 21 to raise his Strength to 20/20, and the other 12 to raise his Dexterity from 10 to 14. He will still murderize everything in his path, but now everyone else has a chance to catch up.

I forget to take a picture inside, but this room sells bows, throwing weapons and ammo. I stock up for Cooper and Danger, going over 100 for each.

OK, I lied, this guy has something so say.

In case you forgot that the Hill Runners aren't the good guys here. I upgrade people's weapons to Steel where possible, including maces for Zaka and Hox, the aforementioned Halberd for Tokka, something for Danger, while Cooper keeps her Magic Knife, and Shinwell his Steel blade.

"Residencies?"

"Shall we?"

"... No. Not right now. We're still new, and we don't want to associate ourselves with a rash of breakins so soon after we arrive."

"Gotcha. On the way out then."

"Run like you stole something?"

"Wizdom."

Uh... no idea what happened there, something must have been borked in my trimming, and I didn't see it. My apologies.

"OK, and that's it for town. Let's head over to Willow and go about our business. We'll do some exploring later."

berryjon fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 30, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I really don't remember anything about this scenario, so I'm super curious.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

berryjon posted:

I don't know why the game takes away your Special Items when you start a new scenario.

Special items work by triggering a special node (Blades's equivalent of scripts) in the scenario they're created for when you activate them. That can do basically anything -- teleport your party, show dialogue, spawn monsters, change terrain... There'd be no way to make them work within a different scenario.

I think you can carry custom equippable items from one scenario to another, though. Like if I were to add a custom sword +99 into a scenario, the party who found it could then use it in any scenario they liked.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Whybird posted:

Special items work by triggering a special node (Blades's equivalent of scripts) in the scenario they're created for when you activate them.

Let me rephrase that. I don't understand why it takes away Special Items when you enter into a scenario instead of when you leave it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I know that de-leveling Captain Kickarse isn't possible, but does the editor allow editing experience or just characters?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that de-leveling Captain Kickarse isn't possible, but does the editor allow editing experience or just characters?

Yes, and yes.

And while leveling everyone us up artificially is still an option, I'd rather do it more in line with the scenarios.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

Yes, and yes.

And while leveling everyone us up artificially is still an option, I'd rather do it more in line with the scenarios.

Understandable, I just can't stand per-character experience. I had to do so much contrived BS in Exile 1, which I still haven't finished, to keep everyone paced. My poor cleric made everyone vicious with her blesses and such, but she was always behind.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Understandable, I just can't stand per-character experience. I had to do so much contrived BS in Exile 1, which I still haven't finished, to keep everyone paced. My poor cleric made everyone vicious with her blesses and such, but she was always behind.
The XP spreading is certainly annoying, but fortunately from a gameplay perspective, I'd expect the party is still perfectly fine.

After completing Valley in Blades of Avernum, my party levels were near the very top of the level range for A Small Rebellion. Levels aren't quite a one-to-one match between Exile and Avernum of course, but I'd expect it's roughly similar. So even though Philip is at 21 while others are 9, whereas a more even distribution might be, idk, everybody at 13, "characters at level 9" is still firmly in the acceptable level range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

The XP spreading is certainly annoying, but fortunately from a gameplay perspective, I'd expect the party is still perfectly fine.

After completing Valley in Blades of Avernum, my party levels were near the very top of the level range for A Small Rebellion. Levels aren't quite a one-to-one match between Exile and Avernum of course, but I'd expect it's roughly similar. So even though Philip is at 21 while others are 9, whereas a more even distribution might be, idk, everybody at 13, "characters at level 9" is still firmly in the acceptable level range.

You're probably correct. In my part it's my more 'OCD' tendencies talking, but I still think that party-uniform experience would be preferable.