Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
face got punched too hard

reply hazy

try again later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Yeah, CD seems like the best choice. I think Reaction is the better play here for going fully defensive, but could be convinced of the others if anyone wants to explain.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Reaction it is. It's a solid choice for anchoring the line.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

8.31.25 Zwickau (4-1-1, 2nd) @ Backpfeifengesichter (0-1-5, 8th)

The weather is hot, and we're not exactly rested:

We had a remote - couldn't have been more than 10%, if that - chance of scoring before ally was too tired to be useful. It was blocked by their defense of course. Meanwhile they scored on their first attempt, naturally getting a max roll while we didn't. NiftyBottle did make a save later. Holding them to a single goal in the first half is what passes for quality play these days.

Two more saves in the second half, but they scored on a cross - I think I misunderstood part of the mechanic on that, as Insurrectionist's Head Play is not triggering. Guh. A final insult on a long angled shot at the end that we should have stopped, and it's another 3-0 defeat.

Zwickau brought in a CF, while Saarbrucken sold a talented but aging CD. Meanwhile three of our temp players had their contracts expire, and two more came in. The cycle continues.

9.12.25 Wuppertal @ Backpfeifengesichter
Prestige Cup Qualifying Round, 2nd Leg

Insurrectionist wasn't just tired for this one, he was half-dead. So was Average Lettuce, who would otherwhise have been able to resist a Long Pass they got through the midfield. As it was, NiftyBottle made back-to-back saves; one off a header from a cross attempt, the second from an olympic kick on the ensuing corner. Against all odds, we were scoreless at the half.

Another save at the start of the second had me dreaming of a draw. Here, one of our many temp defenders just looks to clear the ball and keep them from attacking, almost 70 minutes in. Their next try was stopped by Jossar at the line, and he would finish off the match with a tackle further up. They didn't have the skills to get the ball quickly up the pitch, so the 'just kick it deep' approach was effective.

Everyone was sad afterwards as the Prestige Cup was now over for us. I was very happy with this result though. It was about as good as a scoreless draw can be.

We had no business not losing this one. A very well-deserved MoM award for the nifty one.

The fan bit here is amusing to me. 'Hey, good job on the draw against a better club. I might follow you a bit more ... oh wait, you're out of Prestige Cup? On second thought nah you suck'. Any match that nets us 4 Glory is a success though in my book.

Oberhausen meanwhile lost 8-1 to Potsdam at the same stage. 6-0 in the first match. Yikes.

This happened at the time of the match. It's a matter-of-fact declaration when they sign multiple players, but when we only need one like this, the President gives us this blurb letting us know it'd be really great if he didn't have to always be adding randoms from the pub who are too drunk to know better to play for us.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Pep Talk

The pace is slowing down with more players in the mix, and meanwhile obviously we really suck. So I thought it might be encouraging to look at the long-term picture:

Yeah that's the bad news. We are even worse than Oberstausen now. But we're on the path to turning this around. No really, we are. We have six players of the new generation, and are about to get a seventh. Fast-forward two years and, if the money holds out, we'll have a full roster. A full roster of what? Well, we have at present 2 2* players, 1 1*, and 3 0*. That may not sound great, but comparing it to the rest of the middling-and-down clubs:

- Oberstaufen has 21 players. All but one of them are 0*.
- Koblenz has 2 2*, 3 1*, and 18 0*
- Wuppertal has 1 2*, 6 1*, 15 0*
- Burghausen 3 2*, 5 1*, 12 0*

Purpose of this comparison is just to show that once we get that full roster of new players, we'll definitely be able to move back up the ladder. There are just too many holes right now, but that won't be the case for that much longer.

Stay positive, coaches! Our period of long-suffering at the bottom of the Amateur League will end. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's drawing nearer all the time!!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The Youth Rivalry has arrived. While it would be nice to have a forward and neither of the attribute distributions are particularly stellar, we go with the more gifted player and add another primarily defensive player to the roster.

What even is this? Both the face and the hair are just a catastrophe. Just why, seriously.

PotatoManJack, you're up! We need the following:

- Base Class - Defense, Midfield, or Forward

- Training Focus - Accuracy, Passing, Defense, or Control.

48 hours as usual to make the call here. Really we could do almost anything with this player, but going Defense in both is my recommendation. That would be another 1-star youth to go alongside Jossar.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Strategic Sage posted:

PotatoManJack, you're up! We need the following:

- Base Class - Defense, Midfield, or Forward

- Training Focus - Accuracy, Passing, Defense, or Control.

48 hours as usual to make the call here. Really we could do almost anything with this player, but going Defense in both is my recommendation. That would be another 1-star youth to go alongside Jossar.

Very punchable!

For my votes:

Position Defense

Focus Defense

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coaches Report: Winter 2026

Glory is down just a bit, and we've down about 7-8k Money as well from the start of the season. That's pretty much par for the course, contract expenses and not making enough money to totally cover them. We just need to not lose too much too quickly here.

One of the things that you might not think about when you have an injury like Odd Wilson had is that progress on training your skills also stops until you get healthy. So that lost him a couple months.

I don't expect as many SL boosts as we had the first half of the season. NiftyBottle definitely should be next. When you're able to make some saves but the defense is leaky, GKs can really rack up those boosts like no other position.

Contract Extensions

This is the last window of only one extension; we'll be having two players each time from now on which will put more pressure on the account. 7,175 to give Jossar another three years, leaving us with 55k and change left.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coaches Ballot: Winter 2026

You know the drill.

- Youth Rivalry for 9 Glory;

- Request Defender for 9 Glory;

- Or Save the Glory.

We have 29 Glory right now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'll always defend Youth Rivalry. Better players will end up giving us better glory at the end of the season, will get us higher up on the league, etc...

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
get them youths rivalin'

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
SAVE IT.

We may need it next window if things go horribly pear-shaped here.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'd say Save It as well.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Do what you feel is best.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Youth will save us.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Youth Rivalry. Better players for a better team.

It’s nice to see my player is doing pretty well, even if the team isn’t.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

NiftyBottle posted:

Youth Rivalry. Better players for a better team.

Honestly don't know that we have anything else we can really usefully spend glory in at the moment, other than maybe increasing youth coaching... Which won't generally be as good as an extra star would be anyway.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

whowhatwere posted:

Honestly don't know that we have anything else we can really usefully spend glory in at the moment, other than maybe increasing youth coaching... Which won't generally be as good as an extra star would be anyway.

The two youth work options are the only thing we can spend Glory on other than the not-worth-it motivation for matches. We actually can't increase our youth coaches until we improve the Academy, which we don't have the money for. So it's really just spend it or save it right now.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

2.1.26 Koblenz(2-0-5, 6th) @ Backpfeifengesichter (0-1-6, 8th)

A couple of fun facts here. One, we've never had a draw against Koblenz. Secondly, our total roster value is actually slightly more than theirs now, even though their players are clearly still better.

Progress!

Snowing today, and they have this stupid formation in which they have an ill-suited DM and a wide midfielder doing the kickoffs. I shifted our formation that way to counteract a bit. A solid keeper and a deep line of three CDs meant low-percentage pot-shots from distance is all we were going to get.

Late in the first half, one turn left for each club. Our formation looks ... not great here, but that's because they just tried to Rainbow Feint Jossar. They lost. Actual Giftedness for the win. Bit by bit, we are seeing small successes. Two shots for each side in the half, neither came close to scoring.

We easily stopped them at the start of the second half, but this was the result - not good if we let them attack again, and there's lots of time. If you wonder why I'm spending more time on this match, well ... we're not losing yet. At the end of this, we weirdly ended up with ally_1986 holding the ball ... and getting fouled. Someone forgot to tell the visitors that skills don't work well in the snow.

It was all for naught though. We were one possession short of getting a result. They kept the ball with their winger and we had nobody who could take it away, then they passed it through our line and scored. Good effort but we couldn't stop it.

I probably should have pressed, but rather tried to defend the pass. Either way we almost had a draw here.

Tough one to swallow ... or perhaps gulp I guess.

2.8.26 Backpfeifengesichter (0-1-7, 8th) @ Wuppertal (3-0-5, 5th)

It's snowing again. Bad effort on their first shot, and also by Insurrection. NiftyBottle makes the save, and then ...

No injury this time, but once again Odd Wilson is the recipient of this hostility.

Their defense is very attackable. This doesn't matter since they still have GK Theiner. That guy needs to retire.

Same player fouls us again. This time Odd Wilson is injured, only for 11 days thankfully. We had manipulated ally into a closer position for the next turn, but can't take advantage of that now. What a jerk. On the other hand, we're now a man up the rest of the way as that is Krause's second yellow card.

Weird situation early in the second half. They did a run up the flank at the top which ... ok, but it was their last action. Now what?

Sent Insurrectionist out to make the tackle as nobody else good enough could get there. Clearance was ... suboptimal. So they tried to Nutmeg Jossar, and failed.

Skills don't work well in the snow. Learn it people. Although in fairness, it's a compliment to our improving defense that they didn't think there was a better option.

My goal was to hold in midfield with Average Lettuce, then get it forward to ally for a shot. This is just ... no. An exhausted player with pretty low defense going after the tackle is a bad idea.

This is not a good possibility. It's also the best we're going to get. Easily saved. That forward who tried to nutmeg? Yeah he was called offside on their turn. One more chance for us from midfield. A tired but motivated ally_1986 got another try with similar odds. In other words, he handed Theiner another save.

Still, we held the draw 0-0 and looked pretty good doing it, 59% possession and 4-1 on shots. Greenshirt Morlock was Man of the Match. That's so dumb I don't even know what to do with it, but I figure it merited a mention here.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 19, 2022

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

A new SL has arrived for NiftyBottle. Reaction Level 2 is going to take ... a while. Recommend 30% training time reduction here. Opening up the next skill is also possible, but kind of pointless when we have pushing three years on the training until we can go that route anyway IMO. Dedication options aren't as useful on a 0-Giftedness player, but always a possibility, and at age 20 the Fan Favourite options are mostly premature other than possibly considering the Glory boost one. That's how I see it anyway.

NiftyBottle, you are on the clock. If you need it, you have the weekend and through Tuesday to make the call.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Well, at least my dude wasn't injured this time. :v:

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
How is my character doing relative to the league/does he have a chance at team of the period? He seems to be doing ok, and is getting more chances to make saves than someone on a better team, but I don’t know if it rates based on save percentage or something. If there’s a decent chance, the glory boost might be a good investment to help the team long term.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

That's a good question. It's also one that is multi-layered and has no easy answer.

- Team of The Round is done for each league match and prestige cup match, as well as for the year. I don't know which you are aiming at, or if it is just 'all of the above'.

The game doesn't track how many times a player has appeared in the league match ones. I think NiftyBottle has been in there occasionally,. but not that often. I know we've gotten players in there when we didn't score, which I think has been either him or Insurrectionist or one of the midfielders.

- For the season on the whole, he has 9 saves in 11 matches. Oberstaufen's keeper Ebner already has 22, and most are in the teens. It's not as bad for NiftyBottle as this appears; he wasn't getting a lot of saves until recently. The start of the year was worse than the last few matches have been. Also for evident reasons, I do what I can to limit the number of incoming shots.

- As far as I know, the rewards are based on successful actions, not save %. I know for a fact that this is how the year-end Achievements screen works, where you get Glory points based on how you ranked in saves, tackles, etc. It doesn't care how many times you tried and failed, only how many times you succeeded.

Analysis

I think his chances of making the year-end Team of the Round as a GK are very slim given how the year started. Next year I think they would probably be higher, but probably still odds-against due to the fact that the majority of the keepers in the league have higher Giftedness. One of the top teams only has six saves all year because they are so good in defense that it's rare to have a shot get through to the keeper. NiftyBottle will always do better than a team like that, but it's beating someone like Theiner at Wuppertal or Ebner at Oberstaufen that is harder; superior GKs at a club that gives them a lot of 'action'.

Taking the Glory boost would still have value for those weeks that NiftyBottle makes it into the 'per match' Team of the Round. If you're aiming for getting in the year-end one though, I would go with something else on this choice, and re-visit it next time an SL comes up.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
If I’m in the GK’s boots, I take the training time reduction this skill level, go with +30% XP on the next. He’s almost to the point where XP gain crashes, and in order to glean every last point we can out of it having the bonus would help. He will get skill levels more often than XP levels so that detour may not be a bad thing in the long run.

Of course, there’s a reason I still haven’t made it out of Amateur League yet so I may not be the guy to listen to.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Yeah, I think training time reduction for now.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

2.15.26 Backpfeifengesichter @ Oberstaufen

Defense was more than capable of stopping Oberstaufen as usual; nothing got through to NiftyBottle, withi Insurrectionist making multiple blocks. ally_1986 had a couple of decent long-range shots, and one of them got through. We're still in last place, but it's our first win of the year and just our second goal.

2.22.26 Saarbrucken (8-2-0, 1st) @ Backpfeifengesichter (1-2-7, 8th)

Time to end our recent run of relative success.

After Insurrectionist blocked their first couple of shots, I did a 'run and hide in the corner' strategy here with Odd Wilson, recently recovered from his latest injury and back after missing just the one match. Wore him out in the process, but it was enough of a delay to keep it scoreless after a half. Saarbrucken is scoring 2.6 goals a match, so that's a win.

After another block on the second-half kickoff, I began to entertain thoughts of actually holding them to a draw. And we should have, but a long angled shot with time expiring slipped through. Disappointing 1-0 loss against the Amateur League's best.

Not much action to note. Three of our temps leave, requiring one more signing from the President for us to make a playable squad.

3.1.26 Backpfeifengesichter (1-2-8, 8th) @ Potsdam (6-1-4, 4th)

It was closer than it has been recently, but Potsdam immediately ended any hopes of interrupting their streak of 6 wins in a row against us. They scored on the opening kickoff, and while we did better after that ally_1986 was very unimpressive in his attempts on goal. They would pass it through our line into the penalty area for a second score later, making ally's last-minute - and very lucky - tally irrelevant. 2-1 loss.

3.8.26 Burghausen(7-2-3, 2nd) @ Backpfeifengesichter (1-2-9, 8th)

Raining for this match.

One point seperates 2nd-4th position, so this is an important match from a spoiler point of view. It was a disaster for us, as an immediate bad pass from Average Lettuce in midfield led to a quick score for them. Two more would follow, including a corner late in the match. Miserable weather and miserable result, 3-0.

I reach Coach Level 7 after the match, taking the cash reward. 4,552 is added to our account.

Jossar has now become a Central Defender.

3.15.26 Backpfeifengesichter (1-2-10, 8th) @ Zwickau (6-5-2, 3rd)

Zwickau is a single point up on Potsdam for the final promotion spot going into this final match of the Amateur League season. All of our midfielders are fairly fatigued, but it's a small matter.

The first half had a little of everything. A save by NiftyBottle, a block by Insurrectionist, a missed crossing attempt. We got out of it unscathed though.

Another save in the second half, and we held them a draw to end the year on a positive note.

Since it came up, here's NiftyBottle in the Team of the Round for that last match. Insurrectionist was there for one of the earlier matches. Most of the time though we still don't have anyone.

Better the second half to be sure, but still last. Our draw against Zwickau means that we will deal with them next year, while Potsdam grabs the third spot and promotes. I don't think that's a good thing necessarily.

You have to finish dead-last to earn this level of disrespect.

Not a lot here. Nobody placed in the annual Team of the Round.

We have no reason not to go the minimum route once more; District 113.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Strategic Sage posted:

You have to finish dead-last to earn this level of disrespect.

oof that hurts

at least we have fans, even if they're laughing at us not with us

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

We'll take 'em, whether they are fans, paid plants, or cardboard cut-outs :)

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

New Player for ShadowedFlames!

This could have gone multiple directions. BraveLittleToaster might be thinking 'top attribute is passing, why not me?'. You are next up on the list, but I'm not recommending midfield here (though it is an option for sure), so I went to the next-in-line.

Reason I'm not recommending midfield is we have two established 20-year-olds there already; Average Lettuce and Odd Wilson. Adding a third player at age 19 would be a glut, the opposite of any sort of smooth turnover. Meanwhile our only attacker, ally_1986, is 3.5 years older than ShadowedFlame.

I didn't forget a letter; your username is one letter too long for the game.

As to the details, this is obviously completely nuts getting a 3-star player. The other choice was a 0-star, so ... just no. He's so far ahead of what we deserve at this point that he's actually not going to help us that much before we sell him, and until then he'll only be a bit better than a 2 or even 1-star and more expensive. We just can't give him the experience he needs to develop. The attribute distribution isn't terrible but also not the best. A midfielder with wasted accuracy, or a forward with wasted passing? I don't know of any role that really wants a split of both.

The necessary:

Base Class - Defense, Midfield, Forward

Training Focus - Accuracy, Passing, Defense, or Control

Suggestions

As mentioned, I would go forward/accuracy. This is because A) we don't have one, and it's time to get crackin' on that, and B) the extra giftedness will help with skill effectiveness. This can compensate for the lack of attribute levels commensurate with his potential. Anything DM or further up the pitch is reasonable though, with the exception that given no control I really wouldn't go for a possession-style player or a wing forward.

ShadowedFlames, you can have through the weekend if you need it due to the holiday. I'll press on if there's an answer before then.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The base game is 80% off on Steam, by the way. 59% off with the expansions.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coaches Report: Summer 2026

Continuing to hold fairly steady on Glory, a bit coming in but also spending on the Youth Rivalry. Thanks to my Coach Level-Up, we were able to not lose any more Money either, and of course Fans holding around the minimum.

We're about to make up for the fact that we didn't have much in the way of SL upgrades to deal with the second half of last year. The midfielders and PotatoManJack all figure to hit their next mark, probably a couple of others also.

Contract Extensions

PotatoManJack takes 4,771 to push out another 3 years.

Here's our first renewal that we really need to think about. Very soon all of you will be taking over making these decisions, so I want to look at the thought process here.

As a 0-star player, ally_1986 isn't going to be seeing many more attribute levels. SLs are coming slower also and won't add a huge amount to the price. So the main factor in cost going up will be skills. For whatever reason, the second skill isn't that big of a jump, but the third one is a massive leap as we've mentioned. Although usually it's 1 or 3-year deal that we want, we can actually argue in favor of all three lengths here:

- 1 year to minimize cost for now, and also say we don't think his price will go up enough to justify the longer deals.
- 2 years because he's about to get his second skill, so maybe the price does go up enough to justify that extra expense. That also gets him to the point where we'll have a full roster, and maybe want to sell someone at that point.
- 3 years to lean all the way into the 'get the cheapest price before he improves'.

A few points to keep in mind:

- You don't get as high a price if selling a player right before their contract expires, so if you're going to sell them it's best to do it when there's 7-8m left, not the last window where it's just 1-2m.

- If we are keeping a player long-term, we always want to set it up so we can get a 3-year extension signed just before they get that third skill level. This way we don't have to pay them the much-elevated price they'll demand at that point, at least for the first couple of years of having that skill. It can be a real 'fish or cut bait' kind of moment, where you need to decide if a player who has been around a while is a needed member of the squad, or just dipensable ballast to be tossed overboard.

- If we have a player on a long-term deal and sell them, we've basically just wasted the money we paid them for the remaining time. That's another reason to not just automatically click the 3-year option.

I'm going 1 year here to keep our options open and not spend any more of our money that I have to when I'm not sure it would be better. We'll be able to see next year whether it would have been a bit cheaper to go with a longer deal or not.

That leaves us with 54.5k.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Coaches Ballot: Summer 2026

29 Glory Available. For a couple more windows, we repeat the same choice:

- Youth Rivalry for 9 Glory.

- Request Defender for 9 Glory.

- Do Nothing.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
So much for riding the bench, haha!

Let’s aim for Forward (hoping to make a central forward but if the skills come up favorably I’ll take a universal) with Accuracy. I’d been hoping to get a stat set that put me as a DM (as I’ve had decent success with them in the past) but the football gods have decreed otherwise. So I’ll hold the front lines until that punchable face gets sold to fund something people will forget about two seasons later. :D

I will maintain for now to hold the current glory and see what happens.

Edit to add: In all my low-level playing I’ve yet to even see a 3-star player; the best I’ve seen is a 2-star I signed on a transfer at low level and sold for 95K, and I’ve only ever gotten 1-star youths at best. So I’d take this string of luck while I could get it!

ShadowedFlames fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 23, 2022

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Request Defender. It's the only position we don't have a full line-up in so far. Let's not risk getting a bunch of second-string players while our defensive line continues to wobble and lose us games. We need to start winning a little so that we have the money to keep those 2-star and 3-star players.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

ShadowedFlames posted:

In all my low-level playing I’ve yet to even see a 3-star player; the best I’ve seen is a 2-star I signed on a transfer at low level and sold for 95K, and I’ve only ever gotten 1-star youths at best. So I’d take this string of luck while I could get it!

Yeah our luck continues to be obscene here. Even using Youth Rivalry, we have an expectation of seeing a 3-star player once every 50 years.

Shadowed Flames posted:

I’ll hold the front lines until that punchable face gets sold to fund something people will forget about two seasons later. :D

Too accurate for comfort.

TeveryBest posted:

It's the only position we don't have a full line-up in so far. Let's not risk getting a bunch of second-string players while our defensive line continues to wobble and lose us games. We need to start winning a little so that we have the money to keep those 2-star and 3-star players.

Vote noted, we'll see how it comes out. I did think it was worth adding a bit of commentary here though. As of right now, we have:

- 1 GK (NiftyBottle)
- 3 Defenders (Insurrectionist, Jossar, PotatoManJack)
- 2 Midfielders(Average Lettuce, Odd Wilson)
- 2 Forwards (ally_1986, ShadowedFlame)

Including ally in the forwards because his job is to score. I would characterize this roster situation as one where the only thing we have enough of is keepers, and arguably forwards. In a typical match with a full roster, it is useful to have 1 GK (obviously), 4-6 defenders depending on the opponent, at least two at the other tiers, and then fill in. If we're looking at 'what's the best arrangement for the point where we finally have 11 quality players', something like 5-3-2 is a decent try. Other mixes can also work, 6-2-2, 4-3-3, whatever, but I would say 5-3-2 is probably where I would lean personally.

We do definitely need at least one more defender, but beyond that what we do with the other two openings (currently at 8 out of 11 players) is really more a fine point than a necessity. I.e. do we want to emphasize a strong defense, or throw more bodies at the opposition to create more scoring opportunities, or just roll with what we get from the Academy, or whatever.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Is it normal to have so many defenders in this game or is it limited to the lower leagues?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Four is pretty much a hard minimum. You can't have an effective defense with less IMO due to the game mechanics. I just did a quick survey of the Premier League clubs at the current game state; 16 have 4 defenders and 2 have 5. I suppose theoretically you could get away with a '3-high' approach at the top of the box/penalty area against an inferior opponent, but there's not much you're going to get out of a 7th player in the midfield/forward areas that you couldn't do with 6.

Then there are situations like going against dual wing forwards for example. You pretty much have to have a wide defender on each side to prevent them from using Break-In, and then if you just have three defenders in the box well now that's five defenders. I would call that a minimum acceptable setup against the dual-wing attack most of the time. And of course a good DM can cover for some of the weaknesses of the defense while still technically not being a defender.

Having said that, it also varies a *lot* with the opponent. I.e. we noticed multiple times that far better teams were playing 4-3-3 type formations against us, while Oberstaufen was going 6-2-2. If you observe a club over the course of a season, you will see them using several different formations based on who they are playing and they won't all have the same amount of defenders most of the time. It's possible to, for example, just cram six defenders into the box and make it impossible for a cross to succeed if you're worried enough about that.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 24, 2022

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

7.19.26 Backpfeifengesichter @ Erfurt

Here's one of the history graphs, this one for Erfurt. We haven't played them before, and we can see why here; it looks like sold or had some key players retire after the 24-25 season, because they were almost promoted to Second League. Then a free-fall to being relegated last year, and here they are.

Ours is ... decidedly less interesting. At least for now.

Yep, we can see the problem here for sure. They lost their keeper, and they aren't even training a new one yet. On the other hand, their best players have attribute ratings in the 40s and 50s - our best is 28. They will score goals .... but perhaps we can as well.

They didn't even bother trying to dribble through our line, just shooting through everyone. Here's how it looked for ally_1986 ... good odds of scoring here. Their defender intercepted the try though. NiftyBottle made a save to keep it competitive, ally scored late in the half ... but they just punched in another one at the end.

Down a goal at the half, we pretty much needed to even it up at the start of the second period to have any chance. ally rolled a 7 on the shot to ensure that wouldn't happen, and our defense didn't do much better on their next attempt.

We should have scored more, but this was just a case of having no chance to defend.

PotatoManJack and Odd Wilson hit their next Specialization Levels after the match. PotatoManJack becomes an Amateur Defender, and will have Skills to choose from.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

That ... is not the best selection of skills for a traditional defender, to put it mildly. They seem to really want you to be a counter-attacking type. It is useful to have at least one defender with a passing skill for occasions where we make a stop, as it can be hard to get the ball back upfield effectively. Or Head Play if we are willing to wait longer to get it.

Skill - Long Pass, Layoff Pass, or Head Play

Advanced Class - Anything in defense or midfield.

Suggestions

I would lean slightly towards Long Pass from the skills. In terms of class, CD would have the largest impact immediately as you can go around one like we have now with Jossar, but having two of them means you have to challenge one of them to move in on goal. In the long run, having two CDs of the same age isn't great for roster turnover so going with the more flexible DF would be the play, and then we'd probably aim for making our next defender a CD. In this case, taking one of the passing skills and then also Head Play for the second skill would seem advisable.

While it would make our defensive line take longer to get formed, fullback (RD/LD) and DM are also worth considering I think. Both of them would benefit from the passing abilities. I would personally go DF if it was me but you could go any of these directions and not at all be wrong.

PotatoManJack, you are on the clock. What say you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Attribute distribution is good here; already the best passer on the roster and soon will be good enough to consider using in crossing situations when the opportunity arises. Control is also useful against teams without slide tacklers. It seems to me the best options are probably either the 30% XP boost to help him get a few more levels over time, or trying to accelerate skill development by unlocking the Level 3 Trainable. Since universal-class players get a second skill, I would lean a bit in that direction.

Odd Wilson, you are on the clock now also. We'll give both of these through the weekend at least if needed, being a holiday and all.