Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Gangers are hilariously outmatched by Shadowrunners. Everyone is hilariously outmatched by Shadowrunners. The only reason Shadowrun isn't a superhero setting is because everyone is a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Mystic Mongol posted:

Gangers are hilariously outmatched by Shadowrunners. Everyone is hilariously outmatched by Shadowrunners. The only reason Shadowrun isn't a superhero setting is because everyone is a jerk.

I don't really agree with this. Every decent shadow run game I've played, players only survive by keeping their head down and not angering anyone too important. Shadowrun isn't a superhero game because any halfway proficient corp response unit can murder your running team.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SerCypher posted:

I don't really agree with this. Every decent shadow run game I've played, players only survive by keeping their head down and not angering anyone too important. Shadowrun isn't a superhero game because any halfway proficient corp response unit can murder your running team.

Yea, Bob the wagemonkey security guard can get blown to poo poo, but as soon as a corporation really goes 'oh, those guys stole our poo poo, let's murder them' you're going to get hosed right up if you're not careful.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
On a side note, my adept is about to initiate and I would like to take either the deed or oath ordeal as part of that. Can anyone point me towards any mostly benevolent magical groups (hopefully connected to christianity in some way) that my adept can attempt to join. So far my char has been fairly non-lethal, and altruistic, so I'm trying to stay with that trend.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SerCypher posted:

Gangers and cops and red samurai are all absolute chumps compared to 400 BP shadowrunners. It's hard to spend 400 points without having some way to make a clown out of an elite security guard. Their disadvantage is that their antagonists often have bordering on infinite funds. A Red Samurai isn't scary because he's a skilled fighter, he's scary because Renraku can't admit they're not invincible, so if you kill one you'll be dodging hit squads for the next year.

Hit squads armed with missile drones that cost more than every piece of 'ware in the entire team's collective bodies.

As for Adept groups, unless they've changed from third edition (very possible) a group rarely exceeds a dozen members, and is usually much, much smaller--think two or three. This is because everyone's magical wellbeing is linked to every other person not being a dumbass, and if there's open recruiting to every tom, dick, and henry, then you're going to inevitably be breaking that rule.

If you're looking to start an initiation group your best bet is combing through your magical contacts, finding one who shares your non-violent ways, and proposing getting a initiation coven rolling.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Going to take my tabletop group to a nice working vacation in Chicago, and I'm really stoked about it. However, being none too strong in the Awakened ruleset and as I started playing with 4E, I've never used Insect Spirits before and need some tips for portraying them, as well as answers for concrete rules questions.

1. Hybrid Forms. According to Street Magic, they "exhibit signs of the spirits takeover", which in the case of the Invae are probably a pretty clear giveaway. So, if you were me, would you say they looked human at distance and prove a 2-4 die bonus to notice the insecty off-ness until they got real close, or would you say characters are clearly able to see them as horribly broken, chitinous shapes as soon as they enter proper visual range?

2. Hybrid form rules. I may just be bad at tracking down rules, but I can't seem to get a clear idea of the stats for a hybrid form. Whereas True Forms appear as simple as "take spirit stats, give them Materialize", hybrids are the same as their hosts, but augmenting it with their force! Would this mean that an average F4 hybrid has stats around 6-7? That's pretty harsh, especially with immunity and invae spirit bonuses on top!

3. Seeing as this will probably get real hairy for even the combat-specced runners on the players team, what are the rules, if any, for banishing a hybrid form? Do you just banish as normal, and if the spirit is disrupted, the host dies again?

E: Just noticed this:

Mystic Mongol posted:

Gangers and cops and red samurai are all absolute chumps compared to 400 BP shadowrunners. It's hard to spend 400 points without having some way to make a clown out of an elite security guard. Their disadvantage is that their antagonists often have bordering on infinite funds. A Red Samurai isn't scary because he's a skilled fighter, he's scary because Renraku can't admit they're not invincible, so if you kill one you'll be dodging hit squads for the next year.

Hit squads armed with missile drones that cost more than every piece of 'ware in the entire team's collective bodies.

That, and there's, at least when I GM, a middle way. Beat cops are definitely no match for 'Runners, nor are rent-a-cops or corpsec ground pounders - but! They are usually trained to suppress a threat (when/if possible) and (always) seek cover and send for backup - That's where Knight Errant and NYPD Inc. has some really, really heavy and ill-tempered guys in black jumpsuits and armed combat helicopters to draw on, and I see no reason the corps, at least the larger ones, don't have rapid response forces with awakened and augmented combat teams ready to bag intruders who kill or rough up their security.

As always, security is a bottom-line game for the corps. If it costs more than the assets destroyed or stolen to scramble high threat forces, or it would potentially risks higher cost to track them down, the corps let you escape for now. If not, they exterminate you with extreme prejudice.

Everyone might be in on the dirty secret of using shadowrunners, but the corps are just as loath to show weakness as the most belligerent mobsters or crooked cops.

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 22, 2012

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Speaking of being unable to find rules: Someone mentioned somewhere that you can use plastic surgery to increase your Charisma stat. I've found the plastic surgery in Augmentation but I don't see anything about a stat increase. Can someone point me to it?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Swags posted:

Speaking of being unable to find rules: Someone mentioned somewhere that you can use plastic surgery to increase your Charisma stat. I've found the plastic surgery in Augmentation but I don't see anything about a stat increase. Can someone point me to it?

I don't think you can use it to increase your actual stat, since that's mostly mental. You can however use it to get bonuses in certain situations, for example seducing someone. Aka getting a boob job isn't going to help your resist drain from casting spells.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Stuff 'em full of Orihalcum, see if that helps.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Swags posted:

It is listed as an explicitly optional rule on page 23 of Augmentation.

quote:

Cosmetic Surgery
To reflect the ability of cosmetic surgeons to beautify people, any net hits above the threshold on a Cosmetic Surgery Test may grant a +1 increase to Charisma. The maximum bonus obtainable from cosmetic surgery would be +3.
There are various other references to cosmetic surgery or whatever offering bonuses to social tests in augmentation.

quote:

Going to take my tabletop group to a nice working vacation in Chicago, and I'm really stoked about it. However, being none too strong in the Awakened ruleset and as I started playing with 4E, I've never used Insect Spirits before and need some tips for portraying them, as well as answers for concrete rules questions.
1. Page 95-96 Street Magic

quote:

Spirits that are possessing or inhabiting a vessel (see Possession, p. 101, or Inhabitation, p. 100) are harder to spot, though powerful spirits tend to be quite noticeable. To notice a spirit possessing/inhabiting a vessel, an observer must make a Perception Test and beat a threshold of 6 – the spirit’s Force. Success not only notices the possessing/inhabiting spirit, but also delivers some clues as to what the spirit “really looks like.” A character who perceives someone possessed by a loa of Agwe, for example, will detect distinctive traits of the god of the sea. At the gamemaster’s discretion, the use of the spirit’s powers may create an effect like a shamanic mask, adding a +2 dice pool modifier to the Perception Test

Spirits that are inhabiting a vessel with the Inhabitation power are more difficult to spot. Hybrid-form merges require a Perception + Intuition (5) Test to detect the spirit’s presence, though the body’s warped physical features are visibly apparent unless disguised. Flesh-form merges cannot be detected physically. Both hybrid-form and flesh-form spirits are dual natured and easily detectable with assensing
The note about flesh-forms being 'easily detectable' is totally wrong. All flesh forms have aura masking meaning they count as a (Force)-grade init with Masking and Extended Masking. Furthermore, they actually have Realistic form and are joined to a physical body, so the texts suggests they can apparently even pretend to be non-astrally-active mundane.

2. As a note, the three insect spirit forms:
True Forms: You end up with a manifestation spirit. The original thing, whether metahuman or animal, dies. It's like being a member of a manifestation tradition, except each summoning takes several days.

Hybrid forms: You end up with a permanently possessed Thing. It has fragments of the old creatures memories but only to the degree the GM feels is dramatically appropriate. It's like being able to summon spirits with Possession, except summoning takes several days. Has bug parts sticking out of it.

Flesh Form: Totally unique and potentially game breaking.

So are hybrid's awesome? Scroll back to one of my WALLS OF TEXT and you can read the rants of the author of the section about how he intended possession to work. He intended and always playtested possession as ignoring augmented attribute caps. However, the lead designer of Street Magic has decreed they do in fact obey the augmented attribute caps and their interpretation is far, far more defensible by RAW than the original author's intent. If you go by the lead designer/text, they are extremely unimpressive. If you go by the author, they are as good as materialization.

The power of a hybrid spirit is completely dependent on what it possessed. If the insect shaman manages to capture alive a Red Samurai, spend a few days ritually preparing him, and then a week waiting for the Force 6 Soldier spirit to possess it, he ends up with something super-badass. If he hybridizes a triad posse member, he gets something slightly better in combat than a manifesting True Form.

Whatever the case, as with any spirit a street sam with a sniper rifle can pop it every turn or so. A +4 called shot from an ares alpha loaded with APDS is 10P/-5 AP base, so more than sufficient to punch through a Force 6 spirit's immunity. An ares alpha /w APDS on long or full burst (ie no called shot) would need at least two net hits to get through a Force 6 spirit's immunity. I wouldn't worry too much about your samurai's as long as they know it's a bug hunt and come appropriately equipped. Special shout-out to white phosphorous grenades. Mages can help out by having their spirits be in the astral and floating in the air and hurling elemental attacks from where the hybrids can't reach them and manabolting people.

3. Nope. Page 100 Street Magic: "An inhabiting spirit permanently merges with a prepared vessel, and cannot be separated with Banishing or even by the spirits choice. An inhabiting spirit not disrupted until the vessel is killed from Physical damage overflow." Banishing reduces the services a hybrid owes its master. If you reduce a normal spirits services to zero, it departs immediately. If you reduce an insect spirit's services to zero, it does not give a gently caress and just keeps on truckin'. If you use Banishing once its services are zero, you can take control of it.

The only use for banishing is taking control of spirits from other traditions. To banish, you roll Banishing + Magic vs either (Force) if it's unbound or (Force+summoner's magic) if it is and take twice the hits scored by the spirit as drain. Given that Binding is used during the inhabitation process, they probably all count as bound. So every roll to banish an insect spirit inflicts somewhere between 2 and 24 on the poor sap trying to banish it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gobbeldygook posted:

It is listed as an explicitly optional rule on page 23 of Augmentation.

There are various other references to cosmetic surgery or whatever offering bonuses to social tests in augmentation.

I'd allow it as a social modifer, but never a straight up Charisma increase. That's the equivalent of 45 Karma assuming you had a starting Charisma of 1 with three levels of surgery.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks a bunch, Gobbeldygook!

I'm not sure I'd call hybrids 'unimpressive' even if they obey aug max caps, maxed out humans are still a pretty happenin' challenge for my rather new team of inexperienced players, insect powers notwithstanding.

E:

quote:

The note about flesh-forms being 'easily detectable' is totally wrong. All flesh forms have aura masking meaning they count as a (Force)-grade init with Masking and Extended Masking. Furthermore, they actually have Realistic form and are joined to a physical body, so the texts suggests they can apparently even pretend to be non-astrally-active mundane.

I'm aware, and assensing will not reveal anything to the rookie mage's sight, BUT: "The inhabited body exhibits signs of the spirit’s takeover, as the merger physically warps the vessel with visible telltales of the spirit’s own nature". Thus my question on how -much- the merge warps them, and what kind of modifier I should apply to regular old perception checks to notice something off about the hybrids.

E E: I just read up on Realistic Form, and "appearing as a natural part of the physical world" sure seems to rule out any insectoid features. This just conflicts with fluff (including in 4E) where Jackpointers remark on insects having insect parts like mandibles and multifacetted eyes.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 23, 2012

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Tias posted:

E E: I just read up on Realistic Form, and "appearing as a natural part of the physical world" sure seems to rule out any insectoid features. This just conflicts with fluff (including in 4E) where Jackpointers remark on insects having insect parts like mandibles and multifacetted eyes.

No, it doesn't. Flesh forms appear completely normal. When they talk about insect parts, they're talking about hybrid forms. Flesh forms infiltrate places and sabotage them from within, hybrids are body-horror shock troops.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mea culpa, I am talking about the hybrids. Thus, I'd like to know exactly how detectable they are.. Would it be correct to assume that the degree to which the Invae warps the vessel's physical body is proportional to the force of the spirit?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Tias posted:

Mea culpa, I am talking about the hybrids. Thus, I'd like to know exactly how detectable they are.. Would it be correct to assume that the degree to which the Invae warps the vessel's physical body is proportional to the force of the spirit?

Or just whatever is dramatically appropriate. They should definitely all have some insect traits but feel free range it from "human-sized multi-faceted eyes that are hidden behind big Kanye sunglasses" to "antennae and mandibles". Bonus points: Have your players get jumped by a hybrid in a hoody who pretended to be human until he was in melee range and then RAAWWR. They will spend the rest of the campaign pulling their guns on random black dudes in hoodys.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm dubbing this the Treyvae Martins effect without even having used it. :downsrim:

Intersting input. The scenario (using the modified Ares Dragon Down from FC) is calling for hybrids and a true form to show up simultanously, which actually seems kind of dumb. I already had planned for the hybrids to wear scarves, hoodies and gas masks for that apocalyptic-but-not-quite-alarming feel, so using just them instead of the true form would probably be neat. Thanks!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Tias posted:

I'm dubbing this the Treyvae Martins effect without even having used it. :downsrim:

Intersting input. The scenario (using the modified Ares Dragon Down from FC) is calling for hybrids and a true form to show up simultanously, which actually seems kind of dumb. I already had planned for the hybrids to wear scarves, hoodies and gas masks for that apocalyptic-but-not-quite-alarming feel, so using just them instead of the true form would probably be neat. Thanks!

If you're modifying a module, keep in mind the terminology dramatically changed between editions. In earlier editions, they used the terms "good merge" or "good merge flesh form" for what is called "flesh form" in 4th edition, they used the term "flesh form" for what is now called "hybrid form", and true form has always been true form. For a combat encounter, try having the true form(s) be hanging around in the astral and just materialize once combat starts.

Some modules are seriously dumb as hell with massive plot holes. I forget if I shared it with this thread but I converted a 3rd edition module that was to insert a target into a location so they could infiltrate it. The problem was there was no reason for them to actually need to do the run; the subject is stated to have an all-access card and that all of the guards will obey them. I only converted it because it had a magnificent twist at the end.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So, I've heavily altered my technomancer face for tonight's game. Basically I ditched all the bioware, so I'm a face based on glamour, one skill group rank, first impression, and Charisma 7. 13 dice should be enough.

I didn't take any complex forms. They're ridiciulously expensive. Instead, if I need one, I have 16 dice of Threading so I'll just make one that I need on the fly. Odds are, though, that I'm going to be making sprites to do all my dirty work. Wearing form-fitting armor underneath an armored business suit, and my only weapon is a crossbow pistol with a shitload of injection bolts all filled with various poisons (or nanobots keyed to eat flesh).

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Bug spirits never followed the rules--they're not spirits from our world, but from some horrible, unknowable metaplane. What this means in a setting where magic is borne out from the collective subconscious is never really explained--they're probably made by dragon survivors from the Earthdawn setting or something. A lot of the 2nd edition adventure paths revolved around D&D style dungeon crawls in different dimensions are were stupid, and bug spirits are pretty much all anyone cares about from them.

Anyway, long story short, Bug Spirits have Flesh Forms (humans with mandibles and bug eyes) and True Flesh Forms (which look like normal humans but have horrifying, unknowable minds). TFF are also crap at disguising themselves except when they're mysteriously not, and FF are actually OK at disguising themselves with a trench coat and a gas mask because the ruined remains of their human brain lets them understand human culture better than a TFF can.

The exceptions are Mantis Spirits, who exclusively TFF into female hosts and become ultra competent killers slash leaders, usually heading all female organizations of violent killers. You run into them running motorcycle gangs and slowly summoning more insect spirits into the bodies of their subordinates, who's personalities aren't so much destroyed as enhanced so if the gang knows this is happening they're often cool with it. Mantis spirits also have the primary motivation of destroying insect spirits so it's best to leave them alone, in part because they'll kill the poo poo out of you with their bullshit spirit powers.

Also sometimes individual insect spirits break these guidelines when a writer of a novel or adventure path loses track of these convoluted paradigms or decides to ignore them for whatever reason.

Swags posted:

Wearing form-fitting armor underneath an armored business suit,

SSSS IT BURNS

Seriously, though, sounds like a solid character who can adapt to changing circumstances and acquit himself well in combat. Thought experiment for you--if someone asks you why you have an assassination weapon loaded with a payload straight out of a horror simsense instead of a pistol for self-defense, what do you say?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Swags posted:

and my only weapon is a crossbow pistol with a shitload of injection bolts all filled with various poisons (or nanobots keyed to eat flesh).

Get a taser and survival knife, both legal and probably much more effective than some legal disaster waiting to happen at your first metal detector stop.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How about a fake assassination license? :v: Seriously though anything rated R can have a fake license yes? Just be sure to hide the forbidden stuff well and don't keep it in metal containers.

So, um, is there any rule against spending knowledge ranks in a made up simple private language and uploading it to your drones and vehicles so you can give oral orders without anyone knowing what you are saying? For example that "humbug bah zoot zoot" means "kill the elf"? Maybe add a nonsense word in front of it to let your stuff know that it's an order. Hubba hubba humbug bah zoot zoot?

Is there a point in installing a comlink as cyberware in the head? You can just plug in a regular one in a data jack for the same effect, right?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Poil posted:

So, um, is there any rule against spending knowledge ranks in a made up simple private language and uploading it to your drones and vehicles so you can give oral orders without anyone knowing what you are saying? For example that "humbug bah zoot zoot" means "kill the elf"? Maybe add a nonsense word in front of it to let your stuff know that it's an order. Hubba hubba humbug bah zoot zoot?

Sure, why not.

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Poil posted:

Is there a point in installing a comlink as cyberware in the head? You can just plug in a regular one in a data jack for the same effect, right?

You certainly can do that, but the advantage to a cyberware commlink is that it's much harder to remove from your person.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
It's generally assumed that the lower the availability the less people are going to care about it, so a 4R pistol is going to be much less noticeable than a 12R pistol for example?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

homerlaw posted:

It's generally assumed that the lower the availability the less people are going to care about it, so a 4R pistol is going to be much less noticeable than a 12R pistol for example?

3E had extremely detailed and somewhat baroque rules regarding how illegal various things were with an entirely separate line on the equipment chart for legality. In 4E, availability is just a reflection of how available something is on the streets, nothing more.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

homerlaw posted:

Unless the availability is an F instead of an R, go hog wild. Even if it is 4000R, it just means it is nearly impossible to get, but not illegal.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Bigass Moth posted:

Unless the availability is an F instead of an R, go hog wild. Even if it is 4000R, it just means it is nearly impossible to get, but not illegal.

I thought R meant it's possible to get, but you need a permit? Which means you either need a SIN, or - more likely - a Fake SIN to link to the permit. It's fine to have without a permit, but it's one of those things that gets used by groups like Lone Star to give them a reason to arrest you or take you in for questioning at least.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Food Fight recap: Tonight we started a new campaign, and as is mandatory, we started within a Stuffer Shack. 'Cause... you have to.

Players:

1) Proxy: Proxy is my character. A dryad technomancer who is more Face than Hacker (as in, literally having no hacking skill). Basically I compile sprites and make them hack for me while being a face. Proxy is a disguise expert and fairly androgynous, allowing Proxy to work as both male and female. Picture Proxy as looking like a slightly more feminine version of the guy from Tokyo Hotel.

2) Traceur: French mystic adept parkour monk superstar. Skimmer discs, gecko gloves, and a lot of skill at street tagging (along with RFID paint bombs and the like). Traceur is out infiltration and heavy melee guy.

3) Mammoth: A pygmy from the Congo following their Congolese magical tradition (that he made up). Super blasty combat mage. He's played by a dude that lacks common sense sometimes so we occasionally have to reel him in, but he's doing alright. We've decided that since he's a pygmy he has Neotany, because that's the best way to work it mechanically.

Everyone starts in the Stuffer Shack. Proxy is actually buying groceries (note, when Proxy is out and not trying to be a face, the majority of his/her face is covered by a breath mask, Kanye glasses, and huge headphones) and is putting ingredients in her bags. Mammoth is buying the ingredients he needs for his rituals. Traceur is grabbing a coffee with all the extra caffeine he can shove into it.

Ork sprawl ganger walks in and slides a note to the kid working the counter (named Nate!). Nate starts sweating and panicking and trying to open the safe behind the counter. Traceur is in line behing the ork and is just waiting to pay for his cup and go. Nate can't open the safe because he's nervous. Proxy sees this and compiles a Crack sprite with four services. The ork gets pissed and yells, "JUST OPEN THE loving REGISTER THEN!"

At this point, Traceur, from behind the guy, uses Savate to kick the guy in the jaw. He goes down, nearly unconscious. Mammoth then casts Sense Removal on him to take away his sight. The bumbling guy is trying to get away but can't see and is just bumping into stuff. He yells "GUYS, I NEED HELP! GET IN HERE!" His two friends start moving towards the door, which chimes and begins to open.

Proxy orders his/her sprite to get administrator level access to those guys comms (first task), and then uses a Simple Action to unscrew a bottle of vegetable oil and roll it past the front door, because that's all I could think of. It uses edge, and rolls something ridiculous to get that. I was a little surprised. Mammoth sees these guys coming in and launches a Force 2 Lightning Ball out the door at the guys and knocks them both nearly unconscious (and fries the door half-way open). On the thugs turn, they start crawling away back towards their bikes, deciding that gently caress this, lightning balls are a bit too much.

Traceur tries to break the ganger's arm since he's blind and shooting wildly. He fails, so he gets pissed and just punches the guy in the face again and breaks his neck. DM was a little surprised that we managed to beat the encounter in something like a round and a half. But Proxy wasn't done! I then get administrator level access to the dead ork's comm and to the Stuffer Shack's safe. I transfer the money from the dead ork to myself, transfer the money from the safe to one of the other two gangers, and then transfer it from there to me. I then order that comm to do a full reformat of its harddisk, erasing all the data. I then order the OTHER ork's comm to send a small message to LoneStar saying that they were just foiled from robbing a Stuffer Shack by a friendly hacker and they should be hauled away now that they're both nearly dead (--Love Proxy <3 ). I've the signature disadvantage, so I kind of had to.

The runners meet and congratulate each other. Nate gives the other two their purchases for free since they helped (no one actually saw me do anything). I ask him what he's going to do with the dead ork, and he looks at me like I'm retarded, "LoneStar will handle that. I've already called them." I tell him I have a friend that runs a morgue up the street, so maybe I can take him. He says no. I say, how about I take him, and then in exchange for this little favor I get you on the list to get into Valhalla, downtown. Nate says yes. I pack the body into my shopping cart, cover it with my groceries, and then leave it in an alley nicely packaged for my Ghoul contact. I call him, let him know where the food is, and he promises me a 5% discount on my next purchase (Ghoul Fence = best fence). I use my access and my sprite to edit us out of the videos completely.

Traceur hits on Proxy and invites him/her out clubbing to Dante's Inferno. I ask which sin we're going as, and he says Wrath. I buy clothes, and meet him and Mammoth there. I get some girls dressed as Lust all worked up about Nate and tell Nate he should meet us at the club. Kid leaves with four girls thanks to my wordsmithing. I have a new contact that's Loyalty 4 and Connection 1, haha.

Next day we meet up with the Johnson for the start of the Dawn of the Artifacts campaign, who calls only Traceur and I (because Mammoth has hung out to dry). I tell her about Mammoth, because a combat mage from Africa might be useful in Africa. She lets him in, and I negotiate a higher price. We're told we leave in four days, and I spend that time compiling sprites to look for information on our Johnson, our Target, and the Item we're looking for.

GM says we might be gone for a while and that rent's coming up. This is nothing to the other guys, who are basically squatters, but that means a shitload to me. Dryads have symbiosis, and that means I'm tied to my surroundings. I actually have to pay something like 10k NuYen per month to live in a nice place. We go and pull a job for a Mr. Jackson at the Seattle University.

Jackson is a douche. He looks like Scumbag Steve and talks like Ali G. He's called Mr. Jackson because he doesn't know he's supposed to be Mr. Johnson. When he first meets us, he says, "Ya'll's real shadowrunners!?" really loud in a crowded bar. We decided immediately that we hate this douchebag. Jackson wants us to beat up a nerd in his Econ class who's ruining the curve with all his 100s. He's offering some money, but I negotiate a bit more.

We're definitely not killing the smart guy, especially not for this douche. Instead, I make some Data Searches, some calls, some threats, etc, and get the kid into MIT&T as a grad student working directly for some pretty great professors. Proxy avoids in-person conflict, and so sends Traceur to grab the kid, who we tell what's going down and that we need to take some video that makes it look like we've actually kicked the poo poo out of him. Then he leaves to a better place. He allows it, Proxy (The high-Cha actor type) instructs the others on how to act convincingly in the video, and we send the kid off. Proxy tells him he'd better do well and get a job for Horizon in the future (Proxy loving -hates- Horizon, so it'd be nice to have a good guy on the inside). We go back and get our cash from the Jackson, and when he sees how well we 'beat the kid up' he gives us a bit extra. We don't argue, and decide to see if we can pull another mission before our trip to Lagos leaves.

That's where we stopped for the night. Looking like it's going to be a pretty great group. Should have a few more players, a tough rear end PI and a rigger, next week.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think you have to pay karma for new contacts. :v:

Interesting. Your group plays very differently from my group to say the least. No Italian mob contacts, no weird mr Jonsson with a strange obsession with antique phones, no fancy high society crap, no vampire CEOs playing you like a puppet for their amusement, no blood spirits, no strange books your character have severe difficulty putting down, no insane man living way out in the middle of nowhere trying to achieve immortality through magical experiments involving lots and lots of body parts that has twisted the astral plane in the mansion to something out of Call of Cthulhu.

I'm seriously considering stealing the idea of a ghoul fence though, that's really awesome.

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 25, 2012

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
The PI has mob contacts, and the mystic adept has Vory contacts. We haven't met any high powered CEOs yet, but if we survive I'm sure they'll be cool. Proxy's contacts are Lester the Ghoul Fence, Babel the Data Haven Admin (this is also her fixer), and +3@>h3R a free sprite with connections to Flow, my paragon. Mammoth is Hung Out to Dry so he literally has no contacts to begin with.

And I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay karma for contacts. Even if you do, we've never played that way. We always figure if you do the job and do it well you get a contact.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Swags posted:

And I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay karma for contacts. Even if you do, we've never played that way. We always figure if you do the job and do it well you get a contact.

You pay for contacts at char gen because you're getting to pick who your friends/family are. You don't pay for friends you make in game with karma any more than you have to pay nuyen for stuff you loot or steal.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
That's basically what I was saying. Other guy was saying you have to pay karma for new contacts. My group has just never played that way.

That said, I hope the group encounters a bit more horror later. DM has premised us some bug spirits at least.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I still think paying BP/Karma for contacts at Character gen is one of the dumbest decisions ever. Why not just make it "you get Charisma x2 starting contacts" and eliminate the pointless rating system?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cool, I just assumed you had to pay karma for new contacts you pick up as you have to pay for almost everything else.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
There's no cost to networking.

(What kind of RPG would penalize you for building relationships with the NPCs? A poorly designed one, that's what)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

While I don't think you should use Karma for gaining contacts in game, I think using Karma to gain contacts through out-of-game downtime could be helpful. It would be like learning a skill in your character's downtime.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Has there ever been anything written about Pittsburgh?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Has there ever been anything written about Pittsburgh?

Nope.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Looking at Naga as a race and they seem kind of neat. Would it be possible to get them a non-essence draining set of arms? Like a drone backpack with arms or something?

Assuming you give them adept as a quality and increase their Magic, can they be... y'know, useful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Swags posted:

Looking at Naga as a race and they seem kind of neat. Would it be possible to get them a non-essence draining set of arms? Like a drone backpack with arms or something?

Assuming you give them adept as a quality and increase their Magic, can they be... y'know, useful?
Give them eight or ten drone-arm backpacks slaved to an implanted comlink. Congrats, you now have a 30 foot long Awakened robo-centipede.

Holy poo poo, I want to run a game where this happens.

• Locked thread