Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

fez_machine posted:

lmao the first phase of the first boss is piss easy if you've learned how to parry, he'll combo you to an instant death if you gently caress up your first parry sometimes but he's actually pretty slow

Judging by how people complain about enemies having too much health and the first boss. Nine Sols really fucks up by letting you do anything but parry and do parry damage in the tutorial sections.

Yes please tell me more about my gaming shortcomings. Maybe insult my ability to turn on a computer? That might just convince me I was wrong and do actually enjoy the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

sudonim posted:

Holy poo poo it's the exact same aesthetic as unsighted but packaged as a MegaMan legends game somehow

We really need a PC release of MegaMan Legends.

And we need another MegaMan Legends game.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Ultros is on sale, anyone played it? Great reviews and it looks loving wild.

I got the true ending (but did not 100% the map, rare for me in a MV) and I'd only recommend it if you're someone willing to put up with tedium and confusion to see something unique.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
ultros got a glowing review from the financial times. this doesn’t mean anything but I just like mentioning it because it’s so weird that the ft reviews video games

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nrook posted:

I don't think it's inherently impossible to write a cool plot-driven game as a metroidvania. The structure isn't that different from games like Ocarina of Time which made a big impact on people.
For most Metroidvanias that do have a "plot", most of the entire game takes place within one or two "moments" of the overall plot, which is generally necessary if the map is designed for non-linear traversal.

Metroidvanias that place greater emphasis on the in-game plot tend to be much more restrictive about traversal, since you're supposed to explore different portions of the map in response to plot events (or the map actually changes, etc.). Metroid Fusion does this to a frustrating-degree for folks used to Super Metroid's play style. Dread also does, although perhaps slightly more elegantly.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

We really need a PC release of MegaMan Legends.

And we need another MegaMan Legends game.

:same:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am replaying La-Mulana and it still rules. I haven't forgotten all the puzzles, but I've forgotten most of them.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The only puzzle I had to outright cheat i think was unlocking Eden, but I have no clue if there are any actual direct hints that you need to hit one specific block in the Temple of Moonlight

I looked for hours, wrote stuff down, but I ended up caving and having to ask a friend after a few days.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

sudonim posted:

Holy poo poo it's the exact same aesthetic as unsighted but packaged as a MegaMan legends game somehow

(but yeah unsighted is a lot of fun, thx for heads up on this)

Holy poo poo yeah I need more MML styled stuff. Is it coming to consoles?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Swilo posted:

One does not play La-Mulana for the metroidvania aspects. If you aren't into hardcore puzzle solving and getting stumped constantly despite taking copious notes and turning your entire house into a conspiracy theory corkboard, then the games will not be fun. If you are, or that sounds interesting, there is nothing else like them.

i loved the la-mulanas for the metroidvania aspect too, just like 75% of the 'keys' are new information instead of new items. they're some of the most expansive metroidvanias around, the only others that are similar in scope (without the puzzles) are hollow knight and afterimage.

RC Cola posted:

Just finished guacamelee 2 and islets. Both are great games. Highly recommend.

Sell me on La-Lulana 1 and 2 please thread. Just wishlisted them both

i would potentially suggest starting with la-mulana 2 if you're interested since it has a much more approachable beginning that better introduces you to how the game works. for lm1 i'd recommend watching this tutorial video by the devs, since without it you can pretty easily miss some fairly fundamental mechanics early on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtAFGes3Xdo

as others have noted, make note of pretty much all info you come across since you will need it at some point.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Holy poo poo yeah I need more MML styled stuff. Is it coming to consoles?

unsighted did so i'd expect abyss x zero will too. unsighted was incredible and axz seems to basically be to 3d zelda as unsighted was to 2d zelda so i'm really looking forward to it.

it's also getting a new trailer in about a day and a half in the 'future of play direct'. the devs are pretty active in posting footage on twitter too:

https://x.com/TianiPixel/status/1785758914987917633

lih fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 7, 2024

teo4512
Jun 27, 2023

lih posted:

i would potentially suggest starting with la-mulana 2 if you're interested since it has a much more approachable beginning that better introduces you to how the game works. for lm1 i'd recommend watching this tutorial video by the devs, since without it you can pretty easily miss some fairly fundamental mechanics early on:

If you decide to do so however, there are a lot of things LM2 spoils about LM1 that you can't really ignore because understanding the lore of those games is basically required to complete them. Some stuff is also more impactful if you play LM1 first.
While LM2 eases a bit on the puzzle aspect it also makes up for it by having an even more evil trap placement than its predecessor (may be a positive if you like creative trolls from the devs) as well as generally harder combat.
Personally, while I eventually grew fonder of LM2 over time LM1 remains my favorite even if both games are absolutely stellar

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The La-Mulana remake smooths out some of the early stuff you used to have to figure out yourself, like learning how to save. I actually kind of liked having to figure out those basics, so I find it disappointing, but it is for sure more approachable in the remake. I also dislike some of the updated dialogue.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

teo4512 posted:

While LM2 eases a bit on the puzzle aspect it also makes up for it by having an even more evil trap placement than its predecessor (may be a positive if you like creative trolls from the devs)
trying to be vague here but the one lategame sequence with four or five different instakill traps in quick succession is absolutely incredible :allears:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 7, 2024

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Meowywitch posted:

The only puzzle I had to outright cheat i think was unlocking Eden, but I have no clue if there are any actual direct hints that you need to hit one specific block in the Temple of Moonlight

I looked for hours, wrote stuff down, but I ended up caving and having to ask a friend after a few days.

The first puzzle after you "unlock" Eden is what did me in. I definitely also would still be wandering around Chamber of Birth for all eternity without hints.

guppy posted:

The La-Mulana remake smooths out some of the early stuff you used to have to figure out yourself, like learning how to save. I actually kind of liked having to figure out those basics, so I find it disappointing, but it is for sure more approachable in the remake. I also dislike some of the updated dialogue.

I want to go back and make a real try at the original, but having to constantly swap ROMs just to look at the map/save is so miserable, to me.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The Chasm devs announced their new game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1205660/WOLFHOUND/

quote:

Infiltrate a mysterious Axis base in the Bermuda Triangle as one-man army Capt. Chuck “WOLFHOUND” Rossetti. Explore the deadly island and uncover the Nazi's twisted scientific pursuits while wreaking havoc on their forces and horrific creations in this sci-fi WWII Metroidvania!
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257029333/movie480_vp9.webm

No procedural generation this time. The setting is pretty generic but it looks like it could be fun.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Swilo posted:

The Chasm devs announced their new game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1205660/WOLFHOUND/

No procedural generation this time. The setting is pretty generic but it looks like it could be fun.

Looks dope! Love the art and vibe

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

a Rambo like...

lih
May 15, 2013

guppy posted:

i have definitely seen people playing lm1 blind struggle to figure that out for like an hour lol

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Swilo posted:

It's rad that they're making another game. Their interview on Retronauts was fascinating and they've clearly got a ton of good ideas

Disco GreenJackets
Jun 2, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
There's lots of announcements of rad fuckin metroidvanias this weekend

but nothing will really capture the joys I've had with this genre more then Super Metroid/Metroid: Zero Mission/Metroid Fusion

I would literally do anything for just a collection of these games

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nintendo already has Super and Fusion on the Switch apps, so all they need is Zero Mission to make the online + expansion pass the collection you want.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Jumped into Nine Sols, probably halfway through or so. It is really, really, really good. A very strong recommend from me. The best part is definitely how beautiful the art is, but the main selling point is the sekiro style combat. Just a very fun and satisfying game to play. Also really digging the vibe/setting/lore. The pacing of the beginning probably could’ve been improved and sometimes there’s more dialogue than there needs to be, but it’s nice to have an interesting horror-tinged backdrop.

I’ve been playing on the normal mode and having a blast. I’m not sure what the story mode accessibility setting would be like, the game is definitely quite hard playing on the default mode. Definitely not a game that will be for everyone, although again I don’t know if the story mode truly makes the game more manageable for those who don’t want a combat difficult game. The platforming side of things feels good but I could use more of it. Hopefully the end parts of the game will have fun stuff on that end.

The exploration side of things is there, but there isn’t a huge emphasis on that side of things. There are hidden things to find and the word map is typical interconnected metroidvania stuff, but there’s not too much of it overall and it’s not the strong suit of the game for sure. Again, it’s been great so far. Enjoying the combat (or hating it) will probably be the make or break part for people.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yeah, I've really enjoyed it, currently getting my rear end beat by the last boss. Didn't think the parries looked very satisfying in trailers, but somehow it feels really good when I'm hitting the buttons. The major bosses are the real standouts, they're all very fun to learn. Even when it takes me a lot of tries I haven't found them too frustrating.

It doesn't really give you the freedom to head out and explore wherever you want any time, but it does let you choose between a couple of different locations sometimes. Basically like Sekiro, I assume to manage the difficulty against the options you have available. The areas themselves are reasonably elaborate though, and rewarding enough to explore. Even just finding money is nice, because there's a ton of poo poo to spend it on.

Really like how your home base develops. It's basically a little town with some NPCs, like in Hollow Knight, but as you bring gifts back to your boy it gets filled up with art and decorations. There's a new little scene to watch almost every time you head back, it's very charming.

The art is obviously amazing, but I would've liked a bit more variety to the environments. You spend a lot of your time just crawling through the techno guts of the place. Would've liked a little more (melodic) music when exploring too, most of what you get is subdued ambiance. Boss music is sensational though, and each has their own theme.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I got Grime for free a while back, and tried cracking into it recently. Bounced off it after an hour or so.

Is it worth giving another shot? I'm not a huge fan of parry mechanics (which seems required for gaining new abilities). The starting biome and first sets of enemies aren't very engaging either.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The environments and enemies get more interesting and creepier as you go along, but parrying is going to be an important mechanic through the entire rest of the game, so decide accordingly.

Disco GreenJackets
Jun 2, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Any metroidvanias on Steam nextfest?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Disco GreenJackets posted:

Any metroidvanias on Steam nextfest?
Lost Fungus 2! And the next game from Team Ladybug, Blade Chimera.

Also, these have the tag, but you'll have to see how much they actually adhere to the tags yourself (i'm still busy wrapping up a video)

Bo: Path of the Teal Lotus
Clockwork Ambrosia
Exographer
Forgotlings
Stardust Demon
Yars Rising (WayForward)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
this was announced in the Nintendo Direct today and looks lovely. Coming to all platforms; hopefully it plays as well as it looks. FYI, it's from the developer of Shady Part of Me, which was a fairly solid 2D/3D puzzle-platformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX-IBu2GnAY

Curiously, Nintendo's own PR for the game describes it as an adventure-RPG, but there's no sign of any RPG elements in the trailer, and the publisher's PR and the Steam page describe it as a Metroidvania.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

this was announced in the Nintendo Direct today and looks lovely. Coming to all platforms; hopefully it plays as well as it looks. FYI, it's from the developer of Shady Part of Me, which was a fairly solid 2D/3D puzzle-platformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX-IBu2GnAY

Curiously, Nintendo's own PR for the game describes it as an adventure-RPG, but there's no sign of any RPG elements in the trailer, and the publisher's PR and the Steam page describe it as a Metroidvania.

I think Nintendo's on record as not liking the term Metroidvania.

Also Metroid Prime 4 got gameplay footage revealed!

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Kurui Reiten posted:

Probably one of those deals like how google didn't like the verb "googling" because if it became too widespread they could legally lose their trademark

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Kurui Reiten posted:

they could still have described it as an "exploration platformer" or something to that effect. it's just weird

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Barry Convex posted:

they could still have described it as an "exploration platformer" or something to that effect. it's just weird

I'm always amazed that folks are surprised that a game company that has never given a poo poo about anything gamers have decided continues to not give a poo poo what gamers have decided.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nintendo's going to try and bring 'search action' to the west

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

PuttyKnife posted:

I'm always amazed that folks are surprised that a game company that has never given a poo poo about anything gamers have decided continues to not give a poo poo what gamers have decided.

Why are you being such a dick about this lol

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

Of course they don't. They can't make money off of it or shut people down for using it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I've had my interest piqued by the genre lately

Initially picked up Prince of Persia the Lost Crown on a lark, and loved it.
Finished Yoku's Island Express and Dead Cells.

Enjoyed Nine Sols and Hollow Knight but bounced off both a bit on difficulty; may come back to these.

Any other suggestions for less punishing exploration centric titles? I keep seeing Axiom Verge 2 mentioned when googling, but I trust goons more than random reddit

If the answer really is to just "git gud" I'll do it, but it took me _ages_ to get Fromsoft titles to click; like actually years of occasionally trying + bouncing off + returning after a break.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Afterimage's Normal (read: Easy) mode is pretty painless from what I've heard and there's quite a lot to explore. Though I'd check out a couple videos to see if it fits your tastes, of course.

lih
May 15, 2013

axiom verge 2 is excellent and very focused on exploration over combat, there aren't really any proper boss fights.

afterimage is very open in terms of exploration and largely not very difficult on its 'normal' difficulty, that's a decent recommendation too.

lih fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 20, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Walked posted:

So I've had my interest piqued by the genre lately

Initially picked up Prince of Persia the Lost Crown on a lark, and loved it.
Finished Yoku's Island Express and Dead Cells.

Enjoyed Nine Sols and Hollow Knight but bounced off both a bit on difficulty; may come back to these.

Any other suggestions for less punishing exploration centric titles? I keep seeing Axiom Verge 2 mentioned when googling, but I trust goons more than random reddit

If the answer really is to just "git gud" I'll do it, but it took me _ages_ to get Fromsoft titles to click; like actually years of occasionally trying + bouncing off + returning after a break.

Momodora reverie under the moonlight is mostly easy.

so is momodora moonlit farewell although that one’s not interesting enough to be a strong rec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FireWorksWell posted:

Afterimage's Normal (read: Easy) mode is pretty painless from what I've heard and there's quite a lot to explore. Though I'd check out a couple videos to see if it fits your tastes, of course.

I'm playing both Afterimage and Ender Lillies right now. I overall prefer Afterimage but holy poo poo is it's map huge. So far it hasn't been too hard and I'm god awful at video games in my elder years.

Ender Lillies on the other hand doesn't have a huge map but the interface is god awful.