Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I used to think all that stuff made NetHack a great game but now I'm wiser.

I'm honestly still waiting for a game to dethrone Nethack in terms of interaction with the world. There are still very few roguelikes with that kind of capability outside maybe Dwarf Fortress or other games like Minecraft with mods.

It also takes something I normally hate (consumables as an extension of player skills with a shittier ui) and makes it a primary game mechanic top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just kill the drat bunnies, ya buncha sissies

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Strafe is a lot better now than at launch. Well worth the money at this point. </official thread champion for Strafe>

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ADOM does not have 1000 bunnies

I mean it does have bunnies but not for a super sword, it has the Small Cave, and the sword is eerily common in it, and it is the most idiot idea forever and always to ever even think of scouring around to grab it, and even when you have it you will die anyways

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ADOM's 1000 bunnies is finding an early altar at a low dungeon level and sacrificing thousands of monsters on it until you can pray for a pre-crowning artifact.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ADOM's 1000 bunnies is finding an early altar at a low dungeon level and sacrificing thousands of monsters on it until you can pray for a pre-crowning artifact.

Ding ding

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thirsty Dog posted:

Strafe is a lot better now than at launch. Well worth the money at this point. </official thread champion for Strafe>

Is it still all about backpedaling forever while holding the fire button?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Is it still all about backpedaling forever while holding the fire button?

It seems more liberal with the special weapons and upgrades are easier to come by, so you're not as incentivised to play defensively.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/tangledeepgame/status/937076047606112258

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Olesh posted:

My favorite dumb Nethack thing is that if you polymorph into a metallivore, you can eat metal weapons. If you consume a trident in this way, you get a special message ("That was pure chewing satisfaction!") and it exercises your wisdom.

If you polymorph into some thing can eat stone and eat a flint stone, it's coded to give you the message "That was yabba dabba delicious!"

Nothing in the game to date can eat flint stones.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

I think you also get a special ascension message/morgue note if you ascended while polymorphed after genociding your race.

What's it say?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

added to my wallpaper folder :3:

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
For those who have played Unexplored, what the gently caress is this room:

As you can see on the map, there's another room (an alchemy lab) on the other side of this wall, blocked by a bunch of dirt. There's an enemy walking around in there that I can hear, too. I've read magic mapping so I can see the entire map, including secret passages, and there doesn't seem to be a way in here.

Is there a way to blow up dirt walls I'm not familiar with? Shovel didn't seem to work, neither did throwing an exploding plant thing at it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Madjack is streaming his Ludum Dare challenge, come watch if you wanna see the Dungeonmans dev make a game in 48 hours :v:

https://www.twitch.tv/playdungeonmans

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HeartNotes3 posted:

What's it say?

Nevermind, I just tested it and it didn't give anything special (other than the normal "You feel dead inside." message for genociding your own species while polymorphed).

I almost feel cheated, because I had enough faith in NetHack that I figured it would have a message for that sort of thing :(

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I mean you’re a god then, you can just throw the genocide off and restart the race

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/pyrrho12/status/937278448388661248

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Here's a poser: which would be more difficult to win, without any spoilers at all? Regular ADOM win, or Nethack? (otherwise it would default to ADOM ultra win)

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Jack Trades posted:

Man, when a game has something like that I just instantly drop it because I know that I won't be able to stop myself from constantly thinking "well I wouldn't have any problems here if only I prepared by killing 1000 bunnies" and just totally ruins the experience.
This is why it's hard for me to write off the super-optimal-only victory dance customer. It's not like you *want* to have a bad time, you're just wired to go into things hella prepared and if the best theoretical preparation is killing 1000 bunnies, you short circuit. It's not your fault.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Pacra posted:

Here's a poser: which would be more difficult to win, without any spoilers at all? Regular ADOM win, or Nethack? (otherwise it would default to ADOM ultra win)

I think that ADOM isn't as bad as NetHack in terms of sheer obtuseness. Why would I ever drop a ring down a sink, use my dog to detect curses, eat lizards to cure petrification, or whatever?

That said, with spoilers ADOM is harder, because NetHack has so many dumb outs.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 5, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There was someone who managed to beat NetHack unspoiled, but it took them a few years.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I can't say I'm unspoiled at this point, but I started playing both about the same time, I've had at least 50 ascensions in nethack, and never beaten ADOM. The latter seems fonder of dropping something out of depth on my head.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The only way to be truly unspoiled is to have your memory purged after each run. Otherwise you'll spoil yourself by having knowledge of things!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ADOM would be harder simply because it has more to explore and to gently caress up, though I guess it depends on the ending - a normal end would be way easier to stumble into eventually than an ultra end, so I'd call them even

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The only way to be truly unspoiled is to have your memory purged after each run. Otherwise you'll spoil yourself by having knowledge of things!
An unspoiled win is one where you only have knowledge that you yourself have gathered from personal gameplay experience (or reading the game manual). Just no consulting outside sources for advice.

Talk of spoilers is way more common in roguelike communities but I feel like the idea of gameplay 'spoilers' matches way more with puzzle-type games. Antichamber, for example, is fun and interesting physics-bending puzzle/exploration game, but a lot of the game is in figuring out how the rules of the world work. If you were to read some third-party wiki that explained all the game mechanics to you, it wouldn't be much of a game anymore. Of course as a result it doesn't have too much replay value, because you can only have your first playthrough once.
Some people (and i guess this was more common back in the usenet-and-mailing-lists days) like to view roguelikes in the same way, where they're not thinking "how do I win" but "how do I explore and learn more about this unfamiliar world". Spoilers obviously help with the former goal, and give you the opportunity for a lot more deep decisionmaking on your way to ascension (or death), but they bypass the latter goal entirely.

For the record I'm definitely a big spoiler-user. Actually maybe I just like reading wikis in general, because even for non-roguelike games I'll spend more time reading the wiki than playing the game early on and end up with a ton of useless info in my head about some game mechanic that I won't see for 20 hours.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 5, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ADOM has some real gently caress yous for an unspoiled player. The Tomb of the High Kings comes to mind for one.

But I guess Nethack does as well, but I've played ADOM more recently than Nethack so none immediately come to mind.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Do you think designers design these games with the idea that spoilers will be used? I dunno how I feel about that. Seems lazy

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 5, 2017

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SettingSun posted:

ADOM has some real gently caress yous for an unspoiled player. The Tomb of the High Kings comes to mind for one.

But I guess Nethack does as well, but I've played ADOM more recently than Nethack so none immediately come to mind.

The tutorial makes you use a wand of cold to cross a river nowadays, so that's probably a little better.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was referring more to the skeleton within the tomb trying to really hard to confuse you so you fall in the lake and die, which would almost certainly happen if you didn't know it was coming.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Do you think designers design these games with the idea that spoilers will be used?

I definitely think this is something that game designers are a lot more conscious of these days. It's difficult to disentangle it from all the other changes that have happened to game development over the past few decades, but it's certainly no longer true that you can assume that your players will not just go and look up a guide if you piss them off enough. I would also say that a lot of "adventure games" (King's Quest etc.) were designed with the idea that spoilers be used -- and then those spoilers were sold to the players, via guidebooks and help lines!

But as far as NetHack is concerned, I'm pretty sure it was intended to be solved by a community of players; it's just that the community was e.g. "all of the players at this particular university".

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I can imagine that D48 and D49 must be pretty unfun if you're unspoiled. D50 wouldn't actually be that bad, but you'd probably die of corruption the first time.

Pulling off an Ultra unspoiled might as well be a modern update on No Exit.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I feel like instant death to a super cat would stand out. The banshee would kill you, maybe battle bunnies? (I was always spoiled so ive never,not dug through)

Just imaging how many games it'd take to actually survive entering the chaos gate if you did try an ultra. Or hell, you might try to enter the gate thinking you need to for a normal game. It's not like the game has many levers to pull.

Now I think you should be able to stop shifting dungeons from shifting by pulling a lever on the level somewhere

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

But as far as NetHack is concerned, I'm pretty sure it was intended to be solved by a community of players; it's just that the community was e.g. "all of the players at this particular university".
This makes a lot of sense. There's too many weird, vague hints to tell which are true in a reasonable amount of time (unless you're that one incredibly persistent, dedicated maniac). Even having two people collaborate doubles the amount of manhours you can put in. Once you get an entire group of university nerds all in on it? I'd bet anything they were the source of the first Nethack Wiki.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/pyrrho12/status/937838012368433152

Bringing this up again because easily accessible Gearhead! :toot:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/pyrrho12/status/937838012368433152

Bringing this up again because easily accessible Gearhead! :toot:

I don't think this will make it more accessible. The graphics aren't what made it hard to get into for me, it was the complexity and that it was never really finished. It's a drat fun idea but there's not much direction to either of the Gearhead games, though if development is back on for Gearhead 2 that may change.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slime posted:

I don't think this will make it more accessible. The graphics aren't what made it hard to get into for me, it was the complexity and that it was never really finished. It's a drat fun idea but there's not much direction to either of the Gearhead games, though if development is back on for Gearhead 2 that may change.
I recall Gearhead 1 having an actual main plot you could finish, while Gearhead 2 just had "wander around and maybe do random missions for random people".

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Slime posted:

Er, you misunderstood me, sorry!

I meant more than when I first got my hands on Gearheads 1+2 it was through these forums and I had to go to weird websites and it felt like an extremely obtuse process as compared to the usually straightforward "want Infra Arcana? Here is its website okay go" / "here it is on Steam"

Basically the games are the same but there's less hoop jumping in terms of getting the games. Actually playing and understanding them, well, good luck!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Gearhead 2 definitely has an ending. Multiple, semi-randomly generated endings technically. I never got one that didn't boil down to a big old brawl between you and some of the factions you decided to help against your rival and all the people you decided to piss off. Sometimes it spiced it up with a multi-space space cruiser or whatnot.

Edit: Does anyone remember the hotkey for finding hidden encounters? I was trying to be a dance robot who flies around for the sake of world peace but I crashed the game when looking into the shift-1 menu. Also the last time I talked to a doctor about getting treated for mine related injuries the game crashed. This is not the most stable version of G2 around.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 6, 2017

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There is more than just Gearhead 1 + 2 afoot, if luck and courage prevails in the coming times...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SettingSun posted:

The Pyramid is more of a gently caress you for a lot of classes, and it's completely possible to miss it without ever knowing how to get in.