Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

about navalny... it came up on aaron mate's show that within russia, navalny is not considered to be a big-time opposition figure like he's portrayed in the west. perhaps more of a gary johnson type. and his main issue is railing against corruption, which is a big problem. but it's interesting how the western media will boost these figures for their own purposes.

I would say his general support is pretty minor outside of Moscow but he is still known. However, from the evidence at hand, the events of the last few months have only really confirmed to many Russians outside of Moscow that Navalny was always working with the West. In Moscow, he has his heavy-duty core of supporters, but even then they are only a very discreet portion of the population (usually English speaking and/or members of the intelligentsia.)

Navalny was doing better in Russia when he was pretty much just posting anti-corruption videos, something most people agreed with, but when it suddenly became a showdown between Western governments/Navalny/Bellingcat versus the Russian government...it didn't work as well. Also, that entire phone-call came off as goofy and it is really unclear how the entire thing was supposed to help get the Russian public on Navalny's side considering how it came off (including the "mysterious leaks" surrounding it.) In the end, Navalny got de facto banned and the West really doesn't have a strong back-up plan to put interior pressure on the Kremlin I don't think his movement is necessarily over, but his supporters are rhetorically pinned the more Navalny only sides with the West.

Ultimately, I think both he and the West error'd by making Putin/the FSB focus of their attention rather than really trying to appeal to average Russians if they had actually intended to actually maintain support in the country itself. Otherwise, it seems mostly for foreign-consumption. In that case, the fact that it is a circus makes far more sense to get Germans to put pressure on Merkel over nordstream 2.

Otherwise at this point, besides Yabloko, all the other major political factions are either Kremlin-aligned (KPRF/LDPR) or are left-wing/far-right nationalists that even more anti-Western.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Putin is clearly planting the seeds for an eventual retirement at some point, but honestly, it could easily be a decade-plus from now since so far there really been a strong candidate for an heir. Also, it really depends of particularly who gets in charge and if they are HSE-aligned liberals or not.

Also, to throw more info out there, right now there is a bit of a housing bubble in Moscow due to low-interest rates and subsidies, but it is unclear what the next year will hold. If energy prices rise, it may buoy the ruble but at the same time more economic activity may increase with the virus coming under more control. Ultimately, a recovery in energy prices would take pressure off the Kremlin but it is unclear how much further economic support they are going to putting forward.

In my opinion, as far as threads go, there probably should be some limits. I could see the former Soviet Union working in an Eurasia thread, but the EU/UK/Japan etc would probably better in their own current threads. I could see instances (like the Baltic states) where there would be overlap but the EU is pretty inwardly focused as a whole.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:38 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

In my opinion, as far as threads go, there probably should be some limits. I could see the former Soviet Union working in an Eurasia thread, but the EU/UK/Japan etc would probably better in their own current threads. I could see instances (like the Baltic states) where there would be overlap but the EU is pretty inwardly focused as a whole.
yeah i agree. well CSPAM is pretty informal as it is, but i haven't really thought about it much. we have been been talking about soviet history ITT which is obviously of massive relevance and importance to china, and it makes sense for it to encompass the former USSR in central asia, china, india, korea, SE asia. and we're not really talking about russia elsewhere, and this thread is pretty active, so it makes sense.

an EU-china trade deal obviously fit into the subject matter, but beyond that the EU isn't really what this is about

but :justpost:

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Jan 3, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
For Eastern Bloc countries, any class conflict/financial system reform/history related topics fit into this thread. But if its a topic like abortion/gay marriage referendum to score more EU points, it fit into the EU threads better.

Cuba news obvious should be discussed in this thread.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
is this the thread for Moon and Mars politics too? or just the entire planet Earth

Swaegsthetics
Jul 8, 2013
i propose three criteria:

1. on the Eurasian continent

2. touched by either former colonialism from without or marxism-leninism from within

3. not Japan or Ottoman land

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Yes please, lets draw the line at like the caucuses/russia, I don't wanna see poo poo about portuguese municipal elections or whatever in this thread

Swaegsthetics
Jul 8, 2013
or wait what about "CIS and historical Chinese tributary states thread"

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I hope that we'll also be allowed to make Oceania and Eastasia threads too.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Stop asking questions, citizen, you have been warned

THS
Sep 15, 2017

if its about a country where they dont speak english, im going to post about it in this thread

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

THS posted:

if its about a country where they dont speak english, im going to post about it in this thread
Is Scotland a country yet?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

tired: is taiwan a country?
wired: is scotland a country?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Apologies if already covered here. Right wing media is saying that someone named Zhang Zhan / 张展 was supposedly arrested recently for misinfo during early COVID. Do we know anything at all about them from the Chinese side? Or is it all just western media telling some possibly false story about them?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Happy Thread posted:

Apologies if already covered here. Right wing media is saying that someone named Zhang Zhan / 张展 was supposedly arrested recently for misinfo during early COVID. Do we know anything at all about them from the Chinese side? Or is it all just western media telling some possibly false story about them?

Found this a while ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jingjing_Li/status/1344094630854291456

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Judging by those videos.... She's an unhinged karen and the western media transformed her into a global hero.

Imagine if someone attacked, multiple times, a government sanctioned (it looks like the military was manning one of the ones she attacked) checkpoint in the united states.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Swaegsthetics posted:

or wait what about "CIS and historical Chinese tributary states thread"

the second part is okay, but why do we have to talk about cis people too

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Kindest Forums User posted:

Judging by those videos.... She's an unhinged karen and the western media transformed her into a global hero.

Imagine if someone attacked, multiple times, a government sanctioned (it looks like the military was manning one of the ones she attacked) checkpoint in the united states.

We arrested our own version the other day, but I doubt she'll get 4 years in jail over it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9101999/Anti-lockdown-activist-46-arrested-secret-hospital-footage.html

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Box office revenue in the Chinese mainland topped 20.417 billion yuan ($ 3.1 billion) in 2020, surpassing that of North America ($ 2.1 billion) to become the world’s largest movie market, industry data showed on Saturday.

The milestone, which followed by record-breaking box office on New Year’s Day, was supported by the country’s effective epidemic prevention and control measures that allowed moviegoers return to cinemas, while theaters elsewhere remain largely closed, according to a survey China’s ticket platform Beacon sent to the Global Times.

The national theater resumption rate reached 94.8 percent by the end of 2020, China’s ticket platform Maoyan announced on Friday.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i wanna go see a movie in a theatre again goddammit

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Kindest Forums User posted:

Thank you. Her Wikipedia page is so staggeringly non-neutrally worded from the very first sentence that it reminds me of media BS spun up spy agencies to spin an asset as persecuted whenever they're caught in the middle of sabotaging something. She's obviously got western influences but who knows, she seems too much like an ineffectual nutter and not well funded enough for an asset. She seems like a nobody yet that didn't stop the headlines in the US about the situation being basically worded to say "China has just thrown the entire body of researchers who spoke up about COVID into torture jail because they made China look bad"

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 11:42 on Jan 3, 2021

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Happy Thread posted:

Thank you. Her Wikipedia page is so staggeringly non-neutrally worded from the very first sentence that it reminds me of media BS spun up spy agencies to spin an asset as persecuted whenever they're caught in the middle of sabotaging something. She's obviously got western influences but who knows, she seems too much like an ineffectual nutter and not well funded enough for an asset. She seems like a nobody yet that didn't stop the headlines in the US about the situation being basically worded to say "China has just thrown the entire body of researchers who spoke up about COVID into torture jail because they made China look bad"

She was getting pushed by Falen Gong / appeared on NTD from what I've heard, which doesn't help.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ah. Spook then.

I had a native speaker put her name into a Chinese search engine and absolutely nothing pops up. At first I thought it was alarming that China would just let the US form the complete narrative about some tragic hero whistleblower story without bothering to tell any different side of the story. But once there are spies involved it makes sense. When China arrests someone for spying I'm guessing they do not want a big diplomatic incident with their big abusive economic partner so they censor the search results, whereas the US establishment is as usual willing to spout whatever poo poo about China it pleases in the act of covering for its own agents.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 13:01 on Jan 3, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Happy Thread posted:

Ah. Spook then.

I had a native speaker put her name into a Chinese search engine and absolutely nothing pops up. At first I thought it was alarming that China would just let the US form the complete narrative about some tragic hero whistleblower story without bothering to tell any different side of the story. But once there are spies involved it makes sense. When China arrests someone for spying I'm guessing they do not want a big diplomatic incident with their big abusive economic partner so they censor the search results, whereas the US establishment is as usual willing to spout whatever poo poo about China it pleases in the act of covering for its own agents.

New to China?

Anyway her biggest problem was she actually worked with Fulun gong. Her conviction letter mentioned it. A lot of people argue she doesn't desert 4 years, but "trying to report covid" was not the reason she got the long sentence. On one of her video she actually said "you guys (Covid quarantine border guards) are doing what's needed to prevent disease, but preventing virus is not as important as procedural justice and the truth" which out her own motive.

If she just film a video of hospital chaos, or patient/mask delivery issues, and share it on wechat, she wouldn't get into trouble. A lot of people did that in Feb.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Anyway her biggest problem was she actually worked with Fulun gong. Her conviction letter mentioned it.

Where did you read her conviction letter?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It still means that all the news available about her is for consumption of English speakers only.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

It still means that all the news available about her is for consumption of English speakers only.

That’s the case with like, a lot of poo poo

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well Mike Pompeo is demanding her release, which given how things are in the US would be entirely internally consistent.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sincx posted:

I'm sure the PRC would be happy to trade her for Meng.

Meng is being held in Canada tho

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Chomskyan posted:

https://www.bbc.com/zhongwen/simp/chinese-news-55464308

Search for the keyword 大纪元

Btw I can still find her news with just her name on baidu.com, first few returns are even anti CCP blogs, only in the later links you see Hu jinxi's weibo post.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sincx posted:

Lol we all know who's calling the shots

If the US DOJ drops its extradition demand, Meng would be freed immediately

yea true. in any case theres no way the us government cares as much about zhang as they do about going after huawei

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chomskyan posted:

Even the english media said she contributed to epoch time and radio free asia. Either she's the most idiotic reporter in the country or she was an asset

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I see petrochemical students also study how to strike a pose in school.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sincx posted:

The difference between media in China and media in the US is:
media in China is all propaganda, but everyone knows it's all propaganda
media in the US is also all propaganda, yet people think it's not

E.g.
https://twitter.com/jscros/status/1345798356732440576

also chinese news media propaganda includes positive stories and good role models and not just constant negativity

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

what I like is that they call posters 'netizens'

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://www.bbc.com/zhongwen/simp/chinese-news-55464308

Search for the keyword 大纪元

Btw I can still find her news with just her name on baidu.com, first few returns are even anti CCP blogs, only in the later links you see Hu jinxi's weibo post.

Oh. We searched weibo and found nothing

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Happy Thread posted:

Oh. We searched weibo and found nothing

https://s.weibo.com/weibo/%25E5%25BC%25A0%25E5%25B1%2595?topnav=1&wvr=6&b=1

Weibo gives me results. Maybe adjusting results via IP, but then again I'm in Taiwan which is very definitely a part of China I hear so they surely would be censoring!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just clicked that link on my desktop and I see it, but when she searched on her phone app it suggested 张平 and only showed results related to a show 《张公案》