Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

XIII posted:

I bought a bunch of Aukey USB-C cables, an Aukey Quick Charge 3.0 car charger, and an Anker Quick Charge 3.0 wall charger without checking any specs. Now I plug my 6P in all willy-nilly because my life insurance policy won't pay my family a single red cent if I kill myself. Sure would hate to have an "accident"

Dead man walking, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Anker isn't a cheap (as in quality) or incompetent company, yet they still managed to get caught out and need to recall cables.

The cable in question was USB-IF certified, so if nothing else that points to incomplete coverage in the testing regime.

In this case, it looks like if you unplugged the cable from the charger after switching from a high power device, you should be fine. The issue was the resistor in the cable wasn't allowing the voltage to drop far enough to inform the charger that the high power draw notebook disconnected. So, if you connected something else, it wouldn't renegotiate power and provide the same level of power to that new device.

The fact that this got though certification testing is pretty damning. Since power negotiation is a pretty large part of the USB-C spec, they should be covering this use case.

Granted the USB-IF hosed up, but again, Anker didn't follow the incredibly straight forward RFC.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Rip my note 7 has dead pixels, gonna go get it replaced.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

beaner69 posted:

Rip my note 7 has dead pixels, gonna go get it confiscated by Samsung.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

beaner69 posted:

Rip my note 7 has dead pixels, I wasn't samsung'd enough, so let's give it another go.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
My beloved 2014 Moto X is dead. I plugged it in to my computer, it got hot and died, and now it just goes through a 15 second reset loop when plugged in. I assume this means that the charger is hosed. I'm guessing this is probably not in any way fixable but I figured I'd ask you guys what you think. I'd call the phone repair shops around me, but my backup phone apparently also died at some point in the past 9 months.

Really not looking forward to the prospect of a new phone that is worse than this one in every way I care about.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hope the new nexus has that moto x thing where I wave my hand in front of the screen and it tells you the time and stuff. That poo poo is neat

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I hope the new nexus has that moto x thing where I wave my hand in front of the screen and it tells you the time and stuff. That poo poo is neat

Since the Nexus 6, a Nexus made by Moto, doesn't have it, don't count on it. The Moto X has IR sensors to make it happen, it isn't just a software thing. I agree with you wholeheartedly, but it won't happen.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I think the rumor is that the Not Nexuses will have the "tap screen to wake" thing that LG did/does. It's not as good as Moto's IR sensors but it's better than picking your phone up off of a surface like some sort of caveman.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

New Samsung recall program provides Note 7 users with a free sub-ohm vape so that it can blow up in your pocket and kill you before their phone does

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Question for S7 Users: Do you find yourself having to unmount and remount your SD card from time to time? Or did I just get a slightly defective microSD card?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm having an issue with the Play Movies app. This just started yesterday from what I can tell but whenever I click on a show to watch it just loads up a black screen and only plays audio. This is happening on both cell data and on my home WiFi.

This is on a 6P and if it matters I'm not rooted or anything like that. This just seems like a background change from one day to the next.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Away all Goats posted:

Question for S7 Users: Do you find yourself having to unmount and remount your SD card from time to time? Or did I just get a slightly defective microSD card?

Never had to.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/01/exclusive-googles-new-phones-will-be-called-the-pixel-and-pixel-xl/

According to a AP source, Google is dropping the Nexus name and calling the new phones the Pixel and Pixel XL.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

(sadly kisses her brand-new Note 7 goodbye; hopes it will return with the wild geese in the Spring)

The pictures are pretty gaudy. Gizmodo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh wait, did I read the other articles wrong? Only 0.1% of Note 7s? For some reason I read that as 0.1% of all Samsung phones. That's a pretty recall recall then....

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh wait, did I read the other articles wrong? Only 0.1% of Note 7s? For some reason I read that as 0.1% of all Samsung phones. That's a pretty recall recall then....

That's a pretty huge issue for something that is supposed to sell 10 million units. I can't find total preorder or presale numbers, but 400,000 sales in South Korea as of a few days ago and a 0.1% exploding phone rate means 400 exploding phones there alone a week after launch. Not sure if you're really saying that's a small issue??

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah because companies never downplay there number of affected products leading up to a massive recall (that's unprecedented and never been done before with cell phones)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus christ chill out, I'm not defending anything, was just commenting on how I misunderstood the scope of the recall.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Oct 4th possible Nexus Pixel phone announcement date

No release date or pricing info yet.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 2, 2016

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Got my replacement note 7 and it was made in china so I think I'm safe. I read that its the ones from korea and Singapore that can explode.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN11806C

Looks like Google killed Project Ara, or at least Google isn't doing their part of it anymore.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Skeezy posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/01/exclusive-googles-new-phones-will-be-called-the-pixel-and-pixel-xl/

According to a AP source, Google is dropping the Nexus name and calling the new phones the Pixel and Pixel XL.
Makes more sense than anything else, but pixel afaik is supposedly built in house not based on another company's design.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
OK my phone has been resurrected. For anyone who ever runs into this kind of restart loop, try just letting it stay plugged in for a long rear end time. Eventually the battery will completely die from the endless restarting and then apparently it will charge and magically fix itself. I was afraid it was going to catch fire so I put it somewhere safe and just let it go.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Skeezy posted:

But, there's already a pixel... That doesn't make any sense. Goddammit Google.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

SB35 posted:

You mean the Chromebook Pixel I think

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

nocal posted:

You mean the Chromebook Pixel I think

Correct. These similar names will never get confused

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'll be interested to see how Samsung handles the Note 7 recall, I imagine this would leave a lot of people without a phone.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Samsung hate in this thread is outrageous when it seems to me that when people post with hardware problems it's usually a Nexus.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nobody's ever disputing the quality of their hardware.

Explosive phablets aside.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Samsung hate is because when you have a dodgy phone, it's bad when it breaks. When you have a Samsung, it just irritates you very slightly every day.

If you're the type to take issue with Samsung's stuff, anyway.

Anyway, the latter is much better at generating hate than the former.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 2, 2016

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The note4 had a lot of things that didn't gel with me but I've been stoked with every aspect of the note 7, I'm hoping it's a selective recall if it gets that far. A bunch of Australian telcos and retail stores have stopped selling the phone temporarily based on the few reported exploding models (one of which included a 3rd party cable + adapter in the aftermath pic), they all seem to be running with the unconfirmed articles instead of direct advice from samsung.

Is anyone else having problems with Facebook Messenger since yesterdays update? I couldn't receive pics today so I reinstalled it and now can't even sign in, seems to be a few others with the same issue with the android app.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

RandomCheese posted:

The note4 had a lot of things that didn't gel with me but I've been stoked with every aspect of the note 7, I'm hoping it's a selective recall if it gets that far. A bunch of Australian telcos and retail stores have stopped selling the phone temporarily based on the few reported exploding models (one of which included a 3rd party cable + adapter in the aftermath pic), they all seem to be running with the unconfirmed articles instead of direct advice from samsung.

It's a global recall and all sales are being halted per Samsung.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37253742?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

To clarify, they're recalling every single Note 7, not just the 0.1% (since they don't know which ones are the 0.1%).

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Well there we go. Glad that it's a straight swap instead of repair. I'm probably going to keep using mine until the replacements are ready, because I like to live dangerously like that. I will however only charge it when I am nearby and not sleeping, because really I don't like to live quite that dangerously.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Am I being paranoid regarding my Note 7? I usually charge it while I sleep and I plug it in to my car for Android Auto when driving, and I'm genuinely concerned something might happen now. I haven't had any problems with it thus far, but now I'm just nervous as hell, and I unfortunately don't have a spare phone I can just use until a replacement can be done.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Variable_H posted:

Am I being paranoid regarding my Note 7? I usually charge it while I sleep and I plug it in to my car for Android Auto when driving, and I'm genuinely concerned something might happen now. I haven't had any problems with it thus far, but now I'm just nervous as hell, and I unfortunately don't have a spare phone I can just use until a replacement can be done.

When the manufacturer straight up says your phone might explode I wouldn't call it paranoia.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

loving glad I waited for an unlocked version to be released officially because :laffo: I was almost over never wanting to get a Samsung phone again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SB35 posted:

Ehh, lots of product lines share a single word with modifiers.

Alan_Shore posted:

The Samsung hate in this thread is outrageous when it seems to me that when people post with hardware problems it's usually a Nexus.
That's a solid methodology if I ever heard of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

Not that I've had any hardware issues with any Nexus device since the creaky screen on the N7 2012 but who cares anyway when Google will next-day cross-ship me a new one? I'd rather have a cheaper phone and fast updates.