Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Cowslips Warren posted:

Then she added how technically the jobs robots will one day do instead of humans aren't REALLY hard jobs and anyone can do them, and she hates the idea of paying people to be lazy, because those jobs are pretty mindless and easy to do. Says the oval office whose job is literally to talk about her opinion for four loving hours about how lazy other people are. Oh, and can't forget she added that when she was a kid, her dad lost in his job in the steel mill but went back to school to learn computers so it is totally possible for everyone else to do the same.

Spicy opinion bot will have the last laugh with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

Spicy opinion bot will have the last laugh with her.

Spicy opinion bot has better opinions.

Technically the jobs robots will one day do instead of humans aren't jobs. Robots are tools. Human jobs include anything that requires more than a tool. Anything can be automated using software. The job descriptions, not the jobs themselves, exist for our convenience.

In short, robots will make a number of things obsolete, including the job of caring for, building, fixing, and protecting a population of people.

This is my latest and final blog post.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still wonder how much store shrink happens from those self checkout kiosks.

(disregarding the rest of your post) the amount of shrink caused/allowed by self-checkouts is nowhere close to the amount of payroll it saves making one cashier cover 9 lanes at once

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

You seem angry about the idea of UBI. Is there anything you need to get off your chest?

I'm for UBI, I think it will never happen in the US but it really should.

What I'm sick of is having to listen to this radio show when I'm in our main depot. Headphones are not allowed.

Random retail thing, but other than some (not even all) Walmarts, are any other grocery stores 24/7 or has that faded out? I thought most of them used to be. Boils back down to paying people, as always, right?

edit: the Kroger near me used to be 24, now it closed at midnight and opens at 5am. I don't know if anyone is there during those hours, because from 5am till maybe 7am almost every aisle is blocked with stockers trying to work while people crowd carts around them.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 24, 2019

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

retail worker life is getting up on a friday or saturday and seeing that it's beautiful out and getting mad because it means the store will be loving intolerable

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sankis posted:

retail worker life is getting up on a friday or saturday and seeing that it's beautiful out and getting mad because it means the store will be loving intolerable

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sankis posted:

:hai:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"why are you inside on such a wonderful day"

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I just think they realized that having the store open twenty-four seven doesn't really make a lot of sense. In some areas, it'll generate profits. In many others, it is, at best, a pointless labor cost, and at worst, a liability. Don't forget that people, not cameras, are the main detriment to people stealing.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I let a cabbage roll slightly off the scanner at the self checkout machine and it rang up as a penny because it only weighed .2 oz or whatever. Nothing happened, when I bagged it I didn’t get any error messages.

I feel bad though so I might go back up there and pay them the $0.78

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Pentaghastly posted:

I let a cabbage roll slightly off the scanner at the self checkout machine and it rang up as a penny because it only weighed .2 oz or whatever. Nothing happened, when I bagged it I didn’t get any error messages.

I feel bad though so I might go back up there and pay them the $0.78

If ever you feel bad about something like that, remember that it is a company, run by people like your store manager, and staffed by people like you.

A customer could walk out the door with a cart full of ribeye and I wouldn't give a gently caress.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

"why are you inside on such a wonderful day"

"Because I live in a shoebox that costs 2/3 of my income and wages haven't budged since the 1970s."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm a total idiot customer because I actually have gone back inside when the cashier didn't scan something that was on the bottom of the cart. I could have sworn stores like Wal-Mart actually push charges against theft, or all the stupid signs they have in the restrooms just to scare people?

it still boggles the mind that people just steal from stores, and it also boggles the mind that that kind of stuff is written into a stores budget!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
For the most part, people don't get charged for shoplifting. There are several layers of "someone must care" to go through. The employee who witness it must care enough to tell a manager. The manager must care enough to tell LP. LP must care enough to contact the police. The police must care enough to actually come to the store. And after all that the person will most likely get a slap on the wrist and will be back on the streets the next morning. And they know that is the case and just do it again.

Speaking of crimes, I enjoy how full ghetto my area has become. We have people coming to the back of our building at 3 am when we open the gates for our freight trucks to steal pallets, I've taken to bringing any brown pallets outside into the building when I open it up. One of the many homeless camps around the area has stolen one of our handicap scooters and called in so we would give them a finders fee for it. We've also had someone, right in front of the store at night, pop open one of the handicap scooters and steal the battery out of it for that sweet 10 dollar core recycling fee. Oh and we also have to put our tide pods and similar cleaning products under lock and key cause apparently crack heads throw it in bottles of water and drink it to get high?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'll actually go back and pay for poo poo because I'm honest to a fault even if it clashes with my morals and beliefs re: corporations.

However, I'm A-OK with not narcing on anyone else because I only apply it to myself. I'll totally rat your rear end out in a heartbeat if you steal from another worker or a ( not rich ) customer tho.

Leal posted:

For the most part, people don't get charged for shoplifting. There are several layers of "someone must care" to go through. The employee who witness it must care enough to tell a manager. The manager must care enough to tell LP. LP must care enough to contact the police. The police must care enough to actually come to the store. And after all that the person will most likely get a slap on the wrist and will be back on the streets the next morning. And they know that is the case and just do it again.

It's so pointless and there are so many hoops to go through I'm amazed the managers give a poo poo. They even know who's doing most of the stealing and corporate won't just let them ban the dudes from the store. We never call the cops. But they still insist on stalking the people and poo poo.

You have to try to get arrested for it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Oh and we also have to put our tide pods and similar cleaning products under lock and key cause apparently crack heads throw it in bottles of water and drink it to get high?

They sell it. It’s useful enough and untraceable enough that it’s easy to convert to cash so it’s accepted as payment by parts of the underground economy.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm always impressed that my whole foods has actual undercover guards and armed security. It seems hardcore for a grocery store but it's very visible.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Midjack posted:

They sell it. It’s useful enough and untraceable enough that it’s easy to convert to cash so it’s accepted as payment by parts of the underground economy.

For as much as I hope you're joking about this, it sounds completely bat-poo poo insane enough to be totally legit.

In other news, I've just been dealing with the usual gaggle of stupid people, like "What kind of pawn shop won't take a camera and a TV?" 'we're not a pawn shop, ma'am, we just deal with video games.' or meming about the Ouya finally dying off. However, the owners seem to be having some marital difficulty, to the point of separation and possible divorce, so there's a whole lot of mixed emotions about that going on from all the managers. poo poo kinda sucks to see two of your friends be going through that kinda thing, whether they're the ones paying my paychecks or not. Not a whole lot I can do on my end, though, so it's mostly been just shrug it off and get back to work.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Aniodia posted:

For as much as I hope you're joking about this, it sounds completely bat-poo poo insane enough to be totally legit.

Where do you think the giant tables of half price household goods at flea markets come from?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Aniodia posted:

It’s real:
https://consumerist.com/2013/01/18/how-tide-became-an-underground-currency/

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/01/14/why-would-drug-dealers-use-tide-as-a-currency

https://amp.businessinsider.com/the-tide-black-market-2013-1

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm always impressed that my whole foods has actual undercover guards and armed security. It seems hardcore for a grocery store but it's very visible.

It's so they can shoot black people.

Probably.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Two of our departments ( one of them mine ) are in an absolute shambles. To my ( and the other worker's credit ), it is through no fault of our own. I've been on vacation. She's had her hours cut. poo poo, they didn't even give me enough time to finish my trucks this week- it's been almost... liberating, knowing there was nothing I could possibly do to finish my job.

Even if the truck didn't show up three hours before close.

Now, you might be wondering why I think this is funny, and the answer is two-fold.

The first reason is, I accepted my department was going to get absolutely Shrek-level swamped before I even left. Always is. It's a miserable job and nobody wants to do it.

The second reason is the store manager has been on vacation, has no idea how bad things are, and returns on my day off.

I'm going to have a great day not answering my phone.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Love it when my opener fucks up QC and I get the customer's wrath.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The shoes look like they're for hipsters so actually I think Sample B's font is an artistic enhancement and you should charge extra for it

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I think they're supposed to be advertising flyers and it's kind of a detriment if the potential customer can't read them.

Anyways, my mini rant:
My mom at least once a week when I worked 60 hour weeks on the regular: "Haven't you thought about getting another, better job?"
Me: "Yeah, with what time? And how many kitchen jobs you got hanging around making $11/hour WITH insurance?"

My mom every other time she catches me coming in during the night after getting VTO'd from Amazon: "Are you hurt? Oh, you just went home early? Haven't you thought about getting another, better job with more hours?"
Me: [takes a moment to swallow my rage at her boomer incomprehension because she is my mother and I love her] "You got another job lined up for me that pays better than $15.60/hour with Amazon's absolutely bonkers insurance?"

Like I know she wants me get the boomer fantasy of "well paying office job" but where exactly are those? I came home early tonight because it's a paid holiday at Amazon. Which means 1.5x pay, which means everyone and their dog is in and no one wants to leave. I wanted to stay the entire night but so did everyone else and we had light work. I left because I realized I was at the point that if I got asked if I wanted VTO one more loving time from one more manager I'd chuck a box at their head and I'd like to still have a job tomorrow. As poo poo as a job at Amazon is, I've worked so many worse ones. And besides, Amazon still gives me a free 8 hours of holiday pay just for being scheduled to work on a Federal holiday even if I don't show up so I'm not exactly hurting for wages.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Boomers don't realize the work force the way they had is, has been gone for loving decades. That's one reason the comic Dustin pisses me off so much: the son is 'lazy and layaround and can't hold a job' but he's shown having multiple jobs, including being a sub teacher, but has to live at home, has a lovely family that mocks him for being 'lazy' when the parents are loving boomers elite. Clearly it's the fault of their son for not getting a good lawyer job like his dad has, or a radio talk show host like his mom, instead of no business paying good wages, no real stability, etc.

Also, the writer of said comic believes grocery store baggers make $18 an hour so really it is the fault of the precious snowflakes they aren't rich.

Same people believe fast food work is for teenagers (despite the places being open 24/7) and not real work, not like their desk job! Retail workers are lazy slobs, that's why they don't get a good job!

There are few good jobs. And less good jobs with the pay the boomers would call good.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The vast, vast vast majority of the jobs created since the great recession have been part-time. Anyone that argues otherwise shouldn't be taken seriously, because they ain't looked at the stats released by the US government. That's just the way it is, now. It's part of why the 'gig economy' is a thing.

So you're an average dude with an average job. Maybe you've been to college and just ain't found a job opening in your chosen field- common enough. Or maybe you, like so many Americans, just didn't have access to higher education. Maybe you had a bad home life, maybe you were born into the wrong zip-code, or maybe you just made a few mistakes when you were young. So it goes.

Many part-time jobs these days pay above minimum wage, but below a living one, meaning the average Joe's liquidity has the consistency of a seventy year old year man's midnight piss stream.

Now, there are full-time jobs ( no one's saying there ain't ), but what's available ain't what anyone would call a great opportunity. I know. I look for myself. I know, because I listen to others. Single folk don't make enough to live alone. Couples don't make enough to spend time with their kids. Either you're working forty hours and trying to make ends meet with the frantic energy of a thief hot-wiring a Civic two-blocks from a police station, desperate for a spark, or you're pulling a fifty, sixty hour week and burning out.

The crazy thing about this dissonance between perception and reality is that I know plenty of blue collar boomers that know their jobs put them through the wringer, that they're working too drat hard for too drat little. And most of them look at their full credit cards and their empty bank accounts like that's just the way it's supposed to be, like it's the American dream to dig hard and fast as you can to the bottom of a grave filled with red ink. They extol the virtues of hard work and poo poo on labor.

And they're blind, grave soil in their eyes, because even back twenty years when I was a kid, I remember my blue collar dad with a good blue collar job working fifty hours a week and still having to sell things, from time to time, to afford groceries for his son, his mother.

It ain't ever been easy, and it's only gettin' worse.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Yeah I've had a few boomer coworkers and they are always completely out of the loop when it comes to the current state of employment.

One lady a few years ago kept talking about how she was "a cashier for 18 years and could get a job anywhere" and she was "a union member in good standing" and I just didn't have the heart to tell her that all of that amounted to dog poo poo. No one cares about cashier experience. "They can't transfer me because I'm a union member in good standing." "They can't overwork me because I'm a union member in good standing." "They should pay me more because I'm a union member in good standing." "My resume is golden because I'm a union member in good standing." Our union is not exactly a powerhouse and "good standing" doesn't really mean anything. We get paid our wage, we have no real bargaining power, we get run ragged, deal with the abuse, and go home to recuperate so we can do it again the next day. Nothing is fair, it won't be any time soon, and you'll never be seen as worth more than the money you're paid unless you break yourself doing more than you should, and even then it's a roll of the dice.

My aunt, who lost her job in 2010, though she would be able to bounce back in no time. She had no idea that people don't just go from one higher paying job to another in a week or a month. She had experience in her field, but no college degree. She didn't think it would matter, but when employers can ask for the moon and pay people less for what she did there's really nothing you can do. Not to mention she was in her mid 50's and didn't understand things like age discrimination. She would go to interviews and tell them her "fee" and would be surprised when people would ghost on her. Now she's back to her old lifestyle and doesn't even acknowledge that what she went though was common, and not an anomaly.

I honestly can't understand how these things don't occur to people but boomers :shrug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
About 6 years ago my parents tricked me out of their house and had me move with my uncle (it was supposed to help me get my drivers license cause my parents were doing jack all in helping me with that. Turns out nope! I wasn't going back!). And the condescension from them made me want to smother my aunt and uncle in their sleep. Talking about how easy it was for them to get jobs and poo poo. It was a real riot considering my aunt was a stay at home wife. They acted like I simply didn't want to find a job, and couldn't comprehend that we were in a small town (according to a consensus, less then 3.5k people) where most stores were family businesses and any place that would hire people outside of friends/family were already full.

But nope, I just refused to send out job applications. I was why I couldn't get a job.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'll just skip to the end and post the chart

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tunicate posted:

I'll just skip to the end and post the chart

I'd like to know where in Wyoming I can find a job that pays $24k per year. I have no idea what the gently caress even pays that much or more around here that isn't trucking, oil, or teaching.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Star Man posted:

I'd like to know where in Wyoming I can find a job that pays $24k per year. I have no idea what the gently caress even pays that much or more around here that isn't trucking, oil, or teaching.

Wyoming has such a small population that I imagine the income is skewed by people who move into the state for oil jobs and people who move out of the state to find a job.

Check DC off the charts at $43,000 too--the only employed millennials living in DC have government or government-adjacent jobs, and only the upper crust of those can actually live in DC (as opposed to living somewhere in Virginia or Maryland and commuting 2 hours each way every day).

Pennsylvania made me laugh. Half of Pennsylvania is basically West Virginia and the other half is basically New Jersey, so of course the median income is just about halfway between WV and NJ.

Anyway, with only a couple exceptions (mostly oil related, at a glance) that map lines up pretty neatly with a map of minimum wage by state.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 28, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Star Man posted:

Probably something that destroys your body.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wyoming has such a small population that I imagine the income is skewed by people who move into the state for oil jobs and people who move out of the state to find a job.

Assuming that you work 2,080 hours per year (40 hours per week for all 52 weeks in a year), that's a wage of ~$11.50 per hour. The job I've applied for with the city in Wyoming that I reside in starts at $13.68 per hour and is still beneath $30,000 per year.

It's amazing how little that is. Even $15 per hour full-time barely clears $30,000 annually. Minimum wage really ought to be like $25 per hour.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Someone in the USPol thread posted an article a few weeks back (don't ask me to find it, that thread can grow 20 pages in a day) that if minimum raise had kept up with Wall Street bonuses it would be $33/hour today.

I live in Texas and boy howdy I'm glad to get $15.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I like how the income that ends up in the 26k to 43k bracket doesn't even clear 28k.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Another thing boomers do not possibly understand is how much of applying for jobs doesn't involve actual humans anymore.

When I was last unemployed my dad would try to give me advice along the lines of dressing nice and walking into a store to make my case to a manager about why they should hire me. I'dtrt to explain that the immediate response to this would be to visit the website and apply there but it never stuck. That's not even mentioning the fact that so many jobs involve 100 question 'personality tests' that are completely demeaning and used to automatically weed out applicants.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Online personality tests are digital phrenology.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
They’re mostly to weed out the people too stupid to figure out what to put in when asked “on a scale from 1 (strongly disagree) to 10 (strongly agree), rate the following statement: It’s ok to steal from my employer so long as the value of the objects I steal are less than $50”

No poo poo, that is literally a question from Wal-Mart’s pre-employment screening circa 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I remember applying for a taco bell and one of them was something like "strong agree <> strong disagree its ok to steal from the register if the manager does it too". Also gently caress those things. It took like half an hour and I didn't get a phone call for that poo poo.