Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Astian posted:

It's bizarre, I know. I'll try the new WiFi module since I'm out of other options, though. If all else fails that is a very decent-looking budget laptop!

It was only available for 24 hours, though; that's how most items on Woot work. It'll probably be around again though.

sout posted:

Lenovo Ideapad 510s has got my eye because of its IPS screen but there's a few things weird about its design/keyboard layout.
Has anyone got any recommendations for a relatively portable+not too expensive laptop with at least a 256gb SSD?
Graphics card isn't really important since I don't think I'd be gaming on it, but obviously I wouldn't wanna go below 1080p and IPS is a bonus.

This is what I normally recommend for a cheap Windows laptop although as you can read above Astian is having problem with his, possibly the wifi card, possibly his network though. Mine works perfectly, so YMMV. :shrug: It's cheap with nice features like the backlit keyboard and FHD display; you'd just have to add the SSD yourself.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Honestly, that display should be a dealbreaker. For general computing and web stuff, I would rather have something with at least a 1080p IPS display but a cheapo Celeron with 4GB of ram and an eMMC drive than a faster computer with a dumpster display. There's no point getting a machine with the horsepower to run Photoshop, watch Netflix and open a dozen chrome tabs if you don't even have the real estate to see what the gently caress you're doing, let alone trust the colors on the screen.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel about displays. It was like $200 though, and manufacturers still put WXGA/HD displays on new laptops with large panels, so there's not a lot I can do about that. I recommend a $350 FHD laptop to everyone who doesn't want a Chromebook, so I'm doing my part at least. :shrug:

RandomPauI posted:

I need a laptop for occasional work use.

It needs to be small enough for a backpack with a good battery. It should be a windows 10 machine. It also has to do basic word processing, data entry, and use web EOC and virtual machine (IE 8). There'll also be occasional teleconferencing and browsing multiple websites.

I'm paying out of pocket and money is tight. I can perform some simple laptop repairs. What should I look for?

https://www.amazon.com/Amazons-Choice-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW/

Same recommendation as above. Just expect to add a $50 m.2 SATA SSD and probably 4 GB of RAM for $25.

RandomPauI posted:

It'd mostly be used a few times a month at most in an indoor setting, but not necessarily an office.

Unfortunately, it might also have to be used in the field where there might be exposure to ash or rain.

You work with the Red Cross or some other humanitarian group IIRC, right? There's not a whole lot of laptops you can just casually use in the rain, or um, at an active volcano, but the Panasonic Toughbooks are what you'd need. They're chunky and somewhat expensive, but durable, and you could get an older one for a reasonable price. I'd still recommend going with a cheap laptop and not getting it wet.... :shrug:

Luneshot posted:

I'm just starting grad school with no laptop, and it looks like I'm really going to need one. I do want a decent amount of RAM (8GB) and moderate processing power, as I'll probably be writing some programs on here. I'll need to be dual booting Linux and Windows. My main problem is that looking at the T470 line, trying to include an SSD with a reasonable amount of capacity (ideally 512GB) bumps the price up several hundred dollars.

Does it make sense financially to buy a T470 with the basic option and then just put in a higher capacity SSD myself? Are these laptops even modifiable in that way?

Also, what processor do you recommend for moderate-level work? I can use the computing clusters at school for big stuff, but I'd like mine to be at least somewhat capable.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazons-Choice-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW/

Ditto. You can add the RAM and SSD yourself very easily.

As far as laptop CPUs go, basically any Intel Core CPU will be fine. The xxxxU models are dual-core with hyperthreading, but are ULV and power-efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bob Morales posted:

240 has the horrible touchpad

Why would you ever use the touchpad on a Thinkpad? It's got the Trackpoint for your cursor controlling needs.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Twerk from Home posted:

Why would you ever use the touchpad on a Thinkpad? It's got the Trackpoint for your cursor controlling needs.

Sure, but some people like it and the model below and above it have perfectly usable trackpads. I forgot how bad the x240 one was, dude was right to point it out. poo poo's awful, and the x250 is worth spending a little more for that reason.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got my Yoga 720 and I love it. I've always wanted a laptop I could draw on, and the dedicated graphics card seems to really help with being able to draw smoothly. I had a few annoying issues with BSODs until I updated some drivers.

I had one issue today where I used the laptop for about an hour while it was charging, and then packed it up and put it in the case. I came back to it about four hours later and noticed that the fans were blowing on high and the computer was really hot to the touch. It wouldn't turn on, but once I held the power button down it booted up. And once I started using it, the computer cooled down immensely and the fans went back to their usual quiet state. Is this something I should be concerned about? I just changed the power options when the lid is closed from sleep to hibernate to see if that stops it from happening again. Sorry if this belongs in Haus of Tech Support.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

For laptops with both an SSD and HDD, which tends to be the boot drive?
Because if it's the HDD that seems a bit pointless, right?

It's a shame I can't seem to find laptops with more than 256gb SSDs without also introducing a dedicated GPU which I don't really need to bring the price/weight up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sure, but some people like it and the model below and above it have perfectly usable trackpads. I forgot how bad the x240 one was, dude was right to point it out. poo poo's awful, and the x250 is worth spending a little more for that reason.

I'm not sure on the X250 as we've long switched to HP but the X230 absolutely doesn't have a usable trackpad

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dissss posted:

I'm not sure on the X250 as we've long switched to HP but the X230 absolutely doesn't have a usable trackpad

The X230 isn't very good, but the X240 one is a cluster gently caress

X230 is small and weird. Just like the X220 before it.

X240 is much larger, so they got that right. The problem is, they removed the buttons. So instead of tap to click that some users prefer, the whole thing moves up and down like a quarter inch.

You can swap it out with the X250 and newer style touchpad fairly easily. The same size, but there's physical buttons on it. It's still no Mac Touchpad but it's a big improvement.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've mostly learned to live with the x230 trackpad. I don't use it much, I've converted to using the trackpoint. Win10 does a pretty good job of recognizing you don't use the trackpad and ignores it unless you start using it.

x240 is indeed a piece of hot garbage, and is easily user-replaceable with a $20 x250 trackpad off of ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thinkpad-X2...n4AAOSw0HVWD7AL the x250 trackpad is basically a required upgrade on top of the purchase price of $200-400.

x250 already has the "good" trackpad, if you want to go that way, they're a little more pricey @ $350-500

Another big advantage of the x250 is it has a pretty modern CPU with realy good power consumption, meaning you won't have any trouble getting 6-8 hours of battery life out of the thing. x230 has ok power consumption but you're looking at 4.5 hours on a brand new battery (which you won't get on an refurbished model)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sout posted:

It's a shame I can't seem to find laptops with more than 256gb SSDs without also introducing a dedicated GPU which I don't really need to bring the price/weight up.

The SSD is always the boot drive. If it isn't for some reason, switch it in the BIOS.

Do you need a quad core cpu?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The SSD is always the boot drive. If it isn't for some reason, switch it in the BIOS.

Do you need a quad core cpu?

Is it important for anything outside of gaming?
At this point I still feel like there's a lot of stuff to consider like if I'd be comfortable with a 13 inch screen or if I'd rather have to carry a slightly larger/heavier 15.6.
There's a lot of choice but at the same time it feels like any choice has a certain tradeoff. Where are all the super light, quiet, powerful and durable laptops that look amazing and feel amazing and are also inexplicably free!?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dual core i5 is hyperthreaded which gives you 4 logical cores, if that's acceptable. Very rarely will you use a true quad core CPU, especially on a laptop

sout posted:

Where are all the super light, quiet, powerful and durable laptops that look amazing and feel amazing and are also inexplicably free!?

Check out refurb XPS 13's on ebay for $400

Also see the 2012 Macbook Air 13" starting around $325

The x230 is super quiet, mostly as powerful as a modern computer, and hyper durable; I'm about to go on my third international backpacker trip this year with it, and it's been flawless now for five years, not as light as the XPS 13 and MBA though; they run for about $160-280 (get the IPS screen model though)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Dual core i5 is hyperthreaded which gives you 4 logical cores, if that's acceptable. Very rarely will you use a true quad core CPU, especially on a laptop

Is this still the guideline now that there's 4C/8T 15W i5s? I'm pretty excited about the XPS 13s picking up hyperthreaded quad cores.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whoa, 4 core i5 with hyperthreading? I missed that, where did you read that? I thought it was i7 only still. I've been a little preoccupied lately.

That's probably worth finally upgrading my x230 for if true.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hadlock posted:

Whoa, 4 core i5 with hyperthreading? I missed that, where did you read that? I thought it was i7 only still. I've been a little preoccupied lately.

Intel's 8th gen mobile processors are 4/8 now starting at i5's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

The X230 isn't very good, but the X240 one is a cluster gently caress

X230 is small and weird. Just like the X220 before it.

X240 is much larger, so they got that right. The problem is, they removed the buttons. So instead of tap to click that some users prefer, the whole thing moves up and down like a quarter inch.

You can swap it out with the X250 and newer style touchpad fairly easily. The same size, but there's physical buttons on it. It's still no Mac Touchpad but it's a big improvement.

The X230 trackpad was a buttonless clickpad too though and just as unusable. The difference is with the X240 they removed the trackpoint buttons too which also made that a problem.

If you don’t want to use the track point then the X240 was actually an improvement.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Check it out: https://ark.intel.com/products/124967/Intel-Core-i5-8250U-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sout posted:

At this point I still feel like there's a lot of stuff to consider like if I'd be comfortable with a 13 inch screen or if I'd rather have to carry a slightly larger/heavier 15.6.
There's a lot of choice but at the same time it feels like any choice has a certain tradeoff. Where are all the super light, quiet, powerful and durable laptops that look amazing and feel amazing and are also inexplicably free!?

If you don't know why you would need a quad core, you don't need one. Current gen quad core laptop cpus give you a shitload more power for VMs, video editing, compiling and working in heavy (bloated) IDEs. The tradeoffs are price, weight, battery, fan noise and heat.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

dissss posted:

If you don’t want to use the track point then the X240 was actually an improvement.

Have you ever actually used the X240 trackpad?

When we say "a quarter inch", we mean "a quarter inch". It's next to impossible to keep your finger on the thing you're trying to click on while pushing the assembly down that far. It's a torture device.

edit: oh god and it wasn't levered like the older style Mac ones either, it just sort of floated around this vague point in the middle. the memories are flooding back, someone hold me

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sure. Have you used an X230?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

[quote="“Dr. Fishopolis”" post="“475914302”"]
If you don’t know why you would need a quad core, you don’t need one. Current gen quad core laptop cpus give you a shitload more power for VMs, video editing, compiling and working in heavy (bloated) IDEs. The tradeoffs are price, weight, battery, fan noise and heat.
[/quote]

The new Intel ULV chips should address all those concerns. I personally wouldn’t buy anything expensive until systems with them become available

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

dissss posted:

The new Intel ULV chips should address all those concerns. I personally wouldn’t buy anything expensive until systems with them become available

They're still 15w tdp. They'll be faster, but nobody's magically turning U series chips into HQs.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you ever actually used the X240 trackpad?

When we say "a quarter inch", we mean "a quarter inch". It's next to impossible to keep your finger on the thing you're trying to click on while pushing the assembly down that far. It's a torture device.

edit: oh god and it wasn't levered like the older style Mac ones either, it just sort of floated around this vague point in the middle. the memories are flooding back, someone hold me

I think the secret to using it happily is to forget about clicking and embrace tapping (two fingers tap for right-click, three fingers for middle-click).
That's what I've been doing for the past few years, and the touchpad seems serviceable to me (but I've never used a high end laptop so I have no basis of comparison).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/dell-latitude-e7450-14-intel-i5-128gb-ultrabook

Here's a decent-looking refurb if you need a cheap Windows laptop along the lines of that Acer I recommend but want it ready-to-go out-of-the-box without having to make any upgrades yourself; it's around the same price in the end. The downsides are the lack of a backlit keyboard and a smaller 14" display that's of course not FHD. :sigh:

Keep in mind it's on Woot and is only available for <24 hours.

sout posted:

Generally if you have a device that comes with both drives and the SSD is "normal"-sized* the SSD will always be the system drive. Obviously if you get that Acer with an HDD and add your own SSD you have to do a little work to switch the system drive.

*The only exception is that some systems come with a small (e.g. 16 or 32 GB) SSD in addition to an HDD where the latter is the system drive and the former is a cache enabled via Intel SRT. My Toshiba Ultrawide is like this, and it works (i.e. I noticed the difference when I temporarily disabled the cache) although it would still make more sense to drop in a larger SSD and make that the system drive.

sout posted:

You won't miss a "real" quad-core CPU over an Intel ULV. Nowadays 15" laptops do feel kind of big & bulky even though they aren't and never were the largest laptops by any stretch. You should seriously consider a 13-14" display unless you need as much screen real estate as possible and/or have vision issues.

Bourricot posted:

I think the secret to using it happily is to forget about clicking and embrace tapping (two fingers tap for right-click, three fingers for middle-click).
That's what I've been doing for the past few years, and the touchpad seems serviceable to me (but I've never used a high end laptop so I have no basis of comparison).

This. There's no reason to "click" on any halfway-decent touchpad when you can just tap. The only time I have to use the click function is for dragging/band-boxing/etc. Also a lot of devices, Chrome or otherwise have multi-finger gestures that let you easily switch tasks/tabs, etc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That Latitude is too expensive with that screen - it's not something you want to skimp on and there are always tonnes of similar off lease laptops available

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I know, I'm not thrilled with it either, but I'm not the one buying it. :shrug: Like I've said, that Acer with the FHD display is great for $350 + $~75 in upgrades. There's also the m3 HP CB 13 refurb'd on Woot for a good price with a great display.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Nowadays 15" laptops do feel kind of big & bulky even though they aren't and never were the largest laptops by any stretch. You should seriously consider a 13-14" display unless you need as much screen real estate as possible and/or have vision issues.

Occasionally when traveling to work I kind of wish I'd gotten a 14-inch GTX 1060 laptop over my 15-inch one, and I've got like the smallest 15-inch laptop there is.

I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference, but moving from 13.3 to 15 is definitely a big step in terms of bulk and footprint, and 14 might be a happier compromise between bigger screen and not too bulky.

I can say for sure that as a first-time 15-incher, I underestimated it's size a little.

My ideal laptop right now is probably a 14-inch laptop with thin bezels at the cost of a little more thickness (really, thinness is overrated) w/ a GTX 1060 in it, or a 13.3" with thin bezels, again at the cost of a little thickness, with a GTX 1050 in it. Don't think we'll see either of these, and the latter is probably not even feasible.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

New Zenbook Flip 15 looks neat:

quote:

The nod here goes to its use of the same i7-8550U 4C/8T 1.8GHz-4GHz processor and NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1050 graphics

The Flip 15 can be configured with up to a 512GB SSD, a 2TB hard drive, and 16GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM. It also has precision stylus support, as well as Thunderbolt 3 ports 

The ZenBook Flip15 starts at 899€(~$1000)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11788/asus-announces-zenbook-flip-14-and-flip-15

sout
Apr 24, 2014

What the hell does "14 inch display in a 13 inch frame" mean?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It means it has a really thin bezel. The 13" Macbook Air has room for a 14" screen but it doesn't because the bezels are huge.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dissss posted:

The X230 trackpad was a buttonless clickpad too though and just as unusable.
There's a picture of the X230 touchpad, it's not a clickpad. It's just a regular style touchpad (small, because that's how they were at that point) with 3 physical buttons.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Is there a go-to chromebook lately? The OP is a little outdated on that front. I just need something that will let me use Adobe Connect for meetings.

I'd like to be able to wait for the Flip 15, but alas, time is an issue.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For Chromebooks, quality and price scale linearly; you just need to figure out how much you want to spend. Generaly $250 and up gets you an ok Chromebook, $450 gets you a great one.

Only specific models of Chromebooks come with backlit keyboards, sadly, which is something I really value, especially in the winter months. This sums them up, there might be newer ones since this was written: http://www.meetchrome.com/best-chromebooks-with-a-backlit-keyboard/

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Oy. I was hoping to keep it below $200, but I assume I'm getting something that will die in a couple years if I aim that low. I'll try to hit the $300 level if I can. If I'm going to spend $450 on a chromebook, I figure I'll just hold out and spend $900-1000 on a full-featured gaming laptop instead of just getting a half-grand netflix/Office machine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Occasionally when traveling to work I kind of wish I'd gotten a 14-inch GTX 1060 laptop over my 15-inch one, and I've got like the smallest 15-inch laptop there is.

I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference, but moving from 13.3 to 15 is definitely a big step in terms of bulk and footprint, and 14 might be a happier compromise between bigger screen and not too bulky.

I can say for sure that as a first-time 15-incher, I underestimated it's size a little.

My ideal laptop right now is probably a 14-inch laptop with thin bezels at the cost of a little more thickness (really, thinness is overrated) w/ a GTX 1060 in it, or a 13.3" with thin bezels, again at the cost of a little thickness, with a GTX 1050 in it. Don't think we'll see either of these, and the latter is probably not even feasible.

The Razer Blade is pretty close to what you describe, albeit at high cost and poor QC. The Aero 14 also gets good reviews.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Oy. I was hoping to keep it below $200, but I assume I'm getting something that will die in a couple years if I aim that low. I'll try to hit the $300 level if I can. If I'm going to spend $450 on a chromebook, I figure I'll just hold out and spend $900-1000 on a full-featured gaming laptop instead of just getting a half-grand netflix/Office machine.

I ordered an ASUS C201 with 4GB ram for $169 last year off Amazon (this one to be exact) it's $199 now but other models exist too now, it gets about 11 hours of battery per charge. I love it, I use it more than my Win 10 i5 Thinkpad. Screen is mediocre, keyboard is servicable, trackpad is... well the trackpad is one of the best I've used actually.

$200 chromebooks totally exist and they're totally servicable, if you want to lowball it you can and you'll be pretty happy with it, but you get a lot more chromebook as the price goes up. The only rule I'd make is to ensure your chromebook has at least 4GB of RAM as Chrome is a hog when it comes to memory. A lot of chromebooks only have 2GB RAM.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

There's a picture of the X230 touchpad, it's not a clickpad. It's just a regular style touchpad (small, because that's how they were at that point) with 3 physical buttons.

The buttons are for the trackpoint - note how they're at the top. The trackpad itself is a clickpad.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Asus has a thin bezel 14'' convertible with MX150 coming out hmm...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
How can you tell if a laptop can hook its own display to an external GPU? E.g. hooking the HP EliteBook 360 x2 up to a Razer Core or the upcoming HP Omen Accelerator.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In theory it will have dual channel PCI-e on the thunderbolt 3 port.

Dual channel PCI-e isn't a guarantee that it will be compatible out of the box (due to drivers), but you'll at least know your laptop is technically capable of it. If the manufacturer advertises eGPU support, that's a strong signal, but ultimately you're going to have to dig through Reddit to find out if the model you want works out of the box or if driver tweaking is required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ynglaur posted:

The Razer Blade is pretty close to what you describe, albeit at high cost and poor QC. The Aero 14 also gets good reviews.

I picked up a late 2016 Blade with a 970m in it for a little over a grand, you can find good used deals if you hunt around. Had to do a bunch of driver shenanigans to get everything working to my liking but I haven't experienced any hardware issues so far, there's no bloatware at all and after tweaking with throttlestop I get an easy 6 hours off the (remarkably small for 165w) charger. And it's got good Linux support. It's a Good Computer.

That said, I think next year we'll start to see a lot of competition for it. If Coffee Lake gives us a 28w quad core chip, that with a Max-Q 1060 or 1050ti could mean machines well under 4 pounds with real performance and fewer compromises. Who knows, Apple might even step back into the ring after they see the sales figures from their garbage redesign.