Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bahamut really does have a great design in this. All his animations are great, the actual summoning, hitting stuff, Impulse, Megaflare, everything. And it's a pretty great introduction gameplay-wise. "Oh no, Yuna is on her own, this could be tricky" and then you summon Bahamut and he just effortlessly clowns the whole dungeon with free AoE attacks.

Also if Yuna is strong enough at this point his Overdrive can reveal something else a bit special about him which makes his introduction even better.

Finally, gently caress Isaaru. He is an rear end. Story-wise anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I kinda like how Isaaru's summoning of Bahamut is used just like one of the older FFs (I want to say 4) with the whole count down to ultimate attack.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bot 02 posted:

I always liked to imagine that Auron just straight up murdered the dude.

"Your pilgrimage is over," and then he stabs Isaaru to death.

I think Auton pities him too much. He's not evil himself, just a guy too taken in with faith to realize just how corrupt his death cult of a religion is. Given what Yuna's crew just did, him accepting the idea that they're traitors is understandable. Auron was likely in his position before he got his wake up call.

Tired Moritz posted:

Man, the summons in this game is the coolest. Much more better than FFXII or FFXIII.

True, but summoning Autobots to fight with/ride was one of the very few things I like about anything related toFFXIII or its sequels.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

True, but summoning Autobots to fight with/ride was one of the very few things I like about anything related toFFXIII or its sequels.

Wouldn't Bahamut have counted more as a Decepticon than an Autobot? Or more accurately a Predacon?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

OminousEdge posted:

Wouldn't Bahamut have counted more as a Decepticon than an Autobot? Or more accurately a Predacon?

True. Odin would probably be a Maximal as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Geostomp posted:

I wonder why we don't seem more summoner duels like this. You'd expect them to be q bigger part of the game given how important summons are to the story.

Well, so far we've had Belgemine, Seymour, and Isaaru, so they haven't been skimping on them per se.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

True. Odin would probably be a Maximal as well.

Probably the only ones that would count as Autobots would be the Shiva's and Brynhildr. Dunno what Alexander and that other one would count as.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Geostomp posted:

I wonder why we don't seem more summoner duels like this. You'd expect them to be q bigger part of the game given how important summons are to the story.

Come to think of it, it would be a more interesting mechanic than the Cloister of Trials. To gain the Summon, you must defeat the Summon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

akkristor posted:

Come to think of it, it would be a more interesting mechanic than the Cloister of Trials. To gain the Summon, you must defeat the Summon.

Except that's already been done in III, IV, V, VI, VIII, XI, XII and XIII.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
And if you count egis, XIV.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sort of in Bravely Default as well.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I'm pretty sure Auron's last line is meant to read "If I ever see you again on the road, the only thing you're going to be summoning is my foot up your rear end."

Anyway, I'll have another update later today since Swim Team's half of the dungeon is equally unimpressive.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

I kinda like how Isaaru's summoning of Bahamut is used just like one of the older FFs (I want to say 4) with the whole count down to ultimate attack.

VIII does it with Tiamat, who is pretty much a Bahamut reskin

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Anyway, I'll have another update later today since Swim Team's half of the dungeon is equally unimpressive.

No way. They're section has bigger, wetter corridors with way less detail in them and feels like forever to traverse.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If the Fayth joins with the summoner I wonder if it's like a Bahamut Lagoon thing? Does Yuna have the voices of the Fayth in her head?

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
If that were true I wonder what Ghost Kid would have to tell her about Tidus.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

I hope we get to the cutscene with Seymour in the next update. :allears:

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I really love the summons in this game. They didn't just design great looking creatures but ones that are recognisable as the famous summons of the series but fit in design wise with the rest of the game. As another goon said they have tons of personality, especially Bahamut and Shiva.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Except that's already been done in III, IV, V, VI, VIII, XI, XII and XIII.

Xenoveritas posted:

And if you count egis, XIV.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Sort of in Bravely Default as well.

Boy, it sure seems like people would stick to the formula than do these dungeons huh?

It'd sure help the pacing of the game if they just had a mid-boss fight every six hours or so instead of this stuff.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

I'm pretty sure Auron's last line is meant to read "If I ever see you again on the road, the only thing you're going to be summoning is my foot up your rear end."

I would pay to see a FFX remake with Auron voiced by Kurtwood Smith.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Bufuman posted:

I would pay to see a FFX remake with Auron voiced by Kurtwood Smith.

Yes!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXXVIII: Via My Copypaste

Music: Enemy Attack

Between scenes Tidus and the Swim Team have been flushed into the Bevelle sewers area of Via Purifico. How? Why? Huh? Don't worry about it. We're in a water dungeon now. Well... dungeon is a very generous term. If you thought Via Purifico's on-land version was half-assed, then strap on for some lazy level design.

Before we move too far into the Via Purifico Part 2, it's worth noting that Yevon was sporting enough to set up an automated aquatic item shop inside a loot chest floating in the dungeon. Or the designers just tossed a floating chest next to the save spot, had it link to a shop interface, and called it a day. I'll let you adjust your head canon accordingly.

So as far as traveling the underwater section of Via Purifico is concerned, here's the main gimmick: There's this big open tunnel. You swim down it. Sometimes it turns left. Sometimes it turns right. This ends the layout of the dungeon. :effort:

There are, of course, some critters floating around the Yevon execution grounds. Namely: Ones copy and pasted with a stat boost and palette swap from the last underwater section in the very beginning of the game. The mid-boss of the derelict Fahrenheit has been downgraded to a common enemy encounter without any of the positioning gimmicks the game brought up and quickly abandoned after the first couple areas.

Accompanying them are also these bizarre looking electric fish that will waste several turns charging up an attack. Too bad the party will almost certainly slay them before they can pop it off (they just steal Kazooie's Sonic Wing.)

Apparently there's a fourth enemy type that is an over-sized fish with a bull head but hell if I could get it to spawn before I stopped caring. It doesn't really matter either way as the random encounters are just a token gesture in case Wakka and Rikku are underleveled. For you see, about a minute of swimming forward in this dungeon and...

It is boss battle time! They actually did leave a guardian of sorts for this leg of the Via Purifico, unlike the surface where they quickly scrambled to throw the first mildly capable Yevon loyal idiot in the path of Yuna and company just immediately strolling out.

Though, as it turns out, Yevon may have half-rear end scrambled to fill in the dungeon security hole of the sewer Via Purifico as well. For you see, the boss of this area is...

Evrae Again Altana. Yep. They just copy and pasted the last proper boss battle with a palette swap. Have I mentioned Bevelle felt like a hurriedly stitched together mess recently?

Yes the wyrm of Bevelle is back. The implication is this is, in fact, the same monster. Chiefly because it comes innately inflicted with a status effect we've yet to encounter in Final Fantasy X: Zombie. Yes, you can really see the dignity of the blue palette. Signifying the deep sorrow of a magnificent beast to a slow and possibly endless descent into ruin. Or it's just a lazy boss fight. You decide!

This does raise the question as to whether bosses and other fiends need to be sent too or else they're just going to come back as zombie versions of spirits of the dead... That's like three layers of being dead, Spira. Give it a rest!

So this fight has a Trigger Command gimmick where we can have the party burn two turns to open the locks on a gate trapping them in the room with Zombie Evrae.

There is a semi-lengthy animation of the party fleeing while the apparently aquatic undead beast is utterly incapable of keeping pace with three humans' breast stroke.

There's no particular advantage to this the first time around. But the party can opt to do it a second time at another gate they reach.

Each time the party uses the gate fleeing gimmick, they swim by a treasure chest in a cutscene. Yep, we're missing loot doing this nonsense!

However, the third gate the party reaches doesn't have glass paneling. So the party can swim right through it while Evrae is trapped on the other side. Evrae Altana's main threat is it counter attacks for nearly 1,000 HP each time it's struck. In this position, that is knocked out.

It can instead use the Photon Rays attack it commanded when the airship flew out of range back during the first round against the foe. And there's some nasty business with it still having Stone Gaze, which underwater will instantly result in a Stoned party member shattering into bits. It's this whole thing I don't think any of us want to bother with...

So let's back up a bit to the beginning of the battle. Remember the Zombie status the undead Evrae had? Zombie is a strange status where healing items or spells will instead hurt the afflicted party. Since... I guess that sort of makes a weird sense, being undead and all. I mean if you restored a zombie to life, you would technically be killing the zombie incarnation of that creature, right? I think... Look. That's the logic Final Fantasy is putting forth. Just roll with it...

So, what's the strongest way to heal a character? Why, a Phoenix Down of course! It heals them from death unless cutscenes demand it. That's fairly potent!

And wouldn't you know, a Phoenix Down tossed Evrae's way takes off 50% of its HP. Normally, Life spells or Phoenix Downs will instant-kill Zombie status effected characters/enemies. However, Evrae Altana is immune to Instant Death being a boss and all. It's in their union contracts.

So we'll have to go the extra mile and use TWO Phoenix Downs. Boy, that takes us like 200 gil in the hole.

...Aaaaaaand that's a wrap. Two Phoenix Downs and we're done here. They were doubly concerned players might have a crappy Wakka and Rikku on hand for this mandatory Swim Team party. So they threw in a contingency that makes this literally the easiest boss in the entire game. There is one down side to our easy victory, however...

Music Ends...

So in those Trigger Command gimmicky bits of the boss battle, the party quickly blasted past most of Via Purifico's sewer in a couple of ten second scenes. That is... no longer an option if you immediately cream Zombie Evrae. The game just dumps the party exactly where the boss battle began and you've got to swim the rest of the way.

Sure, you can get some extra loot along the way. Wakka picks up a new blitzball that comes equipped with Evade & Counter. Which is pretty nice for dealing with trash mobs. It does just as it says on the box. Wakka will evade (more often at least) physical attacks and immediately counter with one of his own. Even if the evasion fails, he'll still get a free counter.

Tidus gets Avenger, a lackluster sequel to Evade & Counter where two factions just hit each other in the face back and forth until three hours of your life has been wasted and you drive home dissatisfied and $30 poorer.

Beyond that... there is nothing left to Via Purifico. It's just... a bunch of swimming in silence for a solid four minutes straight...

...The switched off the music after the Evrae battle ended. You cannot move faster than the on-land walking speed while swimming. And all the random battles got scared away... Just watching Tidus slowly swim down a poorly lit gray hallway for nearly five minutes...

I hate Bevelle...

Video: Episode 78 Highlight Reel

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 24, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I want to know how Evrae became Unsent. Or a Zombie. Or whatever is going on with it now.

That's probably the most baffling part of Bevelle.

And yeah, this is the worst boss fight in the game. The sensor practically tells you to use Phoenix Downs on Evrae, which kills it in two hits. Yet they went through the trouble of coding fight mechanics for the fight that punish you for using them by locking you out of getting equipment!

At the very least, if you're hit by Stone Gaze, swimming to the next corridor will bring back shattered members.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Yep, Bevelle is a bigger goddamn mess than Minato Arisato's life.

On the plus side, TDI can be out of here within two updates. :toot:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I will be honest, I never even knew you could do the gate thing. I just saw the Zombie status and regretted my lack of ability to suplex the train before killing it in a laughably simple fashion.

Edit: Hey now. Minato's life isn't a mess, it's just disorganized. And maybe completely screwed up. But it's not a mess!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I too never knew the gate was a thing; I just threw Phoenix Downs into Zombie-Dragons' face until it had its allergic reaction and paddled on.

E: and as someone playing P3:FES right now on an emulator, no, Minato's life is just a goddamn mess :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I was mostly making a specific reference, but yeah, I'd say his life really IS a goddamn mess.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I... don't think I ever actually realized it was a zombie. Or that it was supposed to be the same thing we fought before. That's... interesting, I guess.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You know what's the silliest mechanic? Using evade and counter in combination with bodyguard. You really should get that skill for Wakka!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This was by far the easiest boss in the game, I don't think anyone has ever fought him legitimately.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Using an enemies weakness is always a legitimate strategy, coming back from the dead isn't. :colbert:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Am I the only one who wants a FFX-0, detailing the adventures of Braska, Auron, and Jecht? (Probably)

Onmi posted:

This was by far the easiest boss in the game, I don't think anyone has ever fought him legitimately.

I did. :downs:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Onmi posted:

Oh, I'm sure someone has for kicks. Hell, I think I might have, when I was a dumb kid. Don't think he's even that hard, provided you have equipment that prevents petrification or get lucky and he never uses Stone Gaze.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Onmi posted:

I might've done it if not for that freaking Stone Gaze. I'm one of those players that NEEDS everyone to get experience at the end of every battle, so if someone dies in a battle and I can't bring them back before the end, I'll usually reset and try again (barring those rare games that gives experience to dead characters). Evrae is just too fast to kill with brute force before he gets off a Stone Gaze or two.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Am I the only one who wants a FFX-0, detailing the adventures of Braska, Auron, and Jecht? (Probably)

Could be cool, but I think that making one at this stage would be inviting the Crisis Core effect.

By which I mean they made a game about a guy we already know the fate of (Zack), then injected some random jerk (Genesis) into the backstory to try to add something new that ties into a future title so we're not just going through a beat we already are aware of.

I really don't want X-3 to be a thing, given how bad the tie-in novel was. :smith:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh, I'm sure someone has for kicks. Hell, I think I might have, when I was a dumb kid. Don't think he's even that hard, provided you have equipment that prevents petrification or get lucky and he never uses Stone Gaze.

I think he (she?) always uses Stone Gaze on his (her?) first turn.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 24, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Especially since They brought Sin back

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

The Dark Id posted:

...Aaaaaaand that's a wrap. Two Phoenix Downs and we're done here. They were doubly concerned players might have a crappy Wakka and Rikku on hand for this mandatory Swim Team party. So they through in a contingency that makes this literally the easiest boss in the entire game. There is one down side to our easy victory, however...

Did you mean 'threw'?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Yes. Prequels are rarely less than terrible, especially in the case where you know what the characters are doing is completely pointless. Besides, knowing this series, you're more likely to end up with six metric tons of fanfiction caliber melodrama than the hilarious party of a deranged jock and apathetic samurai.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Belated, but I'm gonna hop on the "Bahamut in this game has an awesome design" bandwagon. The armor, the smug crossed arms, the gorgeous colored wings, the fact he has a HALO hovering behind his back...

He does have one tactical weakness: he's a little slow compared to all the other aeons. But he's a pain train when it's his turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My guide told me that the best strategy was to use the goddamn gates, I don't think I realized I could wreck this boss with phoenix downs until my third playthrough.

loving guidebooks, man, I'm glad we're done with that poo poo.

• Locked thread