Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's extremely fail.

god I feel dirty

Even with all that poo poo, though, Ireland still had a government that provided the basic services of government, and the form of the government was entrenched enough that they felt they had to achieve power by co-opting its structures. They didn't stage a coup or anything like that.

well they tried that first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

drat, I need to brush up on my Irish history.

Congrats on not becoming a failed state I guess!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Forums Terrorist posted:

As an Irish person, "oh no terrorist government" arguments don't make as much of an impact tbh

Hamas in charge of all Palestine could be a dumpster fire but no more than any other group.

You're missing the point here. Since Hamas won the election back in '06 or so it hasn't allowed another one. The fact that it's also a terrorist organization is a secondary issue.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A good Discovery Channel vid on the Mi-24 - Following US troops in the 90s training against a captured Hind :krad:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Man, I remember Wings. That was like, an integral part of my childhood.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

British aviator squares off against Russian land-based force: https://youtu.be/GKm7NloL8bA

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Akion posted:

When they moved it off the vanilla Discovery channel in 1999, that was the beginning of the end of the Discovery Channel.

Excuse me, but I'm off to watch some The Secret Life of Machines... :'(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Akion posted:

Word. That show and 90s era history and discovery channel are a big part of why I am the way I am.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
drat, I forgot the showed dead bodies in some of these. Surprised my parents let me watch this.

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.

gently caress, JRTC used to have Hinds for OPFOR?!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Some exercises stateside still fly hinds. I've seen them plenty, though the one we'd use most often had the weaponry removed and was legally a regular civilian helicopter.

Pretty funny hearing "rockets and guns" blaring over exercise Guard while it screams by a formation of friendly helicopters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Chewbacca Defense posted:

gently caress, JRTC used to have Hinds for OPFOR?!

So did the Navy. And the AF actually flew MiGs before F-15s and F-16s took over the Aggressor mission. Now it's just cheaper to use Blackhawks painted like Hinds, and F-5s/T-38s/F-16s in Russian colors.

Edit: F-5s are smokey bitches when they cut to milpower.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

So did the Navy. And the AF actually flew MiGs before F-15s and F-16s took over the Aggressor mission. Now it's just cheaper to use Blackhawks painted like Hinds, and F-5s/T-38s/F-16s in Russian colors.

Edit: F-5s are smokey bitches when they cut to milpower.

Were there ever enough MiGs to really be replaced by F-15s and F-16s? My impression of Red Eagles was that while a lot of pilots were exposed to the real thing for a little while, they learned most of their poo poo from F-5s and T-38s using Russian style tactics.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I didn't actually mean there was a 1:1 ratio. Back in the day the USAF had at least four aggressor squadrons plus the Constant Peg aircraft, rather than the two understrength squadrons of today. The Navy had two squadrons of Kfirs though. Those were replaced by early Hornets, which have since been replaced by F-16s by also less than 1:1. Supposedly there are still a few Kfirs around, but I haven't seen one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Huh, I actually watched that Hind video a week ago but it didn't have the US training thing at the front. It's a good intro for the Soviet-Afghan War too since the Hind is the most iconic symbol of the Soviet military's involvement.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

To arm Syrian rebels, or not to arm? That was the question.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGm00TdqirY

~20 min video that is a pretty good overview of the MH17 downing and the evidence into it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Alaan posted:

~20 min video that is a pretty good overview of the MH17 downing and the evidence into it.

Russian "rebuttal" in which they set off a SAM next to an IL-86

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmraSOdTYk

...and the result looks identical to to the MH17 wreckage

edit: numbers

ought ten fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 14, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Alaan posted:

They say they excluded the possibility that MH17 had been struck by an air-to-air missile. Anyone know how you'd differentiate air-to-ground and air-to-air missile damage? Also, aircraft accident investigation teams are absolute wizards. So impressed with what a good job they can do with a heap of wreckage.

e: I guess they were able to determine the exact kind of warhead involved.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 14, 2015

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

:whitewater: The expression on that guy's face says it all.

ought ten posted:

Russian "rebuttal" in which they set off a SAM next to an IL-86

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmraSOdTYk

...and the result looks identical to to the MH17 wreckage

edit: numbers
Yeah, this is some pretty weak "evidence". Any differences are pretty easily accounted for by MH17 not being...you know...stationary on the ground. :psyduck:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Supposedly there are still a few Kfirs around, but I haven't seen one.

Nothing military to my knowledge, but ATAC has a few, along with a buttload of Hunters and (I think) a couple L-39s. There's also a company (I think) that was flying A-4s, but I'm not sure if that whole thing ever panned out.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, is the Buk warhead significantly larger than an air-to-air warhead would be? More than double the size of an AA-12 warhead based on some very quick Wikipedia research.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

iyaayas01 posted:

Nothing military to my knowledge, but ATAC has a few, along with a buttload of Hunters and (I think) a couple L-39s. There's also a company (I think) that was flying A-4s, but I'm not sure if that whole thing ever panned out.

I think I've seen photos of some A-4s with civilian registrations used by defense contractors for testing equipment.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

AceRimmer posted:

Yeah, is the Buk warhead significantly larger than an air-to-air warhead would be? More than double the size of an AA-12 warhead based on some very quick Wikipedia research.

And the Buk is one of the smaller ones. Russki missiles also strike from the top down and use fragmentary/penetrator proximity fused warheads to insta-kill targets, whereas AAMs come from behind and below, use HE warheads, and barring a lucky shot on a fuel tank or ordnance generally only cripple large aircraft engines and control surfaces enough that gravity does the messy part.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

Supposedly there are still a few Kfirs around, but I haven't seen one.

ATAC operates some out of Point Mugu, along with their Hawker Hunters. They show up in Fallon every now and then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ok, that would explain the stuff I was reading.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

AceRimmer posted:

Yeah, this is some pretty weak "evidence". Any differences are pretty easily accounted for by MH17 not being...you know...stationary on the ground. :psyduck:

I've seen people argue that because the damage is on the left side of the plane, the missile can't possibly have come from the separatists. There is a bunch of people out there who genuinely believe the only media in the world that isn't lying constantly to them is Russia Today.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Most people believe what they want and fit evidence to support those views.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Most people believe what they want and fit evidence to support those views.

A staggering number of those people are eyewitnesses in legal proceedings.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Word. That show and 90s era history and discovery channel are a big part of why I am the way I am.

Same here, in my case it was a mix of Extreme Machines and the Battlefield documentary series.
Even if I didn't capitalize on that in the same way perhaps.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

They say they excluded the possibility that MH17 had been struck by an air-to-air missile. Anyone know how you'd differentiate air-to-ground and air-to-air missile damage? Also, aircraft accident investigation teams are absolute wizards. So impressed with what a good job they can do with a heap of wreckage.

Yeah, the fragments were distinctive. Also our very own Brown Moses runs Bellingcat, which is so loaded with evidence that the separatists fired a Buk at it that he's currently very active in the journalism circuit and I believe has been involved in the Dutch investigation as well.

The "air-to-air" thing was a lovely Photoshop of a satellite image of a Flanker shooting at the airliner, which a few weirdo who really get into Russian propaganda believed.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

He's a Blogger.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

The "air-to-air" thing was a lovely Photoshop of a satellite image of a Flanker shooting at the airliner, which a few weirdo who really get into Russian propaganda believed.

It wasn't even a Flanker, it was a lovely photoshopped SU-25 IIRC.

A magical Frogfoot somehow flying 10,000 feet above its service ceiling :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Russia planes stronk!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

right arm posted:

He's a Blogger.

He's got a bit more credibility than the average blogger. Anyway, so are most "journalists" these days.

V That's your entire point? Ok, then.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 14, 2015

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

He's still a Blogger, though.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It was supposed to be an Su-25, but the picture very much showed a Flanker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brown Moses is pretty well known among journalists for his coverage of MH-17 and the war in Ukraine in general. Pro-Russian sources like to tout the "He's just an Internet guy and therefore wrong about everything" thing because he doesn't agree with them, but he has a ton of verifiable evidence that gets used in serious investigations. He's been virtually constantly speaking at meetings and talking to European politicians recently.

And he's hated by Graham Phillips, whose brain doesn't work right.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
BM gets props from cool guy bad rear end ex marine CJ Chivers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

priznat posted:

BM gets props from cool guy bad rear end ex marine CJ Chivers too.

Obligatory if you haven't read The Gun by Chivers go do so right now.