Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Is there any reason the Zweihander is not superior to the Greatsword? They've got the exact same stats except Zwei requires 4 less Strength, weighs 2 less and has a superior 2-handed heavy attack. I guess if you want your Iron Tarkus cosplay to be as accurate as possible you might want to use it, but other than that?

They both scale exactly the same at +15, so the only real difference is minimum requirements and their R2 moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Is there any reason the Zweihander is not superior to the Greatsword? They've got the exact same stats except Zwei requires 4 less Strength, weighs 2 less and has a superior 2-handed heavy attack. I guess if you want your Iron Tarkus cosplay to be as accurate as possible you might want to use it, but other than that?

Nope! Zweihander even has more range than the greatsword when they're 2-handed and is available way earlier.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Is anyone else's indictments not working?

Tried to indict two invaders (not blue Dark Moon spirits either) and it didn't do anything I still have the Indictments in my inventory.

VVVV Well that's stupid, especially since I brought a whole bunch of 'em.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 22, 2012

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Indictments don't get used up.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Which is weird, because you can totally buy a ton of them.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Which is weird, because you can totally buy a ton of them.
It was something that got changed, they used to be used up.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
but at least you can give them as presents to would-be victims.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I remember someone here saying that the amount of sin someone receives is dependent on the amount of indictments the victim holds.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Drop indictment, backstab, I'M SORRY.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Apropos my previous post, it's so much fun to sunbro as Tarkus. :3:

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Is there any reason the Zweihander is not superior to the Greatsword?

Greatsword r2s benefit from the leo ring. Other than that, no.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The biggest reason to pick Greatsword over Zweihaender is if you like the Greatsword more (Or are doing a gimmick, such as Tarkussssssss).

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Any fix for the mouse fix? The website has nothing :(

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Am I poo poo out of luck trying to use poison arrows at SL1? Goddamnit. :mad:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Lowest bow requires 10 dex I'm pretty sure, so you're boned. Maybe poison darts?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Poison arrows still poison at low dexterity, the arrow just does like 1 damage.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Ugh the bonfires in Dark Anor Londo are bullshit, when I die to Gwyndolin, it throws me back to that chick's bonfire, and I have to run all the way to Duke's Archives, teleport to where Gwynevere was, run all the way to Gwyndolin again while also moving around the staircase two times. :mad:
Also, I killed the Bed of Chaos. It was crazy easy, took like a minute and three hits. Now all that's left is Gwyndolin (:argh:), New Londo (I always get lost near Ingward, I can't find any way other than back) and the DLC.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Call Now posted:

New Londo (I always get lost near Ingward, I can't find any way other than back) and the DLC.

There should be a pretty plainly visible route to take alongside the church from the roof of it. Follow that and you should eventually bump into a door that you can use the key on, and from there it's pretty self explanatory. If you're fighting a bunch of ghosts then you aren't in the right place, but if you pick up a composite bow you're practically on top of it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Man, I've been invading as maneater manfred in anor londo and I'm getting a fair amount of hatemail. A guy using the childs mask, grass crest shield, elite knight set, BSS and ninja flip ring got really mad at me cause I used a humanity to heal myself. I'm a level 42 naked guy with a plank shield and a butcher's cleaver.

I have lost a bunch though. I keep getting sent after this one guy who whomps me with his dragon greatsword.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Smol posted:

Lore question: is Blighttown related to the Great Swamp?

No, other than the fact that they are both swampy places.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Man, I've been invading as maneater manfred in anor londo

Can you record yourself with fraps or something next time? This sounds fun and I want to see how it plays. :allears:

e; also, post your build please! Thanks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 22, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What is a good spear build for a complete novice who isn't really very good at video games?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Evil Eagle posted:

Poison arrows still poison at low dexterity, the arrow just does like 1 damage.

They weren't poisoning for me, and I shot about 20 poison arrows into a sentinel in Anor Londo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Serious Frolicking posted:

What is a good spear build for a complete novice who isn't really very good at video games?

Get 13 strength and 15 dexterity, and go pick up the winged spear in the Graveyard. Put everything else in endurance until you hit forty. Once you hit Sen's Fortress use the Lightning Spear, once you hit the Giant Blacksmith or Vamos upgrade to an elemental type.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I just started a new character to see how far I could get with a Dex-build guy and holy hell is the early game a hell of a lot harder without the Drake Sword. I kind of feel bad for using it now because it was obviously cheating.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Get enough strength to use whichever spear you want, and then dump points in dexterity (for damage scaling) and endurance (for lots of poking). Grab a shield with high stability (silver knight recommended) in your other hand and poke away from safety. That's how my first playthrough went.
That said, it's a playstyle that got pretty boring for me in the end. Once you get the feel of the game I suggest you try getting a big-rear end weapon, stripping down, and playing as a glass cannon. It's a lot more fun to be reckless once you know what you're doing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dragonwagon posted:

Get enough strength to use whichever spear you want, and then dump points in dexterity (for damage scaling) and endurance (for lots of poking). Grab a shield with high stability (silver knight recommended) in your other hand and poke away from safety. That's how my first playthrough went.
That said, it's a playstyle that got pretty boring for me in the end. Once you get the feel of the game I suggest you try getting a big-rear end weapon, stripping down, and playing as a glass cannon. It's a lot more fun to be reckless once you know what you're doing.
Or do what I did first time, get a big loving Zweihander, a good shield, and (at lightning +5, not good long-term but your first time through it's good enough) wander around New Londo turning Darkwraiths into paste.

The spear's safer, though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, other than the fact that they are both swampy places.

Can you record yourself with fraps or something next time? This sounds fun and I want to see how it plays. :allears:

e; also, post your build please! Thanks.

Or better yet, you should stream it!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Here's my terrible fucken build. I didn't really intend to pvp with this guy and I started as deprived. I don't even remember why I put 7 points into dex. I equipped the ring of favour and protection by accident which was just super annoying.

Really I'd like to drop the points from dex and put them into endurance or vitality. I could always level up some more but I kind of want to do some white phantoming at O+S, although nobody summons me.

I'd stream or record it but it would be reaaaally boring cause mostly what I do is hit people till their guard breaks and they stagger then keep hitting them till they die. This would be a hell of a lot easier with more end. There's a certain amount of shucking and jiving and I like to use the 1h R2 cause nobody expects the retard charge but really I'm nowhere near pro enough to stream.

One time I somehow ended up stuck facing backwards while locked on to a dude so when I tried to roll away from him I rolled towards him and died.

edit: the amount of hackers you run into in dark anor londo is very depressing. Ran into a guy who took 64k damage when I spawned in and I couldn't damage him at all.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 22, 2012

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Another fun spear build is pumping int to around 40 for the moonlight butterfly horn, then you also get to use sorceries, throw in a bit of attunement for either 4 or 5 slots, then put the rest into vit & endurance.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
A better first build is STR. Just pump the goddamn hell out of it and get yourself a big gently caress-off club that you can 1H, put up a Greatshield in front of you, and wear some middlin tier armor with a bunch of poise (Catarina is great for this but it costs a bunch to upgrade)

basically you will be a giant fat onionbro with an unstoppable mass of death that you swing around and every hit will plink harmlessly off the wall you carry in your offhand.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

best invasion ever

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

best invasion ever

Dark Souls is a grim dark fantasy game in which a lone hero must challenge the hordes of demons and maddened undead.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is SL 33 way too high for Dephts co-op? I'm getting like no hits. I guess I could move on to queelag.

E:Spelling

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 22, 2012

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
For Depths? It's a little high, but you should be able to get some people to summon you. Though, Queelag probably works plenty fine, too.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Depths seem dead right now. I haven't been invaded or summoned and I'm SL24 and been hanging out for about an hour.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Gaping Dragon isn't really that hard. Also, the Depths are miserable enough that people don't tend to wander around down there in human form. I got invaded a few times, though, but that could just be bad luck.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I just got invaded in the depths while sitting at the bonfire.

Got up to let my girlfriend out and I come back to nearly no health and some guy punching me over and over again. Dammit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

best invasion ever

Wait, hang on, is there a dance emote?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Depths seem dead right now. I haven't been invaded or summoned and I'm SL24 and been hanging out for about an hour.

Bad luck, I had multiple invasions and tons of signs showing up a couple days ago around this time when I was co-oping it with some friends.

If you're human, though, watch out that your sign isn't disappearing/bugging out due to invasion attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Wait, hang on, is there a dance emote?
Channeler Trident two handed R2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13fCKP6hB4

• Locked thread