Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Alereon posted:

Sandforce's background GC and write amplification are vastly better than other manufacturers, they're pretty much the only drives that can be used in a system without TRIM support without incurring a growing performance penalty over the long term. Anandtech specifically recommends against using Marvell-based drives (Crucial M4, Intel SSD 510) on Macs for that reason. Dual-booting isn't an issue though, especially if you're not doing substantial writes, and you can always TRIM the drive manually if you think performance is being affected. That said, you probably won't have any reason to dual-boot into XP on a modern system.
Noted, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

This is probably a stupid question but...

My wifes desktop is a P4 2.8GHz system with 2GB of RAM running Vista and some lovely hard drive.

She's fine with it, but every time I have to do something on it I want to scream in frustration. Would it be totally ridiculous to slap one of these 70 dollar SSD's in it so I don't have to wait 15 minutes for Firefox to load or whatever?

A $70 SSD will make the system faster, but it will still be a really slow system. You can always move the drive over to a $300 dell outlet system later though. Has your wife spent much time using newer systems? I see a lot of people who swear they are fine with their old computer right until they get a new one, because they have no experience with anything better.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

General_Failure posted:

edit: In case you are curious:

Yes it's as cheesy as hell. But I know what I'm doing.
God you are a loving huge sook. There are tons of online/storefront Australian stores that sell IT stuff at good prices. Even dodgey fucks at MSY can do great pricing. gently caress buying overseas, especially if you need to return something for RMA.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

You Am I posted:

God you are a loving huge sook. There are tons of online/storefront Australian stores that sell IT stuff at good prices. Even dodgey fucks at MSY can do great pricing. gently caress buying overseas, especially if you need to return something for RMA.

The best price in AU is $259. On Amazon it is $203 and I've seen it hit $180 previously.

Also, the price drop to $259 here was delayed quite a bit after the prices started falling towards $200 in the US.

So sure, you might be fine paying 25-50% more here but not everyone is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bob Morales posted:

Most people notice a huge difference. If you haven't used an SSD yet, you'll see what everyone's talking about. Plus it's only $75.

Thanks for that info. I run a SSD in my much newer i5 system...just didn't know if a SSD would be bottlenecked too much on something older. Now I know!

johndoe7776059 posted:

A $70 SSD will make the system faster, but it will still be a really slow system. You can always move the drive over to a $300 dell outlet system later though. Has your wife spent much time using newer systems? I see a lot of people who swear they are fine with their old computer right until they get a new one, because they have no experience with anything better.

Yeah, she also has a much faster C2D notebook. I don't know why she's fine with this old piece of poo poo desktop. She's a weirdo.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

The best price in AU is $259. On Amazon it is $203 and I've seen it hit $180 previously.

Also, the price drop to $259 here was delayed quite a bit after the prices started falling towards $200 in the US.

So sure, you might be fine paying 25-50% more here but not everyone is.

hm? I like my SanDisk. I know there seems to be a mis-communication here but just saying. It's the rest of the computer that's crap. Found something decent enough anyway. Just have to wait a little before I can get it.
No idea if the SanDisk is actually any good but it hasn't burst into flames or done anything otherwise odd.

I do have a question though. I said earlier that it has a small square of tape securing the SATA data cable in place. As far as I know all cables are created equal in regards to where they clip in to a drive. So is this an issue with the SanDisk SSD, 2.5" drives in general, or some sort of funky cable problem?
It's not hurting anything like this but it is kind of dodgy.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Alereon posted:

For $74.99 you can get a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe with adapter, and it's using the much superior Synchronous NAND versus the Asynchronous used in the OWC drive, which helps with the performance penalty from using such a small drive.

And those have the built-in garbage-collection?

I'm reading now on synchronous vs asynchronous, and it seems worth it.

It looks like the OWC "Extreme" line (what my 480GB drive is) has Synchronous NAND.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Alereon posted:

Sandforce's background GC and write amplification are vastly better than other manufacturers, they're pretty much the only drives that can be used in a system without TRIM support without incurring a growing performance penalty over the long term. Anandtech specifically recommends against using Marvell-based drives (Crucial M4, Intel SSD 510) on Macs for that reason. Dual-booting isn't an issue though, especially if you're not doing substantial writes, and you can always TRIM the drive manually if you think performance is being affected. That said, you probably won't have any reason to dual-boot into XP on a modern system.

Did I hugely gently caress up getting an M4 for my early 2011 MBP, then? I was under the impression you could enable TRIM manually and be fine.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ahh... poo poo. Just noticed there was an update for my SSD in May. Why i didn't see that before I don't know. It's a pretty necessary one too. And they only have a Windows updater. loving brilliant. Better get to work solving this. I hope it's just a bootdisk creator.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Krakkles posted:

Did I hugely gently caress up getting an M4 for my early 2011 MBP, then? I was under the impression you could enable TRIM manually and be fine.

You can do it through Terminal or with Trim Enabler 2.0

I've used the latter and it worked fine on my MBP with Crucial M4.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Seems like the SanDisk updater thing is just a boot disk maker. There are a few ways of doing this. By far the easiest is using my netbook. Might do that shortly, if I could be bothered. Alternately I coul duse the XP x64 install I have going in VirtualBox to make it assuming one of the hidden "rand()"s which I've always assumed to be in the XP installer don't hit the right number. This is my second install attempt. I know it'll work because I used it before. My previous attempt a few minutes ago had an installer crash. This time no. I hate XP so much. Glad it's more or less dead and buried. Only reason I keep it around at all is to run finicky programs.

No matter what I'm applying that update today though. Apparently TRIM isn't working with my current firmware. That won't do at all.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Self reply. Apparently after all my effort it already has the newest firmware. Wasn't expecting that because the patch was released in May and I got the SSD as a sale item a couple of weeks ago which usually entails that they have been there a little while.

Ordered a CPU/RAM/Motherboard combo today. Should sort out the SATA speed issue. I look forward to seeing what happens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OWC has a 960GB 2.5" SSD

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6038/owc-releases-960gb-mercury-electra-max-3g-ssd

It's basically two 480GB Sandforce drives using RAID 0 crammed into one. Anand has requested one for review, could be an insanely-fast single drive solution.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The RAID controller has its throughput bottlenecked below 300MB/sec (which is why they used SATA300 controllers), so I'd expect it to actually be slower than normal single-controller, SATA600 Sandforce drives (especially since there's no TRIM support). They did this because they're only using the RAID0 to expand the capacity (allowing them to fit more than 512GB of NAND while still using 8GB dies). It'll be interesting to see what the reliability is like, I'm pretty concerned to see OWC moving in a very OCZ-like direction.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alereon posted:

The RAID controller has its throughput bottlenecked below 300MB/sec (which is why they used SATA300 controllers), so I'd expect it to actually be slower than normal single-controller, SATA600 Sandforce drives (especially since there's no TRIM support). They did this because they're only using the RAID0 to expand the capacity (allowing them to fit more than 512GB of NAND while still using 8GB dies). It'll be interesting to see what the reliability is like, I'm pretty concerned to see OWC moving in a very OCZ-like direction.

:doh: I didn't notice it was an Electra 3G

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don't use Trim Enabler for Macs. All it does is switch a critical kext from Snow Leopard into Lion, and probably breaks poo poo deep inside the system because of all the internal OS dependencies. It's the Windows equivalent of mixing and matching DLLs between XP and Vista and hoping everything keeps working.

Use the manual method described here:

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

Don't use Trim Enabler for Macs. All it does is switch a critical kext from Snow Leopard into Lion, and probably breaks poo poo deep inside the system because of all the internal OS dependencies. It's the Windows equivalent of mixing and matching DLLs between XP and Vista and hoping everything keeps working.
That's only true for ancient pre-2.0 versions of Trim Enabler, isn't it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Anandtech has posted their review of the new Plextor M3 Pro series of SSDs. The M3 Pro is identical on the hardware level to the M3, with a Marvell controller and 24nm Toshiba Toggle NAND, the only difference is an optimized firmware. It is a faster drive, though I'm skeptical whether the difference is large enough to justify the price premium, especially since there's no difference in the hardware. It does have very low power usage and a 7mm profile for laptops, however.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I've just gotten myself a Mushkin Cronos 240GB SSD and the speed of start up is much faster than I thought SSDs provided. It really is one of those 'see it to believe it' scenarios.

I wondered if anyone had seen a strange bug I seem to be getting. I have had a number of blue screens since installing it. I've tried both Windows 8 64bit and Windows 7 profession 64bit on it and I THINK I've located the problem but just wanted some advice.

It seems to bluescreen if Origin is running and downloading something. This only occurs if I leave the PC alone, thought. It doesn't seem to crash it if I'm downloading and browsing the web, or messing with files.

Is this linked to Origin or is there a possibility that when I leave the PC alone, some idle setting is kicking on and locking everything up?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
As HS would say, D'Oh!
Was just looking at the mobo specs and it supports SATA 3Gb/s, not 6. not sure how I messed that one up. Possibly looked at the wrong board suffix specs before. I guess it's no massive deal. The SanDisk will have an IO bottleneck still but nowhere near as bad as what it is now.

Question. From what I've seen, when going from plain SATA to AHCI it clobbers preexisting data for some reason. Is that correct, or just internet mumblings?

It's not a big deal even if I have to reinstall because it's still fresh and I haven't really set much up that backing up my /home won't fix.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

demolina posted:

I've just gotten myself a Mushkin Cronos 240GB SSD and the speed of start up is much faster than I thought SSDs provided. It really is one of those 'see it to believe it' scenarios.

I wondered if anyone had seen a strange bug I seem to be getting. I have had a number of blue screens since installing it. I've tried both Windows 8 64bit and Windows 7 profession 64bit on it and I THINK I've located the problem but just wanted some advice.

It seems to bluescreen if Origin is running and downloading something. This only occurs if I leave the PC alone, thought. It doesn't seem to crash it if I'm downloading and browsing the web, or messing with files.

Is this linked to Origin or is there a possibility that when I leave the PC alone, some idle setting is kicking on and locking everything up?

Your idle setting theory is a possibility. Mostly look for anything that tries to "spin down" the SSD or something that will put the computer to sleep.
Although I'm running linux I can say that sleep mode hasn't worked for me since I installed the SSD. I don't mean it doesn't work at all. It goes through the motions, tries to go to sleep and instantly wakes back up. I put this down to possibly the lack of AHCI support on my board. Beyond that no idea. Never had sleep issues before.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Laptop user here, the mSATA section in the OP is rather sparse, especially in light of all the new Ivy Bridge laptops that were just released*. Right now it looks like the only models avalible are from Intel, Mushkin, ADATA, and the oft-beloved OCZ.... mostly Intel and OCZ. Any reccomendations, especially pointing out which are current gen vs last gen would be greatly appreciated. I'm a ThinkPad user, if that makes any difference; although Dell, Sony and some other top tier mfgs seem to have adopted mSATA as a widespread standard.

*And also the new Macbooks, but they apparently use some wonky proprietary mSATA connector which nobody supports...yet

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Crucial makes an mSATA c400 drive

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who sells it?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It looks like it's only being sold to OEM Ultrabook makers right now. :(

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Oops, looks like the C400 is the oem version, and the M4 is the retail version.

Which I can't find either.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I suspect mSATA drives will be rather scarce as production ramps up to meet demand. It seems that a lot of new laptops support mSATA. I would have bought one by now for my laptop if there was a clear winner. Newegg appears to be sold out of most of their mSATA stock. Prior to this year, only a couple of ThinkPad and other high end models ever allowed you to install two drives in them.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
I came in today and my computer was sitting at a BSOD. When I restarted it, it would no longer detect my SSD. (Crucial M4).

I unplugged the whole system for a few seconds and plugged it back in and it started working fine again. Is this something I should be concerned about?

We had a storm roll through yesterday and the power flickered at home a few times, so I assume it did at the office as well, though this system is on a UPS.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Maniaman posted:

I came in today and my computer was sitting at a BSOD. When I restarted it, it would no longer detect my SSD. (Crucial M4).

I unplugged the whole system for a few seconds and plugged it back in and it started working fine again. Is this something I should be concerned about?

We had a storm roll through yesterday and the power flickered at home a few times, so I assume it did at the office as well, though this system is on a UPS.
Make sure you have backups of any data that is important to you and make sure the drive has the latest firmware. Not much you can do aside from that.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
You may want to update the firmware on the M4 if you haven't already done so.

The latest firmware is version 000F. http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx?source=

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Use the manual method described here:

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

The point of using the current version of Trim Enabler on a Mac is that it does NOT install the kext from 10.6.

It patches the existing 10.7 kext just like the manual method you posted. It simply gives you a 1-button way of doing it.

The article you linked on doing it manually is a year old. The current/easy way is to just use Trim Enabler.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maniaman posted:

Fat load of good it'll do ya if it's not online / double-conversion.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Ugh, it just locked up and disappeared again. Going to try updating the firmware, and if it doesn't work hopefully it's still under warranty and I can RMA it.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm trying to figure out which mSATA drive to purchase for my new laptop, and what I should put on it once I get it. I read the OP, and my impression is that the mSATA hardware is relatively new and changing, so I figure I better make a post about it to find out the most up-to-date answer.

What mSATA drive currently offers good value for money, while still offering notable performance gains over a 5400rpm HD? I don't need the fastest mSATA in the world, so price is more important for me. I will be using it to play games; I figure that games like Skyrim (which presumably involves a lot of loading screens as you travel around) will benefit greatly from having an SSD.

Also, when I use the mSATA SSD I just push it into my laptop port, right? And then the laptop will automatically recognise it and I just go ahead and install the game to it? I read about updating the firmware if necessary, and I'm happy doing that, but I don't need to format it when I get it, do I? Also, the O/S wouldn't be installed on the mSATA, so would that affect my performance (I assume the boot-up times wouldn't be improved at all)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agesilaus posted:

I'm trying to figure out which mSATA drive to purchase for my new laptop, and what I should put on it once I get it. I read the OP, and my impression is that the mSATA hardware is relatively new and changing, so I figure I better make a post about it to find out the most up-to-date answer.

What mSATA drive currently offers good value for money, while still offering notable performance gains over a 5400rpm HD? I don't need the fastest mSATA in the world, so price is more important for me. I will be using it to play games; I figure that games like Skyrim (which presumably involves a lot of loading screens as you travel around) will benefit greatly from having an SSD.

Also, when I use the mSATA SSD I just push it into my laptop port, right? And then the laptop will automatically recognise it and I just go ahead and install the game to it? I read about updating the firmware if necessary, and I'm happy doing that, but I don't need to format it when I get it, do I? Also, the O/S wouldn't be installed on the mSATA, so would that affect my performance (I assume the boot-up times wouldn't be improved at all)?

You want the mSATA disk to be the C: drive with your Windows install on it. I'd buy whatever I could get my hands on, since they aren't that common.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bob Morales posted:

You want the mSATA disk to be the C: drive with your Windows install on it. I'd buy whatever I could get my hands on, since they aren't that common.

Huh, if that's the case I may well wait half a year or so before I go down the mSATA road, then. I'm not too eager to pay a premium, and if they're really in such high demand I'm guessing that the price per gigabyte will plunge at some point.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I posted previously that my OCZ Agility had died at some point (after about 18 months of use) and been RMA'd. I've had the replacement drive for about 11 months and now it is corrupting the filesystem, too. I'm still in warranty from my original purchase, but if you had told me that I'd need to RMA the same drive twice in that three year period, I'd have purchased an Intel.

Now that there's more manufacturers with reliable drives, I'm debating buying a M4 and relegating the OCZ poo poo they replace to a less important PC than the main one I do everything on, because having it up and die every year or so sure is frustrating.

Oh, and because they've got the OCZ technology forum, of course they'll probably recommend to run their destructive flash and reinstall the drive and use it until it fails again to make sure it's actually going bad, so there's going to be a week of frustrating PC hardware swapping and windows reinstalling before I actually get an RMA, most likely.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 3, 2012

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rexxed posted:

I posted previously that my OCZ Agility had died at some point (after about 18 months of use) and been RMA'd. I've had the replacement drive for about 11 months and now it is corrupting the filesystem, too. I'm still in warranty from my original purchase, but if you had told me that I'd need to RMA the same drive twice in that three year period, I'd have purchased an Intel.

Now that there's more manufacturers with reliable drives, I'm debating buying a M4 and relegating the OCZ poo poo they replace to a less important PC than the main one I do everything on, because having it up and die every year or so sure is frustrating.

Oh, and because they've got the OCZ technology forum, of course they'll probably recommend to run their destructive flash and reinstall the drive and use it until it fails again to make sure it's actually going bad, so there's going to be a week of frustrating PC hardware swapping and windows reinstalling before I actually get an RMA, most likely.

Look, don't bother, just say you did whatever stupid poo poo they want and then get the RMA directly.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

redeyes posted:

Look, don't bother, just say you did whatever stupid poo poo they want and then get the RMA directly.
Pretty much this. Lie your rear end off to them, tell them you did the flash, sacrificed the goat, etc. Then RMA it and either, as you said, put it in a less-used system, or sell that bitch on eBay and use the money to grab an Intel/M4/830. Unless they changed it recently, OCZ at least sends out RMAs in sealed retail boxes, so you can get a pretty good price for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm starting to think my issue isn't just origin, but actually downloading files for extended periods of time. SSDs shouldn't have an issue downloading origin or steam games should they?

I have a Mushkin Cronos 240GB drive and the crashes seem to happen after downloading for a while or pausing the download and then starting it back up via steam.

Could I just have a faulty drive? I've only had it for six days but already experienced 12 or so blue screens. Its definitely got the most up to date firmware.

• Locked thread