Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Well trying to gift this to my friend may not have been a great idea. He says he may be done after having played it for 90 minutes. He somehow missed the starting weapon on two different characters and was trying to chip away at the Asylum Demon with a broken sword hilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the PC multiplayer community still active?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Snagged this off amazon, had previously played it w/o online support in the past for about an hour, but man this game fuckin' owns with all the messages and rating messages and looking at phantoms with crazy-rear end weapons you don't have. I got smashed by the Taurus Demon by being stupid, sadly, but that's not much of a surprise because it's a bit of a dick. I've really been enjoying being lead to areas I never would have explored due to the messages, though.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I can't wait to see your reaction to the Tomb of the Giants :allears:

"*pant...pant...pant...*"

Dude, I've beaten Gwyn 3 times now and the Tomb of the Giants still scares me. :stare:

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Atomicated posted:

Well trying to gift this to my friend may not have been a great idea. He says he may be done after having played it for 90 minutes. He somehow missed the starting weapon on two different characters and was trying to chip away at the Asylum Demon with a broken sword hilt.

...It's literally right in front of them, in the middle of a narrow corridor, just lying there, shining as one of the three brightest things you can find in the Undead Asylum.

Even if they get past UA, I see the entirety of the game being a huge roadblock.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, but that's not it.

Figured it out, I think - that's the Dark Hand.
What, you've never seen the Dark Hand in action? Plus that was explicitly stated.

Atomicated posted:

... Did they even try running away from it?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Atomicated posted:

Does he make a living commentating Call of Duty on YouTube? This is an earnest question.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got far enough into the DLC to get Dark Bead, and wow! You all were right, this thing is so powerful. Especially when all the projectiles hit the same target, this is kinda crazy. I would have thought it'd have a higher INT requirement considering how strong it is.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Zereth posted:

... Did they even try running away from it?

Yeah that was my first question. But no he said it was the second time when he drops down on it from a ledge.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Splash Damage posted:

Is the PC multiplayer community still active?

It's reasonably active, but boring.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I did my first SL1 dickwraith invasion today.

I got a fair fight. :wtc:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I just noticed that there's a big elevator and a normal sized elevator up to Gwynevere. I love little attentions to detail like that.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
This is currently $15 on Amazon. Tell your friends.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00917DBUE/ref=dsvrt_review_asin_detail

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm planning on a Grant sunbro gimmick. Anything that sticks out in this build? http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b...W4sd29vZGVuLDE= (The dex is there mostly as an earlygame concession and me messing around with stats)

Of course, now I realize I won't actually be able to co-op with anybody at that level... I guess I could give up the sunlight spear for some other useful stuff and get to invading.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Working on my SL1 run. A couple of observations:

- Normal Smough is vulnerable to lightning. A Lightning Reinforced Club +3 will do about ~230 damage per hit.
- Two Great Combustions or three regular ones will stagger Normal Ornstein.
- If you get clipped by Super Smough's electric buttslam, it's not a one-shot unless you're directly under him or you're not topped off.

Just some advice to anyone else trying it, or struggling with Abbott and Costello in general. If you're killing Smough first, lightning helps for round 1. Fire and fast weapons are your best bet for round 2 (no matter who you kill first), unless you're a smashbro in which case strap on a greatshield and your heaviest, smashiest weapon and nothing else. Maybe Havel's ring. You don't want to fatroll in this fight. Midrolling is okay if you can time it right.

I swapped to my Jagged Ghost Blade +5 for Super Smough and I can't really tell if he's vulnerable to bleeds or not, but a few solid hits staggered him long enough for me to get away and regain stamina.

Any idea what I should do for super ornsein? I'm doing a SL8 run with a thief and my melee weapons don't do much damage to him (barbed fire sword +5 does 44 damage to him) and great combustion does like 400 damage but is too slow and I get smashed so easily. I'm using the dragon crest shield +2.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Are the big giant dudes in Gwynevere's cathedral the only source of Titanite chunks in the game? They're kind of annoying to farm but my cold Nippon steel demands upgrading.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Vanderdeath posted:

Are the big giant dudes in Gwynevere's cathedral the only source of Titanite chunks in the game? They're kind of annoying to farm but my cold Nippon steel demands upgrading.

There are some other dudes you can find after lowering the water in New Londo Ruins.

Said other dudes also drop titanite slabs once in a blue moon.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

GoldenNugget posted:

Any idea what I should do for super ornsein? I'm doing a SL8 run with a thief and my melee weapons don't do much damage to him (barbed fire sword +5 does 44 damage to him) and great combustion does like 400 damage but is too slow and I get smashed so easily. I'm using the dragon crest shield +2.

Use great combustion and dodge better. That's really the only advice I can give you. Or summon a friend.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

GeckoMissingo posted:

Levels don't mean much in relation to how powerful someone is. It's more likely the first guy had really good armor. Out of curiosity where did you get invaded the first time?

Wandering around in the cathedral that houses the bell tower and gargoyles. Why he felt the need to invade a very early game character I do not know. I could have killed him due to the weapon he was wielding was easy to avoid, but it would have taken me prolly 30 minutes just to whittle his health down.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Use great combustion and dodge better. That's really the only advice I can give you. Or summon a friend.

This. On low levels runs, if you're using pyromancy, it's important to really get a handle on the timing of the combustions. Usually you'll have time for one after certain attacks from each boss. You just gotta learn what they are. Solaire also helps a bunch in that fight.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm giving my older brother (I'm 24, he's 27) a copy of Dark Souls for Christmas. Problem is, I got it on Amazon as a Steam code and can't figure out a decent way to give him his gift. My family is gathering this year for Christmas and doing the "sit down and open presents" thing, so I'm trying to figure out a decent way to physically present him his gift.

First thought was emailing him the code and giving him an empty box, then, when he opens it, leaping up, punching him in the mouth, and yelling "WELCOME TO DARK SOULS, BITCH!" But I doubt my family would approve, so that's out. If anyone can think of a picture that perfectly captures the essence of Dark Souls, I'd print it out and put his code at the bottom, along with an IOU for three calls for aid slash "get out of jail free" for when I invade him (ie three times he can call me up for help with a boss, answer to a significantly spoilery question, or to tell me to gently caress off when I'm invading him). Seems like a decent way to do it, though if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Buy a christmas cracker, carefully open it up, remove everything from the inside and insert a piece of paper with Dark Souls written on it along with the code, then fill up the rest of the cracker with nails and close it up again.

Would work better if they could explode out non-lethally, but just sort of scattering around will suffice.

Or, you could just print off a large screen-cap of the YOU DIED image and write it on there. Both are good.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Magres posted:

picture that perfectly captures the essence of Dark Souls

I don't know how you'll print out a .gif, but

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Don't forget to update the OP with gibbed's updated logo skip, please.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black background, "PREPARE TO DIE" in red.

Also include the steam code but don't indicate it's a steam code for the true :darksouls: experience.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

To build on the post above, just write the code on the paper but not in order, just a mess of numbers and letters. Let them figure it out. Can use one of the 3 help options to actually find out how to install the game.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Magres posted:

I'm giving my older brother (I'm 24, he's 27) a copy of Dark Souls for Christmas. Problem is, I got it on Amazon as a Steam code and can't figure out a decent way to give him his gift. My family is gathering this year for Christmas and doing the "sit down and open presents" thing, so I'm trying to figure out a decent way to physically present him his gift.

First thought was emailing him the code and giving him an empty box, then, when he opens it, leaping up, punching him in the mouth, and yelling "WELCOME TO DARK SOULS, BITCH!" But I doubt my family would approve, so that's out. If anyone can think of a picture that perfectly captures the essence of Dark Souls, I'd print it out and put his code at the bottom, along with an IOU for three calls for aid slash "get out of jail free" for when I invade him (ie three times he can call me up for help with a boss, answer to a significantly spoilery question, or to tell me to gently caress off when I'm invading him). Seems like a decent way to do it, though if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears.

Try to start a sword fight with him, stab him in the back and let him fall to the ground. Throw a wadded up piece of pink or blue paper on him that has "You died" written on it. Roll away and let him open the paper that includes the code.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

For getting a tail weapon, do you have to actually hit the tail with a melee weapon to "cut" it off, or is just doing enough damage to it with magic or anything enough for it to come off?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Siljmonster posted:

Try to start a sword fight with him, stab him in the back and let him fall to the ground. Throw a wadded up piece of pink or blue paper on him that has "You died" written on it. Roll away and let him open the paper that includes the code.

Don't forget to throw poop at him!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

For getting a tail weapon, do you have to actually hit the tail with a melee weapon to "cut" it off, or is just doing enough damage to it with magic or anything enough for it to come off?

You don't have to specifically cut it off. In a lot of cases just doing enough damage to the tail will cause it to pop off, or at least, that's the case with the centipede demon and the gargoyles from what I've seen.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Where's an easy spot to get summons to help with bosses when you're past O&S? I can't think of anywhere that might get a lot of hits. Should I try where you fight Sif?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Thanks for the heads up; I've been skimming this thread while I consider picking up the game over the Steam sale and was starting to get impatient waiting for it to go below $20. Hellz yeah, gonna get my poo poo pushed in by a video game today.

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009

Dragonwagon posted:

I don't know how you'll print out a .gif, but

Ahahhahahaha that just happened to me right now, at the exact same spot. Anor Londo can be really frustrating.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, but that's not it.

Figured it out, I think - that's the Dark Hand.
Yeah, someone already answered you that it was the Dark Hand :v:
My response was more of a joke response because the Channeler Trident is the greatest dance there is.

GoldenNugget posted:

Can you two hand the Crystal Halberd you get from the Mimic in early Anor Londo? That thing does a ton of damage, especially if you poop in some upgrades. I was practicing some speedrunning and used the crystal halberd to fight S&O, which was wonderfully strong.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Nahxela posted:

Can you two hand the Crystal Halberd you get from the Mimic in early Anor Londo? That thing does a ton of damage, especially if you poop in some upgrades. I was practicing some speedrunning and used the crystal halberd to fight S&O, which was wonderfully strong.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Cool thanks guys. I'll practice and since I've boosted my glove to +5 ascended it should work. I'll also check out the crystal halberd.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
To gift just the code, get a bottle of Sunny D, tear off the label, dress it up like the Estus flask, toss it in a box with an "antique key" you can buy at Hobby Lobby or Michaels for like ten bucks, and include what somebody else mentioned--a printout of "PREPARE TO DIE" with the code in the back. Bonus points if you photoshop it on so it looks like the little subtitle that pops up announcing invasions/summons

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Went and bought a gamepad for this yesterday, and already put 9 hours in. gently caress yeah.

I'm at the 3rd major bonfire- where I can either go down to the Prowler Demon to Darkroot Forest, or back toward the Church toward the Bell Gargoyle boss.

I'm fairly sure I hosed my character up though. My vitality is at 12 while my Endurance is at 25. Warrior. Someone told me "Stamina is all that matters" and now pretty much every fight is a question of whether I lost half my HP in a hit or not.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
That's every battle in this game. Keep raising your END unless you're getting one-shot by everything or find a new weapon you need better stats for, and want to use. Don't forget to upgrade your shield and pieces of armor. Armor itself doesn't matter, wear whatever looks cool, but make sure to upgrade it

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Shima Honnou posted:

They're giving each other the dark hand.

Haven't heard it called that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Goddamn it guys help me out, someone must have had the same issue. I've been without Dark Souls for three days and I was forced to resub to WoW :ohdear:

Basically, whenever I start a game on any character (new characters even), I instantly fall through the world, die, and repeat. I've reinstalled the game, verified files and nothing loving works. Also the colors of my characters are way off. I haven't done anything with the cheatengine (never downloaded even)

• Locked thread