Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I would install FreeNAS since TrueNAS is still beta. Even when it goes release, I have no plans to update for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

For a new NAS build, I believe I am going to roll with ZFS. Seems to meet almost all of my requirements.

On a new deployment, should I be going with TrueNAS 12 instead of FreeNAS 11.2/11.3?

Going to mostly be hosting a bunch of large spinning disks for SMB shares + some SSDs for either iSCSI/NFS for ESXi VM storage.

Sounds like they're about to get mashed together anyway:
https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/freenas-truenas-unification/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Takes No Damage posted:

Sounds like they're about to get mashed together anyway:
https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/freenas-truenas-unification/

Yeah, that was my thought process. Start clean with a 12 install instead of doing an 11.2 install then a 12 upgrade/migration in a few months.

phosdex posted:

I would install FreeNAS since TrueNAS is still beta. Even when it goes release, I have no plans to update for a long time.

Yeah, I will be doing some stability testing before loading it up with data.

Moey fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 26, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

My NAS project is beginning to stare me in the face again and I've been stocking up drives (was originally built w/ 8TB Reds and then barely used... now getting some Exos 16TB in, slowly), but I'm already thinking hypervisor choices.

Historically, I've always used ESXi, but I'm curious about Hyper-V Server 2019 and I guess Proxmox is new? Plan is to PCIe pass through my LSI 3008 HBA on the mobo to a FreeNAS / TrueNAS VM, and then do... something with a collection of NVMe and SATA drives I have, and I'm not quite sure what I want to do there. Either give them to the hypervisor for hosting disks, or find a way to give the C206 chipset SATA controllers over to FreeNAS as well for a SSD array.

Stick with ESXi? Check out Hyper-V 2019?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

movax posted:

If you're familiar and happy with ESXi, I don't think Hyper-V is gonna get you much extra in terms of features. On the other hand, if you can stand the chance of loving things up and want to use it as a learning opportunity, it's not like Hyper-V isn't a viable option.

I don't think there's any way to pass SATA/AHCI chipset controllers through directly. You can probably get a cheap PCIe card for that, though, if you've still got slots open. You can always throw a small NVMe at FreeNAS as a cache if you really want to, otherwise just keep 'em as disks with the hypervisor if you don't have any clear-cut use cases for them.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

If you're familiar and happy with ESXi, I don't think Hyper-V is gonna get you much extra in terms of features. On the other hand, if you can stand the chance of loving things up and want to use it as a learning opportunity, it's not like Hyper-V isn't a viable option.

I don't think there's any way to pass SATA/AHCI chipset controllers through directly. You can probably get a cheap PCIe card for that, though, if you've still got slots open. You can always throw a small NVMe at FreeNAS as a cache if you really want to, otherwise just keep 'em as disks with the hypervisor if you don't have any clear-cut use cases for them.

I've got a single x1 3.0 slot free, which I could toss a PCIe/M.2 adapter into to maximize the bandwidth.

I need to make a longer effort post when I'm ready, but I've basically ended up with a ridiculously overkill amount of hardware for a home NAS / VM box through my initial project purchases (likely back in this thread in 2017... X11SSL-CF, Skylake Xeon, 64 GB RAM) and then stuff that's trickled in via cast-offs / friends (I have a Samsung PM1725 sitting in my x16 slot, for example) + SATA SSDs packed into the Node 804. Need to just find the optimal arrangement for all of that and get the box finally up and running, and then try to recover data from my old OpenSolaris based NAS which has been off for a few years now...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

If it's a LSI controller that just happens to be on the motherboard, it'll be passable same as any other PCIe device.

Also, speaking from experience, it is very possible to pass the chipset's own AHCI controller using VT-D, at least on ESXi. But then you have to use something else for the datastore that hosts whatever your NAS VM boots on.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

I drive a BBW posted:

I've got a Synology DS416j with three 4tb disks in a SHR configuration (7.27tb total space) that is running really low on storage. Obviously the easiest thing to do right now would be to just grab another 4tb drive and call it a day, but I'm thinking I'd like to go ahead and just throw a few larger disks at it so I'm not having to rethink this in 8-12 months when I run out of space again. What is the easiest way to do this? If I have to start over from scratch and copy everything back over to the NAS it's something I can do, but is there a way I can do this without having to rebuild the array and back to the NAS?

Alright I've answered my own question by rtfm. Now the question is, what are the go to drives these days? Currently have Western Digital Reds. I'm thinking probably around 8tb?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

movax posted:

My NAS project is beginning to stare me in the face again and I've been stocking up drives (was originally built w/ 8TB Reds and then barely used... now getting some Exos 16TB in, slowly), but I'm already thinking hypervisor choices.

Historically, I've always used ESXi, but I'm curious about Hyper-V Server 2019 and I guess Proxmox is new? Plan is to PCIe pass through my LSI 3008 HBA on the mobo to a FreeNAS / TrueNAS VM, and then do... something with a collection of NVMe and SATA drives I have, and I'm not quite sure what I want to do there. Either give them to the hypervisor for hosting disks, or find a way to give the C206 chipset SATA controllers over to FreeNAS as well for a SSD array.

XCP-NG. Open source port of Xenserver Hypervisor, but all the Enterprise features are license free. Proxmox is nice but kinda glitchy

movax
Aug 30, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it's a LSI controller that just happens to be on the motherboard, it'll be passable same as any other PCIe device.

Also, speaking from experience, it is very possible to pass the chipset's own AHCI controller using VT-D, at least on ESXi. But then you have to use something else for the datastore that hosts whatever your NAS VM boots on.

Yeah, it's a LSI 3008 that's on one half of the CPU's PCIe lanes — I passed that through before without problems.

I think I have a little SATA DOM in there right now, ostensibly for the ESXi install, but I guess people really do install and run from USB sticks (I guess if you backup all your configs + the real VMDKs live elsewhere, it's not a big deal if the USB stick grenades... just still wigs me out). Some googling suggests I have to force add the PCI VID/DID to the passthru.map to allow them to get through to FreeNAS, and then I wholesale commit to having FreeNAS provide iSCSI or other shares that the hypervisor can use to run stuff. Seeing as this is a storage oriented box + VM for Plex/general Linux infra'y type things, doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world.

Not rolling networking into it this time — learned my lesson there. Looked good on paper, less than optimal when you're working on your big VM host and break the network while doing stuff.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I drive a BBW posted:

Alright I've answered my own question by rtfm. Now the question is, what are the go to drives these days? Currently have Western Digital Reds. I'm thinking probably around 8tb?

Buy and shuck best buy easy stores. 8, 10, 12, or 14tb. Look for sales. Should be like $170/10tb?

Seriously.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

I drive a BBW posted:

Whatever Red/White drives meet your storage sized needs. Shucking out of Essentials/Easy Stores is still the way to go if you're the one paying for the things. Don't go any smaller than 8TB right now, because 6 and below you get into SMR territory, which isn't where you want to be.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I just figured since he mentioned the C206 chipset that he was actually talking about the chipset itself and not a companion LSI controller.

Interesting that you've been able to do it--I wonder if the two boards I've had for NAS/VM duty just have something funky about them that disables that option. Cool to know it's at least technically possible! As mentioned, I guess you could slap ESXi onto a USB thumbstick, but, uh...that seems like running some risks I wouldn't be comfortable with.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 26, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

Whatever Red/White drives meet your storage sized needs. Shucking out of Essentials/Easy Stores is still the way to go if you're the one paying for the things. Don't go any smaller than 8TB right now, because 6 and below you get into SMR territory, which isn't where you want to be.

Yeah, I just figured since he mentioned the C206 chipset that he was actually talking about the chipset itself and not a companion LSI controller.

Interesting that you've been able to do it--I wonder if the two boards I've had for NAS/VM duty just have something funky about them that disables that option. Cool to know it's at least technically possible! As mentioned, I guess you could slap ESXi onto a USB thumbstick, but, uh...that seems like running some risks I wouldn't be comfortable with.

I actually typo'd — it's a C232 PCH, accompanying Skylake / LGA 1151, not a C206 which I guess was the Sandy Bridge-era workstation PCH.

Apparently ESXi on USB / SD Card is... normal? I hate USB with a passion but if I'm passing through the SATA controller, no way ESXi can boot off the SATA DOM.

Now I want to Google the comedy option — PXE.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I've ran ESXi on thumb drives in production for years. Switched to mirrored internal SD cards now.

Redirect your logs to a syslog server (or blackhole them if you don't care) and you are fine.

If one dies, ESXi will keep chugging along. It runs entirely in RAM after boot. Only thing you can't do is mount VMware Tools ISOs.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I run esxi on thumb drives too. I also virtualize freenas on it. I've used esxi for a long time so very familiar with it. I recently took a look at proxmox and found it to be pretty confusing. But I do see a lot of people using it in r/freenas.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Professionally I've run ESXi on USB drives as well on some huge servers, not just cheapo budget colo setups. Used to be the primary configuration supported if you bought ESXi through HP IIRC.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Speaking of thumb drives, are there any good brands that have about 1TB of storage? I'm looking for something I can use to backup all my important files and take with me if needed. Like if the answer's no I can just get an external, but the idea of a TB thumb drive just tickles me. I remember when 256mg was the new hotness.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Could I talk you into a SSD Based External Hard Drive... I would generally go with Samsung for the actual drive, although for this use, you also want to consider the enclosure itself. I've also had no problem with ADATA: Samsung T7 or ADATA SE800 and Sandisk

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Heners_UK posted:

Could I talk you into a SSD Based External Hard Drive... I would generally go with Samsung for the actual drive, although for this use, you also want to consider the enclosure itself. I've also had no problem with ADATA: Samsung T7 or ADATA SE800 and Sandisk

I'll second the Samsung.

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Touch-Portable-SSD-MU-PC1T0K/dp/B082YGLNGR/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Speaking of thumb drives, are there any good brands that have about 1TB of storage? I'm looking for something I can use to backup all my important files and take with me if needed. Like if the answer's no I can just get an external, but the idea of a TB thumb drive just tickles me. I remember when 256mg was the new hotness.

https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-512GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B083ZS4HYD/

These little things are great. I've had a lightly used 32GB one which I've written over dozens of times now. I leave it in my car hooked up to USB in 100F+ heat, I use it for OS installs, etc. I wouldn't rewrite it constantly, but for a "second copy" of data it should be fine. I would still dump it into a cloud somewhere.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Heners_UK posted:

Man, I would love to get a SSD drive, but they're just too expensive for the space compared to a HDD for me. I recently put a 6TB HDD in my computer, and it was about 150$. If I wanted an SSD at that size I'd have to spend about 500$. Once they get cheaper I'll be all over that because I ADORE the SSD NVMe drive my computer came with, but I can't justify that kind of money right now. I'll probably just get that one H110Hawk mentioned, but I was more just curious about how far thumb drives have come along. Thanks for the info though guys.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 27, 2020

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Here's an odd conundrum. On the left is a 'Properties' window for one of my music directories, as viewed in File Station on my Synology; on the right is the exact same folder, only from Windows Explorer's 'folder properties' window (from where it's mounted as a network location).

It's quite a discrepancy - any idea why Windows Explorer thinks the directory is almost three times larger than the Synology DSM does? How do I know which is accurate?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Normally I'd assume compression, but I can't imagine getting a 3:1 ratio on mp3s. Also of note is they're counting a different number of files and folders, which unless you have a whole bunch of dot-folders or ones with different permissions set to cut off access for the Windows box, is...odd.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
It's a heap of OGG audio files - seems weird but I don't know if that would affect anything? I'd spent a weekend squishing my 'master collection,' ugh, from a mix of FLACs and MP3s into OGG, with the aim of keeping the compressed(ish) OGGs in Google Drive. Which is why I'm scratching my head over the filesize discrepancy in the first place.

I've compared a subdirectory in the same way, and it's the same issue only the other way around:

I suspect Windows Explorer is choking in some way; as I don't believe that file count for a second, let alone the 30x filesize difference :pwn:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spincube posted:

Here's an odd conundrum. On the left is a 'Properties' window for one of my music directories, as viewed in File Station on my Synology; on the right is the exact same folder, only from Windows Explorer's 'folder properties' window (from where it's mounted as a network location).

It's quite a discrepancy - any idea why Windows Explorer thinks the directory is almost three times larger than the Synology DSM does? How do I know which is accurate?

Do you have a recycle bin enabled somewhere? Versioning? Permissions errors? Why does Wandows show a different count of files?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
No to all of those; in fact I'd literally emptied the recycle bins, both on the NAS and my desktop PC, before I thought to check the directory sizes on a whim. I've also had a scout around with 'view hidden files' enabled in Windows Explorer, just in case there was some hidden-folder fuckery going on, and nada.

I'm honestly baffled. There are four subdirectories in the 'cloud music' directory I'm investigating; Windows Explorer reports that the root directory is ~205GB. However, checking each subdirectory the same way reports that Subdir 1 is 1.28GB; subdir 2 is 3.35GB; subdir3 is 25.7GB; and subdir4 is 810MB; which doesn't come anywhere near to 205GB.

However, DSM reports that the 'cloud music' folder is ~77GB, and the reported filesizes of the four subdirectories all add up to this as well; which supports my hypothesis that Explorer is choking somehow, but I've no idea why or how this is happening.

[e] unless ... I've got Synology's own Cloud Sync package set to sync the contents of the directory with Google Drive overnight, which I guess could be throwing off the filesize/file counts somehow? There's literally nothing in the directories other than music and coverart, though, so I've no idea how any possible temporary files could be counted via Explorer and not by DSM (or vice versa).

I'm getting the feeling there's a really simple answer to all this and I'm missing the forest for the trees haha

spincube fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 27, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I wonder if there are symlinks involved that DSM knows how to follow properly but Windows is getting really, really confused by.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

spincube posted:

Windows guessing at the sector size and is off by a lot? If Windows thought it was 16k sectors and it's 4k?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

spincube posted:

No to all of those; in fact I'd literally emptied the recycle bins, both on the NAS and my desktop PC, before I thought to check the directory sizes on a whim. I've also had a scout around with 'view hidden files' enabled in Windows Explorer, just in case there was some hidden-folder fuckery going on, and nada.

I'm honestly baffled. There are four subdirectories in the 'cloud music' directory I'm investigating; Windows Explorer reports that the root directory is ~205GB. However, checking each subdirectory the same way reports that Subdir 1 is 1.28GB; subdir 2 is 3.35GB; subdir3 is 25.7GB; and subdir4 is 810MB; which doesn't come anywhere near to 205GB.

However, DSM reports that the 'cloud music' folder is ~77GB, and the reported filesizes of the four subdirectories all add up to this as well; which supports my hypothesis that Explorer is choking somehow, but I've no idea why or how this is happening.

[e] unless ... I've got Synology's own Cloud Sync package set to sync the contents of the directory with Google Drive overnight, which I guess could be throwing off the filesize/file counts somehow? There's literally nothing in the directories other than music and coverart, though, so I've no idea how any possible temporary files could be counted via Explorer and not by DSM (or vice versa).

I'm getting the feeling there's a really simple answer to all this and I'm missing the forest for the trees haha

Maybe point WinDirStat at it to see what that shows?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tk posted:

Maybe point WinDirStat at it to see what that shows?

Good idea. A quick scan suggests the directory is indeed roughly 77GB, the same as DSM indicated. So, one mystery solved at least; it's definitely Explorer doing something strange, but exactly how and why is another mystery :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Im the chief dork today

https://twitter.com/freenas/status/1299396652445253634?s=19

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
This should be a pretty straightforward and common task but I can't find any info on it. I have a 4tb HDD serving as volume 1 in my Synology DS218+. Another 4tb is working as volume 2, basically. Volume 1 needs more space and I can't really think of anything to do but replace the drive with an 8tb.

However, volume 1 is the system drive. So how do I get the data from Volume 1 onto this new, larger drive and then make sure that DSM then acknowledges that it has more space? Will Macrium Reflect do the job if I just plug both drives into my computer or do I need to use DSM somehow to do this properly?

I could also probably persuade my wife that we should just upgrade the 2-bay NAS to a 4-bay and sell the existing one if that's the only way.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
finally had time to play around with my new 920+ and plex. the dual-core Celeron J3355 in the old DS218+ had problems adding subtitles to x265, but the quad-core Celeron J4125 in the 920+ doesn't seem to have any speed or buffering problems. both CPUs have the same base clock of 2.0ghz, so I assume plex is taking advantage of the extra cores, which is a pleasant surprise, especially if you're a life-long member of The Lost Otaku on Team Subs (gently caress dubs)

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 29, 2020

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I guess the new NAS uses hardware transcoding.
Plex is just stupid and requires transcoding to add subtitles. I just use a different media server that doesn't have this problem (emby)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

for some reason Plex is designed to transcode always unless you ask it very very nicely and it's in a good mood today.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

BabyFur Denny posted:

I guess the new NAS uses hardware transcoding.
Plex is just stupid and requires transcoding to add subtitles. I just use a different media server that doesn't have this problem (emby)

Plex has been able to direct stream subtitles for a while, even image-based ones like PGS subtitles that are common in Remuxes.

It’s the individual Plex players that vary in ability. Apple TV and Shield Plex players can direct stream almost everything. But if you own a TV without recent updates it may not support direct stream.

Basically, you want your Plex player to use their "new" player, rather than the old one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just bought a new house and I'm getting it wired for cat 6... So naturally I'm geeking about new a new hardware/home server setup.

I currently run an itx i3 server running unraid/Plex and a bunch of docker containers. I only really stream content inside my network. It has a bunch of local storage and runs hotish but does the job.

For my new server setup, I wanted to get a rack setup, still low profile and hopefully low power it
And/or power efficient. I'm also going to run some home automation stuff on it. I'm eyeing either two approaches...

1. NUCs on a rack shelf running k8s or similar with a NAS like Synology or similar
2. Low profile supermicro or similar with a NAS

#2 gets to IPMI and I'd probably run Proxmox or similar

Just curious what the goonsensus would be on approaches here.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Gyshall posted:

Just bought a new house and I'm getting it wired for cat 6... So naturally I'm geeking about new a new hardware/home server setup.

I currently run an itx i3 server running unraid/Plex and a bunch of docker containers. I only really stream content inside my network. It has a bunch of local storage and runs hotish but does the job.

For my new server setup, I wanted to get a rack setup, still low profile and hopefully low power it
And/or power efficient. I'm also going to run some home automation stuff on it. I'm eyeing either two approaches...

1. NUCs on a rack shelf running k8s or similar with a NAS like Synology or similar
2. Low profile supermicro or similar with a NAS

#2 gets to IPMI and I'd probably run Proxmox or similar

Just curious what the goonsensus would be on approaches here.

Option 1 is definitely the lower powered of the two. I replaced several larger servers with NUCs and have been very happy. Performance is great. The original servers were power sucking Xeons and these are i3s and are running LXC containers with no issues at all, very snappy. Even lowered my electric bill a bit. IPMI is nice I must admit, I've got a FreeNAS server with it and it does come in handy for times when it's needed. Just gotta weigh the options of full powered PSUs vs low powered NUCs. Both are capable.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you are happy with clustered style computing I would absolutely do that. Single supermicro servers are going to be worse in every way in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

bobfather posted:

Plex has been able to direct stream subtitles for a while, even image-based ones like PGS subtitles that are common in Remuxes.

It’s the individual Plex players that vary in ability. Apple TV and Shield Plex players can direct stream almost everything. But if you own a TV without recent updates it may not support direct stream.

Basically, you want your Plex player to use their "new" player, rather than the old one.
Yeah, direct streaming with subtitles works fine on my Roku TV, but it does strip out all of the formatting. To be fair, Emby did the same thing last time I tried it. If you are playing anime or something else with fancy subtitles, it often won't look right.

I ended up just switching back to having the subtitles burned in, since at least that gets the formatting correct.