Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

The Ripper's album was my old-school Sepultura thrash standard for 2016. Good stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Kreator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeUBJ2Ha-FM

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

This is definitely Kreator. Good poo poo.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I'm pretty stoked for the album after hearing that.

Also I know people are pretty tired of Metallica-chat, but gently caress you. This album would be 100% better if they just stuck Spit out the Bone on the end of disc 1 and cut the second disc entirely. Queue the "it would be better if they retired lmao" jokes.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ZGXySaI0A

live right now

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

Also I know people are pretty tired of Metallica-chat, but gently caress you. This album would be 100% better if they just stuck Spit out the Bone on the end of disc 1 and cut the second disc entirely. Queue the "it would be better if they retired lmao" jokes.

After hearing the whole thing, I completely agree with you. Most of the songs on the second disc suck, except Bone, which is the best song on the album.

Grindcore ASMR
Nov 28, 2015

Completely agree. Spit out the Bone and Moth Into Flame are great, but so much of the album sounds like Load/Reload. Though I think most double albums could have been snipped down to a good single one with better editing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I can't really think of any double albums that I wouldn't prefer if they were cut down to a single disc.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Was going to say The Wall, but even that has some weird little interlude tracks that aren't so important to the 'story'. Double Nickels on the Dime or Zen Arcade maybe...

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Thanks for the names. I'm not hearing anything remotely "metal" in any of this, but whatev--it's interesting in its own way.

Not metal but the ridiculously named New Retro Wave genre does have some hidden gems floating around. At least it's better than dubstep :shrug:

Check the Hotline Miami soundtrack for a pretty decent crash course in what it sounds like when techno kids try to exploit 80s nostalgia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKD-MVfC9Ag

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ok so yeah, Spit Out The Bone is an unquestionable highlight. The rest of the album didn't grab me too much. Definitely has its moments, but also a lot of parts that didn't evoke much feelings other than "yep, Metallica is playing". They did the right thing by expanding the sonic palette compared to Death Magnetic; they actually pulled out stuff from their bag of tricks other than "10-minute thrash epic" this time around. But overall I think I prefer DM anyway. As one-note as it was, it had a lot more general headbanging "oomph" to it. (Sorry, I meant "OOH!") The only song here that really made me feel that way was SOTB.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah I can't really think of any double albums that I wouldn't prefer if they were cut down to a single disc.

Quadrophenia

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Funny enough, Hardwired is only 3 minutes longer than Death Magnetic, and it's still a few minutes shy of the 80-minute mark. It's only a double album by vinyl standards, but I guess that's a thing again.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Thanks for the names. I'm not hearing anything remotely "metal" in any of this, but whatev--it's interesting in its own way.
Not that it literally sounds like metal, but I believe most people who say "synthwave is like metal" mean that the heavier stuff has the same sort of feel and intensity to it. I mean stuff like this. And a lot of the accompanying art and imagery is kinda similar. It has been noted that the metalhead and synthwave fan demographics seem to have a lot of overlap.

Like with any genre, the majority of synthwave (or retro wave or whatever) is samey, forgettable junk, but I personally loving love the good stuff no matter how "metal" it is or isn't. I mean I can see the connection but I don't think it's really a big deal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just want to go to a show where the openers don't include some local metal musician's darkwave project again.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOk1xOm4Rq8

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah I'm pretty stoked for the album after hearing that.

yeah, "jokes"

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nordick posted:

Like with any genre, the majority of synthwave (or retro wave or whatever) is samey, forgettable junk, but I personally loving love the good stuff no matter how "metal" it is or isn't. I mean I can see the connection but I don't think it's really a big deal.

Actually there's plenty of genres that are mostly good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The real question is which major thrash band is most in need of retiring? Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica. All are missing long time important members and they all sound like shadows of their former selves. Not sure which should go, they all make me sad.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sepultura

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

A human heart posted:

Do tell!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

The real question is which major thrash band is most in need of retiring? Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica. All are missing long time important members and they all sound like shadows of their former selves. Not sure which should go, they all make me sad.

unless you count neil turbin or dan lilker as long time important members anthrax still has their lineup from when anyone still gave a poo poo about them minus dan spitz

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Death is a pervasive theme in all metal, so these old acts are really just documenting the process of dying which is extremely brutal.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Arivia posted:

You didn't mention them, however Sepultura should have ended when Max left.

Slayer's last album was pure trash, album before was listenable. They still bring it live though, so if they just toured and release 1 or 2 songs here and there, I'd be ok with that.

I never liked Anthrax and Metallica will never hang it up when they can sell millions of records.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
every band should follow a logan's run system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGrfhsxxmdE

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Arivia posted:

You can certainly argue that metallica's studio stuff sucks these days, but they put on shows that are a ton of fun to see. They play forever, their performance is still drat good, and they mostly play old stuff anyway.

Slayer was pretty good when i saw them three or four years ago. Anthrax I never really liked much except watching Ian on VH1 specials where he was really funny.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

A human heart posted:

Unlike your posting

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ah gently caress! ah poo poo!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Platypus Farm posted:

Anthrax I never really liked much except watching Ian on VH1 specials where he was really funny.

I cant watch any metal special because I just KNOW Im gonna have too see him, Dee Snider, Kat Von D, Dave Ghrol and a bunch of other twats prattle on.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You shut your bitch mouth about Dee Snider or I'll fight you I swear to god

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Re: Spit Out The Bone - Have we talked yet about how amazingly cheesy the video is? Because LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m46Z0-HXySo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Last time I saw Slayer they sounded terrible and I left before they finished the set.

They should probably retire.

So should the rest of those bands, tbh

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Re: Spit Out The Bone - Have we talked yet about how amazingly cheesy the video is? Because LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m46Z0-HXySo

It looks like some Dethklok type poo poo.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Holiday road trip music binge thoughts: Blind Guardian's first two albums rip way more than I appreciated the last time I listened through them (whenever that was)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

After a few more listens new Metallica is good.

I feel like James and Rob are the only competent members of the band though. Kirks solos have never really grabbed me and there is one solo that sounds like its straight out of Of Wolf And Man. or Wherever I May Roam. I cant remember.

Lars is just a boring drummer. he straight up copied a bit from Cyanide off Death Magnetic.

James cant sing like he did but he still plays well and obviously writes well enough, but needs to be told how to keep things moving. This album doesnt plod along anywhere near as much as DM but most of the songs are too long still, having said all they need to by the time they hit the solo. He also seems to enjoy using odd cadence with lyrics at times (like Now That We're Deads chrous hitting on "That"), either to sound technically proficient or because hes shoe-horning his average lyrics in.

Rob is a good player but you never really hear him doing much in the mix so he gets a pass I guess.

Dream no more would be cooler if it wasnt laid on so thick that its another cthulhu song.

I think a lot of the writing ability in the band was Drunk James and Cliff (and mustaine but w/e) and without Cliff everything since has suffered. AJFA is not a bad album, but its definitely my least favorite of their 'big 4' albums.

WRT the videos, there is one for like every song on the album, which is a pretty good way to make a lot of poo poo videos.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Stumbled on this by accident. Seems to be a cool young band from Sweden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmPrvpUpvo

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This is still a completely cool song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-swZZPOmoE

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
This just came up in my "watch again" queue on YouTube. RIP Jim Sadist.

This show was so much fun. It was Nunslaughter, Shitfucker, Acid Witch, and Midnight at the Hell's Headbangers Records compound out in northern Ohio a couple of years ago. I know my drunk fat rear end and a few friends are up in this video, and while I was at Razor in Cleveland about a month ago this guy stops me and asks me what my name is, and then proceeds to explain that he recorded this show for HHR and put it on DVD, and apparently I have a major part in the beginning where I'm just yelling like a lunatic. I should probably buy it just for the souvenir value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nxw-x18Vzw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Define good please. Because after you said that it's one negative after another. :lol: