Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is anything new out that’s good? For the first time in a while I’ve got nothing to watch. The last few new shows I’ve seen were Fallout, Shogun, and Masters of the Air.

I've started watching Korean dramas recently and am a bit hooked. Mainly because I feel like I've already seen all good American television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, speaking of new Korean stuff, Parasyte was a pretty decent horror romp

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Resident Alien continues to be a strong contender for the best role of Alan Tudyks whole career, save for Firefly which I am also re-watching. The man has range and is effortlessly funny no matter the script. RA has the advantage of also having Linda Hamilton show up in the more recent seasons but sadly she's not given much to do. A lot of the heavy lifting this go-round is given to the minor players in the cast and they're all great. Even the mayor, who I hated before, has grown on me. A fun ensemble sci-fi comedy? In this economy?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rappaport posted:

Oh, speaking of new Korean stuff, Parasyte was a pretty decent horror romp

I never saw the movie, may have to now.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

You don’t need to; it stands alone. I haven’t seen the movie but I have read the manga and watched the anime. The grey takes place in Korea, concurrent to the original story but with (virtually) no direct connection.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I binged all of The State recently on archive.org and its really funny, a great sketch show that lives somewhere between Kids in the Hall and Mr. Show. It's a very nostalgic watch as it encompasses a lot of the early 90s culture that I was just a bit too young to understand. It's ending is unfortunate as they had the offer of 65 more episodes from MTV, but took a chance jumping to CBS for both a bigger paycheck and because the MTV renewal deal was badly communicated to them. Then they were promptly cancelled after 1 special on CBS because that network's demographics skewed elderly and didn't give a poo poo about them.

But that led me to check on what the members did since then, and I started watching the most recent show Michael Showalter wrote on and produced called "Search Party", which seems very promising. Although many of the characters are annoying (but on purpose, for comedic reasons.)

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 12, 2024

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Ccs posted:

But that led me to check on what the members did since then, and I started watching the most recent show Michael Showalter wrote on and produced called "Search Party", which seems very promising. Although many of the characters are annoying (but on purpose, for comedic reasons.)

Oh my, are you in for a ride.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ccs posted:

When you start episode one of search party, write down your prediction for the series finale. As loosely as you like.

Then read it 5 seasons later.

It’s a good show.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:getin::hf::sickos:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Search Party is peak :classiclol: :tviv: :stonk:

Enjoy the ride

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've been re-watching Fringe on background.

RIP Lance.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ccs posted:

I binged all of The State recently on archive.org and its really funny, a great sketch show that lives somewhere between Kids in the Hall and Mr. Show. It's a very nostalgic watch as it encompasses a lot of the early 90s culture that I was just a bit too young to understand. It's ending is unfortunate as they had the offer of 65 more episodes from MTV, but took a chance jumping to CBS for both a bigger paycheck and because the MTV renewal deal was badly communicated to them. Then they were promptly cancelled after 1 special on CBS because that network's demographics skewed elderly and didn't give a poo poo about them.

I was a HUGE fan of The State back when it aired in 1994 and 1995. I was in high school then, and my sense of humor was being shaped and formed by The Simpsons, Seinfeld, and this show as well. The '90s brought us a sketch comedy boom, but The State remains my favorite. SO MANY of the cast members have gone on to great things.

My favorite guys, David Wain, Michael Ian Black, and Michael Showalter were in a one-season Comedy Central show called Stella, that never fails to crack me up, even today.

Wain has written and directed some really great comedy films and TV series, including Wet Hot American Summer, which he co-wrote with Showalter (the original movie and the two Netflix series that came out years later, focusing on the first day of camp and a ten-year reunion, respectively). These feature a lot of State alumni (Showalter, Black, Ken Marino, Joe Lo Truglio), and the original movie features early, pre-superstardom appearances by Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, Elizabeth Banks, and Amy Poehler, plus a hilarious performance from Christopher Meloni.

Wain also co-created one of the funniest shows of all time, Childrens Hospital, and occasionally appeared on it as Rabbi Jewy McJewJew. And he also wrote and directed They Came Together, a delightful parody of rom-coms, starring Poehler and Rudd (who works with Wain a lot, also in Role Models and Wanderlust).

Michael Ian Black is a solid stand-up comic these days.

Aside from co-creating Wet Hot American Summer and Search Party, Showalter directed The Baxter (starring himself, Elizabeth Banks, and Justin Theroux, another State-adjacent guy) and The Big Sick, that Kumail Nanjiani movie. He has done some other mainstream directing, but nothing else stands out to me. (His most recent project was that new Amazon movie where Anne Hathaway falls in love with a much younger guy from a boy band, but it was not good.)

Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant starred in Reno 911 together, which I never got into, but it stuck around for a long time. They have also become in-demand comedy screenwriters.

Ken Marino is always a pleasure to watch in anything these days. He was one of the leads in Party Down and played a supporting role in Black Monday, two of the best sitcoms that not nearly enough people have seen (along with Stella and Childrens Hospital).

Joe Lo Truglio was a regular on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 12, 2024

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The Big Sick kind of flew under the radar, it's a romcom with a sort of original plot. It was funny too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

The Big Sick kind of flew under the radar, it's a romcom with a sort of original plot. It was funny too.

An original plot because it was a true story. The real Emily V. Gordon did fall into a mysterious coma back when she and Kumail were first dating.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My favorite guys, David Wain, Michael Ian Black, and Michael Showalter were in a one-season Comedy Central show called Stella, that never fails to crack me up, even today.

Oh yeah I love Stella. I watched it back in maybe 2008, a few years after it got cancelled. Those three guys have successful careers, but they're also at that tenuous level of fame where they can drop off your radar for like 10 or 15 years before you go "oh it's something new from one of those guys", unless you actively seek out their projects.

Anyway I just watched Wet Hot American Summer for the first time. I was entertained. Its the sort of movie I can watch and go "I get the joke here, that's clever", but I don't actually laugh*. There's also the added irony of Showalter doing so much in the movie to be the main guy, and at the end Paul Rudd's character gets the girl, and it feels like that mirrors their careers a bit (not saying Rudd didn't put in the work, but... he is more conventionally attractive.)

*Reading articles about the movie afterwards, when one would quote a line from it, I would laugh. Uh... i guess it works better on repeat viewings?

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 12, 2024

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

An original plot because it was a true story. The real Emily V. Gordon did fall into a mysterious coma back when she and Kumail were first dating.

Oh drat. That's awesome and sad at the same time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Wet Hot American Summer shows on Netflix are also great, especially the first one

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

I was a HUGE fan of The State back when it aired in 1994 and 1995. I was in high school then, and my sense of humor was being shaped and formed by The Simpsons, Seinfeld, and this show as well. The '90s brought us a sketch comedy boom, but The State remains my favorite. SO MANY of the cast members have gone on to great things.

Wain has written and directed some really great comedy films and TV series, including Wet Hot American Summer, which he co-wrote with Showalter (the original movie and the two Netflix series that came out years later, focusing on the first day of camp and a ten-year reunion, respectively). These feature a lot of State alumni (Showalter, Black, Ken Marino, Joe Lo Truglio), and the original movie features early, pre-superstardom appearances by Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, Elizabeth Banks, and Amy Poehler, plus a hilarious performance from Christopher Meloni.

Wain also co-created one of the funniest shows of all time, Childrens Hospital, and occasionally appeared on it as Rabbi Jewy McJewJew. And he also wrote and directed They Came Together, a delightful parody of rom-coms, starring Poehler and Rudd (who works with Wain a lot, also in Role Models and Wanderlust).

Michael Ian Black is a solid stand-up comic these days.

Aside from co-creating Wet Hot American Summer and Search Party, Showalter directed The Baxter (starring himself, Elizabeth Banks, and Justin Theroux, another State-adjacent guy) and The Big Sick, that Kumail Nanjiani movie. He has done some other mainstream directing, but nothing else stands out to me. (His most recent project was that new Amazon movie where Anne Hathaway falls in love with a much younger guy from a boy band, but it was not good.)

Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant starred in Reno 911 together, which I never got into, but it stuck around for a long time. They have also become in-demand comedy screenwriters.

Ken Marino is always a pleasure to watch in anything these days. He was one of the leads in Party Down and played a supporting role in Black Monday, two of the best sitcoms that not nearly enough people have seen (along with Stella and Childrens Hospital).

Joe Lo Truglio was a regular on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Funny. I just ripped my 'Stella' DVDs onto my computer in the past couple of hours. 'Michael and Michael Have Issues' was pretty good too. Stinks that neither show found much of an audience.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Agreed, those guys rule, I was peeved when Comedy Central cancelled Have Issues. I was like, of all the zillion shows they've had on this channel I don't care about, they cancel the one I wanted. Ditto for NBC and Andy Barker PI, though I know network TV is even more cancel happy.

MIB's podcasts rule too, like Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, and Topics with Showalter. I got to see Stella live, and saw The State live on their recent tour too.

Hughmoris posted:

I've started watching Korean dramas recently and am a bit hooked. Mainly because I feel like I've already seen all good American television.

Let us unpack this! Have you seen a lot of 1970s and 80s shows? And 60s stuff like The Prisoner (not US there granted, how about Star Trek and Twilight Zone)? I don't feel like I'll ever run out, ditto for movies.

And I'll say, even as an oldschool movie buff (and anime for TV), I wasn't watching too much super retro US TV until recent years. Say five years ago I thought I wouldn't like say Cheers and Magnum P.I., turns out I love those shows. I feel like I'm getting more and more into retro stuff, and stuff I had never heard of (more so for movies), and there's just so much interesting stuff when I get acclimated to the styles of the time etc. Anyways just wanted to ramble about how I'm digging oldschool stuff.

Getting the Laverne & Shirley DVD box set this week! It is kooky that some of this stuff isn't all available on streaming, even #1 for years shows like that. And speaking of Children's Hospital, the Fonz (Henry Winkler) is indeed in the first two eps to launch the show in style. Michael McKean is also on it! Just wild that key cast members of say Barry and Better Call Saul are in these 70s sitcoms I'm getting into. Talk about legendary careers.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 13, 2024

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Funny. I just ripped my 'Stella' DVDs onto my computer in the past couple of hours. 'Michael and Michael Have Issues' was pretty good too. Stinks that neither show found much of an audience.

I consider myself a superfan of the State/Stella alumni, and I've never even seen Michael and Michael Have Issues. And I love Kumail and Jessi Klein too! For the longest time, it hasn't been available to stream anywhere.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

I consider myself a superfan of the State/Stella alumni, and I've never even seen Michael and Michael Have Issues. And I love Kumail and Jessi Klein too! For the longest time, it hasn't been available to stream anywhere.

I rewatched it a couple years back. Pretty sure there was a torrent floating around.....probably with just a handful of seeders. But it's a must watch if you are a State/Stella fan.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

One of the joys of this thread is when someone new discovers Search Party and seeing their reactions as the show goes on. I hope they somehow manage to make one more season that throws everything left at the wall.

But yes The State influenced literally all modern comedy. It’s wild to look at a photo of that group and see how nearly everyone went on to have a very successful career. It’s a shame that you can’t just find like, every skit on YouTube anymore. “Porcupine Racetrack” was the funniest thing I’d ever seen when I was a 19 year old in 2006 discovering it 15 years late.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ok I know nothing about Search Party but have Max so I’m going in

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MokBa posted:

But yes The State influenced literally all modern comedy. It’s wild to look at a photo of that group and see how nearly everyone went on to have a very successful career. It’s a shame that you can’t just find like, every skit on YouTube anymore. “Porcupine Racetrack” was the funniest thing I’d ever seen when I was a 19 year old in 2006 discovering it 15 years late.
I loved "Porcupine Racetrack" as a 15-year-old in 1995 discovering it as it aired, and I love it just as much now. I often sing it to myself while doing mundane things like laundry, and I use it as a barometer to gauge what people consider funny.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cat Hassler posted:

Please do us all a favor. After a few episodes, take the main characters and write were you imagine they und up by the end of the series.
Love the show.

To this day that was the only show I bothered making a thread for.

Fair warning: season 1 felt the weakest to me. Even on my rewatch. Still good though.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

cant cook creole bream posted:

Please do us all a favor. After a few episodes, take the main characters and write were you imagine they und up by the end of the series.
Love the show.

To this day that was the only show I bothered making a thread for.

Fair warning: season 1 felt the weakest to me. Even on my rewatch. Still good though.

Will do. Started first episode - hey that’s Maebe!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hell yeah :allears:

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I wish I could have extremely targeted amnesia allowing me to watch Search Party fresh again, so as a substitute please post your thoughts

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Heavy Metal posted:

Let us unpack this! Have you seen a lot of 1970s and 80s shows? And 60s stuff like The Prisoner (not US there granted, how about Star Trek and Twilight Zone)? I don't feel like I'll ever run out, ditto for movies.

And I'll say, even as an oldschool movie buff (and anime for TV), I wasn't watching too much super retro US TV until recent years. Say five years ago I thought I wouldn't like say Cheers and Magnum P.I., turns out I love those shows. I feel like I'm getting more and more into retro stuff, and stuff I had never heard of (more so for movies), and there's just so much interesting stuff when I get acclimated to the styles of the time etc. Anyways just wanted to ramble about how I'm digging oldschool stuff.

Getting the Laverne & Shirley DVD box set this week! It is kooky that some of this stuff isn't all available on streaming, even #1 for years shows like that. And speaking of Children's Hospital, the Fonz (Henry Winkler) is indeed in the first two eps to launch the show in style. Michael McKean is also on it! Just wild that key cast members of say Barry and Better Call Saul are in these 70s sitcoms I'm getting into. Talk about legendary careers.

I haven't seen any of the old-timey stuff. Most of the shows that I've seen are probably 2000+. I'm not against the old classics but I can't say I've ever really found one that I want to watch.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

I think I was one of the more recent (most recent?) people to watch Search Party itt and I genuinely loved the thread cheering me on and telling me to make the prediction of how it ends.

And now I get to enjoy being on the other side! Strap yourselves in friends :getin:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hughmoris posted:

I haven't seen any of the old-timey stuff. Most of the shows that I've seen are probably 2000+. I'm not against the old classics but I can't say I've ever really found one that I want to watch.

Right on, something to explore I'd say! And with the 90s in the mix, I'd say Sliders s1-3 holds up, that's fun. Twin Peaks. Batman and X-Men the animated series. Anime a la Cowboy Bebop, top tier stuff. Spaced is great.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

I loved "Porcupine Racetrack" as a 15-year-old in 1995 discovering it as it aired, and I love it just as much now. I often sing it to myself while doing mundane things like laundry, and I use it as a barometer to gauge what people consider funny.

I hadn’t thought of that skit for probably a few decades, but I immediately heard the song in my head when I saw these posts.

That show was great, but I’m outta heeeeEEEEre.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
This is my annual alert for the one or two other goons here who are into this, but season 10 of Brokenwood Mysteries is dropping on Acorn (and maybe PBS?). It's a good and chill NZ procedural very much in the model of Midsummer Mysteries. One improvement over the latter is that it basically all takes place in the same location so the secondary characters that add small town color keep reappearing so you actually feel like it's a small town (with an unsustainably high murder rate, but what can you do). Somehow the first ep of Season 10 didn't really do it for me but the second and third were pretty good.

Hughmoris posted:

Seconding Magnum PI... As with all these they're long-running network shows so they can be uneven. M*A*S*H has some incredible episodes and holds up reasonably well except for the misogyny imo.
X-files, Northern Exposure are pretty good too. Maybe LA Law, I never saw it during the original run but my wife and I got through about 4 seasons of it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BetterLekNextTime posted:

M*A*S*H has some incredible episodes and holds up reasonably well except for the misogyny imo.

I'm a huge M*A*S*H fan the same I way I am a huge Seinfeld fan: they are both awesome for the first five seasons. Seinfeld fell apart after Larry David left and M*A*S*H went from being a great screwball comedy with doses of drama to a mediocre comedy with not infrequent ham-fisted drama. Yes, Burns is cartoonish but he's supposed to be, and the show was funnier for it.

As for other classics, give Barney Miller a try. First off, one of the greatest TV theme songs ever, just killer. It was way ahead of its time and is loaded with great characters and performances.

Gary Shandling's The Larry Sanders Show was brilliant and hilarious. Rip Torn in particular is great as Larry's producer/right hand man.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

This is my annual alert for the one or two other goons here who are into this, but season 10 of Brokenwood Mysteries is dropping on Acorn (and maybe PBS?).

Nice! I keep saying that when the show has run its course and if there's a real written final season, the last episode needs to be Frodo as the obvious (and true) murderer. My wife thinks make it the Russian pathologist but I argue that's too easy.

Or main character's car starts a killing spree a la Christine.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

cant cook creole bream posted:

[Re: Search Party...]

Love the show.

If you were to somehow measure the distance from where a show started, to where it ended, I think Search Party would be the clear winner for the entire history of television.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Hughmoris posted:

If you were to somehow measure the distance from where a show started, to where it ended, I think Search Party would be the clear winner for the entire history of television.

The beauty of Search Party, beyond its insane trajectory, is that it somehow manages to keep the same throughline from start to finish. The show is always about (extremely large spoilers ahead do NOT read if you haven’t seen it) Alia Shawkat’s narcissism and delusions of grandeur, and the way she drags the people around her down. She destroys the lives of her friends, her acquaintances, her lovers, and eventually the entire goddamn planet all because she feels purposeless. Like it’s a show that truly goes to unexpected places, but it somehow still manages to stay true to itself the entire time.

The cast really carries it too. Alia, John Early, Heredith Hagner, and John Reynolds are just a constant delight even when they’re playing the worst people you’ve ever seen. I could watch them get into any situation and I low key wish the show had gone on indefinitely. Plus it introduced me to Griffin Newman (who is now one of my favorite podcasters) playing the most stressed out person I’ve ever seen on television which he continued to do on The Tick.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just blew through the first season of The State thanks to the comments above. I lost it during the Crispy Pops skit. I love intelligently stupid humor and this definitely scratches that itch!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Cat Hassler posted:

Just finished the 4th episode of season one. Dory and her boyfriend had Gavin over (Chantal’s ex)

I have absolutely no idea what’s coming.

Trying to limit myself to 2 episodes a night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Cat Hassler posted:

Just finished the 4th episode of season one. Dory and her boyfriend had Gavin over (Chantal’s ex)

I have absolutely no idea what’s coming.

Trying to limit myself to 2 episodes a night

I started it as well. Just started episode 2, I'm really curious where this is going.