Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the dual shock 3 is still the worst controller imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the dual shock 3 is still the worst controller imo

spent two hours playing aquapazza today and I had incredible difficulty playing Tamaki on it, I actually ripped the skin off my finger trying to do 720s on that d-pad.

i don't know why I'm still playing aquapazza either

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
You can use hitbox if you want but there's still a fundamental difference from every other controller (it's not that it's all buttons): it has an additional piece of hardware that modifies your inputs. It's not banned anywhere AFAIK, but it lies in a gray area in that regard.

What SOCD cleaning can do is something like giving you a legit half-circle motion in a game despite physically doing a sloppy input on the actual hitbox. If you did this on a "dumb" box, you would just drop the input like you're supposed to. This is because of concessions it makes with inputs such as left+right = neutral, so left+down+right=down.

Is something like that a significant advantage in the grand scheme of things? Maybe, maybe not. I think top players just don't pick it up because it's not worth the risk for the time investment it would require.

ninja edit: not trying to argue just seemed like a couple things weren't clear. I actually find hitbox talk interesting, I'll drop it now though SORRY GUYS

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Henaki how do you Balloono properly in Breaker's Revenge? No matter how much I study that homo-genius vid I can't beat the boss with it.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

How can you program against SOCD cleaners giving frame perfect dash inputs or being able to input opposite directions a frame apart without going to neutral (which is impossible on stick/pad).

You design your game or movement mechanics with the assumption that That Is Possible, so that the difference between a normal (high level) execution and the theoretical best hitbox / robot execution is minimized. Whether that's a frame buffer thing or something similar to what harada recently discussed w/r/t making an FG more online-friendly, I don't really know, I'm not being paid to develop your favorite FG.

I don't have confidence in Capcom or other developers ever looking at the internet and figuring out that there are other controllers than Hori Sticks and dualshocks though so I can understand the continued bickering about hitboxes. Maybe if we just mailed dimps and namco and arc system works a hitbox and a dozen cd roms with identical git pulls of the ps3 on ps4 drivers with some translated docs, someone over there will figure it out!

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
are you telling fighting game developers to sanitize user input you're crazy get out of here that's impossible

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
No probably no ones surprise, literally nothing works on the PC version of MKX.

I did not use the word literally as an exaggeration, or as hyperbole.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Foodahn posted:

From what people are saying it seems that it downloaded three gigs and then didn't download the rest like it was supposed to.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

PS4 version works wonderfully. Game launched immediately at midnight with no issues

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
MKX is gonna be dead in 6 months, right?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

MKX is gonna be dead in 6 months, right?

No? MK has a strong following of dedicated scumbags

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
how long did injustice and mk9 last

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

flatluigi posted:

how long did injustice and mk9 last

Literally until the games in question collapsed. Once MK9 and Injustice were solved, most of the non-dedicated NRS players were disgusted and jumped ship. They have the bad kind of top tiers.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Foodahn posted:

I suspect nothing works because the game hasn't been released yet. You can already download something that launches the main menu, but no game content is out yet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Foodahn posted:

Why the hell did Steam decide to trial their streaming install bullshit on a new big game without loving telling anyone about it beforehand?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
NRS games don't last because their inability to make a good fighting game at a basic level leads to a ton of initial problems that require a ton of patching. This inability also leads to these patches introducing more problems that require more patching. The constant patches turn off non-NRS players until only the NRS players are left. Then 3 months later NRS stops supporting the game completely, it's still a mess, and the NRS scene falls off the face of the earth until the next NRS game where we repeat the same exact cycle.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

NRS games don't last because their inability to make a good fighting game at a basic level leads to a ton of initial problems that require a ton of patching. This inability also leads to these patches introducing more problems that require more patching. The constant patches turn off non-NRS players until only the NRS players are left. Then 3 months later NRS stops supporting the game completely, it's still a mess, and the NRS scene falls off the face of the earth until the next NRS game where we repeat the same exact cycle.

So in response to your "LOL U JUST A DRUNK FRAT BOY U NOT SMART ENUFF FOR DA HARDCORE GAMES LIKE STREET FIGHTER!" or whatever the gently caress I have this to say in return: gently caress you in your stupid loving rear end, you whiny little bitch. If you hate Mortal Kombat and the people who play it so much, get the gently caress out of the thread. You don't see us going into the SF4 thread or the MvC3 thread and calling everyone anime faggots or something. So just shut your stupid loving mouth, if you can do that even. I know it's hard cause you've usually got a million cocks in it.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

dangerdoom volvo posted:

So in response to your "LOL U JUST A DRUNK FRAT BOY U NOT SMART ENUFF FOR DA HARDCORE GAMES LIKE STREET FIGHTER!" or whatever the gently caress I have this to say in return: gently caress you in your stupid loving rear end, you whiny little bitch. If you hate Mortal Kombat and the people who play it so much, get the gently caress out of the thread. You don't see us going into the SF4 thread or the MvC3 thread and calling everyone anime faggots or something. So just shut your stupid loving mouth, if you can do that even. I know it's hard cause you've usually got a million cocks in it.

How are you this angry over such a calm post?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
post where you quoted that

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

MK9 launch memories...

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
this thread owns

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

True Mortal Kombat fan. :tipshat:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Policenaut posted:

MK9 launch memories...

God who was it that got banned from the MK and I think the FG threads for posting like that all the time

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really like MK and all, but uh :stare:.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

memories...

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I bet you searched this post out a week ago and had it sitting in a txt file on your desktop all week just waiting for the MKX launch.

Good job. :golfclap:

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

sunsweet posted:

Finger puzzles. Socal! Giantess fetish!!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

I bet you searched this post out a week ago and had it sitting in a txt file on your desktop all week just waiting for the MKX launch.

Good job. :golfclap:

I always keep that bullet loaded. And this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyo8cKGUayw

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Mortal Kombat has always been ugly and played like poo poo from day one but hey if you like fatalities and story mode then cool good for you

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

sunsweet posted:

You should ask forums superstar TheJoker138

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
My Playstation died, and I can't play Tekken until 7 comes out on the PC. :(

In the meantime, I had some Amazon GC money burning a hole in my wallet, so I got Ultra Street Fighter or whatever on Steam. I'm really only barely OK at Tekken, but is there a character that I could use to ease myself into this game? Am I just hosed until I go through the school of hard knocks? Thanks, fighting game players.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Mogomra posted:

In the meantime, I had some Amazon GC money burning a hole in my wallet, so I got Ultra Street Fighter or whatever on Steam. I'm really only barely OK at Tekken, but is there a character that I could use to ease myself into this game? Am I just hosed until I go through the school of hard knocks? Thanks, fighting game players.

Can't go wrong with Ryu or Balrog. Branch out however you like but between those two you can cut your teeth on how commands, spacing and movement work.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Mogomra posted:

Yes you are hosed and you will get owned repeatedly.

As for what character to pick, mess around with a bunch, do some trials, and just play whoever you like best. Please don't listen to any posters telling you you can't play ________ if you're new.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Brosnan posted:

You should ask forums superstar TheJoker138

loving FINGERPUZZLES

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
He later branched out into a fascinating obsession with steampunk singer-songwriter emilie autumn

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Yes you are hosed and you will get owned repeatedly.

As for what character to pick, mess around with a bunch, do some trials, and just play whoever you like best. Please don't listen to any posters telling you you can't play ________ if you're new.

Look at all these words that really just mean pick El Fuerte.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
srk has an article explaining that you can buy "easy fatalities" for real cash. you get five for a dollar. lmao

holding block and spinning 360 while mashing rp can be stressful when all you want to do is celebrate

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thats way less offense than like... goro being preorder dlc

thats like pretty much the least bad thing because you can: already do them, unlock that content anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's actually pretty genius. Make money off of babies and doesn't affect other players.

• Locked thread