Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Daily reminder that if you're a fan of the Dark Souls games, then you should buy Nioh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

It is time for the Dark Souls to end.

Literally the only DS thing I think anyone is interested in anymore is a remaster if the first one, so this is a good call.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Demon's Souls would come to PlayStation 4. I liked that game better then any of the Dark Souls titles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

Daily reminder that if you're a fan of the Dark Souls games, then you should buy Nioh.

Yep!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

And also if you aren't because Nioh is super good and different enough that you might like it even if you don't like Souls

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Sell me on it.

I remember catching some early trailers for it and thought the monsters looked cool but the UI bloat killed it for me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nioh? more like nioh way jose!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

before i was familiar with either i repeatedly confused nioh and nier

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nioh no ku Nier

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Which video game settings would you read a novel about?

I actually did read some of the Halo books and they were alright.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bad Seafood posted:

Sell me on it.

I remember catching some early trailers for it and thought the monsters looked cool but the UI bloat killed it for me.

It's like Dark Souls, but

Nioh is a more arcade-style take on the Souls game formula, with an emphasis on combos, usage of tools and skills, and a very wide variety of options in removing your enemies from this transient plane of existence in brutal but also koei-tecmo-samurai-cool ways. Instead of being an open world game it's more focused on smaller single levels that range from being winding areas with lots of loopbacks to more straightforward progression.

It is very fast-paced and challenging and has a lot of very neat considerations toward the player that some of the other games in its general genre could use (stuff like giving you a couple free healing items at each resting shrine instead of making you grind for them, letting you filter out the diablo-style loot by color rarity, etc).

It also does the Koei Tecmo thing of having a completely unnecessary and hilarious mixture of real world history and japanese mythological lore in ways that make little sense and serve no purpose, which is definitely not a bad thing because it's very entertaining. The game flip flops between being very self aware about it and not at all so.

Nioh also is almost nothing like Dark Souls. I guess the comparison comes from the style of combat where it's more focused around longer encounters with single enemies or small groups, as opposed to chopping up huge swathes of mooks at once a la Dragon Age. If I had to describe it I'd say its less like Dark Souls and more like a mixture of Shinobi, the new Ninja Gaiden series, and Dynasty Warriors, with a teeny little bit of Bloodborne stirred in for taste.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 11, 2018

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Oh poo poo they finally finished Mario Tennis Ultra Smash

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Sell me on it.

CJacobs described it well, so I'll just reinforce that it's not quite as Souls-like as it might seem at first. It's all about fast-paced, combo-focused combat and has Diablo-like random loot. Its main similarities to Souls are that you level up stats individually with your amrita (what Nioh calls experience points), and you drop your amrita on death and need to pick it up again. But amrita is also pretty explicitly experience points, because there are also coins you get separately, unlike souls/blood echoes which serve double duty.

It's has story and cutscenes and stuff, but it's pretty light. What's there is silly and entertaining, though.

Basically if you think you'd like some Ninja Gaiden-ish combat with Souls-like leveling and Diablo loot, Nioh's a good bet.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Zodiac Age is coming to PC Feb. 1st. This has been quite a day of announcements for things that I like

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Another game I'm glad I put off playing for...12 years.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Probably gonna be my GotM on account as it'll be the only February release I'll likely play

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I saw that Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is coming to Switch. That game was pretty popular on Wii U.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

MMF Freeway posted:

Zodiac Age is coming to PC Feb. 1st. This has been quite a day of announcements for things that I like

I was hoping they'd get around to it but I did not expect it to be so soon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I saw that Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is coming to Switch. That game was pretty popular on Wii U.

i don't think anything on the wii u qualified as popular

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

MMF Freeway posted:

gently caress yeah

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

really curious how Hyrule Warriors, DKC TF, and Bayonetta 2 sell on Switch this year. I remember even the numbers for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe were insane.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Which video game settings would you read a novel about?

I always wanted to see the alternate universe Metal Gear games like Ghost Babel or Acid get follow ups and I'd have been fine with them being in book form.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
TWEWY on Switch should be something that makes me backflip from joy but I'm just not a fan of the simplified gameplay of the mobile port at all

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also if you screw up the backflip you could hurt yourself

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm getting kinda excited for Chun Li Costume Fighter V Arcade Edition, even though I am terrible at it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So are they fixing the second half of the game with this new version of Dark Souls 1 or is it just an HD port?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Most likely the latter

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Comedy option it'll pointlessly rearrange everything like scholar without changing anything that matters

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Comedy option it'll pointlessly rearrange everything like scholar without changing anything that matters
If they put in a randomizer mode that at least could be fun.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

can't wait to see the uh... [reads off palm] "Treehound Waterwraith" dressed as luigi

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Rumors abound that its actually a remake in the DS3 engine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Well it's definitely not running at 60 fps or even 30 then

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MMF Freeway posted:

I dunno if that would mean combat would be updated to match DS3 but please don't do that From DS1 has the best combat in the series. Maaaaaaybe make spells cost stamina but don't do anything else

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Well it's definitely not running at 60 fps or even 30 then

get a better pc

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

MMF Freeway posted:

Eugh

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Aside from the optimization not being that great what is wrong with the DS3 engine?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Andrast posted:

get a better pc

Gross

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
That seems like an extremely far fetched rumor

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve heard they’re adding Diablo-style loot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

Today I found the greatest video game of all time. I used a urinal in a Sega arcade and there's a screen and sensor above the toilet. There's a busty cartoon weather reporter lady, and the longer you piss, the more of her clothes blow off, and then at the end you get a score for much you peed and it has leaderboards.

same i love these. but the one i saw told you the size of your dick based on the amount you pissed. i rated as Dad Dick

• Locked thread