Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
To all of the people who found this thread by googling "Tricia Helfer tops Jennifer Connelly", let me just say I understand your disappointment.

Seriously though I enjoyed Dark Matter the book, and the review of the Apple TV show that I read implied that it departed enough from the source material to be sort of its own thing by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
In hindsight, it was a little misleading.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

To all of the people who found this thread by googling "Tricia Helfer tops Jennifer Connelly", let me just say I understand your disappointment.

Seriously though I enjoyed Dark Matter the book, and the review of the Apple TV show that I read implied that it departed enough from the source material to be sort of its own thing by the end.

Isn't this what AI was intended for?

I never read the source material but the show seems pretty decent so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

Hopefully it doesn't divert too much because the book gets pretty bonkers pretty quick and it would be pretty disappointing if they don't do some of the weirder parts.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

h3r0n posted:

Isn't this what AI was intended for?

Do you want cylons? Because this is how you get cylons.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Trig Discipline posted:

Do you want cylons? Because this is how you get cylons.

https://twitter.com/Naija_PR/status/1647733898967674881

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Watched the first episode of Dark Matter and I think I'll tune out. Maybe once the season has dropped I'll watch it? The first episode seems to tell me what the rest of the season/show is about and it's not hooking me in. I'm (episode 1 spoiler, with me guessing for the rest of the season) not too interested in watching Secondary Protagonist trying to live the life he always wanted and Prime Protagonist trying to figure out how to get back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The ending to episode two of Dark Matter got me. Was wondering where it was going, but it's got a similar brutal swiftness with plot points that Good Behaviour shared.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Major spoilers for Sugar

Vulture originally tweeted both the headline and picture from this article and only removed it after a ton of backlash. I even agree with the main conclusion, but let people decide for themselves.

E: They still have the headline on their front page...

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 9, 2024

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah not really sold on Dark Matter after one episode. I don't think I've seen this lead guy in anything else and honestly I just don't care for him. The episode just seemed to lack a certain energy.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Edgerton's such a black hole of non-charisma I feel like I'm getting vertigo and falling into the screen. Somehow he's a producer. The show had better go to the apparently-promised 1000mph next-level-bonkers ASAP if they want to overcome that drag.

Sure, shoot hot-artist-Connelly and not mom-Connelly, why don't you. Great decision. I am being sarcastic, Tim Apple.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Finished the first two of Dark Matter, I'm interested enough to watch the rest of the season. I did like that the Velocity Corp goons drove EVs, so that you know they're Extra Villainous.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does episode 2 get much more interesting than episode 1?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of a prosaic answer to the mystery of Sugar.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah but I still dig this show bigtime. Anyone know what that end credits song is?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is John Sugars friend the lead of Dark Matter? Wtf is going on

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No, they just look similar. Though I wouldn't put it past Apple, they reuse their actors a lot. The airsick navigator from Masters of the Air is also John Wilkes Booth.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I ended up watching episode 2 of Dark Matter. It was better than episode 1 but yeah, not really grabbing me to be honest.

Something I've been noticing with Apple TV+ shows is how insane everyone's houses are. Like, the homes we see are just huge and expensive and filled with stuff. Everything is wide open and filled to the brim with decorations, art, fancy everything. There's just so much stuff. It feels more like a super fancy hotel lobby rather than a home that someone actually lives in.

Best way I can describe it is that the Apple TV production crew models every home set based off of one of Tim Apple's vacation homes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Is John Sugars friend the lead of Dark Matter? Wtf is going on

I don't know anything about the show but hey just a general gripe. Seriously what the gently caress is it with writers ALWAYS naming the main guy John. Is there some law? Is it like 555- phone numbers?? "People in movies or TV are always just named John. Don't like it, go to Russia"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I don't know anything about the show but hey just a general gripe. Seriously what the gently caress is it with writers ALWAYS naming the main guy John. Is there some law? Is it like 555- phone numbers?? "People in movies or TV are always just named John. Don't like it, go to Russia"

Now I'm just picturing some Russian complaining that every main character is called Ivan.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Now I'm just picturing some Russian complaining that every main character is called Ivan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tGH2QYJaRU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I ended up watching episode 2 of Dark Matter. It was better than episode 1 but yeah, not really grabbing me to be honest.

Something I've been noticing with Apple TV+ shows is how insane everyone's houses are. Like, the homes we see are just huge and expensive and filled with stuff. Everything is wide open and filled to the brim with decorations, art, fancy everything. There's just so much stuff. It feels more like a super fancy hotel lobby rather than a home that someone actually lives in.

Best way I can describe it is that the Apple TV production crew models every home set based off of one of Tim Apple's vacation homes.

It’s a trend with all modern TV productions aimed at international audiences (Americans), even BBC stuff.

Insane aspirational level homes, that in most cases don’t fit at all with the characters, area they’re in or anything else.

For anything set in London, the main characters family will be shown with a full on townhouse with a £500k kitchen opening out into the garden.

A single mother, applying for a part time job, is living in a spacious, immaculately decorated (presumably council) flat with a large balcony, in actual London.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Data Graham posted:

You're in luck, the main character in Dark Matter is named Jason!...Dressen. Yeah, I don't know why either.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Dark Matter: I'm getting targeted ads via Instagram to join the "velocity vaccine study" :psyduck:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Concanstellatiocellened.

Good, I'd rather see Noomi Rapace in something better.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

If that ending actually had intent of continuing with a second season, then they should've trimmed down season 1's story and got whatever nonsense season 2 would be into the end of season 1. I have a hard time believing that there was a season 2 actually planned out

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What a waste of time that show was.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Scrotum Modem posted:

If that ending actually had intent of continuing with a second season, then they should've trimmed down season 1's story and got whatever nonsense season 2 would be into the end of season 1. I have a hard time believing that there was a season 2 actually planned out

I don't think the creator actually had a plan for the show so much as just a bunch of random ideas and moments that he had no idea how to fit together

see for example this quote from him about the finale:
Originally, it was very trippy, and we were going up to the ISS and following a dog walking around in zero gravity. I might still use this, but you saw angels reflected in her eyes and the dog was like her. People said, “What the hell is that about?,” so I had to come up with another ending, which had a bit more to do with the story. And then, it just made sense to see Jo in all her glory turning around. It shocked me and surprised me when I wrote it, but it seemed to be quite a nice way to end the [season].

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Dark Matter and Constellation have the near identical plot but on the ground instead of in space, involving a dude instead of a lady. It’s very weird. My daughter is like, “Apple TV is multiple reality multiple reality aliens aliens.. and then there’s Ted Lasso.”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone who says "it shocked me and surprised me when I wrote it" should not be allowed to write TV shows. He sounds like an idiot who is just mashing the keyboard and is amazed by what comes out.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I like the part where he wrote the original version of the finale and then everyone said "what the gently caress is this poo poo supposed to mean?" and he had no idea

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

What a waste of time that show was.

This is how I feel. There was so much good in it but also so much bad.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Dark Matter and Constellation have the near identical plot but on the ground instead of in space, involving a dude instead of a lady. It’s very weird. My daughter is like, “Apple TV is multiple reality multiple reality aliens aliens.. and then there’s Ted Lasso.”

I think the same thing is happening at netflix

lockwood & co:
a teenage girl moves into an old house with two young boys and they investigate ghosts because only children can see them

locke & key:
a teenage girl and two young boys move into an old house and they investigate ghosts because only children can see them

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Boris Galerkin posted:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as an ‘Apple Tv production crew’. The shows are actually produced by other entities and Apple either provides the funding or buys the show from someone else. They don’t directly employ the crews necessarily. This is pretty much the way the other streaming services work as far as I know.

Now, could they have stipulated that the houses in the shows they produce look a certain way? Sure, but I’d be surprised if that was the case.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That's correct, but I thought one of the things about getting a show on Apple TV is that Apple is hard to work with and inserts themselves into the process more than other platforms? At least that's what I remember reading about when Apple TV first launched.

I was kinda (half) joking that the production studio would show a screener that has a normal average house interior design to Tim Apple and he'd say "Huh, why does the main character's house look like that? I've never been in a house that looks like that. You're out of touch, you should come over to my house to see what houses really look like."

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dark Matter is surprisingly bad so far. It feels like it's less interesting and has worse pacing than Constellation, which is impressive.

I guess that it doesn't help that it spends two episodes setting up a premise that is already clear if you've read a one line description of the show and the acting doesn't seem good enough to make that interesting.

It just makes me want to watch Counterpart again.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 12, 2024

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mystes posted:

such a good show, and it didn't go for 4-5 seasons and ruin everything, it wrapped everything up in 2
now I see the creator also created the new shogun which is also a treat

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

Dark Matter is surprisingly bad so far. It feels like it's less interesting and has worse pacing than Constellation, which is impressive.

I guess that it doesn't help that it spends two episodes setting up a premise that is already clear if you've read a one line description of the show and the acting doesn't seem good enough to make that interesting.

It took two episodes for the main characters to realize that there is another reality, and that was figuring it out on their own. It took like six episodes for Jo to figure it out, and that's with half the characters screaming "there's another reality" at her while she flip flops on whether she wants to accept it or not.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah that was Constellarion’s biggest mistake. Jo and a few others bumbling around in the dark for over half the season while the viewers clearly know what happened from episode 1. It’s really bad writing. Really bad. I was glad to see constellation get it out of the way as soon as possible. It lets the show sit back and settle in on figuring out resolution instead of drawing out some “oohhh multiple reality mystery”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ironic typo.

The most annoying thing about Constellation is that these were supposed to be highly capable professionals.