Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

XBL != Origin.

You're boned. Sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Can't transfer stuff (I wish), but if you're playing on PC you could end up in a lobby with a dude that will end up giving you tons of credits or something and still have to endure the RNG.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Just trade origin accounts with Smol or Ligur. You get everything, they get to start over! Win win

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Well I figured as much. A man can dream, right? :smith:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My complete inability to get the Geth Trooper to drop is driving me insane. It's the last character that needs to drop that I really want.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Khizan posted:

My complete inability to get the Geth Trooper to drop is driving me insane. It's the last character that needs to drop that I really want.

Amass a good number (300k-400k) of credits, uninstall all DLC except for Retaliation, then start buying Specter Packs. That lessens your pool of Rares to pull from.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Khizan posted:

I know your pain. The same thing happened to me for Palidan and QME. In fact, I didn't get the QME until I switched from Reserves to Arsenal Packs and maxed out all my rare weapons. The RNG would rather an Arsenal Pack give me the last character card than any upgrades for UR weapons :psyduck:

That said QME is great. 150k points first time out. I named him Splode :woop:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Fun times with pubbies: Reaper Platinum with a ludicrously aggressive Batgard whose Origin name was BansheeShagger :laugh:

drat if that guy wasn't effective, too, I was a super aggressive Reegar AIU and that guy still outscored me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I love it when I play games with people who are really, really good. It's refreshing.

had one earlier with a geth trooper (I was also playing GT) and he tripled my score because this guy knew exactly how to push forward and how to dodge, like had that poo poo down perfectly. We did make a pretty good team with dual Acolytes and dual flamers though yeah he did most of the work :v:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Psion posted:

had one earlier with a geth trooper (I was also playing GT) and he tripled my score because this guy knew exactly how to push forward and how to dodge, like had that poo poo down perfectly. We did make a pretty good team with dual Acolytes and dual flamers though yeah he did most of the work :v:
A team of four Troopers was one of the funnest games I ever played. Everything melted.

Unlike most classes, the brokenness of the trooper increases the more of them you add.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

sudonim posted:

A team of four Troopers was one of the funnest games I ever played. Everything melted.

Unlike most classes, the brokenness of the trooper increases the more of them you add.
I like the "3 Geth Troopers and one Turian Ghost with Area Overload" option more for game-breaking hilarity. That way everything melts OR explodes.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Stroop There It Is posted:

I like the "3 Geth Troopers and one Turian Ghost with Area Overload" option more for game-breaking hilarity. That way everything melts OR explodes.

Meltsplode seems like a word we should use more.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I miss the days when we'd get people together and actually co-ordinate the classes we played :(

e: drat you item shop give me my Spitfire X so that I may be released from this treadmill! It's the last weapon card I need

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Our regular goon group on the 360 usually coordinates for tech or biotic explosions. When we're on the ball, it's a drum roll of biotic explosions.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

tribbledirigible posted:

Our regular goon group on the 360 usually coordinates for tech or biotic explosions. When we're on the ball, it's a drum roll of biotic explosions.
Played with 1 friend and 2 pubs the other night, we were all biotics and the pubs quickly discovered if we all ran around in a mob everything exploded. 'Twas fun. Sometimes they learn.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Played with 1 friend and 2 pubs the other night, we were all biotics and the pubs quickly discovered if we all ran around in a mob everything exploded. 'Twas fun. Sometimes they learn.

When pubbies go from spending most of a round bleeding out to hopping on board the murder train (and outscoring you as you detonate everything they prime)- these moments warm the coldest cockles of my heart.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'm around if anyone wants to do a geth trooperfest.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

heavy drinking and glass cannon classes don't mix very well. So many deaths.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I had to solo a round 9 as a level 6 TSol (with almost all my points in Marksman, naturally) in a Glacier/Reapers/Gold match the other night since all 3 level 20 pubbies died at the beginning of the round. This probably would have been completely fine--I had my Hurricane--if I hadn't been :420:'d to the moon... I somehow managed to do it after like 10 minutes, even with my significantly impaired reaction time and working memory. Kiting in a tiny map is hard when you don't remember what's still alive or where it is! :saddowns:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Psion posted:

I love it when I play games with people who are really, really good. It's refreshing.

Funny. I had an acolyte + flamer game with someone else with the same loadout earlier today.

No, I wasn't the triple scorer, he kept triple scoring me as well, but we had a jolly fun time making the enemies, all the enemies, disappear, under a sound probably best described by someone like Stephen Pressfield when imagining Spartan phalanxes clashing with their foes and churning their feet to push the shielded ranks back amidst the thrust of eight footers.

edit: and yeah I play this a few maps a week anymore but gently caress this poo poo always playing with pubbies, they are pretty decent most of the time these days but the one thing lacking is communication, like saying "y0, if ure gonna revive me please do, but u will also find a loving turret placed on top of my body".

EVERYONE HAS MICS. USE THEM DAHHH. WHY CAN'T THEY SAY ANYTHING ELSE BUT *BZZZT*, *scratch - oh wai - scratch* OR possibly "THANKS" (but only when you revive them, not after you rocket your way through wave 10 as the last man standing).

Ligur fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 20, 2014

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

edit: and yeah I play this a few maps a week anymore but gently caress this poo poo always playing with pubbies, they are pretty decent most of the time these days but the one thing lacking is communication, like saying "y0, if ure gonna revive me please do, but u will also find a loving turret placed on top of my body".

I've gotten in the habit of flicking my eyes down at the killfeed anytime someone goes down against Cerberus. Pretty handy to know if they were killed by a Turret/Phantom, or just a Centurion that snuck up on them when they were trying to recover from a bad encounter.

It's weird, the other factions don't really have things like that where the difference between meeting them prepared and unprepared is such a huge gulf. Well, maybe a teleporting Banshee, but you have time to react to that more often than not.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Felinoid posted:

I've gotten in the habit of flicking my eyes down at the killfeed anytime someone goes down against Cerberus. Pretty handy to know if they were killed by a Turret/Phantom, or just a Centurion that snuck up on them when they were trying to recover from a bad encounter.

It's weird, the other factions don't really have things like that where the difference between meeting them prepared and unprepared is such a huge gulf. Well, maybe a teleporting Banshee, but you have time to react to that more often than not.

Killed by dragoon? Gotta go fast or they get stomped. Same with pyro. Geth prime? Awwwww poo poo watch out for stunlocks.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Bought ME3 on sale the other week and recently started hitting the multiplayer. Here is what I have so far

Just been rolling bronze matches. I was buying Prem. Spectre packs every so often but have started switching to Vets for a bit. Should I keep buying those and stay on Bronze for a bit longer or start hitting Silver at least?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

MisterFuzzles posted:

Bought ME3 on sale the other week and recently started hitting the multiplayer. Here is what I have so far

Just been rolling bronze matches. I was buying Prem. Spectre packs every so often but have started switching to Vets for a bit. Should I keep buying those and stay on Bronze for a bit longer or start hitting Silver at least?

You should be buying recruit packs to get your common weapons up to X first. It won't take long, all of them but the Shuriken are actually pretty decent, and when you're buying the bigger packs you don't want a weapon upgrade you could've spent 5K on replacing a level 3 consumable card.

As for bronze versus silver, absolutely dip your toe into silver if you think you're ready. It's a bit of a leap between bronze and silver, but you're only going to learn the most basic of basics playing on bronze. Silver will start teaching you the actual game.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Definitely jump into Silver. Too much time in Bronze can teach you some really bad habits just by letting you get away with stuff that will get you killed in higher difficulties.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MisterFuzzles posted:

added you on Origin. If you see me on line gimme a shout and I'll drag you through Gold :getin:

(also cleaned out my friends list, if you still play and I deleted you please re-add me)

You got a pretty decent draw with your first few cards. Alliance Infiltration Unit is probably the most powerful class in the game at this point, and the Wraith is one of the best shotguns that isn't outright broken-powerful (Reegar Carbine), so that's a very good loadout to roll with. You don't have any sort of shotgun blades unfortunately but do slap one on once you get one, because they increase your melee power tremendously, potentially up to 50%. Run up to things, cloak, shoot, Snap Freeze, and possibly heavy melee, then run away. Eat a regen matrix if your shields pop. Simple and very effective, once you're up to lv20 and a bit more familiar with game mechanics you can easily hold your own in Gold like this.

Alternatively, spec your Krogan Sentinel into full melee and go around punching everything in the face :black101: His tech armor gives bonuses to his melee damage if you choose that open when speccing out. Again, kinda relies on a shotgun blade for maximum effect but you can make it work. Roll with your Wraith there too.

You also have Grenade Capacity, Geth Scanner, and Medigel Transmitter, which are basically the only gears worth using, even though they're all level 1. Grenade Capacity on the two classes I mentioned is probably the way to go, for anything that doesn't use nades use the Geth Scanner, because being able to wallhack is a huge deal, even if it doesn't go very far at its current level.

As far as strategy is concerned, basically just keep looking behind you at all times, stick with the majority of your team, and run the gently caress away if you get surrounded. Try to resist the urge to rage-gel until you have a deep stockpile of medigels and you've maxed your capacity, unfortunately you're just going to have to let yourself get stomped out on non-objective waves a lot of the time (always medigel on objective waves though, getting stomped out on those is a dick move because soloing a Capture 4 objective is incredibly hard even for an experienced solo player)

Have fun and good luck! :)

e: oh yeah, looks like you specced your AIU to have Duration Cloak. Don't use Duration Cloak on anything other than the N7 Shadow. Cloak isn't really about hiding, it's about getting a massive damage boost to the attack you execute while cloaked. So most people actually cloak and then immediately attack, they don't run around cloaked unless they're running away from something. Something that might not be obvious is that if you break cloak immediately then your cooldown doesn't really depend on your weapon weight, and if you use a power while cloaked then it's the cloak cooldown that takes effect, not that power's cooldown. Upshot of that is that weight is completely irrelevant for infiltrators (again not counting the Shadow but she's more of a weird vampire Vanguard)

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 21, 2014

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

You don't have any sort of shotgun blades unfortunately but do slap one on once you get one, because they increase your melee power tremendously, potentially up to 50%.

Alternatively, spec your Krogan Sentinel into full melee and go around punching everything in the face :black101: His tech armor gives bonuses to his melee damage if you choose that open when speccing out. Again, kinda relies on a shotgun blade for maximum effect but you can make it work. Roll with your Wraith there too.

Melee damage is honestly kind of bad at killing things and is best used as a means of staggering enemies to set up easy kills. With that in mind, smart chokes and piercing mods should be prioritized over blades.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Esser-Z posted:

Sometime since I last played him, I got way better at the N7 Slayer. I'm sure part of it is the ABH rule, but I'm consistently topscoring as him. Phase Disruptor is just so good.

Helps that I know when it's safe to charge bosses, now. BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM WHOOSH BAMF AWAY BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. Fun rhythm. Slaughters stuff good.

That jerk El Mido made me love playing with a slayer. You see, I enjoy the hell out of a volus, and with Mido phase blasting everything, ALL the time as I shield boosted, it was hilarious. So now, any time I can, I play with a slayer and follow them around like a fat suited dog rolling around like an idiot and shield boosting. Also, stasis. Explosions everywhere after a charge.

I play as jirokage on origin if you need a buddy for boosting.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I finally picked this up and this multiplayer is fantastic. I don't know if I'll be able to play the single player with the multiplayer button right there leading to so much more fun.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

FadedReality posted:

I finally picked this up and this multiplayer is fantastic. I don't know if I'll be able to play the single player with the multiplayer button right there leading to so much more fun.

It's probably been said a thousand times already but the multiplayer makes single player look ridiculously easy in comparison. At least, once you've gotten yourself up to playing Gold regularly. Probably even Silver, to be honest.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Jiro Kage posted:

That jerk El Mido made me love playing with a slayer. You see, I enjoy the hell out of a volus, and with Mido phase blasting everything, ALL the time as I shield boosted, it was hilarious. So now, any time I can, I play with a slayer and follow them around like a fat suited dog rolling around like an idiot and shield boosting. Also, stasis. Explosions everywhere after a charge.

I play as jirokage on origin if you need a buddy for boosting.

Volus can be good at killing things too if you set them up right and get used to being made out of wet tissue. Being able to move at full walking speed while firing a Typhoon is a serious asset.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

El Mido posted:

Volus can be good at killing things too if you set them up right and get used to being made out of wet tissue. Being able to move at full walking speed while firing a Typhoon is a serious asset.

I just didn't like the recharge reduction because it takes away seriously from my BOOSTING CAPABILITY.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
So I was walking the streets of London headshotting all the Collectors with a few rounds with an Asari Huntress, if they didn't die from Dark Channel in 3 seconds instead, and thought I have either finally invented the real life bullet time (just inside a computer game), since usually that combination of map and foe loving sucks, or someone hacked the game a little, until I noticed... I'm playing Bronze!?

The original host apparently changed the game to Bronze seconds before he vanished, leaving me as the host, but I didn't notice and clicked "ready" so on we went. Fun trick indeed. I'd imagine you'd rather fool people into playing Plat instead but HAH! He was even more clever. Insignificant credits and pretty decent gear lost for no good use.

On another note, nothing cures a slightly depressive hangover better than goose stepping down the stairs of Glacier with a Turian, Barrage Upgrade, Geth Scanner, level III Stabilization Module and a Hurricane full of AP IV ammo (not Bronze). THE SLAUGHTER.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Thanks for the tips. Been playing nothing but silver now after respecing the AIU and its been a blast as long as I remember to Cloak/Shotgun/Snap Freeze in quick succession to avoid a longer cooldown. Pretty nice getting like 6-7 recruit packs to flesh things out then waiting for 1 Prem Spectre.

I'll probably stick with the AIU for some time since it feels realllly effective with what weapons I have until I get more equipment/weapons.

Speaking of, after I basically max out most of my common items should I skip Vet/Spec packs and jump right back up to PSP/Arsenal/Reserves?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

MisterFuzzles posted:

Speaking of, after I basically max out most of my common items should I skip Vet/Spec packs and jump right back up to PSP/Arsenal/Reserves?

After I finally got a hang of it, I just bought veteran packs until all my uncommons were maxed out, and then went Arsenal forever.

These days since I have all the guns and characters (not all my ultra-rares are X yet though but who cares) I only buy Jumbo Equipment Packs until I have 255 of every consumable and then Arsenal Pack the rest of my credits to avoid useless character cards. You might not get any UR items, at least not any more with the other packs, but will get a ton more of level IV gear that way.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
So I only need the Spitefire and Lancer, but for some reason the last 20 or so packs that I've bought are nothing but gold item drops. It doesn't matter what pack I buy, it's never any rare or ultra rare stuff. It feels like the game is treating me like I've already gotten everything when I don't (don't have all my ultra rare guns at X either). I've checked to see if my DLC is all there and it is (as I'm still able to play on all the maps and whatever) but I can't figure out what the gently caress is going on. Someone send help (or just the Lancer, it's the only gun I've ever wanted :qq:).

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

MisterFuzzles posted:

Well, the "smart" way to do it would be to buy Veteran packs until you max out most of your uncommons, but that's a long while of not getting any golden goodies. Mix it up between Veteran and PSPs as you feel like it. If you feel you're not getting things quick enough, rattle off some Veteran packs; if you feel you're not getting anything special, save up for a PSP. Alternate as necessary to keep happy with your progress. If you start running low on consumables, replace PSPs with regular Spectre Packs until you get to a comfortable level.

Someguy posted:

So I only need the Spitefire and Lancer, but for some reason the last 20 or so packs that I've bought are nothing but gold item drops. It doesn't matter what pack I buy, it's never any rare or ultra rare stuff. It feels like the game is treating me like I've already gotten everything when I don't (don't have all my ultra rare guns at X either). I've checked to see if my DLC is all there and it is (as I'm still able to play on all the maps and whatever) but I can't figure out what the gently caress is going on. Someone send help (or just the Lancer, it's the only gun I've ever wanted :qq:).

The RNG has streaks. You've been mildly unlucky, but there is nothing wrong. Two weeks from now you'll probably receive 3 Lancer cards in a row and wonder what's wrong then too.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
There was a thing at some point last year when everyone stopped getting any Ultra Rare drops and they became seriously Ultra Rare.

I got most of my gunz during a 2 month span in the 2013 and then it just dried out. Basically the UR guns I got in the 2013 summer or autumn, like, a year ago, are still at the same level they were then. Say my Talon and Harrier are level III and there's nothing I can do about it, no matter how many hundreds or thousands of Arsenal Packs I buy :\

edit: yeah it might be just me and RNG, but I stopped getting UR stuff last September, just checked. I get a very rare drop now and then but it's not even close to the 10% or so rate it used to be before that. Whatever, I like the lvl IV Cyclonic Mods and AP ammo too.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 22, 2014

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
If it makes you feel better I have a Particle Rifle X but a Hurricane I. Give me my drat Hurricane upgrades Bioware :negative:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Royal Scion your name makes me angry and afraid

• Locked thread