Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

lol Appenzell. that's a bit like moving to mississippi and being surprised everyone is extremely racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

lol no, 150k+ would be management level, people older than 50, or a large super boring company trying to keep their employees from leaving.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

my junior scientists are on 150k basic salary

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

my junior scientists are on 150k basic salary

hire me

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i mean, none of my 30-something friends in similar positions to me make anywhere near "150k+". there's one guy i know who makes 145 but he works for a really boring company in a really boring position (see my previous message)

all of my friends make a little bit less than me, and i'm at less than 130k base pay.

recruiters often call me up and offer around 130, which leads me to believe this is the market rate for guys like me.

i "only" have a bachelors degree, that might make a difference.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

OK, and I am guessing your work is more yospos-relevant than mine. and as I say I don't know how senior a "senior engineer" is.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

engineering masters are weird in that they tend to be more like academics refreshers that don’t actually enable you to do your job better than like 6 months of well- directed practice but they ARE an important checkbox for HR so despite their actual worthlessness they’re an important marketing tool

get the cheapest easiest fastest masters you can find and make someone else pay for it. applies less if you can actually make it into a namedrop-level program but even those can be pretty farcical

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Not a Children posted:

engineering masters are weird in that they tend to be more like academics refreshers that don’t actually enable you to do your job better than like 6 months of well- directed practice but they ARE an important checkbox for HR so despite their actual worthlessness they’re an important marketing tool

get the cheapest easiest fastest masters you can find and make someone else pay for it. applies less if you can actually make it into a namedrop-level program but even those can be pretty farcical

I would much rather hire someone with experience than degrees. if you have more than one masters, or more than two bachelors, good chance you're a navel-gazing waste of space (there are exceptions and that is why interviews exist)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jabor posted:

50k USD equivalent for a senior position, lol. that's not a haircut that's losing your whole goddamn head.

if you don't get the very tippy top of that range then you're getting fleeced, yeah. idk what the actual market is like in nz though.

LMAO that's really dogshit, I complain about UK non-london wages but even here you can get like ~65k USD as a senior.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

shitface posted:

I got $250k to move to Sydney but I think rent at least is more reasonable (less unreasonable) in NZ. Still, no, absolutely no. don’t do that

I need to update my resume

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I will take the boring job at the boring company making big bux and then spend my afternoons and weekends getting headbutted off the side of a mountain by a goat every single time, and anyone who isn’t cool with that proposal probably has American Labourer Syndrome and, unironically and in the most polite way possible, needs to find a hobby that is unrelated to work

imo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what are you doing this weekend? oh I’m going hiking/skiing in the alps, which happen to be in my back yard, and then I am going to take a train ride to Berlin to go clubbing and be back by Sunday afternoon

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
120k is not big bux in figgieland. nor is 250k aud (160k usd). they are respectable normal figs, or a fair tad below normal this decade

i agree with your statements if and only if you can actually get big bux and actual good working conditions. 50k usd aint it chief

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 4, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I will take the boring job at the boring company making big bux and then spend my afternoons and weekends getting headbutted off the side of a mountain by a goat every single time, and anyone who isn’t cool with that proposal probably has American Labourer Syndrome and, unironically and in the most polite way possible, needs to find a hobby that is unrelated to work

imo

hell yeah f32 gets it

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

imo

what if my hobby is driving a new cadillac elr, op?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

120k is not big bux in figgieland. nor is 250k aud (160k usd). they are respectable normal figs, or a fair tad below normal this decade

i agree with your statements if and only if you can actually get big bux and actual good working conditions. 50k usd aint it chief

yeah, that’s largely why I’ve stayed in Detroit. I have a mostly boring but frequently interesting job with a TC of around 165k, and the Detroit COL is cheap as hell lol

I would take a pay cut to have the alps in my back yard since I think the Swiss col is equivalent or maybe slightly more than here, but tbh idk if they have a private insurance scheme or what since the Swiss do their own thing. Sydney would need a raise for a move since it’s dollarydoos and the col is nuts due to housing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we just got tol 150k usd is hard in switzerland, and the col there is very comparable to manhattan so there you go

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

reading is for yellow bellies

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah i’m pleased as punch with my situation. making dece figgieland figs in pittsburgh is basically a win condition in my book*

*my company may be bankrupt at the end of the year but hey

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

levels apparently has some stats https://www.levels.fyi/t/software-engineer/locations/switzerland

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what are you doing this weekend? oh I’m going hiking/skiing in the alps, which happen to be in my back yard, and then I am going to take a train ride to Berlin to go clubbing and be back by Sunday afternoon

i appreciate the feeling, but allow me to lol at the bolded part: zurich to berlin takes over 8 hours by train (and that's without going into the notoriously bad reputation of deutsche bahn about delays)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, try to avoid weebin about any place you havent lived in

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier of the Neil Bush Torch
idk what the name for BC weaboos is but im one, I would rather live in British Columbia than anywhere else on earf

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

rotor posted:

idk what the name for BC weaboos is but im one, I would rather live in British Columbia than anywhere else on earf

wehaboot

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

rotor posted:

i mean where though. vancouver and anything close by has the "no jobs and housing crisis" problem. if you go to kelowna or poo poo you will rapidly discover that canada has trump enthusiasts

EDIT: new game idea: the penticton or florida game. you see a video of a sunburned MAGA whale on a powerboat making a racist rant and you have to decide if it's from florida or penticton

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 4, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

big shtick energy posted:

i mean where though. vancouver and anything close by has the "no jobs and housing crisis" problem. if you go to kelowna or poo poo you will rapidly discover that canada has trump enthusiasts

EDIT: new game idea: the penticton or florida game. you see a video of a sunburned MAGA whale on a powerboat making a racist rant and you have to decide if it's from florida or penticton

i just want to live there dude i didnt want a bunch of homework ok

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

in my dream i have a nice house in vancouver and a lil getaway cabin on gabriola

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bourricot posted:

i appreciate the feeling, but allow me to lol at the bolded part: zurich to berlin takes over 8 hours by train (and that's without going into the notoriously bad reputation of deutsche bahn about delays)

yeah for some reason I was thinking Switzerland was where Poland actually is :shobon:

München it is!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
see? weebery is a problem, just like anime

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

rotor posted:

in my dream i have a nice house in vancouver and a lil getaway cabin on gabriola

that'll be $4 million for the house and $1 million for the cabin. also bring water to the cabin because all the gulf islands are running out.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

big shtick energy posted:

that'll be $4 million for the house and $1 million for the cabin. also bring water to the cabin because all the gulf islands are running out.

ok whatever, captain bringdown

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
if i had a nickel for every time someone shat on my luxurious dreams id have like forty five cents. i don't even dream anymore.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not a Children posted:

The floor is set pretty low for master's programs but the ceiling is not. If you're interviewing, pay attention to the candidates rather than their credentials. If you're looking at programs, think about what you actually want and go for that.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

is 85-125k NZD an acceptable range for a senior ios eng position? i want to gtfo of america so will to take the haircut but not willing to get fleeced compared to locals.

Absolutely not, senior eng roles should be 140k minimum in my experience.

NZ is great in a lot of ways, but you will never earn a lot of money here unless you get higher into management. We are a low wage economy with a very high cost of living and completely unaffordable housing and the likely next government will be making it worse for anyone who doesn't already own their own home.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah for some reason I was thinking Switzerland was where Poland actually is :shobon:

München it is!

switzerland is known for having german, french and italian as official languages. because it is right in the middle of germany, france and italy.

i'm not an expert on clubbing scenes, but i feel munich may be too bavarian to have a good one. we have a few german yosposters, they're certainly more knowledgeable than me on that

best of luck in your helvetian job search!
other countries with high salaries (by european standards) are luxemburg and norway

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

are there tech jobs in Norway unrelated to the oil industry tho?

cuz I’m fluent in Norwegian and wouldn’t mind moving back lol. plus I would have to convince my American wife to relocate which even on paper is going to be A Tough Sell

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

gently caress i'm never going to escape.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

shitface posted:

navel-gazing waste of space

are you saying this shouldn't be the one and only bullet point on my resume???

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

are there tech jobs in Norway unrelated to the oil industry tho?

cuz I’m fluent in Norwegian and wouldn’t mind moving back lol. plus I would have to convince my American wife to relocate which even on paper is going to be A Tough Sell

there are definitely jobs like that in norway, consultancies and software shops that do state contracts exist there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

rotor posted:

[californian takes a dump]

[dude stuck in the septic tank] wow, californians are just RUINING this place for the rest of us

as a texan, this metaphor is accurate.