Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Here's a tip: cancel the simpsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BalloonFish posted:

The show lost the ability to do things that were both clear parodies but were also quality work in themselves ages ago.

I think it's something about getting caught-up in being self-congratulatory about doing something with just a little ambition. They don't stuff it full of jokes like they used to, so there's not very much there after you get past the surface level of oh hey they're doing a song. And you're more likely to get past the surface level because they drag out the song all the way rather than keep it short. The monorail song was about a minute, that song's a minute and a half.

Another thing to compare would be the Poorhouse Rock episode (ironically no rock involved). I think it's a lot better than a jankass europop about how great it would be to not have to tip*, but it still drags on for a while, and a lot of parts are just about the novelty of the song and the meta-joke about a dumb cartoon sitcom trying to have trenchant sociopolitical commentary. Also the novelty of Lisa and Clinton Secretary of Labor Robert Reich rapping (and I guess more broadly I'm extra tired of the novelty of raps by characters who do not fit the image of rap, I get it, everyone can do spoken verse).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MjTWtS5TAI
Wait it's not finished
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TqYwRIG2RM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4TWccI4QA

As opposed to O Streetcar fitting 5 song snippets within 4 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVmBtNaDXQg

*I sympathize with the logic, but I think it's also an injustice that sales tax isn't included on the sticker price of products, and for some reason nobody ever wants to get on a high horse about that

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was just appreciating the "chimpan-A to chimpan-Z" lyric yesterday. I would be so proud.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I'm in EU and I always tip. gently caress you, The Simpsons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BalloonFish posted:

Marge's comically raspy and rough singing voice here sounds better than her normal voice now.

The whole Streetcar! sequence is so good. The show lost the ability to do things that were both clear parodies but were also quality work in themselves ages ago.

I also love how Springfield theatre uses an entire rotating two-sided set just so it can appear as the Superdome at the start.

Like how the perennially cash-strapped Springfield Elementary had a giant animatronic Mount Rushmore to lower in for the Presidents Day show.

I've said that there's a running gag in the Simpsons that the most blatantly ridiculous concepts for performances and projects are the only ones in Springfield that are wild successes; see also the Planet of the Apes musical. Anything sensible inevitably ends in disaster.

Also funny thing is that Streetcar was made a musical in the show because Fox's lawyers told the writers that they wouldn't be able to show the play being performed in the episode without licensing the IP owners- but they could write songs based on the play as fair use.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Riptor posted:

hey remember that parody of eurodance music that was popular on twitter for like 17 hours last summer, and then the guy went up his own rear end with it

guess who's in spriiiiiingfiiieeeeeeld?!?!

https://x.com/TheSimpsons/status/1789816702869348687

I turned this on and then had to walk away because I had something on the stove to tend to. I'm not sure how far into it played until I could get back here and turn it off but we're enemies now.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

hey remember that parody of eurodance music that was popular on twitter for like 17 hours last summer, and then the guy went up his own rear end with it

guess who's in spriiiiiingfiiieeeeeeld?!?!

https://x.com/TheSimpsons/status/1789816702869348687

Oh great, a piece of my brain died

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Profanity posted:

Oh great, a piece of my brain died

Good news, that will make the next Simpsons musical number easier to watch!

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Good news, that will make the next Simpsons musical number easier to watch!

Join us, dr_rat. It's bliiissssss

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I watched some new American Dad recently and it was pretty funny, made me realise its now by far the most consistent surviving animated series which is wild. 20 Seasons, I've not watched it all but it it seems to stay the same level of funny, plots even if they are wacky stay grounded and true to the characters, and politically pretty cool compared to The Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park which all have some episodes that are just completely unwatchable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
American Dad is probably helped by that its premise was pretty out there in the first place, what with the alien, talking goldfish and CIA shenanigans, and they pretty quickly realised that and the characters all being their own various kinds of unhinged was basically an excuse to do whatever the gently caress they want.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Profanity posted:

Join us, dr_rat. It's bliiissssss

Sorry, I can only take medical advice in the form of musical lyrics.

It's just what they teach you at rat med school. :shrug:

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

American Dad is probably helped by that its premise was pretty out there in the first place, what with the alien, talking goldfish and CIA shenanigans, and they pretty quickly realised that and the characters all being their own various kinds of unhinged was basically an excuse to do whatever the gently caress they want.

Nothing helped American Dad more than deciding to ditch their running commentary on Dubya Bush era republicanism early on in the series and just getting weird with it.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I was losing my mind at the end of a 10 hour flight and I watched 2 episodes of season 34 Simpsons on the in-flight entertainment as background noise while playing a game on my phone. Let me tell you, it sure was bad.

The season premier was Homer starting a conspiracy theory club with Drederick Tatum, Superintendent Chalmers, Ms. Hoover and Gil. It started because he couldn't see a tortoise at the zoo. I don't remember what the second one was about, but it was also very terrible. Marge is the most obvious, but pretty much no one can do the voices anymore.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I watched part of the season finale and some lines Marge sounded like her classic self and others she sounded like you know. Also it was about Bart carrying around a human brain in a jar and it was odd.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Serious question, do you think the classic-sounding Marge could be AI?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

I don't know if the cast has the fight in them that they once had, but it's still hard to imagine them not making a huge stink if Fox tried that

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am just seriously struggling with the idea Kavner has the capacity for classic Marge.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Das Boo posted:

I didn’t think of that but probably, yes. It’s just weird how different she sounded only a few scenes apart.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I tried to watch a recent episode of The Simpsons but Kavner's voice hurt to listen to. She sounds like she's suffering to get the voice out.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know if the cast has the fight in them that they once had, but it's still hard to imagine them not making a huge stink if Fox tried that
Julie Kavner would have to give permission per the new SAG-AFTRA contract.

edit: That contract was ratified in March, so maybe not then but definitely now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

Julie Kavner would have to give permission per the new SAG-AFTRA contract.

edit: That contract was ratified in March, so maybe not then but definitely now

Yeah, I suppose it's not so outlandish to think they might drop in some AI considering how obvious it is that this sucks rear end for Kavner. At some point the rest of the cast might just say "Yes, please do whatever you can to spare her"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Once all the main cast are dead The Simpsons will continue for 40 more years with AI voices, AI scripts, and AI animation and probably still not be that much worse than it is now.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The Kyle Gordon thing is weird, because he's not bad as far as Instagram reals micro-humour stuff goes; it's clearly been thought about and worked on and I did think Planet of the Bass was a lot of fun last year, but everyone comes off worse from The Simpsons thing. He seemed really proud to be on it, but who gives a gently caress in 2024?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

His Irish Drinking Song is great.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Disco Pope posted:

The Kyle Gordon thing is weird, because he's not bad as far as Instagram reals micro-humour stuff goes; it's clearly been thought about and worked on and I did think Planet of the Bass was a lot of fun last year, but everyone comes off worse from The Simpsons thing. He seemed really proud to be on it, but who gives a gently caress in 2024?

I have nothing against Kyle Gordon and I don't know about any reason why I should. Like, as bad as the Simpsons is, his funny meme song was popular enough to appear on mainstream tv in what was once the greatest comedy ever, I'd be chuffed about that.

credburn posted:

I tried to watch a recent episode of The Simpsons but Kavner's voice hurt to listen to. She sounds like she's suffering to get the voice out.

Honestly, they should just get Nancy Cartwright to do Bart's impression of Marge fulltime at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doG-6KIMG2Y

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They should have a different guest star every week to do Marge

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-l5S4ebvlU

I remember I was surprised when I noticed this guy showing up in a couple different episodes of The Simpsons, since I think he's a later made rando character, and normally Springfield's population is so stagnant.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Oh, Eric Idle, what the hell are you doing there? :eng99:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

he has been in at least 3 episodes as that character

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'm sure it's a very decent paycheck, for what, at most an hours work? I assume Ideal would have a recording booth at home.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

The kid shooting off a gun made me laugh

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I suppose it's not so outlandish to think they might drop in some AI considering how obvious it is that this sucks rear end for Kavner. At some point the rest of the cast might just say "Yes, please do whatever you can to spare her"

Guessing the typical day of a main cast member is driving from a mansion in an expensive car to a reserved spot, recording for an hour or two with first take being final take, occasionally pausing to read a fawning review of how they’ve still got it.

Their lives are in the top 99.999% of voice actors ever to exist, especially as the quality of the product can be trash for decades & no one cares. No way in hell they’d allow any hints of disruption to the scam or recasting. They know Kavner sounds horrible but if Marge could go no one is safe, so probably have a pact to block that and no showrunner is dumb enough to disrupt one of the few remaining shows that still attracts an audience.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Guessing the typical day of a main cast member is driving from a mansion in an expensive car to a reserved spot, recording for an hour or two with first take being final take, occasionally pausing to read a fawning review of how they’ve still got it.

The main cast are all 100% recording their lines from home recording studios. Probably quite a lot of the other voice talent as well.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Looks like someone finally narc'd on the daily simpsons guys twitch stream.

sucks, but I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Idle is not particularly well off, financially, and also doesn't suck as much as some of the other remaining Pythons so I'm glad he's getting some work.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

dr_rat posted:

The main cast are all 100% recording their lines from home recording studios. Probably quite a lot of the other voice talent as well.

That’s probably true. Wonder if show will just abruptly end when 80 year old Harry Shearer has a major health incident. Guessing too much money is at stake & they’d figure something out. Wonder if main cast would allow replacements if they were still paid their full rate for nothing.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Bill Oakley is doing a Q&A right now on Facebook in Simpsons Bortposting.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/755388794646271/

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Empty Sandwich posted:

I thought they only let the cool kids bortpost, what the hell???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

speaking of which:

https://x.com/thatbilloakley/status/1795248789684724124