Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Al-Jazeera put out a profile on the guy before his death was confirmed. Long story short, he was an experienced, talented, and extremely ruthless pillar of the Iranian right who was suspected to be one of the more likely candidates for the next Supreme Leader once Khamenei died or stepped down. Not an easily replaceable loss.

It works on any ayatollah-- Ayatollah Nakhbadeh, Ayatollah Zahedi. As we speak, Ayatollah Razmara and his cadre of fanatics are consolidating their power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Protip: Don't fly a helicopter into a mountainous region with very limited visibility.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Correction,

beer_war posted:

Protip: Don't fly a helicopter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know it was reported yesterday that the IRGC was already on the streets in certain areas, presumably to quell any protests

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Apparently fireworks have been going off in parts of Terhan so somebody's happy he's gone.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

The X-man cometh posted:

Apparently fireworks have been going off in parts of Terhan so somebody's happy he's gone.

He is well loathed at home, and the Iranian government holds power only through continued brutal subjugation of dissent against hangmen like him. Most young Iranian people are quietly celebrating amongst each other today

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Nenonen posted:

You want a list of effects that this will not have? Ooh I hope you have time. Let's start with plate tectonics...

Okay okay. Well Raimi was a hard line conservative hangman, so it will be interesting to see if a more liberal minded president will follow. In the end though it's the Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei who has the final say, so I wouldn't expect much change.

The Supreme Leader has the final say in theory, but rarely in practice and the current one is very old and in poor health. The president wields real power domestically and internationally, so it does matter who succeeds him. But since the system is built to be pretty hardline I agree not much will change.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Count Roland posted:

The Supreme Leader has the final say in theory, but rarely in practice and the current one is very old and in poor health. The president wields real power domestically and internationally, so it does matter who succeeds him. But since the system is built to be pretty hardline I agree not much will change.

Well, not so much in policy, but he was a particularly powerful, competent, and well-respected member of his faction (not to discount his domestic unpopularity, only to say that that was more about his faction in general being brutal fundies - he was unusually good at reaching outside his own team to other major power-brokers). His death has probably done severe damage to his bloc's capacity to function effectively and set up a talented and durable line of succession.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well put

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Reports of near 1,000 deaths of heat stroke so far in this year's Hajj season

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/20/more-than-1000-hajj-pilgrims-die-in-mecca-as-temperatures-hit-high-of-51c

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Out of about 150,000 pilgrims, Pakistan had so far recorded 58 deaths, a diplomat said. “I think given the number of people, given the weather, this is just natural,” the diplomat said.
christ

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
That poo poo is only going to get worse in the coming years, it's grim as hell and you still have people loudly and angrily denying the facts, even as they are right in front of their face

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Muhammed*

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

That poo poo is only going to get worse in the coming years, it's grim as hell and you still have people loudly and angrily denying the facts, even as they are right in front of their face

For a couple years, yeah. But then it will start to get better from ~2030 on, and then it will be pretty decent for the next 20 years.

Also:

"Out of about 150,000 pilgrims, Pakistan had so far recorded 58 deaths, a diplomat said. “I think given the number of people, given the weather, this is just natural,” the diplomat said."

58 people out of 150,000 dying within a 1 week span, of people who are going to be an average age of about 70±10 years, sounds... completely fine and unremarkable. That's only 3000 deaths a year at that rate - which is going to be roughly what you'd expect by chance within any one week interval for a cohort of that age and health status. For instance, what is the baseline number of deaths on cruise ships in the US, which are probably similar levels of health and age as your average hajji?

Also being told you go directly to heaven if you die on hajj probably doesn't make people take the best of precautions, even if I'm sure they'd rather not die, they're not going to stay inside in the air conditioning over it. Young people don't generally go on hajj, especially not from poorer countries, and women specifically are strongly discouraged from going until after menopause. The wait lengths for a hajj visa are long - like literally multiple decades (e: apparently up to 38 years in the longest queue state of Indonesia, and rarely much less than 20 years in any part of large Muslim country) - and it's an incredibly expensive trip, like many tens of thousands of dollars in PPP equivalence.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 21, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Saladman posted:

For a couple years, yeah. But then it will start to get better from ~2030 on, and then it will be pretty decent for the next 20 years.

What do you base this on? Everything I see seem to indicate that temperatures will keep rising after 2030

I would love nothing more than to be wrong, so I'd appreciate some reading that indicates otherwise

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

What do you base this on? Everything I see seem to indicate that temperatures will keep rising after 2030

I would love nothing more than to be wrong, so I'd appreciate some reading that indicates otherwise

The timing of the Hajj is based on the Islamic lunar calendar, so it doesn't always fall during summer in Mecca and Medina. Every solar year, it starts approximately 10 days earlier, so it will be getting into cooler months soon.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The average age of the pilgrims is 42-49.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

A lot of people confuse Hajj with Umrah. They’re very different though. Hajj moves with the solar calendar just like Ramadan, and doing Umrah does not count as doing Hajj.

Paladinus posted:

The average age of the pilgrims is 42-49.

Maybe for KSA/GCC citizens? I do see studies reporting for a lot of countries like RSA and Indonesia a median age of 49, which is surprisingly low to me since the wait list in eg Indonesia is >> 20 years (eg https://english.alarabiya.net/amp/News/gulf/2016/06/22/Indonesians-have-to-wait-for-37-years-to-perform-Haj). I guess people get on the list early. Personally I only know one person who did Hajj, the mom of a friend of mine. It sounds like pretty much the worst possible experience, but Disney World is also bordering on a visit to hell for me, and I seem to be the minority opinion there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Jesus... Eastern Iraq is baking.

* Note: Time stamp is for Eastern Australia which is UTC +10. This is the forecast for 4pm Baghdad time.