Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm on Windows 7 and having serious problems with Windows Update right now.

It'd been about 12 days since I'd installed any updates. I opened the updater to deal with it because I do it manually, checked everything except the Windows 10 upgrade like normal (there were about 22 items, important and optional) and tried to update. But it just hung at "downloading updates 0%" or something to that effect, for about twenty minutes. I stopped it, then tried just installing the smallest update there which was an important security update and it worked, but i had to restart my computer before I could try anything else. When I get back it's the same story, hanging at 0% if I try to install everything or even just a single big update like graphic drivers.

The next thing I tried was to go into the update settings. I changed it from "download but let me install" to "check but let me install and download" just for shits and giggles, and also disabled something called "microsoft updates" with a description like "find out about upgrades for your products" that was vague and weird. It came up with a special warning and after I disabled it the whole section disappeared forever. So as a side note I'm wondering what that was.

So I restarted again and now it's hanging at trying to check updates, looking like this

And it's been like that for at least ten minutes. Any ideas?

Update: Greenshot's upload to imgur feature stopped working at apparently the same time Windows Update did so it could be some obscure network problem. Although I can still obviously browse webpages and I haven't noticed any other effects.

Update 2: I don't have the problem on my laptop, which is also running Windows 7 and is connected to the same router. It's only on my desktop system.

Update 3: My Nvidia driver updater also wouldn't work, but that could be because I've got parts of it's bloate service suite disabled in startup.

I downloaded the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it's doing its thing.

Update 4:

Gonna try downloading the Windows UPdate Readiness Tool to see if it fixes this goddamn poo poo.

Update 5:

Microsoft you absolutely worthless fuckers.

Update 6: I restarted and got it to run, but it's hanging with the install bar here for ten minutes and not using any CPU.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I had that exact issue with a windows 8 install. I was able to use a powershell script to install all the updates that were available, but the update service still refused to behave. I ended up washing my hands of it and throwing 10 on the laptop.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

After a recent HDD failure I've decided to commit to cloud storage as back, I've got ~2tb of data to store, what are my options? I glanced at onedrive and dropbox and they don't seem to make it very easy to add more than 1tb of storage. The chat agent I spoke to at Microsoft suggested I get the 5 different users plan and just use different email addresses. That sounds like an annoying hassle.

Ideas?

For more than 1TB, they consider you a Business, and they reflect that in their pricing at most of these places. (Also, don't go with Microsofts idea because you'll have to log out and log in as a different user with a different email for the OneDrive sync to work). Google is probably the best pricing wise and offers 10TB for 10x the 1TB offering. Dropbox is a bit more. Amazon S3 can be cheaper, but you pay for transit, which can sometimes be a burden, depending on the transit you need to do.

Basically, you have two options: balance between two services (e.g OneDrive and Google Drive holding different things) and/or you get a NAS. With the first option, note that DOCUMENT SYNCING IS NOT BACKUP. If you get something nasty, such as Cryptolocker, or your hard drive controller fails so that it starts introducing read errors into everything, it will sync those changes to the cloud.

f you are backing up your stuff to a service, you need to specifically create a second copy for those services to upload as a backup, which means you also need to double the amount of local storage space, preferably using extra hard drives connected in a different way from your primary data copy to maximize redundancy.

The NAS route is a bit safer as you can not only set it across the house from your computer (Things that might damage your computer are less likely, e.g. small fire or electrical breaker failure) and you can put it into RAID 0 (mirroring) in a 2-disk NAS or RAID5 (multi disk parity) on a 3+ disk NAS to protect the data. Some prosumer NASs come allow you to add on connectors to the cloud services (I've seen Drive connectors on QNAP's app store dealie, but haven't used them) so that what you can additionally upload to a particular share can be further backed up online.

It's all in what you can spend. If you can drop $100/month for Drive, just go with that and create a backup regimen that syncs up. If you can't, you'll have to spend locally to cover secondary storage at the least and, if you still want to extend to cloud backup, it'll be around $20 a month for what your current space requirements are.

Good NAS information is in the NAS Thread. Good backup strategy information is in the Backup Thread.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm on Windows 7 and having serious problems with Windows Update right now.

It'd been about 12 days since I'd installed any updates. I opened the updater to deal with it because I do it manually, checked everything except the Windows 10 upgrade like normal (there were about 22 items, important and optional) and tried to update. But it just hung at "downloading updates 0%" or something to that effect, for about twenty minutes. I stopped it, then tried just installing the smallest update there which was an important security update and it worked, but i had to restart my computer before I could try anything else. When I get back it's the same story, hanging at 0% if I try to install everything or even just a single big update like graphic drivers.

The next thing I tried was to go into the update settings. I changed it from "download but let me install" to "check but let me install and download" just for shits and giggles, and also disabled something called "microsoft updates" with a description like "find out about upgrades for your products" that was vague and weird. It came up with a special warning and after I disabled it the whole section disappeared forever. So as a side note I'm wondering what that was.

So I restarted again and now it's hanging at trying to check updates, looking like this

And it's been like that for at least ten minutes. Any ideas?

Pretty sure it's a known bug from a Microsoft patch, it happened to a hell of a lot of people. I reckon they just don't care all that much about Windows 7 users now.

You'll probably find an svchost process clogging up an entire core for huge stretches of time. Eventually you might be able to update.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 25, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Use CrashPlan instead of a syncing service.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Thermopyle posted:

Use CrashPlan instead of a syncing service.

I was just going to ask about this. Any thoughts on CrashPlan in terms of pros/cons?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Dark One posted:

I had that exact issue with a windows 8 install. I was able to use a powershell script to install all the updates that were available, but the update service still refused to behave. I ended up washing my hands of it and throwing 10 on the laptop.

Yea I had the same issue on a 7 system and just said gently caress it. Now it's on 10.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ynglaur posted:

I was just going to ask about this. Any thoughts on CrashPlan in terms of pros/cons?

Cons
The client can be a memory hog.

Takes a long time to upload terabytes of data.

pros
It's good.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Cons
The client can be a memory hog.

Takes a long time to upload terabytes of data.

pros
It's good.

Quoting for truth.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

CrashPlan is okay, but when people says it'll take awhile to upload Terabytes of data, they mean it. You'll find a lot of reports on the internet about good initial speeds which then plummet to like 50k/s after an hour or so. Its best use is to backup to local/network storage where speeds aren't an issue.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Arsten posted:

CrashPlan is okay, but when people says it'll take awhile to upload Terabytes of data, they mean it. You'll find a lot of reports on the internet about good initial speeds which then plummet to like 50k/s after an hour or so. Its best use is to backup to local/network storage where speeds aren't an issue.

What about using services like Crashplan / Backblaze to backup your NAS? I'm assuming it's the servers on their end that eventually throttle you, but something like a NAS is on 24/7 anyway and however long it takes to do the initial sync, the future rate of change will probably be pretty easy to keep up with.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

What about using services like Crashplan / Backblaze to backup your NAS? I'm assuming it's the servers on their end that eventually throttle you, but something like a NAS is on 24/7 anyway and however long it takes to do the initial sync, the future rate of change will probably be pretty easy to keep up with.

Crashplan does both. It'll backup to your NAS (for free) as well as backing up to their servers (For money). I just think that the upload to their server is incredibly lovely.

That being said, I meant it when I said that file syncing isn't a backup. While I haven't used Crashplan in awhile, that's how it backed up a few years ago. It's much better to go with a differencing/incremental backup implementation of some sort.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Does CrashPlan support incremental updates by file? Within files?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I upgraded to WIn10 last night, and today I'm looking to get everything else that I normally use set up and mostly back to normal. I had Win7 previously, and I mostly just want to know if I should do what I was doing with that OS, or if there's new standards for things. Like, is Firefox with Adblock and NoScript still the solid choice of browser, or is this new Edge thing really amazing in some non-obvious way? Do I still need separate anti-malware, or is Windows Defender good? And I had my operating system on an SSD by itself, while I had all my other programs installed on a separate hard drive. Do I need to reinstall them all to get them to work, or does that even matter?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I did my win7 to win10 update last summer, I didn't have to reinstall anything and it was actually a pleasant experience.

I did have to go through the Settings/apps pane to clear out all the new crappy apps Microsoft foisted on us. Also go through the privacy stuff and uncheck all the boxes.

Edge is probably fine, it's not as polished as more mature browsers and extension availability is limited.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

neogeo0823 posted:

I upgraded to WIn10 last night, and today I'm looking to get everything else that I normally use set up and mostly back to normal. I had Win7 previously, and I mostly just want to know if I should do what I was doing with that OS, or if there's new standards for things. Like, is Firefox with Adblock and NoScript still the solid choice of browser, or is this new Edge thing really amazing in some non-obvious way? Do I still need separate anti-malware, or is Windows Defender good? And I had my operating system on an SSD by itself, while I had all my other programs installed on a separate hard drive. Do I need to reinstall them all to get them to work, or does that even matter?

Firefox is fine, but replace AdBlock with uBlock Origin. Windows Defender is fine. Put all your programs on your SSD so you can get the benefits of having an SSD.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Does CrashPlan support incremental updates by file? Within files?

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Backup_FAQ

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Toast Museum posted:

Firefox is fine, but replace AdBlock with uBlock Origin. Windows Defender is fine. Put all your programs on your SSD so you can get the benefits of having an SSD.

It's a 64gb SSD :negative:

I'm saving up for a bigger one, though. For now, I'm content with an 8 second start up time for the operating system.

And thanks for the suggestions.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

It's a 64gb SSD :negative:

I'm saving up for a bigger one, though. For now, I'm content with an 8 second start up time for the operating system.

And thanks for the suggestions.
Running intermittent scans with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is also a good supplement to Windows Defender.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for googling for me...I should have done that myself. :shobon:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm phone posting so can't find it but there's a CrashPlan support page that explains how to do a fast initial backup

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

What's a good hard drive partition software? I just built a new desktop after not doing so for 10 years and I pulled some of the hard drives from my old desktop which had one drive with Linux and another with hackintosh OSX installed. Disk Management in Administrative Tools could see the drives but wouldn't let me delete or format them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ihatepants posted:

What's a good hard drive partition software? I just built a new desktop after not doing so for 10 years and I pulled some of the hard drives from my old desktop which had one drive with Linux and another with hackintosh OSX installed. Disk Management in Administrative Tools could see the drives but wouldn't let me delete or format them.

Use the built in DISKPART tool at the command prompt. It will let you delete any partitions you currently have on any of your drives. Now this requires that you be very careful with what you select, of course.

Follow the DISKPART commands in this article to do it:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738489%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Once those weird partitions are deleted, you can then go back into the standard Disk Management tools to create a brand new Windows partition, or extend one that already existed on the drive to full size.

So in this picture to illustrate, i list my disks, i select Disk 1 (which is my external drive, your system boot drive is almost always disk 0. Never select disk 0) and then list the partitions on it. I would then issue a delete command for the numbered partition I didn't want... but I ain't doing that here because then I'd wipe out my files there :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Where's a good place to buy a Windows 7 or 8 key? I have an old desktop that is fine but it just needs a new boot drive. I only want to use it for older games and use roxio game capture, which is not 100% compatible with windows 10.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

fishmech posted:

Use the built in DISKPART tool at the command prompt. It will let you delete any partitions you currently have on any of your drives. Now this requires that you be very careful with what you select, of course.

Follow the DISKPART commands in this article to do it:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738489%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Once those weird partitions are deleted, you can then go back into the standard Disk Management tools to create a brand new Windows partition, or extend one that already existed on the drive to full size.

So in this picture to illustrate, i list my disks, i select Disk 1 (which is my external drive, your system boot drive is almost always disk 0. Never select disk 0) and then list the partitions on it. I would then issue a delete command for the numbered partition I didn't want... but I ain't doing that here because then I'd wipe out my files there :v:

Thank you! If I wanted to delete a partition, though, and merge it with an NTFS one, I would have to use a third party application, right?

I apparently split one of my 2TB into 1TB partitions, one of which was OSX and the other NTFS. The NTFS partition is to the "right" of the the OSX one, which is now unallocated.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
My Windows Update problem seems to have been fixed by manually downloading and installing this update. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jewel Repetition posted:

My Windows Update problem seems to have been fixed by manually downloading and installing this update. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608

I second this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ihatepants posted:

Thank you! If I wanted to delete a partition, though, and merge it with an NTFS one, I would have to use a third party application, right?

I apparently split one of my 2TB into 1TB partitions, one of which was OSX and the other NTFS. The NTFS partition is to the "right" of the the OSX one, which is now unallocated.

You should be able, once you delete the OS X partition, expand the NTFS partition to the full drive just using Disk Management. You might also copy any data off that to one of your other drives, delete the NTFS partition as well, and make a whole new partition for the drive.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I notice Windows now has this Fast Start thing. I'm totally fine with the speed that my computer takes to start up as it is. I'm not really interested in having it go in 4 seconds or whatever instead of 8 seconds. Is there any reason I should have it enabled?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

neogeo0823 posted:

I notice Windows now has this Fast Start thing. I'm totally fine with the speed that my computer takes to start up as it is. I'm not really interested in having it go in 4 seconds or whatever instead of 8 seconds. Is there any reason I should have it enabled?

All it does is load required device drivers into memory as a single block, instead of individually picking them up from disc as the HAL requests them.

I have no idea what objection you have to this unless it is causing startup crashes?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The only bummer is that it might be harder to get into the bios. My one pc boots up so fast that the manufacturer has a utility to reboot to bios.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Windows 10 has that built into the Advanced Startup menu for precisely that reason.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I upgraded to Windows 10 but was an idiot and didn't extract my office 2010 key so I'm without office for now.

I checked my work email and it allegedly qualifies for HUP but I can't find any information about it from it/hr. If I used the benefit does the company know? Any other downsides to using HUP?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Massasoit posted:

I upgraded to Windows 10 but was an idiot and didn't extract my office 2010 key so I'm without office for now.

I checked my work email and it allegedly qualifies for HUP but I can't find any information about it from it/hr. If I used the benefit does the company know? Any other downsides to using HUP?

HUP usually requires you to give ~15$ to the company and get a key from them.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

HUP usually requires you to give ~15$ to the company and get a key from them.

Interesting. Went in Microsofthup.com and put in my work email. Recieved an email saying I was eligible. Microsoft wants $10 from the web store but that seems to be about it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I manage HUP here, your work has poo poo to do with it. We just give people the MS HUP url and they have at it. We don't get notified if anyone buys it or what the key is.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

GreenNight posted:

I manage HUP here, your work has poo poo to do with it. We just give people the MS HUP url and they have at it. We don't get notified if anyone buys it or what the key is.

Admittedly it has been a long time since I've seen anyone use HUP.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

neogeo0823 posted:

On a desktop machine, zero. Your PC boots up 4 seconds faster, but now you can't boot from USB or access the bios without going through extra rigamarole. I cannot think of any reason not to just use S3 sleep. It's even faster to resume than fast boot, and it uses a completely trivial amount of power while sleeping.

For a laptop fast boot is better, since you want full power off and booting is a more frequent activity.

EoRaptor posted:

All it does is load required device drivers into memory as a single block, instead of individually picking them up from disc as the HAL requests them.

it's actually a hibernate that's had everything but the kernel & drivers unloaded first, and uefi helps pull it all back into memory directly.

which is another reason to skip fast boot: you have to keep hibernate enabled to use it. if you have a small-ish SSD that you want to get the most useful space from, that means losing 75% of your ram size to hiberfil.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks for the dissection of that. Looks like I won't be needing that feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

Admittedly it has been a long time since I've seen anyone use HUP.

I use it because I like having Project and Visio. I still have an O365 subscription for the other laptops / tablets in my house, though.