Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

MUch like your posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i'm not sure i'd be into it as much as stux but it is fun to bang against weird rear end systems and see what happens sometimes.

I really should play more rimworld, as i understand it there's been dlc and probably plenty of mods since I played it last during EA

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Working through the Might and Magic series, starting with 9. I finished that game, it really loving sucks. Maybe it's just because its a very dated game and it was better back in the day, but this was not fun to play in any way.

I have mentioned this before but there is mod that merges Might and Magic 6, 7 and 8 together under 8’s engine. I’m not sure I recommend it for a first play-through because it makes them pretty easy thanks to 8’s mechanics. It also modernizes the controls a little by adding mouse look and more quick spell slots.

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16657

It’s neat and makes some old games a bit more tolerable by modern standards.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

my brain desires the most unapproachable and player ambivalent gaming experiences

much like your unapproachable and reader ambivalent posting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sharrrk posted:

MUch like your posting

gently caress I didn't hit next page before posting

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
feh

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

goblin week posted:

9 was legitimately the worst M&M game of all the numbered entries. And that includes the weird early ones!

The weird early ones are among the best!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

the few things i've read seem strange enough that the game sounds cool. my biggest issue with rimworld is that I have a hard time deciding what to actually do (that's on me, not a flaw in the game imo.) Does this one have any more direction to it?

You might like Rise to Ruins. It's a city-building sim type game, but after a time your map area starts to get encroached by undead forces. You still build up your town and try to upgrade it and make it efficient and cool and all that, but you'll also need to start building defenses of some sort. Over time and if you let the undead claim too much of the map, it ramps up difficulty and you build more elaborate defenses or tower-defense type mazes using the level landscape.

You're not really supposed to wipe out the undead on each map, each region of the gameworld is its own area for you to build and fight the undead back with. You make meta-progress depending on how advanced and how long your towns go, and eventually you can take over enough of the world to start beating back the undead, I think. I've got about 53 hours in it, but sometimes I also just let my town run in the background for hours to come check back in every now and then like a mildly attentive god.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

gently caress I didn't hit next page before posting

its too late. now your powers are mine

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

a solid game, I would say.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sharrrk posted:

I'll submit the mod transfer request to the admins right away

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I started playing CK3 but it’s pretty overwhelming. I’m just fabricating claims and over extending myself with wars. I don’t even know where to start when it comes to marrying my kids off to further my realm.

I lower a fight and the game crashes when I tried to reload a save, but I had been letting the game sit for a few hours while I was working. Maybe I’ll find some videos that explain the nuances and try again

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LeafyOrb posted:

I have mentioned this before but there is mod that merges Might and Magic 6, 7 and 8 together under 8’s engine. I’m not sure I recommend it for a first play-through because it makes them pretty easy thanks to 8’s mechanics. It also modernizes the controls a little by adding mouse look and more quick spell slots.

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16657

It’s neat and makes some old games a bit more tolerable by modern standards.

This is very cool, thank you! I think I want to do this after I hopefully finish the whole series.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i like collecting in a 3d platformer if it's a reward for exploring... the thing that's different for a 3d platformer vs an open world game is that the levels are much smaller spaces that can adhere to the one city block concept

i'd much rather explore a small space than explore a massive sprawling open world. i got a poo poo-ton of moons in mario odyssey but i mostly just played the campaign and only a couple of side quests in BOTW

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

dumb post incoming: i've been looking at my list of games I've played this year, ramping up to goty, and i've hit a weird issue. i'll probably effortpost in the future about games i've played that won't make the cut but I think are interesting, but i almost feel like two games - Kentucky Route 0 and Pathologic 2 - are almost too good to be on a goty list, that putting them there would be frivolous. for me, at least, these two work at art pieces on a level above your average game and probably deserve a discussion of their own.
Roger Ebert did that with Shoah. And now hes dead

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Looper posted:

i finished luigi's mansion 3 several days ago and very much enjoyed it but it's only now occurring to me that the final boss doesn't use the super suction mechanic introduced kinda late at all. like what the heck, such a missed opportunity!
How many times do you use the super suction? Like 2? Maybe it's in all the extra content?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When i think of luigis mansion 3 bosses i dont think "boy i wish these bosses required more steps to kill"

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
not video game related, but i just finished watching HOUSE(or hausu) for the first time

what the gently caress

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bovis posted:

One time at a sushi train in Japan I had this "Hamburger Sushi" which was like a mini Japanese style hamburg patty on some rice. It was very silly and good.

Serious answer though I love the basic salmon and tuna. Also the egg ones are pretty good.

So I don't have nori and I have the wrong type of rice, but I just got some Japanese seven-spice (shichi-mi tōgarashi), and I thought I'd try something out, a fake-rear end burger and egg nigiri

This brown rice doesn't clump together so this ended up being a spoon-and-fork deal, but I did vinegar the rice and that added a whole lot to the dish.

I dried out the burger a bit too much when cooking, so I actually preferred the egg ones. The real star was how the vinegar rice and the seven-spice collaborated -- seven-spice has dried orange peel in it, and that synergized with the vinegar/sugar in the rice super well, I would recommend it in general

Edit: fun fact the first result for searching "hamburger sushi" is something that involves wrapping bacon around ground beef and slathering the roll in bbq sauce :stare:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 14, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This is my favorite image in the entirety of SH1 and I looked for it when you posted you were doing this but couldn't find it. In SH3 it's a funny callback because Heather's the one who was supposed to have drawn it, so she knows what it is, but when loving Harry finds the notebook and all he sees is the stupid drawing he still responds "It's a picture of me..."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is my favorite image in the entirety of SH1 and I looked for it when you posted you were doing this but couldn't find it. In SH3 it's a funny callback because Heather's the one who was supposed to have drawn it, so she knows what it is, but when loving Harry finds the notebook and all he sees is the stupid drawing he still responds "It's a picture of me..."

loving :same:, it’s my iPad wallpaper

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I don't have nori and I have the wrong type of rice, but I just got some Japanese seven-spice (shichi-mi tōgarashi), and I thought I'd try something out, a fake-rear end burger and egg nigiri

drat that's awesome! They look good enough to me, wish I could have tried them!

Did a search for what I got in Japan and found some photos someone had taken on tripadvisor, the place was called Genki Sushi in Shibuya

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Happy Halloween I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE99BZkRnYk&t=346s

At first I was like "WHY?" but you know, this is pretty funny

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stadia to announce "3 days of good stuff" from October 20-22 so stay tuned for finding out what they plan to announce before the PS5 and XSX slam into consumers hands.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"We're turning it off"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Happy Halloween I guess?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ffxiv got a patch today, adding a zone to the game where you run around killing poo poo and occasionally spawn 48-person boss fights. Several of the bosses have a hilarious mechanic where, when they end, the boss picks a random player who dodged every single one of its attacks. That player gets singled out for a duel with a followup boss, where every dodgeable attack it uses kills you in one hit. These bosses aren't instanced they're just sitting out in the world, with a wall preventing people from interfering, but they can still watch. So you get the other 47 people who fought the boss just lining up outside the wall to watch this poor souls die on the third attack the followup boss does lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

ffxiv got a patch today, adding a zone to the game where you run around killing poo poo and occasionally spawn 48-person boss fights. Several of the bosses have a hilarious mechanic where, when they end, the boss picks a random player who dodged every single one of its attacks. That player gets singled out for a duel with a followup boss, where every dodgeable attack it uses kills you in one hit. These bosses aren't instanced they're just sitting out in the world, with a wall preventing people from interfering, but they can still watch. So you get the other 47 people who fought the boss just lining up outside the wall to watch this poor souls die on the third attack the followup boss does lmao

that's pretty cool, and if somebody actually pulled off the boss kill they'd be a legend to those 47 people

that's the kind of thing people should be trying with chasing the fortnite zeitgeist, instead of just literally cloning fortnite

E: That's actually incredibly close to the GANTZ-inspired co-op mode I was saying fortnite should add

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

sharrrk posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

I'll submit the mod transfer request to the admins right away

I think you have to take this to the 1v1 thread

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here are my rankings for open world barriers:

1. Really tall mountains
2, Water
3. Radioactive zones
4. Invisible walls
5. Invisible walls with a “You cannot go this way” message when you touch them

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

1. Really tall mountains
2, Water
3. Radioactive zones
4. Invisible walls

you ever think the invisible walls are caused by radiation?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

1. Really tall mountains
2, Water
3. Radioactive zones
4. Invisible walls

Radioactive zones are the worst. They usually come with a really irritating blaring warning and drain your health while your try to get out.

V And if you move the camera back to look at the land, it sort of looks like you're getting further away from it. But you're trapped.

stev fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 14, 2020

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jay Rust posted:

1. Really tall mountains
2, Water
3. Radioactive zones
4. Invisible walls

what about oceans that make you think you're swimming but your character isn't actually moving they're just doing the swimming animation?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

1. Really tall mountains
2, Water
3. Radioactive zones
4. Invisible walls

what about giant monsters

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite wall is in Daytona USA if you turn around and drive the wrong way on one of the courses you hit a dead end with a sign that says "Congratulations! You just lost your sponsors!"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think it's Borderlands that has water with sentry turrets that shoot you if you swim out too far?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Force fields
Chasms
Burly men shaking their head "no"
Fences

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jay Rust posted:

1. Really tall mountains
2, Water
3. Radioactive zones
4. Invisible walls

0. Relatively small planets so the only thing stopping you from going anywhere is the vastness of space (Hi, Outer Wilds!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

ymgve posted:

0. Relatively small planets so the only thing stopping you from going anywhere is the vastness of space (Hi, Outer Wilds!)

Also seen in Mario Galaxy