Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

MedicineHut posted:

Speaking of which I am quite doubtful HG has managed to put out all they have put out with just the usually parroted 20-30 dev staff. They must have made extensive use of third party development companies and external support/hires of all kinds.

I was trying to peruse their latest financials for any references to that in their expenditure/costs figures: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06663645/filing-history/MzI0MDkxNTA4M2FkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

If any accountantgoon can spare some time to shed some light that would be great. Asking for a friend.

It's disclosed in there and kind of interesting.
For the 18 month period ended 31 January 2018 they had 20 developers and 1 administration employee.
For the 9 month period ended 31 October 2018 they had 30 developers and 2 administration employees.

The 21 employees over 18 months to 31 Jan 2018 were paid £34m total. That's around £1.08m pa per employee!

The 32 employees over 9 months to 31 October 2018 were paid £1.2m total. That's around £50,000 pa per employee. Note, the director (S Murray) was paid £52,000 for the 9 months, so ~£69k pro-rata compared to the £50k average.

Seems like they probably paid out some long-term loyalty/bonus rewards to some employees during that 18 month period and things are "normal" in the following 9 months.

There's really no room for third party expenditure in the most recent 9 month period. If you compare those total salaries (now including ER NI and pension contributions) of £1.33m with total cost of sales of £1.72m that only leaves £390k for the entirety of all their non-salary costs during those 9 months.

Tax edit: Hello Games Ltd paid £6.8m corporation tax in those 9 months

shrach fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Wiborg1978/status/1160656759163408384

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

It's rather interesting to see the trappings of a media franchise before the core.

You got your advertising, your swag, your streamers, your CCG based on the property,. And yet, still no game that should be the heart of all of this.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Tut tut - brigading.

Anyway, who is this Wiborg1978 character? Is he a Calder 46 million dollar investment or has he been around for a while?

Fake edit: WTFOsaurus :laffo: you weird creep.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It's so organic

Definitely not carefully staged in anticipation of another lovely convention

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drunk Theory posted:

It's rather interesting to see the trappings of a media franchise before the core.

You got your advertising, your swag, your streamers, your CCG based on the property,. And yet, still no game that should be the heart of all of this.

They're layering the game in over the marketing. Sandi can't help being better at one of her jobs than everyone else.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

MedicineHut posted:

Speaking of which I am quite doubtful HG has managed to put out all they have put out with just the usually parroted 20-30 dev staff. They must have made extensive use of third party development companies and external support/hires of all kinds.

I was trying to peruse their latest financials for any references to that in their expenditure/costs figures: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06663645/filing-history/MzI0MDkxNTA4M2FkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

If any accountantgoon can spare some time to shed some light that would be great. Asking for a friend.

They spend a lot of time making procedural tools so they can make a lot of stuff with a small number of devs.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

is it symbolic that all we're seeing is a carefully composed picture of the box and not the card game?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

just like Croberts, a void where the heart should be

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm beginning to think this trainwreck won't arrive on time.

The trainwreck is the threads me made along the way

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

is it symbolic that all we're seeing is a carefully composed picture of the box and not the card game?

That's because the card game will probably be "my $650 chariot beats your $110 cutlass"

Truly Fidelitious

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Tut tut - brigading.

Anyway, who is this Wiborg1978 character? Is he a Calder 46 million dollar investment or has he been around for a while?

Fake edit: WTFOsaurus :laffo: you weird creep.
It's promoting some crap movie with Sandi. It can't be real.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GDI noooooooooooo

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol :rip: starbase

but you were an mmo so this was probably already coming.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Lethality, killing an mmo in 3 minutes or less.

That loving avatar though, you see that in your favorite game's forum and you know it's all over. The devs probably clear their desks and update their cv the moment it appears.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Why is backer $$$ going towards stuff like fancy office doors or giant ship models hanging in the lobby rather than the game?

:iiam:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Technically, SQ42 is the thing that was originally kickstarted, wasn't it? SC is the thing dragging THAT down.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Technically, SQ42 is the thing that was originally kickstarted, wasn't it? SC is the thing dragging THAT down.

That kinda depends; follow the lady, see where she goes, where she ends up, nobody knows.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Hav posted:

That kinda depends; follow the lady, see where she goes, where she ends up, nobody knows.

Ooo! Ooo! I know!

In Chris and Sandi's offshore bank account?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MarcusSA posted:

GDI noooooooooooo

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, wait...

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Anyone know if there’s a way to use stick + keyboard in RGO? I couldn’t use keyboard while using the stick it forced me to go to mouse control to use any of the keyboard binds.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Warhawk109 posted:

Anyone know if there’s a way to use stick + keyboard in RGO? I couldn’t use keyboard while using the stick it forced me to go to mouse control to use any of the keyboard binds.

Make sure the stuff you want to use the keyboard for is unbound on the stick

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Daztek posted:

Make sure the stuff you want to use the keyboard for is unbound on the stick

Ahh I see. Thanks!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hmm... they seem to not know their facts.

"... in 2012 ... and millions of us trusted and followed him"

In 2012, that would have been under 1 million right? And the estmiate for the number of backers at this time is somewhere between 1 and 2 million? Probably closer to 1?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That depends on what CIG are shovelling as being the focus at any given time. If they are focusing on SQ42, then that was the original plan. If they are focusing on SC, then that was the orginal plan.

History is fluid.. or maybe a gas, possibly argon.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Well, if they showed the cards themselves, then people could get them for free by copying the J.P.G.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tsar Mikey posted:

Can't wait to get home and paint Crobear on my Rebel Galaxy Outlaw ship.

Please post screenshots of it :D

He looks as though he is experiencing some toilet related issues.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He obviously doesn't understand backer development.

But he kind of has a point in his own misguided way. People were (are) throwing money at CIG for their fantasy spaceships in SC, not SQ42. Sure, many want SQ42 and some want it more than SC, and i'm also sure that some people spent money on JPGs with the hope of providing more funds to SQ42.

But CIG have been pretty clear all along (one of the few things they have been clear about!), that they are making 2 games with the money given to them. At least since 2013 i think. Earlier it was a bit fuzzier, more like an epic single player game that would unfold into an online game with private servers and a common server and moddability and all sorts of wonderful things... possbly a partridge in a pear tree, or maybe they stopperd short of promising that.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Give it one or two more years and this guy will get served a cease and desist letter from Coutts to stop using images derived from the intellectual property seized and owned solely by Coutts Bank.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tsar Mikey posted:

Can't wait to get home and paint Crobear on my Rebel Galaxy Outlaw ship.
No, paint an Idris.

Tell Star Citizens you have an Idris.

Watch the fireworks when they try to tell you "no, you only have a picture of an Idris" and their brains short out.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

big nipples big life posted:

After watching some streams of it RGO is firmly in the 10 bucks or less category for me. Seems like you've seen everything the game has to offer in an hour but that hour looks pretty cool.

That’s kind of my impression as well. Again it seems like a lot of people wanted to believe that a low budget indie game was going to be a true AAA evolution of the space sim genre.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav posted:

They're all Queens, until you flip them over and realize you've got the Jack of 2 Weeks.

The project pitch is just vague enough/patched phrases to be anything you want.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

possbly a partridge in a pear tree, or maybe they stopperd short of promising that.

Procedural birds and trees were fairly early on the list.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXeE4_8Hf3U

Well drat. Waiting for NMS PC VR patches then :saddowns:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Medley:

https://twitter.com/gameglassgg/status/1161695268838039558

https://twitter.com/notasnervous/status/1161734327593590785

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:reddit::laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Meridian posted:

Any of you guys pick up the new Rebel Galaxy?

But have you checked out Star Citizen, yet?