Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
nevermind, it looks like there's a thread for Portrait

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
nevermind it looks like there's a thread for Portrait

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 18, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

axelblaze posted:

When Batman moved from Fox to WB they changed the Batman style to be inline with the new Superman cartoon and most of the character designs suffered for it.

I remember reading somewhere that the major reason for the change in style was because that was easier and therefore cheaper to animate.

Flying Zamboni posted:

I think the only BTAS character design that improved on the move to WB was Scarecrow. I actually like the style for Superman but for BTAS it was a pretty big visual downgrade from the more heavily noir-inspired look of the first seasons.

I don't know if it's better or worse but I'm still amused at them making Bane into someone you'd see in a gay BDSM club.

I didn't realize that was a real person until I saw the other pictures. I thought it was one of those poorly made wax statues they have a lovely carnivals and things like that.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finally got round to watching Age of Ultron

Man i have a lot of comic book movies to get through

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You could just stop, fyi.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He already got past the worst parts though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Steve Yun posted:

Possibly, I've not seen any of Thor films, in fact maybe just the first 2 iron man movies, the first captain america and the first avengers.

Really i just watched Ultron because i needed a good cinematic movie on Valentine's day to try out a new soundbar but kinda drawn to watching the rest now

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Possibly, I've not seen any of Thor films, in fact maybe just the first 2 iron man movies, the first captain america and the first avengers.

Really i just watched Ultron because i needed a good cinematic movie on Valentine's day to try out a new soundbar but kinda drawn to watching the rest now

Just watch Ragnarok and ignore everything else imo

I'm making my second pass at Hard To Be A God. I can't think of a movie outside of Polanski's Macbeth that captures grime and squalor so vividly, but the antifacist message is obscured by such an excess of formalism that its unfortunately kinda weak all round. Definitely recommend the English translation of the novel, though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I, Butthole posted:

Just watch Ragnarok and ignore everything else imo

I hate Ragnarok, and would rank it among the most insulting movies I’ve ever seen. It doesn’t think I’m smart enough to understand any jokes or remotely complex emotions, so everything felt spoon-fed to me, like the entire movie was pretending it was an airplane and I needed to open up to receive my slop.

If you’re going to watch any one MCU movie, make it Iron Man 3 because that one actually feels like a singular person wrote parts of it, although you can still tell exactly which bits were re-written by committee.

Or better yet, don’t watch the MCU, just watch Dredd on repeat.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Or better yet, don’t watch the MCU, just watch Punisher War Zone on repeat.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My favorite scene in Ragnarok is when they go find Odin on some Pacific island masquerading as Norway and he Poochies out of the movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Safety Factor posted:

My favorite scene in Ragnarok is when they go find Odin on some Pacific island masquerading as Norway and he Poochies out of the movie.

My favorite bit was Skurge’s redemption because he literally didn’t do anything evil through the whole movie, whenever he was about to do something evil, he was stopped.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My favorite part of Ragnarok is the one where they give a passing mention to Odin‘s rule being built on imperialism and genocide and the solution proposed is that his next of kin will be a kinder leader.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lord help me, the Sonic movie is growing on me the more time I spend away from it. The moments you remember from the movie once you leave are admittedly pretty funny, and the bad stuff is bad enough that you get over it quickly. It’s still not a particularly great movie, but it is memorable.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
My favorite character in Ragnarok is the famed comedy director himself playing an alien who tells jokes and then immediately follows up the jokes with jokes about how he just told a joke.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I gotta check out Portrait, I hated the trailer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I quite enjoyed Ragnarok. Does that make me a bad person? :ohdear:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I gotta check out Portrait, I hated the trailer.

The trailer made it look like Felix Biederman’s idea of what foreign films are.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Ragnarok is really good, gently caress the haters.

I'm not an MCU die-hard but I do own some of the movies and sometimes I'm in the mood for some stupidly expensive big blockbuster action and they mostly deliver on that front. There's room to enjoy the MCU and also recognize that Scorsese was right about what it is.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My favorite bit was Skurge’s redemption because he literally didn’t do anything evil through the whole movie, whenever he was about to do something evil, he was stopped.
I found out after the fact that that was some big scene in the comics from the loving 80s or some poo poo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

therattle posted:

I still have to chuckle when I think of Urban's "BEHOLD... my stuff"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The trailer made it look like Felix Biederman’s idea of what foreign films are.

It's the Telluride Film Festival Palme D' Or Candidate ticking clock/ripping paper ASMR trailer. Can't take it!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Safety Factor posted:

I found out after the fact that that was some big scene in the comics from the loving 80s or some poo poo.

It works in the comics because Skurge had a 20 some odd year history both as a villain and a screw up. It'd be like if Cillian Murphy's Jonathan Crane sacrificed himself to stop Bane at the end of Dark Knight Rises.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/cubmoth/status/1229780750842679296?s=21

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Jeez I really hope portrait comes to a theatre where I can see it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Jeez I really hope portrait comes to a theatre where I can see it.

Look into listings for March. My local indie's getting it around March 13th.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All I know about Portrait of a Lady on Fire is that I saw a movie where the same lead actress falls in love with and has sex with a carnvial ride.

Oddly enough the movie's main problem was it wasn't weird enough.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

axelblaze posted:

All I know about Portrait of a Lady on Fire is that I saw a movie where the same lead actress falls in love with and has sex with a carnvial ride.

Oddly enough the movie's main problem was it wasn't weird enough.

Twisted adaptation when

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

therattle posted:

you monster!

it's fun I like it too

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Twisted adaptation when

Yeah isn't this a direct rip of Twisted??

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

Ragnarok is really good, gently caress the haters.

I'm not an MCU die-hard but I do own some of the movies and sometimes I'm in the mood for some stupidly expensive big blockbuster action and they mostly deliver on that front. There's room to enjoy the MCU and also recognize that Scorsese was right about what it is.

It's the only MCU film I have seen. I watched in on recommendations from here and a friend of mine, when I was in the mood for something entertaining and unchallenging. It wasn't aggressively stupid (at all) - I thought it had some wit, the scale in terms of design, sets and costumes that only massive blockbusters can deliver, it had spectacle, and I was entertained.

This Ruben Ostlund film is bloody complicated.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Outsider is some pretty good TV about a pennywise

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We are REALLY enjoying Sex Education.

There is a new play out called The Upstart Crow featuring David Mitchell (who is a pretty big TV/radio comic actor here - from Peep Show). It's based on a TV series by Ben Elton (also well-known comic) and they have done a stage adaptation. I thought it looked good so investigated tickets. The go up to £152 for a seat. The cheapest seats with unrestricted view are on the second upper level, right at the back, for £45 each. Decent seats are a minimum £62.50. gently caress that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

We are REALLY enjoying Sex Education.

There is a new play out called The Upstart Crow featuring David Mitchell (who is a pretty big TV/radio comic actor here - from Peep Show). It's based on a TV series by Ben Elton (also well-known comic) and they have done a stage adaptation. I thought it looked good so investigated tickets. The go up to £152 for a seat. The cheapest seats with unrestricted view are on the second upper level, right at the back, for £45 each. Decent seats are a minimum £62.50. gently caress that.

How much do you think Nathan Lane era Producer's tickets cost. I love theater, but the upper levels of it are completely inaccessible to people of modest means, and that's ignoring the geographic inaccessibility, not everyone lives within a day's drive of New York or London.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

How much do you think Nathan Lane era Producer's tickets cost. I love theater, but the upper levels of it are completely inaccessible to people of modest means, and that's ignoring the geographic inaccessibility, not everyone lives within a day's drive of New York or London.

I know, it's absolutely ridiculous. This isn't even a really high-profile must-see play. I love good theatre but it's so expensive, often uncomfortable, and if it's just OK then it feels incredibly bad value. And bad theatre is just excruciating.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1229913522039066624?s=20

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
That's... quite the clashing sensibilities

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Coaaab posted:

That's... quite the clashing sensibilities

I don't think so. They both like making movies about ambitious losers and their grifts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oh hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Steve Yun posted:

Depends on if they are restricting themselves to just the MCU or not. Like there's the 70s Dr Strange movie starring Jessica Walter or the '90 Captain America movie starring J.D. Salinger's son where the mask has fake ears on it.